OtakuBoards

What was your first manga?

Filipinorocker1

My first manga? Well, the first one I read was Hellsing, loved it. Then I read the Naruto manga (english version) english SFX bothered me quite some. But it wasn't until like page 9 with the first mention of "doppelganger" that drove me mad. In desperation, hoping that it was just a one time thing. I read on. It wasn't until around page 30 something that I put it down and never continued it again. What made me turn the english manga down? The words "ART OF THE DOPPELGANGER" printed where "Shadow Clone Technique", "Shadow Clone Jutsu", or "Kage Bunshin no jutsu" should have been printed.

That turned me away from VIZ as a company, and it also made me bias when they licenced the Naruto series (which turned out far better than I initially thought, based on how the manga turned out). However the first manga I owned was the Fullmetal Alchemist Vol. 1 english version, the english SFX still bother me, I wish they were in japanese, also, they could at least let the characters say a little more than "dammit" or "hell", especially in the Shonen Jump novels (ie. Bleach). I currently own the Fullmetal Alchemist Volumes 1 thru 3, and Bleach 1-9, I am hoping to buy some Hellsing manga in the future, seeing as how I liked it so much.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Hummingbird
My first manga was.. ... Dragonball..
:animeangr geez I hate it.. but I started to draw on my own after that. :catgirl: I think I'm prety good at it now, I have my own style, witch is good.

My very first manga I read was Fruits Basket vol 1.
I went to this camp, and there was this girl who was obsessed with anime, so I said hi. She asked me if I ever read manga before, I didn't, so she gave me her Fruits Basket book and taught me how to read manga. Now, that same girl lives far away from me, but we're still friends. (By the way, she had a cool name. It was Ckat. It was spelled like that too. :catgirl: )

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Navy]Well, let's see... I read my very first manga a long, long time ago, but I still remember what it was...

Lum Uatsuri*Yatsura (I forgot how to spell it[/COLOR]....[/FONT] :animeswea )[FONT=Comic Sans MS] [COLOR=Navy]Volume 1 was my very first mini-manga that I've ever read. It wasn't in the regular graphic novel form when I got it, but, after I read some of it, how can I say it... I was hooked to manga from then on. Rumiko Takahashi's works are so awesome that they probably would make anyone convert over to anime/manga.

Thankies to Rumiko Takahashi for converting me to the manga world!! If it wasn't for her, my life would be boring today!!! [/COLOR] [/FONT] :animesmil :catgirl:

• 3 weeks later...
[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Hiya![/COLOR]

[COLOR=Indigo]My first ever manga was 'Marmalade Boy' by Wataru Yoshizumi! That's not what started my obcession with manga and anime tho', it was the first official manga I bought! I'd already got into anime and manga by watching a number of shows including Escaflowne, Sailor Moon, Cardcaptors etc. etc.[/COLOR]

[CENTER][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]I think my first manga was [B]Fruits Basket[/B]
which I own all of so far. Although, I'm
not quite sure it was my first since it was so long ago.
But I'm pretty sure it was either [B]Fruits Basket[/B]
or[B] Gravitation[/B]. Curse my crappy memory...[/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

Guest ANIMEWINGS
my first manga was fushigiyugi i loved it so much and i got into it and i still collect other books. i also loved watching the anime series of it especially inuyasha i love it sooo much :catgirl: :p ^^

well at first i just read gundam in like 3rd grade then i read dragon ball in like 5th around then i got into shonen jump and now im reading a.i.ga tomaranai,ai yori aoshi,azumanga daioh,bleach,blame!,cardcaptorsakura,chiyobitsu,chronocrusade comic party,cowboy bebop ,cromartie high demon diarys dnangel,excelsaga furicuri,furiba,haganenorenkinjutsushi,full metal panic ,galaxy angel, GTO,. hack legend,hellsing,inuyasha,initiald,lovhina,mahoromatic,megatokyo,mahu sensei negimagi,evangelion,ragnarock,ranmahan,kenshin,,ultra maniac ,saikano,saiyuki,scryed,samurai deper kyo,keroro gunso,tokyo mew mew.tsubasa, xxx holic,yotsuba
oh yah i read shojo beat also

wow this is sad i did that all by memory

:catgirl: um first one i read was Dragon Knights by Mineko Ohkami she is so cool i am an obessed fan

you can hate me i don't care:
i currently have over 100 mangas and over 30 anime dvds, yeah i am obessed so deal with it don't flame me if you don't like it :catgirl: :animeswea

Guest Lunpin4
[SIZE=1][B]My first was manga was Prince of Tennis.I like Ryoma Echizen,he my favorite.
And I like other like Mar,Seven of Seven,Love Hina.So I read them all and I like it.[/B][/SIZE]

My first and FAVORITE manga was DramaCon. I didn't get into manga untill quite recently, I wasn't a very "proud" anime fan. People treat you different because you 'watch cartoons' ... I think I got it twice as bad cuz I'm a girl. For some reason people treat girl nerds differently.....i find it odd.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='hentai#1']The Love Hina series, it was just plain funny about the situations he would get in... I just enoyed it over all... this series is one reason my favorite artist is Ken Akumatsu. :animesmil[/quote]

Love Hina was the first one for me too, and as you said It was (and still is) a great and very funny manga. I really enjoyed it :)

[COLOR=Plum]Fruits Basket. I just got into manga/anime this summer, when a friend of mine from figure skating and school told me to buy Fruits Basket. I got the 1st one, and became totally hooked. Now Im in Anime Club at my school (which was started by the same friend that got me hooked on FB). We are all working on our own mangas at this point (just for fun). And to think it all started with Fruits Basket...[/COLOR]

Guest Kitsune
Lemme see... CCCom! Culture Crash Comics! Well, it depends if anyone could really call that a manga or so. But it's the first I've read so far! I love those guys~ their series of One Day Isang Diwa, Pasig, Solstice Butterfly, Kubori Kikiam and Cat's Trail wow me!

And next in line is our team's Scratch Go-Go before I ever became part of them... hehehehe~

Guest kuroinuyoukai
When my brother was in high school he let me read some of his Ranma manga. I thought it was hilarious..... I read the first 4 manga again when I spent the night a few months ago. I need to buy them myselfthough. He's too protective of his collection. :catgirl: