OtakuBoards

What a Nasty place!!!!!

Dan L

Well, about two weekends ago a few of us went down to a place called Ware, in Hertfordshire, which is in the south of the UK. And while we were down there, I was browsing through the street atlas when all of a sudden I found this place..

I could barely believe it, and it was quickly decided that we had to make a trip there just to see if there was some kind of sign there.. and we found one!! (see attachment)

Now what I'm wondering, is

1- do any of you guys know of any equally silly place names where you live/where you've been, and
2- do you have any proof?!

[color=DarkRed]Oh I have a great one. There a town in Austria called *******. I'm not kidding. I don't have the proof, but it's a popular tourist attraction for English-Speaking people; they go there to steal road signs that say '*******' or '******* Srt' or the like. The people of ******* (****ers? ****ingites? ****ingise?) didn't even know what the name meant to English people until during WWII, when Allied soldiers told them. They had a vote to change the name but they said 'To us, ******* is *******. It has always been ******* and always will be.'

[color=DarkGreen][b][size=1][font=Verdana]Ilium, yet again I've had to edit your post for language. I know it was on topic this time, but this thread is supposed to be open for people of all ages to read. As I've said before, don't rely on the autocensorship. Either don't swear at all or, in cases like here where you couldn't really avoid it, star the words out yourself.
[/font][/size][/b][/color][/color] [right][color=DarkGreen][size=1]-Raiyuu[/size][/color]
[/right]

[size=1][color=black]Okay, I can't really come up with something silly, except all of the villages that are named after countries. Those are probably for parents who can say on vacation: "Hey kids, let's go to America!" and then have a five minute drive to some creepy old village. Don't have proof.

I had some proof (somewhere..) though on a really bad streetname. On one of my trips into germany, there was a street called "Judengasse strasse". How evil can you name your street in Germany? o_O"[/size][/color]

[SIZE=1]There was a thing about stupid place names in the Daily Mail a couple of days ago. It seems that people have no consideration for the folk who live there when making such names ^_~.

I personally have visted 'spittle in the street' in Lincolnshire, thats the only one I can remember.

Although on Boo's subject, I do live near a 'New York' and a 'Washington' and I live in the North East of England.[/SIZE]

[color=#6699cc]I know there's a Hell, Michigan, and there are a BUNCH of little townships in Wisconsin that are named after other countries.

I really only know this becauuse I posted about it on myO a couple years ago:

The following misplaced towns are located (unlike their better-known counterparts) in Wisconsin, USA:

Wittenburg, Windsor, Wales, Tripoli, Sussex, Stockholm, Sparta, Sherwood, Scandinavia, Rome, Rhinelander, Plymouth, Oxford, Oregon, Ontario, Onalaska, New London, Mount Horeb, Mount Calvary, Montreal, Monticello, Medina, Luxemburg, Lisbon, Lebanon, Krakow, Juneau, Holland, Hanover, Genoa, Ephraim, Eldorado, Eden, Dorchester, Denmark, Chili, Cazenovia, Cambridge, Brooklyn, Berlin (and New Berlin), Belgium, Avalon, and Athens.

Abstract places include: Embarrass, Loyal, Luck, Endeavor, and Independence.

There is also a Tony, a Rudoplh, a Random Lake, a "Neopit," and an Arcadia.

There's also a Gotham, heh.

There's a state park near me called Bong Recreation Area. I went camping there as a lass. :)[/color]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1]There are not too many crazy street names or places where I'm from. The three street names that I have come across in my town are [i]Atkins, Avacado, & Aspirin [/i]. My best friend lives on Atkins Rd, which is the diet my dad is now on. I don't know how someone could come up with Aspirin and Avacado. I find Nasty to be much better. [/SIZE][/FONT]

I live in Michigan, USA and there is, in fact, somewhere in the top of the Lower Peninsula, a town called [b]Hell[/b]. So, as a joke around my hillbilly town of Carson City, whenever we tell someone to "go to Hell," someone tends to say "Hell, Michigan? Alright!" It's gotten old by now since we made the joke when we were... I dunno however young. But still... it makes me curious what the place is like. I guess what I'm trying to say is...

... I'm going to Hell someday. XD

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

Of the top of my head I can't think of very many funny Irish place names, at least those that are genuinely funny in their own language such as Dan's example of Nasty. There are the cities (and counties) of Limerick, Cork and Mayo, as well as the suburb of Swords in Dublin but I don't personally find them funny though I suppose that?s down to the fact I've gotten used to them. A few homonyms would Fethard, pronounced the same way as feathered which I found rather funny when we first moved out to my current house. You could also throw in the counties of Kilkenny (also a city), which many South Park fans might chuckle at, and Offaly which sounds very close to awfully. And at this moment that?s all I can think of. [/SIZE]

There are a couple of places that come to mind when thinking of funny town names. One is a small town in California that my hubby and I drive through on our yearly trek to Anime Expo. It's called Weed. We usually stop there to get gas for the car and they always have these shirts and things that say: "Get High in Weed". I have a magnet from there and bought a shot glass for my friend for her collection.

