OtakuBoards

A look back at the old "Otaku"

Guest Colin

I find it sort of amusing how most of you people come along and think that The Otaku is the best thing since sliced bread because it's got fruity colors and a japanese name, without don't know about its roots and how it ate AGB until Adam abandoned it. If anyone is still around who remembers the old days of AGB, reader reviews, and AOL homepage addresses, I invite you to reply below.

Colin
Former Absolute Gameboy (AGB) staffer

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Colin [/i]
[B]I find it sort of amusing how most of you people come along and think that The Otaku is the best thing since sliced bread because it's got fruity colors and a japanese name, without don't know about its roots and how it ate AGB until Adam abandoned it. If anyone is still around who remembers the old days of AGB, reader reviews, and AOL homepage addresses, I invite you to reply below.

Colin
Former Absolute Gameboy (AGB) staffer [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=crimson][size=1]I agree with you. A lot of people here are seeing theOtaku in a slightly diminished state -- far from what it was at its peak.

I wasn't around in the early days of Absolute GB, but I was certainly around before Justin left...and when Frank was running AGB.

We definitely hit our stride then.

But hopefully we can hit that peak again in the future. Adam and I have plans to do some serious expansion within the next year.

And by the way, Adam didn't abandon AGB...Justin's departure forced us to close down all of our gaming sections. Very unfortunate...but at the time it was necessary.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Ice Dragon v2 [/i]
[B]I thought this topic was closed [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=crimson][size=1]It was, but I reopened it. I think that Transtic Nerve accidentally misread what Colin said.

He wasn't saying that the site is stupid for its Japanese name, he was saying that some newer people think it's great because of its colours/Japanese name.

[/color][/size]

[size=1][color=royalblue]Oh, were those the days... Whatever happen to Frank?? He was truly a funny character.... He had an obsession with mullets and the Mary Kate and Ashley... I bet he still does... :confused:

Well, I do agree with you Colin. Otaku has grown into something, I wouldn't ever imagine. I still love the old school Otaku, everything was small and peaceful. :) This place used to be a place for me, but not anymore. Yeah, I do still like it.. but not like the old Otaku. I must say, I am growing out of this place.. But oh well, I still love you all! :love:

Your fellow member

- MG [/size][/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by James [/i]
[B]

[color=crimson][size=1]It was, but I reopened it. I think that Transtic Nerve accidentally misread what Colin said.

He wasn't saying that the site is stupid for its Japanese name, he was saying that some newer people think it's great because of its colours/Japanese name.

[/color][/size] [/B][/QUOTE]

I see. Heh, simple mistake.
Well, at least no harm done.

What did happen to Frank? He was fun guy... And what of half the peeps that posted here when I came? Did they just leave, or change there names, or what?:confused:

This reminds me, I'll have been here a year on 12/23/01. Why am I still here?!*wonders off mutting about... things*

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by MysticGohan [/i]
[B][size=1][color=royalblue]Oh, were those the days... Whatever happen to Frank?? He was truly a funny character.... He had an obsession with mullets and the Mary Kate and Ashley... I bet he still does... :confused:

Well, I do agree with you Colin. Otaku has grown into something, I wouldn't ever imagine. I still love the old school Otaku, everything was small and peaceful. :) This place used to be a place for me, but not anymore. Yeah, I do still like it.. but not like the old Otaku. I must say, I am growing out of this place.. But oh well, I still love you all! :love:

Your fellow member

- MG [/size][/color] [/B][/QUOTE]yeah, i grew out of this place in 3 months when it was version two, as much as i tried, because i loved this place. i only signed up here because i thought this was going to be different, like version one. the thing i remember the most was the thread were the guy kept saying jesus was the only answer in dbz. i attempted to post again, i guess me going on now was an attempt, but things just arent the same.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by kid buu [/i]
[B]the thing i remember the most was the thread were the guy kept saying jesus was the only answer in dbz. i attempted to post again, i guess me going on now was an attempt, but things just arent the same. [/B][/QUOTE]

