OtakuBoards

PlayStation 3

James

Yeah, I was expecting the conference to be underwhelming because Sony really set themselves up that way. I mean, first they released these incredible target videos that they were never going to match which raised expectations to an impossibly high level. Also, after their "Get a second job" comment last year I knew the price was going to be up there. Nevertheless, the conference was worse than I imagined. I thought Sony was on the right track when they decided to include a HDD with every console, but then they release an absolutely useless package. At least the core Xbox 360 could be "upgraded" with the HDD and be the same thing as a premium package.

Sony's making the same mistake Sega did years ago. They're the console market leader, yet they've become followers. If they can retain their market share this time around I'll be incredibly surprised.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Charles']Wiimote[/quote]

That's probably the only funny Wii pun I've seen since the name was announced. :animesmil

Sony's conference was also underwhelming to me as well. Admittedly, I wasn't really planning on getting a PS3 in the first place, but Sony's E3 showing didn't do much at all to change my mind about that.

But, hey, at least the PS3's controller is innovative!!

Haha, also here's an interesting comparison of the Playstation 3 mock-up (left) and the final version (right):

[CENTER][IMG]http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/2948/ps2point52xw.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

They removed most of the ports (more Sony downgrading), made it bigger, and finally added vents.

I got an xbox 360 and I think it is great. I WAS gonna buy a PS3. Now I have my doubt's. I mean the only games I really wanted from PS3 were
Devil May Cry 3
Metal Gear Solid 4(could be on xbox due to special edition it happened before)
Grand theft auto 4(on xbox as well)
Final Fantasy Series in general(on xbox as well)

So besides DMC there really is no reason for me right?

[COLOR=Sienna]I think Sony is banking too much off Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts fans. 600 dollars? That's rediculous! For a system that is essentially "PS2 with slightly better graphics and totally 'ingenuitive' controlers" that is just stupid. And the worst part is Sony can and will get away with it. They charge rediculous amounts of money for a substandard, easily-breakable piece of hardware and still corner the market. Unbelievable.

At least the Wii is trying to do something apart from upgrading the graphics... 600$![/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]I?m a bit disappointed, but mostly because I already know my parents are not going to dish out $500-600 to get me a new game system. I was surprised when they finally put out $150 for the PS2 last week. Maybe by the time I?m old enough to get a job in two years the price will not be so high.

Still I have to wonder who their target audience is. Anyone who is making close to or just over minimum wage is going to find that buying a PS3 is half a month?s wage. It?s not like you can just skip paying your bills for a month. [/COLOR]

[quote name='Cygnus X-1][COLOR=Sienna']I think Sony is banking too much off Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts fans. [COLOR][/quote]Um didn't you get the memo? Those people are migrating to the cheaper out right now option beacause most of the FF games are comin out on the Xbox 360. Also since it's getting GTA 4 as well its gonna rip sony a new one.(btw GTA was Xboxes biggest competition not FF/KH so xbox has a huge advantage)

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]However more its still amazing how sony is able to stay in the higher ranks of the gaming race. Now that I actually think of it the only game that I am really tending to look foward to is Metal Gear Solid 4 and Final Fantasy XIII which I had just saw a trailer for today. Maybe Resistance: Fall of man as that seemed like an intresting FPS but who knows. Maybe Nintendo and the whole controler system may be able to get the Jump on Sony.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Ikillion][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS] Final Fantasy XIII which I had just saw a trailer for Jump on Sony.[/FONT][/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]That is coming out on Xbox 360 to ?I beleive.

[SIZE=1][quote name='Avenged666fold']That is coming out on Xbox 360 to ?I beleive.[/quote]

Try searching around a little, and I think you'll find you're mistaken. Badly.

[I][URL=http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/705/705734p1.html]E3 2006: Square Shuns Xbox 360[/URL][/I]

Basically, unless Square make some official announcements, the X-Box isn't getting any Final Fantasy beyond FFXI. Tough luck for them, eh?

As for the PS3, the price doesn't bother me all that much. The X-Box 360 was released at a much lower price, but from what I've heard it had it's fair share of technical bugs. They based their success on getting the jump in terms of release and pricing, at the cost of testing. With a higher price, odd as it is, I suppose I can feel more confident that the PS3 will be better executed.

In the end, if people really want the PS3, nothing Nintendo or Microsoft do is going to stop them.[/SIZE]

Unless of course they come to your house creating a new religion, The Gate witnesses.

(Not to shun any religion mind you. Good for you to worship what you believe in)

As for me I look forward to the Playstation 3. God of War 2, Kill Zone 2, FF series that come in the future. Mind you I might concider to buy the 360 also what with Halo 3 coming out but only time will tell. In the meantime my pay check will all go into the PS3 as will most of my hours in life to play it's champions (hopefully)

On a side note When they do make Kingdom Hearts 3 on the PS3 I will look forward to that as well. But i have a feeling that is either way to far in the future or just not going to be *highly doubtful on the second part*

What I liked about the feature in the Controller of the PS3 is the abillity to use it without the sticks or arrow buttons. from what I saw you can use them like it was the Wii controller unless of course I am mistaken. NOVEMBER HERE I COME!

[QUOTE=Swedish Chef]Unless of course they come to your house creating a new religion, The Gate witnesses.

(Not to shun any religion mind you. Good for you to worship what you believe in)

As for me I look forward to the Playstation 3. God of War 2, Kill Zone 2, FF series that come in the future. Mind you I might concider to buy the 360 also what with Halo 3 coming out but only time will tell. In the meantime my pay check will all go into the PS3 as will most of my hours in life to play it's champions (hopefully)

On a side note When they do make Kingdom Hearts 3 on the PS3 I will look forward to that as well. But i have a feeling that is either way to far in the future or just not going to be *highly doubtful on the second part*

What I liked about the feature in the Controller of the PS3 is the abillity to use it without the sticks or arrow buttons. from what I saw you can use them like it was the Wii controller unless of course I am mistaken. NOVEMBER HERE I COME![/QUOTE]
[COLOR=Sienna]
No, the PS3 controller doesn't, from my understanding, have any 3d perception. You can tilt it and and things that type of thing, but as far as I know it's not going to be half as fun or engaging as the Wiimote. [/COLOR]

My bad at least it will be more entertaining then the 360 controller. Poor guy is being left out of all the fun that the Nintendo Wii and the PS3 cotroller can do. :stfu: (no reason why I added that smilie other then the fact that I just noticed a new viriaty. Heh man I was gone away for a long time)

[COLOR=Blue]I'm concerned about the price of the PS3. Five hundred to six hundred dollars!? Are you kidding me!? Sony is releasing two kinds of PS3s, one is $500, the other $600. I forget the difference involved though.
Also, what about HDTV? I don't have a HDTV, and many other people don't either. What does that mean for people who have regular TVs?

"KAMEHAMEHA!"

Dragonboym2[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Dragonboym2][COLOR=Blue]I'm concerned about the price of the PS3. Five hundred to six hundred dollars!? Are you kidding me!? Sony is releasing two kinds of PS3s, one is $500, the other $600. I forget the difference involved though.
Also, what about HDTV? I don't have a HDTV, and many other people don't either. What does that mean for people who have regular TVs?

"KAMEHAMEHA!"

Dragonboym2[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=Sienna]
Don't forget, that price doesn't include the add-ons Sony always comes out with after the release to make the system's load-times barabel, among other things, which will probably cost quite a bit. All in all, someone looking to get a PS3 of good quality with a few games will probably end up blowing a grand or more on it (Keep in mind, that's a Canadian grand ;) ). Hardly seems worth taking up a second job for.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Swedish Chef']My bad at least it will be more entertaining then the 360 controller. Poor guy is being left out of all the fun that the Nintendo Wii and the PS3 cotroller can do. :stfu: (no reason why I added that smilie other then the fact that I just noticed a new viriaty. Heh man I was gone away for a long time)[/quote]
Honestly, I never thought the controller had to be entertaining to enjoy a game. Maybe that's just me though. I'm a boring guy, so I don't care much about innovation. Maybe I'd take a change on the gameplay itself, but the whole tilting and such... It's really not needed IMO. (Like I said, it's just me, and I'm a boring person)

In any case. I do agree with everyone about the price for the ps3. Hell, I'm still buggy about it, but I still like most of their line-ups though. Of course it's not convincing enough for me to cough up $600 for the console. I'm still not understanding the other version of it though. (I don't know all that computer tech talk and whatnot.) With all this stuff missing from the $500 version, will this stop me from being able to play and save my games? If not then I might consider in getting it because I don't play games online, I have a DVD player....

