OtakuBoards

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

Foredaddy

Well big news in my world these days.... Theres gonna be a Metal Solid 4 and its gonna be for the PS3. Now I loved Snake Eater. One of the best Metal Gears so far and I just cant wait to even get a wiff of the new one coming out. All I know about it so far is that it is being directed by Hideo Kojima and the main character is gonna be Solid Snake. Just by that news alone I'm satisfied. Are you guys hella pumped or are you sick of this franchise?

Check out this link for a teaser video put together by Hideo Kojima.
[URL=http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/adventure/metalgearsolid4/media.html]CLICK ME FOO! IM THE LINK![/URL]

I'm about as excited as I can be for how far away it is.

There has been a bit more about the game released though.

1. Snake is the main character, but from the concept art it looks like Raiden and Meryl are going to be in the game as well. Hopefully as playable characters. Naomi might be in the game in some fashion too.

2. We are probably going to find out a lot more about Big Boss after MGS3, his remains or possibly his living withered body are in the concept art as well. In MGS1 the govt. refused to give up the remains to liquid snake, so that situation might come up again with Ocelot [spoiler]with Liquid taking over his brain through the hand or whatever crazy thing was going on there[/spoiler]

3. The game is themed nowhere to hide. Maybe that means exteme hiding places, or just a whole new system of gameplay?

I just bought MGS: Twin Snakes and played through it, and picked up MGS2: Substance to play through and check out the extras. I also can't wait for MGS3: subsistence with online play and releases of the original two Metal Gear games.

[color=#332E1D][font=franklin gothic medium]I just saw the trailer for this, which was pretty cool. I have to admit, I feel sorry for poor Raiden...lol

The thing that intrigues me most about the new game is the setting and the theme. I have no idea about setting, but the theme is interesting. "Nowhere to hide"? Maybe it means that, unlike MGS3, you won't be able to take constant cover anymore. Perhaps you'll have to blend in with enemies, or perhaps you'll only be able to seek temporary cover. So it would be about constantly evading/running away from enemies rather than sitting in a hidden spot for a while, as you plan what to do. Maybe that also implies more frequent action...who knows.

It's very interesting though, especially given the gameplay advances in MGS3 (which I only started playing yesterday - brilliant game, by the way). I'm definitely looking forward to this one, it'll be one of the biggest reasons for me to own a PS3.[/color][/font]

-Yeah the "nowhere to hide" theme has got me pretty intrigued about the new MGS. Maybe Snake will have to be Rambo-like. Like going through ammo like it ain't no thang. I don't know if I'd like that as much though.

-Also, Im not too pumped about the return of lame *** Raiden. I was pretty mad after MGS2 and only getting to play as Solid Snake for such a small portion of the game, but so weren't most fans of Solid Snake. Thats why Im pretty damn happy for the return of Solid Snake as the main character.

You should all be familiar with my opinion by now. Metal Gear Solid 3 is [B]the[/B] game of this generation of consoles. The blend of perfect gameplay and storytelling is complimented by the best characterization I've ever seen in a game (at least as far as the main characters are concerned). The humor--the drama, I love it all. The subtle way in which you see a man who would do anything for his country become affected in such a way that he becomes the world's most dangerous terrorist is incredible. So, suffice to say, I'm even going to double dip when Metal Gear Solid 3 :Subsistence is released. Eventually, I'd love to write a paper on the game, not for school but just because I think it'd be an interesting thing to do and would probably help me gain even further appreciation of it.

If the Playstation 3 is going to be as expensive as I'm predicting, I won't be in a huge hurry to pick one up. But, when Metal Gear Solid 4 is on the horizon, you can bet that I'll take the hit. Especially since the concept art hints that they're finally bringing back Big Boss. They've hinted at his remains in the first two Metal Gear Solids and Metal Gear Solid 3 focused on him entirely, so including him in a greater capacity seems like the natural thing to do. I'm excited.

[QUOTE=Foredaddy]
-Also, Im not too pumped about the return of lame *** Raiden. I was pretty mad after MGS2 and only getting to play as Solid Snake for such a small portion of the game, but so weren't most fans of Solid Snake. Thats why Im pretty damn happy for the return of Solid Snake as the main character.[/QUOTE]

Raiden's return isn't all that surprising, since he seems to have a huge fan following in Japan (from what I can tell, mostly among yaoi fangirls XD; I like him, but he's no Snake).

PSM (I think) just released an article about MGS4 and all the characters in it... Vamp appears to be back as well O_O; (I can't remember anyone else that hasn't already been mentioned XD I was just like "Squee! Vamp!" and forgot everything else)

[size=1]The theme, as stated, is "Nowhere to hide," so I'm reading articles... and reading more articles... and I came up with something. If you look at the main characters' sneaking suits, they've all been upgraded, looking similar to the ninja's. This could mean that you have stealth throughout the entire game... possibly hooked up to a battery or something so you'd only use it only when you need to... but that's sooo MGS3 (yeah, I was going for that effect). It sounds interesting. I also though of James's idea of perhaps disguising yourself as a guard for most of the game, and using the camo menu for switching uniforms between different areas.

