OtakuBoards

PlayStation 3

James

A friend and I went to Best Buy last night and there were several tents out in front. The guys there randomly went inside every so often to check out the display PS3...

Which was really weird since they were only playing games already available on the 360... Live was on in particular. I could see the point if it was Resistance being demoed or something. My friend didn't even realize it was a PS3 title at all, assuming it was just a 360 station.

It was weird to see all these cold, wet guys standing around this system that they probably already had been waiting for for an entire day already. Meanwhile, there were plenty of 360s and the clerk there told us they expected "plenty" of Wii consoles.

So I don't know. To each their own, I guess. Personally, I don't see the pain in just waiting.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is a waste of money right now, i mean i love video games but seriously?

Its a first run console which almost always has bugs they iron out in the later ones and it has a new gen Blu-Ray player.

There aren't any new games out besides ones that the XBOX 360 has except for Resistance: Fall of Man and maybe like two others.

I think that people should just bide their time and wait a bit. Sony is a bunch of sharks and have pissed me off plenty recently.

I wish they could offer a console without the option of a Blu-Ray player, but then i guess you would miss out on certain games.

Despite rants and raves; video game selection is usually what wins a war. The XBOX would have SUNK without Halo and a few other games.

And right now I think the PS3 is floating on a very devoted fan base. Which is just fine but how long can it really prosper for? They need some launch titles worth freaking over; I'm not saying they can't do it, but I wish they would have released something incredible and worthy of Sony.

So maybe next Christmas for me.

[QUOTE=Lunox][color=dimgray] Is $4000 really a lot?* I've heard plenty of bids that have gone into the six to seven thousands, and one sold for $9100.

*Obviously, yes, it's a lot of money, but I mean in terms of the PS3 bidding craze.[/color][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]O_O $9100 ! Why didn't that person just go buy a super computer with like I don't know, five independent gaming monitors signed by Bill Gates himself. Seriously, the only time I will ever spend more than ?400 on a system is for a PC system, and that's because I can do a hell of a lot more with a PC than I can with a PS3/360/Wii or whatever their sequels will be.

I also agree with vegeta rocker, I won't bother getting the PS3 until a few months after it's been released as to avoid the inherent bugs in the crop from the launch. [/SIZE]

Another insane price for that thing.

[URL=http://cgi.ebay.com/60GB-Sony-PlayStation-3-New-in-Hand-Call-me-PS3_W0QQitemZ250051049397QQihZ015QQcategoryZ62054QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]http://cgi.ebay.com/60GB-Sony-PlayStation-3-New-in-Hand-Call-me-PS3_W0QQitemZ250051049397QQihZ015QQcategoryZ62054QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/URL]

10.000 buy it now price. [B][SIZE=4][COLOR=Red]WTF[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Vegeta wants to buy a PS3, but guess what?
[url]http://vegetawantsps3.ytmnd.com/[/url]

This is pretty crazy...I heard about many people who were offered many thousands of dollars to skip in line on Friday...

Seriously, I in some store where they were selling PS3s here, someone got shot because they skipped in line. O_o

Man, I wish I had that much money to spend on cutting in line, THEN having enough still to buy 4 PS3s, and selling then on eBay for a crazyarse amount of profit... <,-[/FONT][/COLOR]

It's times like this that makes a gamer that thinks realistically feel alive, I myself can't wait until we get the campers in Australia and then just take the piss out of them by just commenting really loudly to my friends that the PS3 is going to suck, while in earshot of them.

You know what? That actually sounds like a funny idea.

[color=crimson]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyKWWVXNMYo
Riiots for a PS2.

At least its a ton of entertainment for me. I can YouTube PS3 riots and watch screaming frothing fanboys who have camped out a week, rip each other to shreds. This is all for the sake of getting a console a few weeks in advance of the lay gamer, who will be able to stroll in to the Best Buy, mid afternoon, and casually stroll out with their new PS3.

I'd rather go to the Parachute Music festival with my one week off work rather than queue for a bloody console. Are any of them even grounded in reality?[/color]

[quote name='Kazuko][SIZE=1']Anyone else think Sony has already dug a grave for themselves?[/SIZE][/quote]

I wouldn't pronounce it dead yet, not even close. The hype machine surrounding the console is inredibly strong and in the longrun it will do fine.

