OtakuBoards

Which country makes the best music?

Jake of Bodom

Dammit, I was planning on starting a thread like this a while ago. Anyway, I would say that it is Australia that used to produce the most talented musicians around.

AUSTRALIA
1) AC DC (Verr Fun music, Jah)
2) Kylie Minogue (Australias most popular musician in the United Kingdom
3) Jet ( I hate them but you may like them)

Guest Lucifers Wife
[COLOR=DarkOrchid][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=3]FINLAND! [/SIZE]

1)HIM
2)Nightwish
3)Apocalyptica[/COLOR][/FONT]

It's impossible to claim there is one, sole, individual, all-alone country producing all the best music. Actually, it's quite bizarre. There are, of course, certain countries producing [i]more[/i] music than others or [i]different types[/i] of music, but not the "Best Music". Even determining what the "best" music [i]is[/i] is impossible, seeing as it's not a quantitative value.
I think a slightly more interesting [related] question would be, "What language precipitates the best music?" After all, some languages flow better than others, have more rhyming words, etc...
Or you could look at the subjects brought up in different culture's music.

A couple bands I am rather--quite--fond of hail from Canada: Our Lady Peace, The Arcade Fire. Howard Shore, a fabulous contemporary composer, is also Canadian. As far as I'm aware, Ted Leo is from the UK. My favourite band, The Pillows, is Japanese. And they're not my favourite [i]because[/i] they're Japanese, either.
I'm pretty fond of German music, too, simply because the language just sounds interesting when put to a tune. Italian and French music flow wonderfully.

Most music made in a specific decade sounds overall similar, anyway. Take AKFG and a lot of North American bands, for example. If you didn't notice the language, you wouldn't be able to tell one of them was Japanese.

So this thread is basically weird.

[QUOTE=Lucifers Wife][COLOR=DarkOrchid][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=3]FINLAND! [/SIZE]

1)HIM
2)Nightwish
3)Apocalyptica[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

YES! Score 2 for Finland! Nightwish and Apocalyptica are amazing.

Godelsensei, while I see your point, I think you're missing the point. I just started this thread to see which countries people could come up with multiple bands they love for. I know not only one country makes the best music (for example, In Flames and Opeth hail from Sweden, and I like both of them better than Finntroll [I]and[/I] Kalmah, both of which I listed for my Finland vote). I just wanted to see what people would say. You see, I'm very partial to Scandinavian music, and wanted to give Finland credit, for example. Another person might love these 3 awesome bands from, say, Italy. They put it up, just to see how it fares against the other countries people are posting. It's just for fun.

[COLOR=DimGray][SIZE=1]Liking Nightwish defies all reason *shudders* its [I]this[/I] far away from being death metal *holds fingers a millimeter apart*. For some reason all the music that seems to be exported from Finland these days is all fantastical-goth-creepy-operah stuff.

Some people say its romantic I'd say psychotic is more like it.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]While i agree completely with what Godelsensei said, i'll go ahead and play anyway.

What i'm suprised hasn't shown up yet is England. There are just tons of great bands that came from there (and as Godelsensei said there are obviously many others too, but England is a pretty big one).

[B][U]England:[/U][/B]
Pink Floyd
The Who
The Clash
The Sex Pistols
The (English) Beat
Black Sabbath
The Rolling Stones...

Just to name a [I]few[/I]. England is still constantly pouring out excelent bands. Like i said, it actually doesn't really mean anything though, all the previously listed places are good too.[/COLOR]

There's good music from most any major country, really. I can't say I keep up with what people in Zimbabwae put out, but there's probably good stuff there too. My top few favorite bands are pretty equally mixed between a few different countries. It wouldn't be very worthwhile to claim a best area, although I do admit I mostly listen to music that's in English.

As said, a lot of bands from certain areas and decades so sound very similar... Not necessarily in exact theme or sound, but there's always this certain thing about a song where you can be like "oh, that came out of the 80s". Although it seems like the 80s has more weird, defining musical characteristics than any other decade since people apparently fell in love with goofy synthesizers.

Certainly most bands that make it to the radio do because labels latch on to an idea and milk it for all its worth. Bands spawn bands that sound just like them and then it feels like that's all there is anymore; it currently is happening with pop punk and I notice labels are trying to cash in on a more "indie rock" sound now.

However, even during the 80s when hair metal bands pretty much ruled music for years there was certainly a LOT of stuff that was ridiculously different from that whether it was Ministry or Big Black or the Flaming Lips or whatever else. There's always a huge amount of stuff going on slightly beneath the surface all the time.

America has tons of awful bands and tons of good ones. Same with England. Same with Germany. Same with Australia. Same with Japan. For every good band in America there's 15 that rip off their sound and can't manage to be innovative. For every good band in Japan there's another 15 that sound like 80s rock from America. It's all very subjective.