As for Big Boss's remains, it would make sense for them to be alive. Otherwise, why would the government be so reluctant to relinquish his remains to the terrorists? It also reminds me of how they experimented on Gray Fox. We already know that the genome soldiers of the first MGS were created using Big Boss's remains, and if he's actually being brought out as a character, would that make him the main villan or something?

Also, is anyone noticing how much older Snake looks in the picture compared to how much the other characters aged (not much at all)? I'm wondering if FoxDie is going to come back in this game or something.

And if I'm right about some of the story details, what Kojima said will be true, that Metal Gear for the PS3 is going to be another trilogy similar to the first one. I think that they're going to bring back some elements from MGS1 for the story, and my point is made even stronger by the assumed return of Naomi Hunter.[/size]

[color=darkred]I'm glad, and kind of surprised, that Kojima started the production so soon after MGS3, though the release date is a wounder. Ouch.

After playing MGS3, I often asked myself what could possibly be done to improve on the whole stealth factor, let alone the game itself, any further? Well, the fact that MGS3 was set in a totally different terrain to any of the other MGS games kind of gave it a scratch above the rest of them. The forest and mountainous areas allowed for different possibilities to be explored within the MGS franchise because it was something different for a game of its liking, and for a first attempt at it, it was pulled off pretty damn well.

When I think of MGS2 though, and the fact that MGS4 is set after it in the MGS timeline, I think of a modern theme, which is why I feel that this game will be relatively different to MGS3 in terms of scenery, though it's almost certain that many of MGS3's great applications will remain, and with new doors and possibilities open from its predecessors, I'm guessing that MGS4 will exceed MGS3 in many ways, despite how different the games might be.[/color]

[size=1]PSM did an interview with Hideo Kojima in their latest issue. Kojima stated that the beginning of the trailer was a major hint pointing to the gameplay of MGS4. Basically, he said we're used to an object always being there to hide behind. What if you had to hide behind a truck, then suddenly a soldier got in the truck and started driving? You would either get spotted, or you'd have to keep moving along with the truck.

As for Big Boss, PSM looked back at some pre-design sketches of MGS1 and found a picture of Big Boss in a cryo chamber. This means that it is almost definitely him.

Kojima also said that he liked the young Ocelot from MGS3, so he's putting him in as a character for the online mode of MGS4.[/size]

I'd like to take this time to point out that Kojima is infamous for pulling stunts on us with confusing the point at hand. Granted, the teaser was friggin' awesome, but we can't take anything serious at this point. Hell, PS3 isn't expected until at least Q2 '06, and we're gonna try and discuss what this game will bring to an established series of misleading teasers? Don't get me wrong, I was very pleased to hear that, once more Hideo went back on his word and is forging ahead with the MGS series, but I've decided to stop wasting energy on speculation when I know that it could be the day before the launch date and Kojima would tell us something new and completely fabricated.

It's all sales, sure, and it can be fun to discuss it, but, for pity's sake, don't assume this game will be "Rambo-like," or something equally off the wall.

[Then again, I just hope they have a shotgun in it again. :D

And that we can have some Raikov-torturing minigame.]

[quote name='Charles']Especially since the concept art hints that they're finally bringing back Big Boss. They've hinted at his remains in the first two Metal Gear Solids and Metal Gear Solid 3 focused on him entirely, so including him in a greater capacity seems like the natural thing to do. I'm excited.[/quote]
[size=1]Hell, Subsistence comes with Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 as playable subgames.. 2 games with Big Boss in them. They obviously want to keep him in gamers' minds.
[strike]And has anyone seen the old skinny dude with the eyepatch over his right eye in a tight black bodysuit on the MGS4 teaser page?

I reckon it's BB >_>[/strike]
EDIT: Just realised what I was blabbering on about [i]is[/i] the concept art, lol [/size]

• 4 weeks later...
Guest juzzam
After seeing the nowhere to hide slogan I straight away thought of destroyable environments, which could also be used to your advantage aswell as your downfall. For example, you could (hopefully) use a shotgun, to shoot at a wall taking some of it down and while guards are investigating you could sneak up and kill them...
You just never know with kojima

For all we know, it could be a Galaga rehash.

Anyway, that teaser was frikkin awesome. Quite possibly the best teaser I have ever seen, in fact. I don't own any MGS games, and the only amount of any of them I have played is the demo of MGS 2, but that alone is enough to know that this is a great series (which I will buy all of soon) and I cant wait for MGS4.

