OtakuBoards

PlayStation 3

James

[color=#737373]Sony's E3 press conference is now over and today brought the news that everyone was looking for; the unveiling of PlayStation 3.

[center][img]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/news/05/16/ps3_screen004.jpg[/img][/center]

The new system is set to arrive in Spring 2006, although Sony hasn't yet provided any specific dates.

Only recently, Microsoft revealed Xbox 360, which has a pretty impressive list of technical specifications. Put simply, it's significantly more powerful than any current generation systems. However, PlayStation 3 appears to one-up Xbox 360 by a pretty reasonable margin.

So that it's easy to browse, I'll just create a bullet list of all the features and specs announced thusfar.

[b]Media Format[/b]
[list]
[*]Blu-Ray disc (holding up to six times more data than current DVDs)
[*]CD-ROM
[*]CD-RW
[*]DVD
[*]DVD-ROM
[*]DVD-R
[*]DVD+R
[/list][b]Memory/Other[/b]
[list]
[*]Memory Stick Duo
[*]SD slot
[*]Compact Flash Memory Slot
[*]Detatchable 2.5-inch HDD
[/list][b]Peripherals[/b]
[list]
[*]Support for up to seven Bluetooth game controllers
[*]Six USB ports (four at the front, two at the back)
[/list][b]Hardware Specifications[/b]
[list]
[*]Cell processor, running at 3.2 GHz (2.18 teraflops overall performance)
[*]26MB XDR main RAM at 3.2GHz
[*]256MB GDDR VRAM at 700MHz
[*]nVidia graphics chip RSX "Reality Synthesizer", capable of 128bit pixel precision and 1080p resolution
[*]512MB graphics render memory
[*]100 billion shader operations and 51 billion dot products per second
[/list][center][img]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/news/05/16/ps3_screen005.jpg[/img][/center]

During the conference, Sony showed an Unreal 3 tech demo. Tim Sweeney from Epic Games mentioned that PlayStation 3 is "easy to program for".

Various other games were confirmed. Metal Gear Solid 4, Devil May Cry 4, Tekken 6, Gran Turismo 5, a new Killzone and a new GTA game are all in the works. The next GTA is scheduled to launch with PlayStation 3 itself.

Finally, PS3 is to be backward compatible with both PlayStation 2 and the original PlayStation.

[center][img]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/news/05/16/ps3_screen003.jpg[/img][/center]

[center][img]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/news/05/16/ps3_screen006.jpg[/img][/center]

[center][img]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/news/05/16/ps3_screen002.jpg[/img][/center]

[left]Edit: Please excuse the size of the pictures. I'll see about putting thumbnails in here instead.[/color][/left]

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[size=1]It looks more like some sort of photo copier, than a games console, lol.

However, those sepcifics are pretty tight, I'm glad to see that they are implementing a new disc technology rather than sticking with DVD. DVD is beign pushed to it's limits as it is.

it's not something I'm absolutely enthusistic about buying, as I'm still quite ahppy with my PS2, I'll have to see what games are announced and how advanced they are on the new console first. GTA4 should be a treat, though.

Edit: Ajeh, I thought ot that as well. It's quite dissapointing since the first two consoles had their own design, and the PS3 is just going with a generic font used in the posterwork of a major blockbuster movie series.

I haven't seen the controller though. I hope the one I found with the red 'marble' is a fake.
[/size]

[color=#737373]I like the console's design. Nothing amazing, but a whole lot prettier than Xbox 360 (not that it says much, lol).

I have no idea if that font is final, however, I agree that it looks very Spider-Man.

As for the controller...check it out here: [url="http://www.loudnoises.org/E3/PS3.jpg"]http://www.loudnoises.org/E3/PS3.jpg[/url]

It does look a bit freaky, doesn't it? Hoepfully it has some sort of new feature other than Bluetooth. I'm disappointed that the Xbox and PlayStation controllers are essentially remaining the same. However, this controller looks like it might be more comfortable than the palm-breaking PS1/PS2 controller. Let's hope so, anyway.[/color]

I think everything ABOUT the PS3 is simply amazing. I mean all of those memory and graphics specs are simply unheard of, but of course I didn't expect anything less from SONY. The controller doesn't look too great, though...

Oh, and about the SPIDERMAN thing, SONY kinda owns the rights to that movie so...yeah they own the font too. Stop trying to find little things to knock the PS3 for just because you love XBOX so much for giving you HALO.

[quote name='James][color=#737373']I like the console's design. Nothing amazing, but a whole lot prettier than Xbox 360 (not that it says much, lol).[/color][/quote]

I think that it looks okay, but I'm not really that big a fan of it. I'll agree that it does look a hell of a lot better than the XBox 360 design, though lol. The controller gives it a run for its money, though. Good lord is that thing ever horrible.

