OtakuBoards

What was your first manga?

Filipinorocker1

To Sakurasuka,
Oh yeah, I remember that lineup. My siblings and I watched Dragonball Z, Sailor Moon, and Pokemon all the time. I think my favorite Toonami lineup was when it had Sailor Moon, Ronin Warriors, Gundam Wing, and Dragonabll Z. The middle two were always my favorites. Any old cartoon-network Anime fans remember the Midnight Run? 12:00 Midnight to 5:00 in the morning? Now there was some late night fun..

My very first manga, before I knew what manga was, and when the Borders worker said it was in the 'Graphic Novels' section I thought it was bloody and violent and my mom wouldn't let me get it...was Gundam Wing: Ground Zero. I was and still am a big Gundam/Gundam Wing fan, and wanted to buy the book. It was very cool.

Surprisingly, this didn't start me on manga. I was young, and the only anime I watched was cartoon network. I didn't know what manga was or really what anime was. I was young and close-minded. What helped start me on manga was a friend showing me his copy of Shonen Jump. It had One Piece and Sandland in it. I thought I might get some comics for my next birthday. Sometime around that time, I flipped through a couple pages of Newtype or Anime Insider or some magazine, and read half an article on a bunch of hit new animes "soon coming to the USA". I only remembered the descriptions, and not the names. One was about a young detective, which I later learned was Case Closed, and the toher was about a young boy with powers to transform. I thought it was Naruto, but now I realize it was DNAngel.

So, at my next birthday, I got Naruto vol. 1 (holo edition 1177 out of 5000 ^^), and One Piece vol. 1. And that's how I started collecting manga! My long narration!

~RtT

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=DarkRed][FONT=Fixedsys]When I as still a huge DBZ freak... I bought two of the thin volumes I thought that it was amazing and worth somthing to be holding these rare articles in my hands. I had no idea what manga was or that there were graphic novels. I was so naive.[/FONT][/COLOR]

I don't remember which manga I read first, but the ones I got the first are: Furuba #4 and Excel Saga #1. My sister bought them for me for my b-day. The first manga I ever bought was Furuba #5, which I got like 4 days ago. Now, I'm going to buy at least 1 Furuba with my pay check. :animesmil

Oh yeah, and for some reason my dad says hello :animestun

Edit- Oh looky, I'm finally a Member!! :love2:

[Font=Arial]My first manga was Bleach. I started out watching the anime, and I went into the bookstore one day and saw it was a manga. So I thought to myself, "Hmm, why not buy it? It can't be bad, right?"

Good thing I did. The anime and the manga do differ from time to time, and so it makes it worthwhile to wait on both ends. (Although, I'm only on Volume 5. Shh. Don't spread it)

From there, I bought Naruto, FAKE, and Tsubasa: Resivior Chronicles. Lately, I've only been buying Naruto and Bleach, and neglecting the other two. That will change, once I get some more mulah.[/font]

My first manga was the first volume of the Inuyasha Manga. after that I kept going to Walden Books and getting the next volume or looking for other mangas that look cool. Out of my collection of manga Gravitation is my favorite my byfar. I only have the first volume but I love it. It's sooooo Funny!! :animesmil

Guest Sage Drago
My first manga was Gundam Wing Blind Target. It was good and I started to go to the manga everytime i went into that store. After that I went on to Rurouni Kenshin (I've gotten way behind on that one) then to .hack and Tsubasa.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]My frist manga was Chobits. I got it in the 7th grade and i was in the the book store with my dad when my lil brother called to meh and said, "hey nani there's this anime stuff you like." an so it began my TOTAL CONQUEST OF WORLD DOMINATION! Bwahahahahaha! XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD lol[/FONT]

Guest whoopeee
[quote name='Filipinorocker1']What is the very first manga you ever read? Mine was Ragnarok. After reading that manga I just couldnt stop going into bookstores and looking at which manga looks interesting. Ever since then I started reading D.N. Angel, Escaflowne and Negima and I started buying anime magazines. Hah, I sound like an obsessed nerd. But im not. So just post you answer. :animesmil[/quote]
My first manga was Ranma1/2. I bought it when I was around 6 or 7 years old at Hong Kong.I loved it very much but it got lost.I couldn't find it anywhere. Bad luck!! :animesigh

My first manga was Flame of Recca! My friend totally bullied me into reading it! :animeswea
The funny thing was that the backwards reading wasn't a problem for me at all! In fact, now I don't like to buy manga that are made the "normal" way.
Since then I've become a total freak about it! And it's reallykilling my wallet! :animedepr
That was what...about two years ago? Seems like such a long, long, time...
And on another note: the first manga I ever bought was Magic Knight Rayearth!

Guest Dino-kun
i would have to say Samurai Deeper Kyo. im still reading it, along with Keroro Gunso (Sgt. Frog) FMA, FLCL (actually i finished that serires, not too hard a feat but), Love Hina (dont make fun of me!) and im trying to start on Hellsing. woo!

Guest saiga
My first manga was Ranma 1/2. Of course that was in comic form not a graphic novel. -sigh- Yeah, I started so long ago. I miss those days. :animecry: :D

[COLOR=Navy][SIZE=2][FONT=Verdana]My first manga(mangas to be exact) was Cowboy Bebop. I had seen a couple of episodes on AS and thought it was cool so I bought it. Then, later that day I went to the library to see if they had any, and I ended up checking out the first volume of Gravitation. To this day, I have almost all the Cowboy Bebop mangas and I've only read the first 4 volumes of Gravitation(our library only has volumes 1-4 and I don't live near a bookstore :animecry: )[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='whoopeee']My first manga was Ranma1/2. I bought it when I was around 6 or 7 years old at Hong Kong.I loved it very much but it got lost.I couldn't find it anywhere. Bad luck!! :animesigh[/quote]

i first read yu-gi-oh in shonnen jump and then i read yu yu hakesho and shaman king!( 3 of my favs!) but the first anime i watched was sailor moon. ;)

It's been a while since I responded to one of these "first" threads. My very first manga I remember was Ranma 1/2 in Japanese and Battle Angel Atila in Japanese also. My first manga were in the raw. They were gifts from friends who live in Japan. My first english translated manga was Chobits. Since then I have added many more manga to my list of reading material the latest being Legal Drug.

[font=Verdana][color=blue]My first manga was the first and second volumes of .hack//Legend of the Twilight. At the time, I had just really started getting into the .hack//SIGN anime and it was getting close to Christmas. My dad is usually pretty good with some really random surprises and that year was no exception. On one of his comic book runs in the city, he saw the two .hack mangas (the third hadn't been released yet but he did preorder it months in advance for me) and picked them up thinking I might like them. And he was right ^_^[/color][/font]