[quote name='Charles']I wouldn't pronounce it dead yet, not even close. The hype machine surrounding the console is inredibly strong and in the longrun it will do fine.[/quote]

[SIZE=1]I agree with Charles, it hasn't even been released in Europe yet, and I know plenty of people who are more than eager to acquire one when they hit the shelves next March. We won't know whether the grave has been dug or not until Christmas 2007 when the "must buy now" hype has died down.[/SIZE]

[quote name='vegeta rocker']The race will start mid 2007, thats when all the games will start coming out and they will be on a level playing field with the 360.[/quote]

[SIZE=1]I have to disagree vr, by mid 2007 Europe will only have had the PS3 for about two months, which compared to the amount of time Japan and the U.S. will have had it is next to nothing. Really two months will be barely the amount of time required for people to be able to go out and get a PS3 without having to wait for a fortnight before the next shipment will reach their local Gamestop.

The only way you'll really be able to compare the three consoles evenly is how they perform in Christmas 2007 when they've all had a chance to be bought and played without huge waits for restock.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]It amuses me how quickly people like to see something new get thrown aside. I must say I'm far more eager to get my hands on a PS3 than any of the other consoles.

And irrespective of it's price and all that other stuff people have to complain about, Sony have Metal Gear 4 so end of story really. Price is no issue when the console has some of the most stand up games in its arsenal, unlike that crappy Wii and its endless string of cute characters and that stupid remote idea. But as usual, I digress. I'll leave my Wii bashing for another thread.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Andrew][SIZE=1]It amuses me how quickly people like to see something new get thrown aside. I must say I'm far more eager to get my hands on a PS3 than any of the other consoles.

And irrespective of it's price and all that other stuff people have to complain about, Sony have Metal Gear 4 so end of story really. Price is no issue when the console has some of the most stand up games in its arsenal, unlike that crappy Wii and its endless string of cute characters and that stupid remote idea. But as usual, I digress. I'll leave my Wii bashing for another thread.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

1) I don't know where you're getting the assumption that people like to see something "new" get thrown aside. Several people here have either a Wii or an Xbox 360. And ironically, the Playstation 3 is hardly something "new" right now when most of its games have been available on the 360 for months now. I will be eager to get my hands on a Playstation 3 once I have a reason to (i.e., once the games don't look [B]worse[/B] than their Xbox 360 counterparts, once there's an exclusive worth buying the system for, once the system offers features even remotely close to what Microsoft is offering, etc).

2) Sony doesn't necessarily "have" Metal Gear Solid 4. Most industry insiders predict that the game will be ported to the Xbox 360 as well. Why? Konami seems to like money.

3) The remote idea obviously isn't so "stupid" considering how Sony has tried its best to steal the basic idea. Furthermore, the Wii has outsold the Playstation 3 by a fair margin thus far.

4) The Wii seems to be a media darling, while the Playstation 3 is generally bashed by the media.

That is all.

[QUOTE=Gavin][SIZE=1]I have to disagree vr, by mid 2007 Europe will only have had the PS3 for about two months, which compared to the amount of time Japan and the U.S. will have had it is next to nothing. Really two months will be barely the amount of time required for people to be able to go out and get a PS3 without having to wait for a fortnight before the next shipment will reach their local Gamestop.

The only way you'll really be able to compare the three consoles evenly is how they perform in Christmas 2007 when they've all had a chance to be bought and played without huge waits for restock.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
[size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]Funfact: The PAL market doesn't count. The major battles for superiority are done in the US and Japan, and if things go pear shaped for something there, it's performance will shape the world market. PAL is almost ([i]almost[/i]) expendable, as far as predicting and forming trends are concerned.[/font][/color][/size]

[QUOTE=Charles]

2) Sony doesn't necessarily "have" Metal Gear Solid 4. Most industry insiders predict that the game will be ported to the Xbox 360 as well. Why? Konami seems to like money.

3) The remote idea obviously isn't so "stupid" considering how Sony has tried its best to steal the basic idea. Furthermore, the Wii has outsold the Playstation 3 by a fair margin thus far.
[/QUOTE]
[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]Hahaha, number two made me laugh. "Why? Konami seems to like money." ^L^ Those guys sure do, and i'm quite thankful for it. I've bought metal gear solid 2 substance and metal gear solid twin snakes, i had to play the 3rd one from a friend's ps2. Ahh...thank you konami for importing the mgs series to some decent consoles.

I'm not sure what i think about the wii and ps3 as they've barely been out long enough and i haven't played either of them. I'm going to have to wait till the 3 big games come out before i put my money down on anything. Those 3 games being, Halo 3, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and Metal Gear Solid 4.

Luckily my brother has a 360, and let me tell you, Gears of War is incredible.

I'm still waiting for the PS3 to blow me away with some serious graphics. I want to see its potential. And as for the Wii....bleh, wiimote? Bleh...

[/FONT][/COLOR]

bleh? I guess that doesn't ring true for me ^-^

I honestly have always been a Sega girl and a Sony faithful. I have played almost all kinds of systems, but the newest incarnation of the Playstation was always a big deal for me.

