18 members have voted

1. 1. What was the best RPG of 2004?

• Star Ocean Till the End of Time
    • Shadow Hearts Covenant
    • Tales of Symphonia
    • Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door
    • Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
    • Baten Kaitos

Okay, this is it, tell me what you think the best RPG of 2004 was. My vote goes to Tales of Symphonia. While it is true that I've only played a few of these games, this is the one that has what I consider to be the best batttle system of all time. Combining the strategy of an RPG with the frantic button mashing mayhem of an action game. Not to mention theres a freakin ton of crap to do in this game!

Are you sure that those are the only RPGs released in 2004? Because if they aren't, then the whole poll is pretty pointless. ;)

My vote went to [B]Shadow Hearts: Covenant[/B], because the game has an inventive battle system, a hilarious cast of characters, an original storyline tied to our own history, and incredible amounts of sarcastic humor - the best kind. :D

I'm totally waiting for the next instalment of the SH-series, From The New World! I hope it'll be as good as the prequel, if not even better.

I don't know why anyone would expect much out of Xenosaga 2 considering how bad the first one was lol.

There's some good RPGs missing in that poll (including Phantom Brave, Baten Kaitos and basically everything on handhelds), but it includes the ones I'd consider voting for, so it's not so bad. I didn't care for Star Ocean 3 or Shadow Hearts: Covenant whatsoever. SH: Covenant turned out a little better than I first gave it credit for (and I adjusted my review for it), but honestly it stuck true to my main "this is like a really lame, perverse anime" complaint lol. That's just my opinion.

My pick was Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. At first I figured I'd be the only one into this game, but apparently my excitement for it caught on and interested a few people who wound up buying it and enjoying it (Heaven's Cloud, Otaku Sennen, Satan665 and Zidargh are the ones I know of).

It's a really solid title with a very interesting story and NPCs. The story itself has to do with what philisophy you choose in the recreation of the world following its destruction. You can take different paths depending on what alignment you choose (with Lucifer, God, whatever), resulting in one of a few endings. It has obvious religious influences.

The graphics have a weird motion blur, but are otherwise really solid and stylistic. The game has some really great cutscenes that make use of this style (such as Chiaki's classroom sequence). It has a fast, streamlined battle system and challenging dungeons. Your party is formed based on what demons you convince you join you or which ones you manage to create through fusions.

If anyone care to look into it, there's a surprisingly large thread on the title here: [url]http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=39425[/url]

If you want to buy it, I'd try to now. It's hard to find new anymore, but it's still going for fair prices on eBay. That will likely change in the coming months. It's also out in PAL territories as well.

I don't really think another RPG from 2004 compared to it (even though I liked and finished Baten Kaitos, Tales of Symphonia and Paper Mario -- to varying degrees anyway).

As for 2005, some good ones are out already, but I'm looking forward to Digital Devil Saga 2, Final Fantasy XII (I don't like the series much anymore, but this game sounds freaking amazing) and Dragon Quest VIII... among others.

[font=Verdana][color=blue]The Legend of Zelda (and the rest of the games in that series) aren't even RPGs. They are classified as Action/Adventure. Sure, there is a story and you do take on the role of someone else but it is not an RPG.[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue][/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]As for the best among the others, I really haven't played any of them though my friend said Star Ocean was good.[/color][/font]

As NPC said, there are a [i]lot[/i] of good RPG's missing from that list. The only ones I've played on the list are Shadow Hearts: Covenant and SMT: Nocturne.

My pick is [b]Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne[/b]. This is another one of those games where I had a weird dream, decided that it would make a good game, and then the game actually comes out. That being said, I picked it up the week it came to the shelf.

This game has it all. Japanese culture, a crazy story about everyone you know turning into demons, devil-worshipping cults, and it's the best game that has strong ties to religion.

You can pick to fight God or Lucifer, which is always a plus. Oh, and you turn into a demon... and play Pokemon with other demons, gotta catch 'em all!

Dante from Devil May Cry is a playable character.

The graphics are very similar to Zone of the Enders: the Second Runner. It's kind of cel-shaded, but kind of not... It gives everything a cool feel to it. Even if you don't like the game, the graphic style will keep you mesmirized for hours.

All this being said, I'd rate Phantom Brave even higher than this game. Seriously. That game needs to be on this list.

I am also looking forward to FFXII and KH2 this year! I keep hearing that FFXII is a lot like Vagrant Story, one of my favorite games ever. And KH2 is... well... Kingdom Hearts... Nuff said.

