OtakuBoards

What was your first manga?

Filipinorocker1

[SIZE="1"]My first manga ever purchased or my first series? Quite frankly, I cannot remember the first one I bought but the first series that I spent money on and completed was Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstances. I remember that I was having trouble deciding whether I wanted to buy Kare Kano: Vol. 1 or I.N.V.U: Vol. 1. After reading the first ten pages of the two, Kare Kano was the obvious winner. To this date, I own all 21 volumes and it is one of my favorite ones. [/SIZE]

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the first I ever read, after being dared by one of my friends to do so since I still thought manga was silly back then. Anyway one of the first I read was Yu-Gi-Oh. That pretty much blew the concept that manga was for kids out of the waters for me. I've seen a tiny bit of the show and there's just no comparison at all.

After that others that I have read have been Pieces of a Spiral, DNAngel-which made me glad I had seen the anime first since they really left out a lot, plus it sort of doesn't end and I've no clue when they'll get around to finishing it.

A few others I've read a bit of have been Case Closed and one called Earthian I believe. In all honesty, other than to collect the Yu-Gi-Oh series, there isn't much manga that I buy or read.

[quote name='Andy'][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="2"]Naruto, yeah, I mainly just watched anime. But the more I got into Naruto, the more I wanted to know about it, which thus led to me reading the manga. Huzzah.[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Same for me, I started reading the manga after I watched as far as I could in the anime series. I actually still haven't gone back and read the manga from the start, something I've been meaning to do.[/SIZE]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Kirie9837
My first manga was Keroro Gunso. A friend introduced it to me in my first year of jr. high and I loved it (strangely, she has no interest in manga anymore, but that was almost five years ago)! After that it was Love Hina...:animestun

• 1 month later...
My first manga was Fruits Basket. An older girl at my old school had tried to show me the tenth volume as she was reading it. She tought me how to read manga. I tried the first time , got horribly confused, gave up like the wussie fourth grader that I was and just moped around for ginving up. 2 years later, I tried again and read the first volume. I remember it well 'cause that was last year. Then I got my friend into manga.

• 2 weeks later...
My first manga was Yo Yo Hakusho! I was about 8 and then I moved and didn't get into it again until I was like 12 and now I just can't stop!!!!! I want to literally walk into the store and by every thing on the shelf, but of course I can't because I have to buy what my parents approve of or it all goes down the drain......I am not kidding! Now I am pretty good at drawing, and I so plan on getting better.

My first manga was fruits basket im a little obsesed with kyo

my sister taught me like 2 years ago now i read a lot of others my favorite is fruits basket though does anyone here read fruits basket?

im new so if somebody thinks im stupid im sorry i should of started a new thread (my sis told me that after she hit me in the back of the head
[COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="1"][INDENT]I merged your posts together pocky1300, next time you wish to add something, simply use the edit button in the lower right hand corner of your post instead of double and triple posting. Thanks. ~indifference[/INDENT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[FONT="Tahoma"]I just started one that was loaned to me the other day... Yu-Gi-Oh! And all I have to say is... [B]O_O[/B]

It is rather interesting, especially that [spoiler]alter ego[/spoiler] the main character has picked up. Uh... yeah... This is making me feel rather stupid since clearly I know next to nothing about Japanese anime or manga. XP And yes I'm saying I never considered it more than entertainment for children. >_> So shoot me!

It is fun though! Even if it is rather dark. [/FONT]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Filipinorocker1']What is the very first manga you ever read? Mine was Ragnarok. After reading that manga I just couldnt stop going into bookstores and looking at which manga looks interesting. Ever since then I started reading D.N. Angel, Escaflowne and Negima and I started buying anime magazines. Hah, I sound like an obsessed nerd. But im not. So just post you answer. :animesmil[/QUOTE]

Mine wuz Yu-Yu Hakuso. I have just been reading one after another for years. Now Im reading ,The Dreaming, series. Samith20

• 1 month later...
Guest Akari
Naruto! I'm so glad my cousin had the first Naruto manga book when she visited way back then (years ago)...I was just sort of familiar with manga and anime from friends but hadn't really experienced any. Imagine when I started reading that first Naruto book! I was totally sucked in! Since then I've been reading lots of manga online, keeping up with the japanese scantalations of Naruto, then Bleach, Fullmetal Alchemist, and a good number of other (more obscure) ones. I love manga!! :animeswea

• 1 month later...
[color=#9933ff]Wow, it actually took me a few minutes to think of what my first manga was. And even so, I'm still not sure, but this is as good as my memory gets.

And the sad thing is, I'm more sure about what my friend's first manga was (Ragnarok), than what mine was. I just remember her buying the first volume and me being way too reluctant to get something because each vol. was like... $10. Which is still why I don't own a lot of manga (I usually borrow them from her).

Um, wait, what was the point again? Oh yeah. My first manga was Magic Knight Rayearth (and it was in the used books section on sale =P), because I knew CLAMP had done Card Captor Sakura, which I really liked, so I figured I'd like this, too.

And then I bought xxxHolic by them, which I REALLY like, a lot. ^^;[/color]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
The first manga I ever read was Vol. 1 of [B]X/1999[/B]. Sadly, it gave me a negative first impression. While I am a fan of the X TV series, and the art of the manga is very pretty (as usual for CLAMP), the translation was poor. I didn't pick up any more and almost gave up on manga entirely.

Later, in the summer of that same year, I became interested in [B]Angel Sanctuary[/B]. Kaori Yuki's artwork instantly grabbed me, and the translation was much better this time. This remains my favorite manga series.

• 2 months later...
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]The first one I read was Chrono Crusade. I was volunteering at the library about 2 years ago and this boy was reading a comic. I had just moved to the city at the time, so he showed me. I was in awe as I stared at the rows of mangas. I picked up Chrono Crusade, volume 5 I believe and read it backwards, not the way you're supposed to read mangas. So I got really confused and thought it was just me when I saw the first page that said you read a different way. so i did, and i liked it! i still haven't seen the anime though. second was Rave Master. Still a fangirl now, that's where I got my theO username.:catgirl:[/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
The first manga that I've read was Samurai Deeper Kyo (at number 17 now - still reading). I was absolutely amazed.
Now I'm watching Naruto aswell (plus I started reading Naruto not long ago), and planning to order episode one of a couple of manga series to find out which I want to start reading right away :>

At the moment I'm considering:
Hellsing
Deathnote
MPD Psycho
Fullmetal Alchemist
Bleach
almost started on Naruto already

And maybe;
Hell Girl
Love Hina (?!? - Rly dunno)

Recommendations are welcome!

BTW I'm new here ^_^ Might aswell head over to the introduce yourself thread:P