The other place is in my home state of Washington. The town of George, Washington is about 1/2 an hour away from where I live. Every 4th of July they make this huge cherry pie to celebrate the holiday. I believe at one point, perhaps still today, they are in the record books for the largest cherry pie. The rumor is that the town of George, Washington is not named after the first president. It's supposedly named after the town founder's dog. :p

[size=1]Don't have any proof of this but I've seen a road in/near Bolton, Greater Manchester (UK) called [spoiler]Hornydyke Ave[/spoiler].. you could probably find it on a A-Z..

My brother goes to a boarding school up in Bolton and we go u to visit him near enough every Sunday, and on my many adventures there I've seen the roadsign, although I can't seem to find the road on streetmap.co.uk etc.

[b]EDIT: Went today and it was "Thorny..", missed out a T -.-[/b][/size]

[size=1]I used to live in Oklahoma, and lived there for over half of my life. I don't have pictures or anything, but there is a town in Northeastern Oklahoma that has the same name as my last name: Geary. Yeah, I remember I was in OKC one time, and saw a sign for it. It's kind of creepy, and makes me wonder about my heritage. And I hope my family history had nothing to do with Oklahoma, lol. But that would be crazy if it did.

Geary, Oklahoma. And I never visited.[/size]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=Sienna]Well, there's a little "town" called [B]Bone[/B] somewhere in Idaho. It's kind of exaggerating to call it a town, or establishment, or anything to do with that, because it's basically just a gas station...and for some reason, people go there.

Also, in Belize I came across the little village of [B]Teakettle[/B]. They have adorable names there. Sorry about not having solid evidence to go along with this.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Heh- actually guys, don't worry about the evidence.. I only have a picture cos we happened to go visit Nasty when we happened to have a camera :p.. not everyone's going to have done that.. We were actually a bit disappointed when we got to Nasty though, cos we were really hoping for something like "The Nasty Tavern" or "Nasty Stores".. or something like that, but the village only had about 5 houses and a few fields to it's name :p.

Though come to think of it, there's also a place called Crookes fairly near where I live.. I didn't say sooner cos I get so used to it being there that I forget it's kind of a funny name :p..

[color=darkviolet]Whew boy do I have a few!

I live in a town called Gates named after General Horatio Gates (Granny Gates) from the American Revolution. I told someone that once and he asked if it was near Fences- ha ha ha.

The town my granparents and my mom's two sisters live in is called Chili and is pronounced the way it's spelled. But people from out of twpm pronounce it like the food chili. The town have a festival every year called the Chili (like the food) fest.

The next town over from me is Greece, and we also have a Warsaw and a Rome so I can drive to those places in a day.

I've driven through a place in Kentucky called Bucksnort. I'm serious, Bucksnort Kentucky. There is also a Bone Lick State park somewhere down south.

In Eastern New York we have Rensseler, Rotterdam, Amsterdam and the ever famous Fishkill as well as the Catskill mountains. FYI kill is creek in dutch and the first settlers of New York were Dutch.

Buffalo has some of the best suburbs though, Tonawanda, Cheektowaga, Depew, ect.

Around the Batavia area there is a town called LeRoy (French for The King) Around Watertown there is a simular town called LeRay.

I have no more.... Oh wait I do, there is a town in PA called Intercourse! I'm not kidding.[/color]

[quote name='ChibiHorsewoman][color=darkviolet']...there is a town in PA called Intercourse! I'm not kidding.[/color][/quote]
yeah youre right. {lol, this topic is funny :animesmil}. when i recall that my trip to Pennsylvania during one of my school field trips i remember some towns with wierd names. The towns near the place where the Amish live have names such as Fertility, Intercourse, Virginville, Bird In Hand, Blue Ball, and the like. You should google these towns, quite hilariuos.