And then I'm wondering about the prices of the games themselves. With a console costing too much, what will the price range be for the games? $60 - $80?

[color=#4B0082]As I understand it, the only difference between the $500 version and the $600 version is the size of the hard drive. The first will have a 20 GB drive and the second will have a 60 GB drive. So that extra $100 is just getting you 40 GB more storage space.

Either way, though, I can tell you right now that I won't be getting a PS3 for a long, long time. Even for the $500 version, they'd have to cut the price by 2/3 before I'd consider buying one--since I'm already going to have a Wii and games to buy for that. And even if I weren't looking to get a Wii first, I just wouldn't be able to afford $500 or $600 for a console.[/color]

[QUOTE=Desbreko][color=#4B0082]As I understand it, the only difference between the $500 version and the $600 version is the size of the hard drive. The first will have a 20 GB drive and the second will have a 60 GB drive. So that extra $100 is just getting you 40 GB more storage space.

Either way, though, I can tell you right now that I won't be getting a PS3 for a long, long time. Even for the $500 version, they'd have to cut the price by 2/3 before I'd consider buying one--since I'm already going to have a Wii and games to buy for that. And even if I weren't looking to get a Wii first, I just wouldn't be able to afford $500 or $600 for a console.[/color][/QUOTE]

No, as I said earlier the basic package will lack WiFi, HDMI, and there will be no memory stick slot. These differences eliminate key features of the console.

[color=#4B0082]Hmm, I guess I missed that. (I skim when I'm short on time. >_>;[i][/i]) From the bit of info I'd found on the day of the E3 press conferences, the difference in hard drive capacity was the only thing I'd heard about. It [i]did[/i] seem a bit odd that only a 40 GB difference would cost $100 extra. . . .

I guess they really are screwing people who get the $500 version then. Make that a 3/4 cut in the price before I consider buying one.[/color]

• 3 weeks later...
you guys do know that E3 [Electronic Entertainment Expo] is now over right?

My mind imploded when I saw the price.

first reaction: holy shitake mushrooms! 500 and 600? ARRGH.

then I brought myself back to earth.

"now I know why they'll charge me lots, because of that tiny cell prceesor and all that other great stuff."

and they've redo the controller, too.

It looks like the DualShock 2

but it's got a motion sesor it.

^___^

BUT...

no force feedback! NOOOOOOOO.

Why did they take it away?

"It would mess with the motion sensor"

^*paraphrasing

????? I mean the Wiivolution has a motion sensor AND force feedback, what's up with that?

Now...the games, I have to say this will be the best thing since...*insert revoultionary item here*!

The graphics holy cow! B-E-A-utiful!

now all have do to do is determine wheather or not all that e306 footage was prerendered or actual gameplay....

Kinda dissapointed that Killzone II didnt show up.

The game(s) I'm wating for are...

-MotorStorm
-Resistance: Fall Of Man [formally known as I-8]
-Tekken VI

and UT07.

whoa.

the graphics are the second best next the Resistance.

I wonder if the Mutiplayer will do as good as it did, two years ago in UT04.

I know that Epic is developing the game... and using that Unreal 3 graphics engine[will ALL Ps3 games use the U3 Engine?]

but who is the publisher?

Atari? or Midway?

ok....

Online. it reminds me of their rival's OL service XL[xbox live]

will it be just as good though?

I heard that it wont cost a single penny. [EGM]

that's really good. cos, I'm not paying $50.00 for one year.

18-11-06.

launch day.

I'll be in line and take a couple of my friends with me.

but will they run into the shortage problem like M$ did?

Etc.

How are the Ps3 and PsP suppost to interact?

Can you put your saved items of you memory stick on the HDD?

Why does the console look like an printer/fax machine?

*farfetched* can you play PsP games on the Ps3?

I think I've covered everything.

Leon.

[QUOTE=Leon Fury]you guys do know that E3 [Electronic Entertainment Expo] is now over right?

My mind imploded when I saw the price.[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][IMG]http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/7898/oldladyhr1yq.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

First of all, you should read through a thread before you reply. But first:

[B]par·a·graph ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pr-grf)
n.
A distinct division of written or printed matter that begins on a new, usually indented line, consists of one or more sentences, and typically deals with a single thought or topic or quotes one speaker's continuous words. [/B]

[i]Now[/i], browse through the thread. I'm sure that most of your questions have been answered. But, if you read through it and anything's still unclear then come back. Have a nice day and remember, if you're not confronting poor posting, you're reinforcing it!