I don't know why so many people are being critical of the controller; it [I]looks[/I] extremely comfortable to me.

That aside, I'm a lot more impressed with this than I am with Xbox 360. The games look much better and run smoothly (unlike the 15 fps Gears of War demo), and the system's design looks sexier. Considering its launch takes place only four to six months after the Xbox 360's and Grand Theft Auto is slated to be a launch title for the system--I'd say that it's likely that Sony wins again.

[quote name='MehrLicht']Oh, and about the SPIDERMAN thing, SONY kinda owns the rights to that movie so...yeah they own the font too. Stop trying to find little things to knock the PS3 for just because you love XBOX so much for giving you HALO.[/quote] If that was sarcasm...it sucked. lol

I don't think anyone here had any ulterior motives (OMFG PS3 bashin is all teh rage!!11!!11) in commenting on the similarity between the Playstation 3 font and the font to Spiderman.

Now, about PS3. I think the console's design looks fantastic; the black version works especially well, though I'm leery of how the ports in the back would do, mainly just color issues. I suppose as long as the labels underneath those ports are changed to white, it'd be fine.

I'm most attracted to either the white or black consoles; the gray just isn't doing it for me...and I really wish the PS3 was strictly horizontal. Something about vertical systems...reminds me too much of a CPU tower, I guess.

Speaking of computers, the PS3 sounds like a computer, lol. That's not to say Xbox (or 360) never did, either, but I'm starting to miss the days when game consoles were game consoles, you know? I'm not going to deny that I'm very excited about the USB ports, flash drives (which is certainly one thing the gaming industry desperately needs), it's just that where's a Super NES when you need one? lol

But I think the flash drives are really going to stir things up. They're really the next step--and a logical one at that. Memory cards are nice and all, but a PS2 memory card got full after saving a dozen different games. The Xbox card didn't fare much better, but the hard drive balanced that out. Gamecube...I can't understand how any of us ever managed with the first-generation memory cards (the 59 block ones).

Flash drives functioning as the new memory cards is fantastic. ^_^

[center][b]***EDIT***[/b]
[/center]

[QUOTE=MehrLicht][QUOTE]If that was sarcasm...it sucked. lol

I don't think anyone here had any ulterior motives (OMFG PS3 bashin is all teh rage!!11!!11) in commenting on the similarity between the Playstation 3 font and the font to Spiderman.[/QUOTE] Two people said it before me, plus it's actually something my Xbox inclined friends harp on about a good bit, so yeah I kinda think my comment was valid. As for your response, well I just hope making fun of teenagers over the internet makes you feel big.[/QUOTE]
[quote=Siren]And what comment was that? That people's (perfectly legitimate) criticisms aren't legit, because they must be Xbox/Halo fanboys because they aren't drooling all over every single thing about PS3?

[i]Please[/i]. I suppose that would make you a Sony Fanboy, considering how you were just blatantly bashing Xbox and Halo, right? After all, by your logic here, if someone criticizes a system/game, they must be Fanboys of a competing game system/company.

Merlicht, look what you were saying in that thread, and just think about it. You were reading responses to a design concept and immediately coming close to flaming people, simply because they were voicing disappointment with what is undeniably a [i]lame[/i] logo, a system design that undoubtedly looks eerily similar to a scanner/copier from HP, and a controller that looks like a reject from Batman Beyond.

To label those people Fanboys is utterly trite and betrays your naievete, because the logo [i]is[/i] disappointing. The two previous PlayStation logos were dynamic and original. The one for PS3 is nothing more than a highly derivative font style. They are completely justified in their disappointment, because it is a disappointment to those who aren't--gasp, dare I say it--Sony Fanboys.

I can point to a vast number of HP printer/scanner/copier combos and do side-by-side comparisons to show the same type of streamlined, smooth look. Hell, you can find scanners like that in your local high school or library.

Your reaction to criticisms of the controller is just as unwarranted, because what you fail to realize is that the controller [i]does[/i] look like a wussy Batarang, lol.

Frankly, you're the one who needs an attitude check, dude. Disliking aspects of a system does not make someone a Fanboy, despite what you may believe.[/QUOTE]
[quote=Merlicht]1. Name one instance where I came anywhere CLOSE to "bashing" Xbox or Halo.

2. The closest I came to flaming was saying the word "stop." You just sent me a "hell," which makes you closer to flaming than I am.

3. You obviously aren't even paying attention to me, because you reffered to my deffensive comments about the controller...I never once made a statement about the controller, because I too think it looks terrible.

4) So what I'm trying to say is, if you automatically are not going to respect me because you're twenty- something and I'm fifteen, please don't send me anymore private messages. Thanks.