[size=1][color=royalblue]Yeah, I think it was Ultimate Saiyan... haha.... Things have changed...people have left... and the most important thing... [b]new[/b] people keep on coming here keeping otaku "alive". But oh well, like I said it before, I still love otaku and its wonderful members. ( Even though can be a pain in the *** :) )

- MG[/size][/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by kid buu [/i]
[B]yeah, i grew out of this place in 3 months when it was version two, as much as i tried, because i loved this place. i only signed up here because i thought this was going to be different, like version one. the thing i remember the most was the thread were the guy kept saying jesus was the only answer in dbz. i attempted to post again, i guess me going on now was an attempt, but things just arent the same. [/B][/QUOTE]
That [i]was[/i] Ultimate Saiyan. He was, not your average DB/Z/GT fan. I remember he came for a couple days a while back and tried to "Save the Boards from and Eternity in Hell" as I think I remember him saying...

-Justin

[b][color=indigo][size=1] Well, I haven't been going here for a long time like everyone else but I have been going to the otaku for a long time. I wish i would of come to the forums the first time i went to the otaku lol![/b][/color][/size]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sephiroth [/i]
[B]I can't leave the boards, james and adam have be locked up in a basement, chained to a wall, with this crap computer in front of me, and there's a security camera with a gun attached, which shoots me whenever I am not on otaku.... [/B][/QUOTE]
Justin:Those over-bearing, half-wits! I'll liberate you Seppy! Never fear, Justin's here.

James: Oh, really?

Adam: Is that so?

Justin: No, masters, I'll get back to working on the big, 1000-foot-high wall I was instructed to build all by myself...

Sephiroth: Ha ha!

James: Shut your mouth, slave!

Sephiroth: Yes, almighty master...

-Justin

Krillen: *Looks back at Old Otaku...." I dont see anything."

Krillens Consience: Thats cause you were never there to begin with stupid!

Yah, I first joined when the New 3.o Version came out, Ive never been here befor that, I never Even new that a Board Existed! LOL

But Ill always stay here with Otaku, But I'd have to admit, G and S is dieing, There are No new Rpg's, we are running out of Ideas!

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Sephiroth [/i]
[B]I can't leave the boards, james and adam have be locked up in a basement, chained to a wall, with this crap computer in front of me, and there's a security camera with a gun attached, which shoots me whenever I am not on otaku.... [/B][/QUOTE]

[FONT=century gothic]OMG! You, too?

::looks around::

Anyway....

I've been here on and off for about a year. Didn't register on the boards till March.....[/FONT]

Colin!??
IS that actually you!????

Wait... i doubt you would remember me.

does the name Trunks ring a bell?
One of the newest mods when you were around???

heh, i remember you, your obsession with the word "sweet" and umm... ! your flashy avatar that was giving people in tokyo seizures???

Yep, i remember the good 'ol days. When AGB was at its best... Me modding the Dbz forum... All of us using the Gaming forum as a general discussion....

Ancient times...

i kind of remember otaku before they revamped it, it was pretty awesome. the reason why it started to slow was, i believe, that because of all the favourite threads being closed because 2 or 3 ppls spammed. People who reguarly checked out the thread would then take it personally (me) and leave the board for a while.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Cera [/i]
[B]I've been here on and off for about a year. Didn't register on the boards till March.....[/FONT] [/B][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Me too. According to Nerdsy, You, me and him joined in the same week.

People that I haven't seen in ages: Kari Kamiya, Pikachus Partner, Ben, and Digimon Kaizer.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Shyguy [/i]
[B]

[SIZE=1]Me too. According to Nerdsy, You, me and him joined in the same week.

People that I haven't seen in ages: Kari Kamiya, Pikachus Partner, Ben, and Digimon Kaizer.[/SIZE] [/B][/QUOTE][FONT=century gothic]Yeah...but I was first! Mwahahahaha--uh....right.

[i]Anyway.[/i]

Yeah, I've not seen KK for ages.... P's P is now Otaku kid, you may have seen him around more recently. And i talk to Ben sometimes on AIM. He just dun come to the boards any more. I guess I dun really remember Digimon Kaizer. There were a lot of peeps at one point or anyother with names like Digimon Emperor, or KaizerKen or whatnot...they all got sort of muddled up to me...[/FONT]