[color=#9933ff]Ah. I was going to say "Intercourse, Pennsylvania" but I'm afraid CHW beat me to it. I've been there, and actually stayed in some hotel where part of a movie was filmed, once. And I know that's extremely vague, but I can't remember much. :/

I didn't know about all those other towns, TailTactics, but they do sound pretty funny. *laughs*

New Jersey... Well, named after Jersey in England, then. I also just found out, last night, while I was looking for Nîmes, France, that there's a place in France called Órleans. I mean, it does make total sense that New Orleans is named after it, but I just didn't know that there was a place called "Órleans." V___V

I know there's a bunch of towns around the country named for countries in the middle east (i.e.: "Lebanon, Pennsylvania" - my mom's friend's daughter's husband is from there). Lots of places like that were formerly named for European countries - usually countries and places like Germany (Axis Powers), or communist countries and towns. So they changed them all to Middle Eastern countries after the war. Which is semi-ironic, because of things today, and Israel-Palestine events after WWII (if anyone brings that up in this thread, [a few choice names come to mind] I will throttle you to no end. I deserve to be able to type those names without an ensuing debate.)[/color]

[color=darkviolet]I actually know the origins of some place names:

[b]Hooker OK-[/b] Named after a General Hooker, a Union officer in the Civil war

[b]Ft. Hood and Bell County TX[/b]- Named after the same Confederate General. A [i]very[/i] unlucky guy.

[b]Lake Mead[/b]- A man made lake named after another Union General

[b]Pheonix AZ-[/b] Named after a mythical bird. I think AZ translates to arrid place I'm not sure. I [i]do[/i] know that Sierra Nevada translates to Saw of Snow so the State Nevada means Of Snow- Rather ironic huh?

Now for some places I don't know the origin of.

Bumfuc Egypt. I'm serious. It probably means something completely different in Egyption (Arabic?) But from an English POV it's funny.

Number Four New York. It's a small town in the Adirondack region of NEw York. I'm not sure why they named it Number Four.[/color]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=Sienna][QUOTE]Hooker OK- Named after a General Hooker, a Union officer in the Civil war[/QUOTE]I feel like I'm in history class again, but it's ironic how happy I am when I remember that I learned about this guy.

This said, around where I live there's a park called [B]Leslie Groves[/B], after Gen. Leslie Groves, who oversaw the Manhattan Project. The thing is that it's near the Hanford site, where they got the plutonium to bomb Nagasaki... It's kind of depressing, really.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]CHW, how could you forget Jamaica, NY? :p

Thinking about the state of New York; there's Bath, Homer, Mexico, Phoenix, Delhi, Ithaca, Governeur, Horseheads, Speculator, Deposit, Liberty, Avon, Geneva, Poland, Fair Haven, Marathon, Roxbury, Hancock, Maine, New Berlin and South New Berlin. :animesigh

Holy crap, that's a lot of weird names.

I think there's a Lake Pleasant somewhere around the Adirondacks.

[quote name='ChibiHorsewoman']Buffalo has some of the best suburbs though, Tonawanda, Cheektowaga, Depew, ect.[/quote] Too true. There's a post on the internet somewhere, I think Blogspot, that says that you know you're from Buffalo if you can pronounce any of those names. Hah...

And as for Chili, I always drive by that place on my way to Rochester. That just reminded me, isn't there a Churchville somewhere around there?

[QUOTE]Hooker OK- Named after a General Hooker, a Union officer in the Civil war[/QUOTE] Y'know, I thought my Biology teacher (the creepy one) had gone of the deep end for good when he was telling us that his middle name is Hooker because he's related to that guy somehow. Oh well, I still think he's crazy.[/FONT]

[QUOTE=Sinistra][FONT=Palatino Linotype]I think there's a Lake Pleasant somewhere around the Adirondacks.

And as for Chili, I always drive by that place on my way to Rochester. That just reminded me, isn't there a Churchville somewhere around there?
[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[color=darkviolet]I believe you mean Lake [i]PLACID[/i]. They have the I love NY Horseshow there..

Yes, Chili- Churchville? I have a friend who lives there.

As for New YOrk city and town names:

Wheatland (School districts include CHurchville Chili and Wheatland Chili), Scottsville, Pleasentville, Hopewell (technically where Finger Lakes Community College is located), Rush, Henrietta (Their school district is Rush HEnrietta) Holcomb, Bloomfield, West Bloomfield. Pittsford, Mendon, Plattsville, Yonkers, Calcium, (near Watertown) South Otselic (yet there is no [i]North[/i] Otselic, Oswego, Herkimer, Nunda (pronounced Nun day) Castille, Canaseraga, Mumford, Madina, Darien Center, Byron, Bergen, Letchworth, Angelica, Dundee, Dunkirk... The list goes on.

One of my mom's friends lives in Williamson- one of Buffalo's few pronouncable suburbs, and I can't say it correctly. But ask me how to say Canaseraga, Kueka or Tonawanda and I'm okay.

Oh, Hoosick Hill is the name of a cemetery in Spencerport NY (outside of Rochester). Hoo sick? Nobody ... it's a cemetery, they're all dead!!![/color]