_Mike_[/QUOTE]
[quote=Siren]1. "Stop trying to find little things to knock the PS3 for just because you love XBOX so much for giving you HALO."

That statement reeks of "OMFG H4lo an Xbox sux!1!1!! u r s000 Halo fanboyzzz!1!!"

If explicitly or implicitly accusing those other members of being Xbox/Halo fanboys was truly and honestly [i]not[/i] your intent, then you should have revised your little outburst so your true intent was clearer.

Yet you did not revise it, so what does that say?

Furthermore, you Private Message [i]me[/i] with a snide remark, so I don't think you're as innocent of any personal attacks here as you claim, Merlicht, whether in the thread or in Private Messages.

2. I don't see how this is a huge issue. Merlicht, you overreacted in that thread, pure and simple. None of those people are Xbox/Halo Fanboys, but simply because they were criticizing lackluster PS3 designs, you automatically treat them like they are.

Your outburst in that thread was totally uncalled for, because there was nothing (I repeat: NOTHING) to justify it. Just because someone dislikes a lackluster concept design, you automatically imply they're fanboys? Grow up, man.

3. I'll refer you to my response in the thread:

[quote name='Siren']I don't think anyone here had any ulterior motives (OMFG PS3 bashin is all teh rage!!11!!11) in commenting on the similarity between the Playstation 3 font and the font to Spiderman.[/quote] Note I was paying attention to you there.

Also, I made mention of the controller [i]last[/i], so you have failed to effectively respond to my previous PM (and are rather guilty of not paying attention, keep in mind), because the controller was the [i]last[/i] thing on my mind, as evidenced by how I organized my points in the previous PM.

You didn't even bother to hit the points I made regarding the logo and/or the physical system design, so before you start throwing insults and jabs at me, Merlicht, it would suit you very well to start responding to the entire point, instead of merely isolating one incidental idea and attempting to build an argument on that one incidental point.

4. I'm not respecting you because you're an idiot, pure and simple. No offense, man, but your entire post in the thread (and your subsequent Private Messages here) scream immature Sony Fanboy. Your age has nothing to do with anything here. Your [i]attitude[/i] is why I don't respect you, let's make that perfectly clear.

And let's make sure we're both aware that [i]you[/i] Private Messaged [i]me[/i] FIRST, Merlicht, and you initiated the Private Messages with [i]less[/i] than a pleasant attitude, so don't pull that "if you're not going to reply to me in a nice way, don't bother replying to me anymore" crap.

If you didn't want to get into any type of verbal tussle here, you shouldn't have thrown down the gloves in the first place, Merlicht. You have only yourself to blame.

~Siren[/QUOTE]
[quote=Merlicht]Well first off i don't believe I made an outburst on that thread, hence my reason for not changing my post.

And I've now decided that I won't be responding to anymore of your messages. Until now I would have been perfectly content playing PM tag with you, but now it's apparent that you've built up enough steam to begin the name calling. You actually belive that after reading a few sentences written by me on an internet forum, you can judge my character? Very sad. Hasn't your own mother done something once that you didn't agree with? Is SHE an idiot?

But, luckily for me, I'm more mature than you're willing to think I am. I'm comfortable with my life as well as what I've accomplished in fifteen years. I'll concede the point that I did start the messaging in the first place (and yes in a bad tone), but I really have a disliking for veteran members making fun of people because they feel they are "noobs." That's my justification, anyway.

_Mike_[/QUOTE]
[quote=Siren]I'm actually going to go point-by-point here.

[quote] Well first off i don't believe I made an outburst on that thread, hence my reason for not changing my post.[/quote] Insinuating that someone is a Fanboy (and an XBox/Halo Fanboy) simply because they're voicing disappointment with a logo is an outburst, Merhlicht. You used All-Caps in the post, yet you didn't use them here, in the Private Message, so you can't play that off like you always type system names/games in All-Caps.

Let's not kid ourselves here: you All-Capped those particular names for emphasis, and for a reason: because you took things in there way too personally.

[quote]And I've now decided that I won't be responding to anymore of your messages. Until now I would have been perfectly content playing PM tag with you, but now it's apparent that you've built up enough steam to begin the name calling. You actually belive that after reading a few sentences written by me on an internet forum, you can judge my character? Very sad. Hasn't your own mother done something once that you didn't agree with? Is SHE an idiot?[/quote] Based on what I've seen from you, I have no reason to believe anything other than you're a tempermental teenager who takes things way, way, way too personally. I've built up enough steam here? [i]Please[/i]. There's no steam on my end, nor was there in my posts in that thread. Frankly, I don't see any real justification for your attempt to "take the high road here," because there's no bad blood between us. There is no "us." "We" don't exist.

And your petty insults and snide remarks will get you nowhere, because you're making them out of some childish revenge mode. Oh, I've wronged you, so you have to get me back, right? Yeah, I was a teenager once, too. I know how that thought process works.

[quote]But, luckily for me, I'm more mature than you're willing to think I am. I'm comfortable with my life as well as what I've accomplished in fifteen years. I'll concede the point that I did start the messaging in the first place (and yes in a bad tone), but I really have a disliking for veteran members making fun of people because they feel they are "noobs." That's my justification, anyway.[/quote] If you're as mature as you claim, you wouldn't have made the initial spiteful and mean-spirited comment in the first place, in the thread, simple as that.

Your comments regarding your personal life, as if they're some type of bartering currency here, fall on deaf ears, as I can guarantee that if you want to get in a pissing contest with me, I'll whoop your sorry ***. So bringing in how you're such a saint or mature or whatever isn't going to improve your image--or your "case."

Regarding your so-called "justification," it's based on a wholly invalid supposition. You haven't acknowledged that I got on your case not because you were some "n00b," but because you were behaving like a complete tool.

I've been on this message board for about two years now, so it's not as if I'm some veteran member anyway. If by "veteran" you mean age, then age had nothing to do with my comments, either.

My comments were made not out of age, or rank, or anything of the sort. My comments were made because you were acting like a total spazz.

~Siren[/QUOTE]
[quote=Merlicht]I have now reached the point of utter shock. I capitalized those names because they are brand names, something I just do with titles and brands in speculation, as well as emphesized words (so There's room for confusion there i suppose). And WHAT petty insults are you talking about?! The last quote you sent had nothing resembling insults in its content. With your jumping to such wild conclusions, and writing essay long arguments and insults to a teenager, I would be careful who I called a spazz.

And as for a "pissing contest," I'm gonna go ahead and assume that means who's done better things in life. Well nor was it my intention for you to believe that I was trying to hold my accomplishments in front of me like a shield, which is the exact reason why i [i]didn't name them.[/i]

But, other than having survived 7 years more than I have, if you'd like to key me in on anything you've ever done that would make anyone respect you, I'll gladly listen.[/QUOTE]
[quote=Siren]Again, point-by-point.

[quote]I have now reached the point of utter shock. I capitalized those names because they are brand names, something I just do with titles and brands in speculation, as well as emphesized words (so There's room for confusion there i suppose).[/quote] Don't act so surprised, Merlicht. You All-Capped those words for emphasis--but why would you need to emphasize those words? Wouldn't it have been just as easy (and just as effective if your intent was as honest and nice as you claim) to write them with normal capitalization? Why not just spare yourself the trouble and just admit what we both know here? That you All-Capped those words because you took things way too personally. lol

[quote]And WHAT petty insults are you talking about?! The last quote you sent had nothing resembling insults in its content.[/quote] [quote name='Merlicht']You actually belive that after reading a few sentences written by me on an internet forum, you can judge my character? Very sad. Hasn't your own mother done something once that you didn't agree with? Is SHE an idiot?[/quote] That right there, man. Don't attempt to brush that under the rug. I'm not offended by it, of course, but just because I'm not offended by it doesn't mean it's not petty insults and snide remarks. "Very sad." Come on, who are you trying to fool here?

Or the remark about my mother? That's about as childish as insults and snide remarks can get. It's akin to "your mother's so dumb/fat/slow/etc." Come on, man, if you're going to absolve yourself here, you're going to have to clean up your act [i]first[/i], then talk about claiming you're innocent.

[quote]With your jumping to such wild conclusions, and writing essay long arguments and insults to a teenager, I would be careful who I called a spazz.[/quote] You think this is essay-long? I've written short papers for passage explications/analyses that were longer than this. And again, remember who started throwing the insults first, Merlicht. You threw down first.

Again, I re-iterate: if you weren't interested in getting stuff thrown back in your face, you shouldn't have started ****, simple as that. It's a tired cliche by now, but it's still entirely relevant, and it directly relates to your frame of mind here:

You think you can dish it out, but you can't take it worth a damn.

And that's the truth, no offense.

[quote]And as for a "pissing contest," I'm gonna go ahead and assume that means who's done better things in life. Well nor was it my intention for you to believe that I was trying to hold my accomplishments in front of me like a shield, which is the exact reason why i [i]didn't name them.[/i][/quote] If it wasn't your intention, then you sure as hell didn't make it clear, Merlicht, so again, any miscommunication here is solely [i]your fault[/i]. And frankly, nothing you have said here would lead me to believe anything other than you were trying to "prove" you're the "better man" here.

After all, the Private Messages were initiated by you, with an intent that is rather clear to me (and anyone who reads these), that intent being to somehow validate yourself and your actions.