[quote]no force feedback! NOOOOOOOO.

Why did they take it away?

"It would mess with the motion sensor"

^*paraphrasing

????? I mean the Wiivolution has a motion sensor AND force feedback, what's up with that?
[/quote]

[font=franklin gothic medium]There is no force feedback because Sony cannot use the Dual Shock or Dual Shock 2 force feedback technology in PS3 - that is, unless they pay royalties to the inventor (Immersion Technologies). Sony is currently appealing a court decision that ordered them to pay significant damages to Immersion for violation of patents.

Immersion actually said that they would help Sony include force feedback [i]and[/i] motion control in the PS3 controller if Sony drop the appeal and agree to pay royalties. So far though, Sony hasn't agreed to that, which means the PS3 controller won't have force feedback at all. That is, unless Sony finds another way to do it that doesn't infringe upon Immersion's patents.[/font]

[quote]My bad at least it will be more entertaining then the 360 controller. Poor guy is being left out of all the fun that the Nintendo Wii and the PS3 cotroller can do. (no reason why I added that smilie other then the fact that I just noticed a new viriaty. Heh man I was gone away for a long time)[/quote]

[font=franklin gothic medium]The tilt technology might be interesting for a few games, but the applications are extremely limited. That's because, although tilt-functionality has been added, the controller itself still features a traditional two-handed design. So, while it might be cool to play flight or driving games with the PS3 controller, you couldn't have sword swings or gun-pointing. The Wii controller allows for that both because it's one-handed (and can therefore act like a gun or a sword or a fishing rod), as well as because it features depth-sensitivity and on-screen pointing.

I have to say, I am disappointed in the PS3 controller for one reason: the core design hasn't changed at all. I don't care about force feedback or basic tilt functions, I'm more interested in a comfortable controller.

So even if no actual functions change, I'd like Sony to simply update the controller's physical shape a little to make it more comfortable. What would I do?

First, I'd soften the angle on the two prongs - they feature a sharp angle at the moment and it isn't good for extended-holding.

Second, I'd update the analog sticks. I'd create a flatter-yet-rubbery nub at the top (like the GameCube or Xbox 360 controllers) and I'd add directional notches in the plastic surrounding their bases for added accuracy. I'd also change their position, so that the left stick sits where the D-Pad sits and the D-Pad is moved down to where the left stick used to be (like the GameCube pad layout).

Third, I'd update that horrible D-Pad. I really, really hate the way it's all broken up. It's uncomfortable, especially for extended periods of play. I'd join it up and give it a nicer (perhaps slightly longer) travel. I'd also change its surface texture to be a little smoother and gentler on fingers.

Finally, I'd upate the shoulder buttons. Sony seems to have done this with PS3 somewhat, but we don't really know just yet. I'd basically do what Microsoft did; have two digital front buttons and two rear triggers.

All of those upgrades wouldn't really change the fundamental function of the PS3 controller, but they [i]would[/i] at least bring it in-line with Xbox 360 and make it far more comfortable.

I do not know why Sony doesn't do this. Obviously they are concerned about change and they don't want PlayStation owners to be alienated by a new design. At the same time, they could get away with making [i]some[/i] changes to the controller's "feel", while still keeping everything in a fairly similar position and keeping a basically familiar format.

I don't know if you've used the Xbox 360 controller, but it's a beautiful design. No, it isn't as innovative or interesting as the Wii controller, but I really feel it's the epitome of traditional controller design. It's certainly the most comfortable and well-made controller I've used so far...and that's saying a lot, considering all the other controllers I've used over the years.

If you try the Xbox 360 controller with a good game and then go back to PS2...you may find yourself let down.[/font]

I really don't care how much it costs because my dad promised that he would buy it for me. I think the controller is very comfortable. I like the curved shape of the PS3 more than the box shape of the 360. As long as they have the Dynasty Warriors series, I don't care what games they have.

I can not wait for the release of the ps3 and all those cool games, though I probably won't have enough money to buy it :animecry: but it sounds like it's gonna be a awesome system and I can't wait for those sweet graphics :animesmil