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

I first read about this on Wikipedia about a few days ago, and the prospect of a sequel to Snake Eater so soon is something that has me giddy with excitement. I loved every second of playing Snake Eater, the characters, the story, the action, everything about the game was just beyond superb. Having gotten really attached to Big Boss in Snake Eater, I was quite disappointed with what happens to him, thought again it's like commenting on Vader's actions in [B]A New Hope[/B], having just seen [B]Revenge of the Sith[/B].[/SIZE]

[quote name='satan665]2. We are probably going to find out a lot more about Big Boss after MGS3, his remains or possibly his living withered body are in the concept art as well. In MGS1 the govt. refused to give up the remains to liquid snake, so that situation might come up again with Ocelot [spoiler']with Liquid taking over his brain through the hand or whatever crazy thing was going on there.[/spoiler][/quote]

[SIZE=1][spoiler]Liquid's ability to possess Ocelot has to do with Ocelot's parents, though more specifically to do with his father. Hinted as several times in the game, Ocelot is the child of The Joy and The Sorrow, whom The Boss told you was taken from her by the Patriot's roughly twenty years before Snake Eater.

The Sorrow, Ocelot's father was able to contact the dead in order to get information about battlefield situations, as such it is possible that Ocelot possesses this ability, or at least something like it. This allows Liquid even though dead to possess Ocelot because of his arm.

Here's the direct quote from Wikipedia.

At this point it becomes apparent that Liquid is able to take over Ocelot's mind and body via the arm. The reason why Liquid can take over Ocelot may be because of possible abilities as a medium inherited from his father The Sorrow, combined with the nanomachine-surgery Ocelot received in France. Ocelot is seen using injections of some sort to suppress the manifestations.[/spoiler][/SIZE]

• 1 month later...
[color=darkred]You know, in MGS2, just before Snake gives the HF Blade to Raiden, Snake mentions that he's not a big fan of blades, yet he sports a knife in the pic below. I'm not so sad that I remember the dialogue of a game that was released a few years ago, since I played MGS2 fairly recently, but I am bored enough to post about it.[/color] :D

[img]http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2005/257/reviews/926596_20050916_screen005.jpg[/img]

[color=darkred]Another thing, doesn't the black skin-tight suit that Snake is wearing in the pic look incredibly similar to the one that Big Boss wore underneath his camouflage in MGS3, except that Snake's isn't fingerless? Either technology has stayed the same for some half a century, or it was incredibly advanced back in the good old days.[/color]

[URL=http://www.konami.jp/gs/kojima_pro/japanese/mgs4_04.html]trailer for MGS4[/URL]

From the looks of it CQC will be back, because he uses it on a soldier in the beginning. Honestly, I didn't really care for the CQC, as I'm more of long-range person, but I still want it back. Also in response to an earlier question, Snake doesn't like blades because they are too clumsy, with a knife he can use his gun also. It looks like the "Nowhere to Hide" saying means he will be in a run-down urban area with very few places to hide.

[color=darkred]I haven't got access to that video, so I don't know what is or what isn't in it, but from looking at the pics it looks very likely that CQC will be in the game. If not, then maybe it will undertake some other form, but nonetheless something along the lines will appear. I thought that CQC was very fitting for MGS3 in many ways, as it allowed for a much higher level of interaction when using Snake. Being able to hide yourself and sneak past enemies with various camouflages in different environments is one thing, but to use the camouflage options to actually attack the enemies is another, which is a great edge, I think. So maybe something of the liking will be incorporated into MGS4, which is why I'm so excited about the "no where to hide" theme.

Hmmm, also, I just noticed that Snake was holding both an AK and a knife in that pic. Last I checked in MGS3, both of those weapons weren't compatible together with CQC.[/color]

Perhaps you had a dream last night...a dream of aging soldiers, walking battle tanks, and bendy cigarettes. (We ourselves had dreams of being stabbed in the neck.) And it was all so vivid, as if it were direct-feed video funneled directly into your subconscious.

It was no dream. Last night while we were all asleep, Konami released the first official direct feed trailer of Metal Gear Solid 4 from the Tokyo Game Show.

[url]http://www.konami.jp/gs/kojima_pro/japanese/mgs4_04.html[/url]

[COLOR=DarkGreen]Well lookin at the triler of this game makes me wanna play Snake eater again, Hideo Kojima was smart for leaving Konami so he made his own productions, Kojima productions as it already stands this game is gonna be in the "I gotta have this game bad" department lucious graphics, yet another great story line, & Snake of course who could ask for more to like about this personaly im a Metal Gear fan & I can see that MGS4 Guns of the patriots will not disspoint [/COLOR]