So anyway, my thought is that every place has some good aspects and some bad. I don't think there's a "best".

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Saying "What Country Makes the Best Music" is like asking what country has the best food. It's all a matter of personal taste.

That being said, I would have to say my personal favorite is England. Reasons?

The Beatles
The Who
Genesis
Pink Floyd
Led Zepplin

[B]EDIT:[/B] How did forget Jethro Tull???

Well, looky there. My main bands. Heh. The list could go on. I'd have to say that if you're talking [i]ethnically[/i], I also rather enjoy celtic sounding traditional Irish and Scottish music, but somehow I doubt that's what you mean at all.[/COLOR]

England or the United States. I have a few reasons for both as candidates:

England First:

Beatles
The Rolling Stones
The Who
Pink Floyd
The Kinks
Fleetwood Mac
Dire Straits
Genesis
Black Sabbath
Jethro Tull (I think so but I didn't check)
Led Zeppelin

United States:

Aerosmith
Credance Clearwater Revival
C S N Y
Foreigner
Bon Jovi
Van Halen
Elvis Presley
Metallica
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Hiroshima
Earth Wind and Fire
Simon and Garfunkle (I think so, but I didn't check)

The battle is really between England's The Stones, Beatles, and the Who; and the USA's Aerosmith, CCR, and Elvis

The Stone and Aerosmith tie
The Beatles PWN Elvis
The Who beat CCR

OOPSIE! I did forget one small, and uninfluential band:

ZEPPELIN! They created heavy metal...... There is no Sonata Arctica, Metallica, Lecona Coil, Nightwish, etc. without ZEPPELIN!

FINAL VERDICT:

ENGLAND

[quote name='Raid3r']ZEPPELIN! They created heavy metal...... There is no Sonata Arctica, Metallica, Lecona Coil, Nightwish, etc. without ZEPPELIN![/quote]
[COLOR=DarkRed]I'm sure many people are going to argue against this, but the fact of the matter is that this is very true. They were in fact the first band to be called "heavy metal," and it was Zeppelin that the term "headbanging" came from (fans litterally banged their heads on the stage of Zepp concerts). Anyway, i just had to express how true this statement is before someone who doesn't know what they're talking about says otherwise (and i can't believe i didn't list Zepp earlier!). It was also Black Sabbath that first used the "devil sign" incorporated with music (\m/). Note: they didn't create it, they just used it with music, yet again, an English band. Well, that's the end of my music history lesson for the day.

As others have said though, the country doesn't really matter, music is music no matter where you are. It's like a universal language. What country it came from just makes no difference.[/COLOR]

Countries make music?

Where do you get an instrument that big?

Seriosuly, folks. I don't really think any one country can claim to have the finest group of musicians under their title.In one country there's so much ot be considered, I just don't think that it can ever be said what is the "main" music coming out of one country, much less what is the best of it all.

[B]HELLO?!? WHAT THE HELL? YOU GUYS ARE COMPLETELY MISSING THE POINT OF THIS THREAD! YES, IT'S QUITE OBVIOUS THAT MANY COUNTRIES HAVE GREAT BANDS![/B]

O.K., you know what, I think I'm just gonna have an administrator close this thread. You guys are all missing the point. I guess I should have called this thread "What country, IN YOUR OPINION, has at least three bands that, IN YOUR OPINION, are really good, even though EVERY COUNTRY HAS GREAT MUSIC." I kind of thought all that was implied, but jeez guys! It was just a fun little thing to see what country would get the most votes. Let it go. It's O.K.

And saying that liking Nightwish "defies all reason" or whatever is a really dick thing to say. First of all, there's people out there who hate your music too. Second of all, don't say anything about Finnish music when you obviously know nothing about it. Saying that most of Finland's music is "creepy fantastical goth opera stuff" is a completely ignorant, stupid comment. Most of Finland's metal music is power/speed/death metal, NOT "creepy fantastical goth opera stuff". And what's up with that comment about Nightwish being "this close to death metal"? If you were saying that they actually [I]are[/I] almost death metal, you're an idiot and you're very, very mistaken, and if you were saying that people [I]think[/I] they're death metal but they're not, you need to realize that pretty much everyone knows that Nightwish is very much [I]not[/I] death metal. AAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!

And by the way, the "\m/" sign wasn't used in metal first by Black Sabbath. Ronnie James Dio of the band "Dio" used it first. Dio's grandmother lived with him and his parents as he was growing up. "\m/" was a ward against evil according to whatever beliefs she subscribed to, and she'd raise her hand in that way whenever he was listening to rock/metal music. Eventually he began doing it onstage to represent the misunderstanding surrounding metal, and the crowd caught on. It eventually became the universal sign for metal.

[quote name='Jake of Bodom']O.K., you know what, I think I'm just gonna have an administrator close this thread. You guys are all missing the point. I guess I should have called this thread "What country, IN YOUR OPINION, has at least three bands that, IN YOUR OPINION, are really good, even though EVERY COUNTRY HAS GREAT MUSIC." I kind of thought all that was implied, but jeez guys! It was just a fun little thing to see what country would get the most votes. Let it go. It's O.K.[/quote]
[COLOR=DarkRed]You seem to be taking it over the top here. Most people with just a few exceptions [I]did[/I] say what country they liked "best," most everyone else, including myself, still did it anyway, and gave our votes. Chill out, it's still working how you wanted it.[/COLOR]
[QUOTE=Jake of Bodom]
And by the way, the "\m/" sign wasn't used in metal first by Black Sabbath. Ronnie James Dio of the band "Dio" used it first. Dio's grandmother lived with him and his parents as he was growing up. "\m/" was a ward against evil according to whatever beliefs she subscribed to, and she'd raise her hand in that way whenever he was listening to rock/metal music. Eventually he began doing it onstage to represent the misunderstanding surrounding metal, and the crowd caught on. It eventually became the universal sign for metal.[/QUOTE]
[COLOR=DarkRed]I see, thanks for the correction. I knew that it came from an old lady at first, but i was under the impression that Black Sabbath used it first, oh well. Ozzy did bite the head of a live bat off on stage, i don't think that had been done before, or again for that matter.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][quote name='boxybrown305][COLOR=DarkRed']I see, thanks for the correction. I knew that it came from an old lady at first, but i was under the impression that Black Sabbath used it first, oh well. Ozzy did bite the head of a live bat off on stage, i don't think that had been done before, or again for that matter.[/COLOR][/quote]

You know, the bat thing? Was supposedly an accident. He thought it was rubber or something. I dunno.

And Jake? No one was saying the thread was stupid. We were merely making the point that all countries were good, and then we went with the original meaning of the thread. And if you're flipping due to having more than three, well...

[B][U]England[/U][/B]

1. The Beatles
2. The Who
3. Genesis[/COLOR]

[quote name='Ozymandius Jones][COLOR=DarkOrange']You know, the bat thing? Was supposedly an accident. He thought it was rubber or something. I dunno.[/COLOR][/quote]
[COLOR=DarkRed]HAHA! I had heard something along those lines before, but i wan't sure. Usually i like those "death metal" bands for the sound, not the devil worship lyrics. I like the lyrics because i find them just funny. But that ^^ it's just hilarious...

Anyway, yah if you want the three bands thing i'll do that too.

[U][B]England[/B][/U]
Pink Floyd
The Clash
The Beat

I obviously used different bands than Ozy, to mix it up (i imagine that was the point), and i chose those three because they are all large bands in their genres (Pink Floyd=um,well... prog rock i guess; Clash=best punk band ever in my oppinion; Beat=excellent ska band).[/COLOR]

Hey Bodom, take a chill pill dude, are you like 12 or something?

If you [i]demand[/i] only 3 bands from one country that I like, I'll give them to you.

I still say England is the best overall, and yes I will argue that point if you'd like, however my top 3 favs. are from the USA at the moment:

USA-

3. Aerosmith
2.CCR
1. Foreigner

Geez, that was overblown. I guess all threads should be contained within a vaccuum so answers will directly comply with what the original poster wanted. Conversation goes where it wants to. Why someone would get worked up over that is beyond me. Maybe some people just don't think there is a definitive one... what's wrong with that?

Anyway, I'll go with England. They have David Bowie. Then again, the guy basically localized himself into the US, so who knows what he should count as anymore.

Okay, first of all, I was just getting frusturated with everyone getting all high-and-mighty. I don't care if you post more than three bands (that wasn't even something I was complaining about!). It was just that I think we all understand that all countries have great music, but everyone had to go off on how all countries make music blah blah blah and it kind of killed the fun nature of the thread. That was all. Not only that, but I wrote that post at about 3:00 A.M., so my fuse was short to begin with :animeswea

By the way, I'm 16, not 12.

And one more little tirade: MOST DEATH METAL IS NOT SATANIC. I can name far more death metal bands that aren't satanic than are. Please stop saying that. Please.

[COLOR=DarkRed]Canada makes the best music, of course. Why? Simple.

[U]Bands[/U]
The Guess Who (PWN The Who)
The Tragically Hip
Gordon Lightfoot
Trooper
Triumph
Rush
Stompin' Tom Conners
Bryan Adams
The 49th Highlanders of Canada (Great bagpipers)

The list can go on and on, but I'm out of ideas right now.

[/COLOR]

I'm goingto have to go with England as well

1. The Rolling Stones
2. The Zep
3.David Bowie

I was tempted to put the Jimi Hendrix experience up there, but since only the less important 2/3 were British I thought I'd leave them out.

Also, for Canada, how can you put Bryan Adams on, but leave off great canadian ska bands like (I think) the mad caddies.