Or is that behavior not found in 15-year-olds? This, by the way, is an age-related question, and also a maturity issue, because, again, like I've said previously, if you were in fact as mature as you say you are, you wouldn't have thrown this little tantrum--and that's all it is. A tantrum.

[quote]But, other than having survived 7 years more than I have, if you'd like to key me in on anything you've ever done that would make anyone respect you, I'll gladly listen.[/QUOTE] You can find some of my work at [url="http://www.somefantastic.us/"]www.somefantastic.us[/url], an online sf journal, for starters.

There you'll see one essay I wrote last Spring (for which I received a perfect grade, I might add, and the critical acclaim of a large number of the faculty here at Rutgers) that featured an in-depth analysis of the character dynamics of Captain Ahab of Moby Dick and Agent Smith of The Matrix, and how the two characters are completely identical--and the piece went far beyond the blatantly obvious "obsessive quest for revenge."

Also on that site, you'll find an analysis of the role of Fate in the Terminator films, specifically T1 and T2, where I completely demolish the popular interpretation of T2, the interpretation that believes Judgment Day was prevented.

You can explore [url="http://www.myotaku.com/poisontongue"]www.myotaku.com/poisontongue[/url] and find a wide selection of various work of mine, including a rough Freshman year composition that aims at John Milius' claim that he based Apocalypse Now off of The Odyssey--and totally breaks that down, proving it wasn't inspired by The Odyssey, in fact based on Dante's Inferno with a liberal dose of Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness.

Other pieces on myOtaku also include an analysis of multiculturalism in Star Wars entitled The Rebellion and the Death Star, entire posts/debates regarding Terminator 2, original materials on 2001: Space Odyssey, Oscar Wilde, Shakespeare (particularly Hamlet), David Bowie's Space Oddity...the list goes on.

How's that?

~Siren[/QUOTE]
[quote=Siren]Point-by-Point

[quote]How is it? Intriguing. I actually remember seeing a thread here on the boards (maybe the lounge) about your moby dick/ smith parallel. The majority of your (would one say editorial?) publishings are on movies and books (and an epic) that I value tremendously, and I would probably read many of these debates and opinions if I were a more motivated individual.[/quote] Try reading them. They are far from amateur material.

[quote]Sorry, but the last message I sent you was only half completed. The next paragraph should have started...[/quote] A 30-minute difference? That's a stretch, Merlicht. A major stretch, and quite frankly, I think it's too much of a stretch to be remotely plausible, so the rest of your reply here is starting on shaky ground.

[quote]But you are only giving me half, or only part, of what I was asking as far as accomplishments go. Do you see what I mean? Now I'm gonna go ahead and clarify beforehand: [i]none of this message is meant to be insulting.[/i][/quote] What would you want? Sports? I'm an intellectual, a nerd. I don't play sports. And I'm finding your efforts here to be incredibly transparent, as well. You want me to "prove" how good I am by showing you things I've written, but you simply are not going to accept that I can fully back-up what I've said before, about personal achievements and whopping your sorry ***.

So, really, insulting or not (and that's also an incredibly transparent statement, Merlicht), if you're unwilling to acknowledge my achievements, whether Internet-based or hard copy paper, then I see no reason to continue this.

You asked me for materials that would show you I'm no random moron, and you got them--plenty of them. I've honored my part of the bargain here. Now honor yours.

[quote]Internet publications are good, quite good, but if [i]this[/i] is supposed to be a basis on which I should be building my respect for you (a basis I believe you have), instead of one built upon age and rank, it just isn't enough. True, you've proven that you are scholarly and creative, but so were writers like Poe, who lived an awful life and had drug and alcohol problems. What accomplishments you have shown me here are the kind that could invoke admiration, not so much respect.[/quote] The quality of the work doesn't change with online vs print copies, Merlicht. That's one of the major fallacies of your counterargument. Good writing is good writing no matter what format, so your counterargument here is null and void, and frankly, it looks more like trying to dodge the issue here, the issue being you asked for material so you would respect me, [i]and I delivered[/i].

[quote]I mean, for all I know you could be a clever writer by day, serial rapist by night (again, not an insult, merely an exaggerated example). I hope what I was looking for is more clear now, and you certainly don't have to give me anymore if you feel you don't need to prove yourself to me.[/quote] This entire paragraph is utterly irrelevant, and the last sentence there is utterly arrogant, so again, your sincerity comes under fire.

[quote]Oh, and about mentioning your mother, please don't think it was my intention to make a sophomoric jab at "yo mamma." I was merely using that instance as an example of "all people are capable of one wrong thing, even those you love." It was meant to be an anti- judgement statement. I still state with confidence, and apology for any thoughts you may have otherwise, that the paragraph in question contained no personal attacks on you.