I'm going to go with Shin Megami Tensei myself, but in the poll its pretty much just pitting it against Tales of Symphonia as the only other one I have played. I thought "Tales" was good, but it was pretty much just a big cliche RPG game. The story is interesting until you figure it all out, then its pretty forgetable.

SMT wasn't the best RPG for the system in my opinion, but the story was very cool and that can make up for a lot. Collecting demons is really fun, and keeps the battles from feeling too repetitive.

Uhh well to say Ill go with Star Ocean this didnt dissapoint it was long but it was really good a very exciting adventure, I would of said Tales of Symphonia but Star Ocean had more of a good end deal Tales is good but Star Ocean just rocks and its real times fightin I dont ming turn base but it gets pretty borin after awhile for me so this is but question why isnt Kingdom Hearts in it its a kick *** RPG

[quote name='XxZeroxX']Uhh well to say Ill go with Star Ocean this didnt dissapoint it was long but it was really good a very exciting adventure, I would of said Tales of Symphonia but Star Ocean had more of a good end deal Tales is good but Star Ocean just rocks and its real times fightin I dont ming turn base but it gets pretty borin after awhile for me so this is but question why isnt Kingdom Hearts in it its a kick *** RPG[/quote]

Kingdom Hearts was made way back in 2002, if I'm not mistaken. Good game, though.

I guess I really need to get Tales of Symphonia, people keep making me feel like an idiot for not playing it.

[QUOTE=RiflesAtRecess]
I am also looking forward to FFXII and KH2 this year! I keep hearing that FFXII is a lot like Vagrant Story, one of my favorite games ever. And KH2 is... well... Kingdom Hearts... Nuff said.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but you aren't getting FFXII this year. The Japanese release date announced at the Square-Enix Party just this weekend is 16th March 2006, so it'll probably hit US by summer and us poor wee Europeans in fall that year. Long wait, sigh...

Oh, adding to my previous post within this thread, I also choose Shadow Hearts Covenant for the reason that it's the only game in the poll that I've actually played. :sweat:

In response to complaints about not enough games, I didn't include tactics games. I'll do a different thread for tactics games. I also didn't put any GBA games for some reason. I only wanted to do six games, and disincluding GBA and tactics, there were only a few other good RPGs. Baten Kaitos and Xenosaga 2 and Fable and KOTOR 2 are the only ones I missed. In fact, I think I'll add on Baten Kaitos, but the others don't really deserve a spot.

[QUOTE=Sage]I'm sorry, but you aren't getting FFXII this year. The Japanese release date announced at the Square-Enix Party just this weekend is 16th March 2006, so it'll probably hit US by summer and us poor wee Europeans in fall that year. Long wait, sigh...
:sweat:[/QUOTE]

The PS3 is going to make it out before FFXII!! man I'm so pissed. I thought it was coming in December.

[quote name='ThoraxtheImpaler']Also, can someone tell me how to edit polls?[/quote][color=#4B0082]I don't know if regular members are allowed to, but if they are, there should be a little "Edit Poll" link over to the right of the title of the poll. And I went ahead and switched out ZFSA for Baten Kaitos for you.

And I swear I [i]will[/i] buy Tales of Symphonia. ... Some time. >_>;[/color]

[COLOR=Purple][SIZE=1]I'd have to go with Tales of Symphonnia mainly becaue I liked the battle system and characters. I also like that me and my friends could hook up and play 4-player with all the characters and still go on with the main storyline. My second would be Star Ocean because it's the only other game I've played on the list.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

It's a toss up for me between Tales of Symphonia and Star Ocean. The battle system in star ocean went down him from Star Ocean: The silver story complete (great game and I suggest checking it out for the PSone) But as far as shear story it would have to go to Star Ocean,

The ending of Tales of Symphonia was quite possibly the worst ending to an RPG i've ever played. Up until the end it had Star Ocean beat hands down.....

My votes for Tales of Symphonia

[quote name='ThoraxtheImpaler]I just beat Tales of Symphonia 5 minutes ago, and I thought it was one of the best endings I have ever seen [spoiler'] I wonder what he named that tree...[/spoiler][/quote]

I would assume that would be insanely obvious if you had been paying attention to the story :p

[quote name='Generic NPC #3']I would assume that would be insanely obvious if you had been paying attention to the story :p[/quote]

Everybody keeps saying that! I payed perfect attention to the story! I just dont get it! Is it because I [spoiler] choose Kratos at the end?[/spoiler]