(Courtesy of [URL=http://www.1up.com]GAMERS FOO![/URL] [I]"Metal Gear Solid creator Hideo Kojima continues his reign as the gaming industry's most respected visionary with a wicked sense of humor. After teasing attendees at this May's Electronic Entertainment Expo with an irreverent, joke-laden trailer for Metal Gear Solid 4 (that offered no gameplay footage or substantive info about the game), he finally unveiled the fourth installment in his legendary stealth-action series at today's Tokyo Game Show.
The nine-minute long promo for the newly-christened Guns of the Patriots opens with a cunning ruse: You're immediately thrust behind a rifle amid a squad of soldiers who are carefully surveying a bombed-out urban wasteland. The sheer visual prowess of the PS3 instantly impresses: Futuristic helicopters hover overhead, realistic clouds of dust and debris sweep across your field of vision, blinding lens flares and high-dynamic range lighting paint the city with stunning shadows...it's all very, very pretty. Just as you're coming to the realization that MGS4 appears to be a full-on first-person shooter, complete with strafing, Kojima pulls one of his trademark wordplay jokes. Several zany acronyms for FPS spray across the screen, climaxing with the question: Is MGS4 an FPS? Suddenly, a silver-haired Solid Snake appears from off-screen and pulls some punishing close-quarters combat moves against the enemy solider whose view you've been sharing. "No way!" erupts across the screen. Guess that clears that up...

Snake proceeds to take cover within a crumbling edifice while large patrols of enemy soldiers, armored personnel carriers, and giant bipedal Metal Gear robots march through the windswept streets. As Snake takes a breather, you can access how he's changed. Snake now sports a silvery mullet, slightly embarrassing moustache, form-fitting new sneaking suit, and a highly futuristic "Solid Eye System" electronic eyepatch. Snake obviously looks a bit worse for the wear, and the trailer doesn't divulge exactly how much time has progressed since the events of MGS2. A mysterious "X years after the events of Big Shell" gives some hint, but the battle-scarred, world-weary Snake here seems to have taken a page from the Sam Fisher "I'm too old for this sh!t" for this latest adventure. Snake's health even seems to be in danger: While hiding out in this building, he's gripped by a nasty coughing fit that he quiets with a sudden ampoule to the neck. After having to hunt wildlife and mend wounds in MGS3, having to constantly give Snake his meds in MGS4 could easily win the "most depressingly realistic minigame yet" prize.

Snake's respite ends when a Metal Gear busts into his hiding place. Well, not so much bust in...this miniature Metal Gear (bearing a striking resemblance to the cute helper 'bot from Kojima's acclaimed Sega CD graphic adventure Snatcher) comically putts around, revealing a direct-feed viewscreen of Snake's nerdy pal Otacon. This remote-controlled robot allows Otacon to aid Snake's quest while keeping him out of harm's way, and he gets Snake back into the fight with a fresh machine gun clip. Otacon quips that his robot runs on the Cell processor, but Snake has no time for tech babble - a war is raging outside.

Suddenly, the trailer cuts to the viewpoint of the larger Metal Gears patrolling the street: It's spotted Snake, so he has to make a run for it. Snake's high-tech new eyepatch comes in handy, allowing him to scan the area, view a large overhead map, and get critical info on targets. Snake and his robot pal make a run for it, leaping and shooting in majestic slow-mo as the stunningly realistic cityscape shatters around him. The spindly, bidpedal Metal Gears leap across the street, causing massive, earthshaking thuds as they land. Bullets fill the air, absurd amounts of debris, smoke, and particles obscure your vision, and intense waves of heat warp your view. War on the PS3 looks like hell, and MGS4's "No place to hide" mantra seems all too true.

Sadly, the action comes to an end quickly, leaving you wanting more. Snake recalls Otacon's explanation of his little robot and asks, "Hey, what is that Cell processor, anyway?" Here, Kojima breaks the fourth wall and goes all meta on us: Otacon breaks out his laptop (complete with Zone of the Enders 2 wallpaper) and shows Snake Sony's rubber-duckies-in-a- bathtub demo, followed by the too-good-to-be-true Killzone PS3 demo from E3. Otacon continues, telling Snake that the Cell processor is "The key to winning the console war." He also promises that MGS4 will be "worth the wait." We're guessing he's right."[/I]

It also looks like there seems to be a metroid prim estyle scanning system in there.
With the FPS bit at the start, it looks a bit well made to be just for the trailer, so I think kojima will put it in th egame somewhere. It will hopefully be better than the FPS sections on MGS2 subatsance.

I beat MGS3 recently. I'm right with what Charles said, basically. A great, great game. I almost cried at the end, it was so emotional. I'm not being jocose; just beat the game, and you'll feel the same way.

I'll be buying a PS3 just for this - I don't care. This is a must own.

• 11 months later...
nice trailer charles.. i cant wait for MGS4 it is gonna be an awesome game and a must own... although i think i will get the PS3 after the Wii i will definitely get this game... snake looks so awesome..