_Mike_[/QUOTE] Anti-judgment...and again, like I explained before, I was judging you on what you said, and what you said (and what you have been saying) was downright idiotic.

Just like when I see the Clown in Shakespeare, I'm going to call the character a Clown, so if you don't want to be characterized as a fool, you shouldn't be saying foolish things. Simple as that.

And again, your comment in that thread was idiotic (and I'm not alone on this one, either), and I commented on that, solely because of that.

And frankly, you still haven't effectively redeemed yourself for the following remark:

[quote name='Merlicht']You actually belive that after reading a few sentences written by me on an internet forum, you can judge my character? Very sad.[/quote] You're losing this one, Merlicht. I've shown you what I'm capable of (and what I've shown you is only a small fraction of my full potential, when I've got my A Game).

Your explicit or implict refusal to concede on a variety of points here, the major point being that I am quite formidable, that you did in fact underestimate me, and that your childish attempts at intimidation have failed or blown up right in your face, tells me one thing:

You can't admit when you were wrong, especially regarding perceptions of other people (for examples, see this Private Message series, see the PS3 thread where it was clear you overreacted and were more inclined to accuse people of being Fanboys).

If I'm mistaken about that, do explain it to me, but as it stands now, your track record here has put you very, very, very much behind the 8-ball, as it were.

You can continue this if you want, but you're screwed, man. Why not just walk away?

~Siren[/quote] -----

He just keeps digging himself deeper. XD

And deeper, and deeper...lol

Still deeper...XD

[color=#737373]I wouldn't be so fast to declare that PS3 is the automatic winner, but it's impressive so far.

Also, PS3 will support two screens/monitors. So you could play a two player game from one system, on two TVs or computer monitors. Since the controllers are wireless, that eliminates the need for a link cable and two consoles.

You can also have two TVs together for a 32:9 aspect ratio (one game covers both screens, for a panoramic view).

In addition, you can move status elements and stuff to a seperate screen...so you could have one screen for all your readouts and menu, one for the game itself (very DS-esque). And finally, a seperate screen can be used for live video chat, while the first screen displays the game itself.

As for memory, Xbox cards are fine. They store 64MB at minimum. Remember that this is primarily for game saves. The PS3 might suffer by not having a standardized memory format, although the flexibility is nice. The cards aren't of much importance though; they are not designed to function like the hard drive.

[/color]

[COLOR=Blue]Looks great, and sounds like a great system. And the hardware sounds cool too. Hey, wait a minute. How much are games, and how much is the system itself? I'd estimate to about...$350 for the system, and $60 per a game. What do you think?

"KAMEHAMEHA!"

Dragonboym2[/COLOR]

[color=#737373]No word on the cost yet. That'll probably come later in the year.

You guys should really check out the (very lengthy) PS3 conference. It goes into much greater detail and shows some absolutely stunning demonstrations. PS3 can produce movie-quality CG graphics in real time. Check out these shots from the new Killzone title:

I'll just put links, because the images are so large.

[url="http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/614/614722/killzone-next-gen-20050516075934164.jpg"]http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/614/614722/killzone-next-gen-20050516075934164.jpg[/url]

[url="http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/614/614722/killzone-next-gen-20050516075936538.jpg"]http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/614/614722/killzone-next-gen-20050516075936538.jpg[/url]

[url="http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/614/614722/killzone-next-gen-20050516075937991.jpg"]http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/614/614722/killzone-next-gen-20050516075937991.jpg[/url]

This game looks simply amazing in motion. It really looks like a film. The physics and animation are absolutely top-notch. In terms of graphics, it completely kills anything I've seen on Xbox 360 so far, even at this early stage.

And there's a lot more to come, even from the conference. Hopefully more shots will be available fromm other demos soon; if anyone else has shots or links to clips, I welcome you to post them.[/color]

I just got finished watching the videos for both the Xbox360 and PS3 press conferences, and although i have been a very heavy xbox supporter in the past, I came away much more impressed with the PS3 than the Xbox360. After watching the conference video i thought that the xbox conference was talking much more to stock shareholders rather than gamers themselves, it and talked more about their goals for the system rather than the system itself. whereas the PS3 conference focused on showing the capabilites of the system as well as showcasing real live game footage (i thought the rubber ducky demonstration was hilarious). Also with the PS3 conference, they really put the capailites of PS3 into terms that the i could understand, where as the xbox conference seemed to avoid the raw data and facts about the xbox360 all together. I was amazed that the RSX video processor for the PS3 has equal processing power to that of two Geforce 6800 Ultras!! (they retail for about $500 each people!).