Nintendo is awesome but i never really strove that hard for a N64 or Gamecube.

But the Wii rocks. So hard, dear god it rocks!

I spent forever playing tennis, i love their little network where you can buy old games and you can make a Mii. my Mii character looks just like me!

I have always loved serious games, Silent Hill and more adventure driven games like Sonic the Hedgehog in any incarnation. But truth be told it became something of a mind sucking addiction almost. Sitting on the couch and zoning out trying so hard to beat something is getting a bit old.

I mean i love when new games come out and i get lost in them, but i feel like an older person who likes games.

When i play the Wii, there is that new freshness for me. I felt like the day i got my Atari. And since you are constantly moving, you are actually more alert in some ways. Since you aren't tuning out the rest of your body, you are in fact doing the opposite.

[FONT=Arial Narrow][COLOR=DarkGreen]Well actually the PS3 is just like an expantion packed version of the PS2, hardly anything new with it at all. While the 360 and the wii are like an almost completely different version of the consoles they originated from.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Man, it just keeps getting worse.

Fight Night, one of the games that looked to at least get some kind of minor visual enhancements over its 360 counterpart (better sweat, better muscle definiton) also comes with slowdown and PSX-looking crowds.

[url]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p177/blubbernalgas/ps3_fight-night-round-3_1163889686.jpg[/url]

[quote name='DeadSeraphim][size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]Funfact: The PAL market doesn't count. The major battles for superiority are done in the US and Japan, and if things go pear shaped for something there, it's performance will shape the world market. PAL is almost ([i]almost[/i]) expendable, as far as predicting and forming trends are concerned.[/font][/color'][/size][/quote]

[font=arial]Actually, the PAL market is the world's fastest-growing market for videogames.

And within the next five to ten years, Europe is on track to become the world's largest gaming market - outstripping both Japan and the United States.

Europe is a good indicator of growth, especially when it comes to market expansion (ie: attracting new gamers).

This is partly why Australia and Europe aren't having to wait long for Wii, it's also why Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are putting a new emphasis on PAL special editions and games specifically for the PAL market. Some companies have even set up whole new subsidiaries in Europe just to focus on the market expansion.

So it's a very vibrant area at the moment. Unfortunately Sony in particular is going to be slow to the European market...and that isn't helpful for them. On the other hand, they've invested in Europe in the past where others haven't. So, I suppose it's just down to the fact that they can't help being that late to stores.[/font]

[QUOTE=Charles]Man, it just keeps getting worse.

Fight Night, one of the games that looked to at least get some kind of minor visual enhancements over its 360 counterpart (better sweat, better muscle definiton) also comes with slowdown and PSX-looking crowds.

[url]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p177/blubbernalgas/ps3_fight-night-round-3_1163889686.jpg[/url][/QUOTE]
[size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]Holy crap, that's awful. Beautiful rendered boxers, realistic sweat drops arcing through the air, and the spectators from Road Rash 3D. I hope it's fake. :([/font][/color][/size]

I really don't feel like scrolling through a million pages but i didn't know if anyone had seen this.

[URL=http://www.gamespot.com/features/6162742/]IGN Rollover Test[/URL]

The first image you are shown is a 360 image and the rollover is the PS3 counterpart. Now I'm not saying that the PS3 won't improve, just wanted to give everyone a clear idea of what the first run games are packing.

There is some definite diffrence, mostly lighting and texture. It's also said that frame rates look quite diffrent also and that 360 looked a bit better. But i remember when Dead Rising came out alot of people couldnt read the text nearly at all unless they had an HD television.

[quote name='Crazy Kev][FONT=Arial Narrow][COLOR=DarkGreen]Well actually the PS3 is just like an expantion packed version of the PS2, hardly anything new with it at all. While the 360 and the wii are like an almost completely different version of the consoles they originated from.[/COLOR'][/FONT][/quote]

[font=arial]I don't know, I think the PS3 does a lot of things that the Xbox 360 does (in some cases better, in some cases worse - but probably mostly slightly worse).

My main regret with PS3, apart from anything else, is that they didn't have the guts to replace that tired and uncomfortable controller with a brand new design.

Then again, I suppose anything's better than the batarang or whatever people were calling it.[/font]

[quote name='James][font=arial']My main regret with PS3, apart from anything else, is that they didn't have the guts to replace that tired and uncomfortable controller with a brand new design. [/font][/quote]I don't know James, I'm rather comfortab le with the controller, and was really glad that they kept the same design.
I know it well.

As a side note:
One of my friends who is usually an exceedingly good source of right information, but also rather anti-PS said that the PS3s are overheating and not working anymore... does anyone know if that's true.

Also, the backwards compatibility, what's the truth on that?