Though there was one thing that really got me exited about the xbox360, and that was that they finally got Square Enix on board as a developer for the console. but then again, the FFVII tech demo they showed at the PS3 conference almost made me wet my pants. So if you ask me, i think sony has won this round.

[quote name='Dragonboym2][COLOR=Blue']Looks great, and sounds like a great system. And the hardware sounds cool too. Hey, wait a minute. How much are games, and how much is the system itself? I'd estimate to about...$350 for the system, and $60 per a game. What do you think?[/COLOR][/quote]
[COLOR=DarkRed]Not with the specs they've been showing. Seeing all of this, it [I]must[/I] cost at least $400. The X-box 360 will be liquid cooled! That will be insanely expensive.

The way i see it, one of three things will happen, 1) They sell these at an insane price, but everyone (including myself) will buy it anyway; 2) They will end up droping half the specs from the system, making it that much more reasonable, yet slightly less enjoyable; 3) They'll lower the price and keep the specs, and Microsoft and Sony will lose hundreds of dollars for every system sold.

That last one is just a joke, but honestly, these will probably be ungodly expensive, or not nearly as good as they're made out to be (Though still good). Granted no matter what path they take, i'll eventually buy them, but i might wait a while.

I'm also excited to see what Nintendo will be offering up. Perhaps they will expand beyond video games alone this time (not like i care, i only use my systems for games).[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][quote name='boxybrown305][COLOR=DarkRed']3) They'll lower the price and keep the specs, and Microsoft and Sony will lose hundreds of dollars for every system sold.[/COLOR][/quote]
I believe that's been Microsoft's stratedgy for years. lol[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

It's looking more like a games console than a photocopier now. Console designs never sit well with me first off, but I grow to like them. PS3 looks groovy from the other angles I've seen. :animeknow

[quote]
[i]Oh, and about the SPIDERMAN thing, SONY kinda owns the rights to that movie so...yeah they own the font too. Stop trying to find little things to knock the PS3 for just because you love XBOX so much for giving you HALO.[/i]
[/quote]
Oh, I'm not bashing the console because of it's Spiderman font, just a little dissapointed they didn't run with anything original. It might not be final yet anyway.

I don't own an XBox, and I've only played Halo about, 4 or 5 times. ;)

It really will be a bad idea if these new consoles cost more than $300. They keep adding more and more peripheral stuff that shouldn't be the focus unless a lot of games use them. Maybe if each system costs $400+ then they figure you will not be able to afford the Xbox or Nintendo after that :)

Anyway, PS3 looks pretty cool and I hope that weird looking controllers mean comfortable controllers. Overall its not going to matter what it looks like though and its really going to be about games. I think if the PS3 can come out with one or two really big launch titles like GTA or Devil May Cry it will be the smartest strategy for selling a lot of systems. I'd bet that sales of Gamecube jumped when Zelda came out just for people who wanted to play it (thats what I did). The PS2 launch titles were pretty dull, and I think SSX and Onimusha were the biggest names (from what I can remember). If they can pull off some heavy hitters the thing will sell like mad.

[quote name='satan665']It really will be a bad idea if these new consoles cost more than $300.[/quote]
[COLOR=DarkRed]Maybe, but the way they're all heading, they would cost $400 minimum, probably much more. As i said before, they need to tone it down, otherwise they'll just be too expensive.[/COLOR]

[quote name='satan665']If they can pull off some heavy hitters the thing will sell like mad.[/quote]
[COLOR=DarkRed]This is true, a few good ones and everyone will be desperate to get their hands on it. I'd buy a PS3 for nothing more than MGS4 (of course there will be many other greats, but that's my big one). The problem with that is that then there would be lots of people selling it after beating the one game they wanted. Well i guess that's not really a problem, but it would be weird.[/COLOR]

[quote name='boxybrown305][COLOR=DarkRed']Maybe, but the way they're all heading, they would cost $400 minimum, probably much more. As i said before, they need to tone it down, otherwise they'll just be too expensive.[/COLOR][/quote]

I'm thinking this is going to be the case with this system. Sony is no longer concerned with just being at the forefront, they want to be beyond it. The graphics card alone in the thing is equal to two cards that retail for $500 right now. It has every port I can fathom on it. It's plays Blu-Ray, which isn't even available yet. It's outputting a 1080p image that almost no TV (even some of Sony's own top of the line models) support.

Obviously things will cost less in a year's time, but I can't imagine it being so dramatic that even Sony could afford putting this thing at a $300 price point. There's only so much money you can lose on something just to put it inside people's homes.

I should also point to this: [url]http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/18/news_6125423.html[/url]

More specifically, this:

[quote]It now appears that Sony may opt for a compromise price-wise, according to the Mainichi Daily News. An article that ran on the Japanese newspaper's Web site said that the PlayStation 3 could potentially sell for under $500. "The new machine, which will have a higher performance capacity than personal computers and provide sophisticated movie-quality images, will be priced at less than 50,000 yen each, according to [Sony] officials," said the paper.[/quote]

I think Sony is shooting themselves in the foot with this one. The whole reason PS2 keeps getting developers is because everyone has one. If sony drops to even second for a few months in this upcoming race, a substantial chunk of the developers will move to something else.

SONY PLAYSTATION 3 SPECIFICATIONS

CPU: Cell Processor PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
--1 VMX vector unit per core
--512KB L2 cache
--7 x SPE @3.2GHz
--7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
--7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
--*1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy
--Total floating point performance: 218 gigaflops

GPU RSX @ 550MHz
--1.8 TFLOPS floating point Performance
--Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
--Multi-way programmable parallel Floating point shader pipelines
--Sound Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-based processing)

MEMORY
256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz
System Bandwidth Main RAM-- 25.6GB/s
VRAM--22.4GB/s
RSX-- 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
SB2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

SYSTEM FLOATING POINT PERFORMANCE:
2 teraflops

STORAGE
--HDD Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1
--I/O--USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)
--Memory Stickstandard/Duo, PRO x 1
--SD standard/mini x 1
--CompactFlash(Type I, II) x 1

COMMUNICATION
--Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)
--Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g
--Bluetooth--Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)
--ControllerBluetooth (up to 7)
--USB 2.0 (wired)
--Wi-Fi (PSP)
--Network (over IP)

AV OUTPUT
Screen size 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
HDMI out x 2
AV multi out x 1
Digital out (optical) x 1

DISC MEDIA
CD
PlayStation CD-ROM
PlayStation2 CD-ROM
CD-DA
CD-DA (ROM),
CD-R,
CD-RW
SACD Hybrid (CD layer),
SACD HD
DualDisc (audio side)
DualDisc (DVD side)
PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM
PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM
DVD-ROM
DVD-R
DVD-RW
DVD+R,
DVD+RW
Blu-ray Disc
PlayStation 3 BD-ROM
BD-ROM
BD

here are some games for ps3
[url]http://members.home.nl/haganehylian/E3-2005/Killzone2-1.jpg[/url]
[url]http://members.home.nl/haganehylian/E3-2005/Killzone2-2.jpg[/url]
[url]http://members.home.nl/haganehylian/E3-2005/Killzone2-3.jpg[/url]
Another game for PS3 which struck me as kinda cool. It uses voice recognition
[url]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/135/928390_20050516_screen001.jpg[/url]

[url]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/135/928390_20050516_screen002.jpg[/url]

[url]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/135/928385_20050516_screen001.jpg[/url]

Yeah, I agree with you all.
PS3 sounds like it definitely has some advantages over Xbox 360, but what is with that controller? God the thing sickens me. If they were to fix that, which they are talking about, I'll buy it... If I can get enough money, that is.

[size=1]
I don't know how true this is but I heard that due to the cost of mass-producing Cells, Sony were going to start putting them into a lot of their other products too. I don't think I worded that right but hopefully you all understand what I mean.. again not sure if it's true or not and I have no source for the info.[/size]

[color=#737373]Cell was originally designed for multiple products, not just PS3. It is debuting in PS3, but it's a very scalable chip and can be produce in a variety of formats. So yeah, Sony has always had a longterm view with Cell. It forms the core of PS3, but it is also designed for extensive use in their consumer electronics products.[/color]

Yeah, I was always kind of under the impression that Cell was going to live up to its name. In the sense that a lot of their products were going to have them and form almost a single "body" of sorts. I remember the original idea being that things with Cell in them would be almost compatible in a way.

Maybe that's changed now.

[COLOR=#95005E][SIZE=1][quote name='boxybrown305][COLOR=DarkRed']The way i see it, one of three things will happen, 1) They sell these at an insane price, but everyone (including myself) will buy it anyway; 2) They will end up droping half the specs from the system, making it that much more reasonable, yet slightly less enjoyable; 3) They'll lower the price and keep the specs, and Microsoft and Sony will lose hundreds of dollars for every system sold.[/COLOR][/quote]
Or 3.b) Sell 'em low, get revenues from licenses.
Didn't PS2 prices drop some n months after its release? Maybe Sony'll pull another gig like that with PS3.

[quote name='Morpheus']If sony drops to even second for a few months in this upcoming race, a substantial chunk of the developers will move to something else.[/quote]
Too late for that. They've got games already lined up for PS3, games that have yet to be released but are already backed up by rabid fans. And with them tech demos and all, the hype's really up. I'm not much of a specs whore but the lineup tells me that I really should buy a PS3.

BTW, the FF7 tech demo, that's in-game, right?[/SIZE][/COLOR]