OtakuBoards

Nintendo 64 still popular?

studio_ghibli

hey, i was thinking, do many people still play the nintendo 64? because it has some really good games! it might not be as good as playstations and x-box's but do many ppl still play it? we should get a vote to see if it is still played much? just thought id bring up the idea :D

[SIZE=1]I wouldn't say it's really 'popular' as such, but no doubt people still play it. It had plenty of classic games, so I don't see why people wouldn't want to revisit them. Heck, I even play my SNES from time to time, though to be fair that's only when my PS2 isn't available.

I myself had a bit of a craving for the N64 Zelda games a few months back, but the darn thing's up in a dusty corner of the attic and I don't like climbing up to get it on a creaking ladder, lol.
[I]
Darn my very slight fear of heights![/I][/SIZE]

I can't say that I was too fond of the N64 because I only had about maybe 5-6 games, but there's no doubt about it that I wanted to go back and play those Zelda games as well as Goldeneye, but unfortunately I'm missing cords, controllers and whatnot. So even if I wanted to play it. I'm SoL because I don't feel like spending any money on it at the moment.

[color=#4B0082]I still go back and play my N64 every now and then. But not as often anymore, since I now have the N64 Zeldas on the GCN (OoT/OMQ disc, Collector's Edition disc), Super Mario 64 DS, Mario Kart DS, and Super Smash Bros. Melee. Those largely replaced their N64 version counterparts, though Perfect Dark still sees some play time every now and then when I have friends over.

The same thing happened with my SNES. I rarely play it anymore because I've gotten GBA ports/remakes or sequels to most of the games I have for it. Super Metroid is about the only thing that draws me back, unless maybe I want to play Zelda: LttP on the TV screen instead of the small DS screen.[/color]

[color=#4B0082]In case people don't know, you can use the GameCube AV cables and RF switch with the N64 as well. So if you're just missing one of those, but you've got a GCN, you can swap the cables to play your N64.

Though if you're missing the AC adapter and/or controller, there's not much you can do about that besides order another from Nintendo's online store.[/color]

[QUOTE=KatanaViolet]I still love N64... c'mon now, Orcarina of Time and Goldeneye!!!! I've had N64 for years and it's still a classic console for me...

Although I am more into my PS2 and GBA as of late :animeswea ...[/QUOTE]

games like zelda and goldeneye are not the same on ps2 and xbox. i just started playing it again(suprise) and im actually going good! i do like alot of the ps2 games, but i just thought id give it a break!:)

I play my N64 when I need a blast from the past, heh. I like Golden eye, most of the new james bond games suck, but there are some that don't like night fire. Also, I play with friends when they come over some times, we laugh at the difference in graphics until our eyes start to hurt from how bad they are compared to nowadays.

[color=#4B0082]Meh. I really don't notice the difference in graphics for most of the games I have. Sure, if I'm paying attention, I can obviously tell there's a difference. But comparing Mario 64 to Mario Sunshine, for example--it all looks the same when concentrating as hard as I can on making that uber hard jump or whatever. Or Super Smash Bros. to SSBM; I'm not about to notice the graphical difference while fighting for my life in a four way brawl.

And I still love Mario's blocky nose in Mario 64. I was almost sad when it became more rounded in Mario 64 DS. I'm odd, I know.[/color]

I too recently bought an N64. I never had one before, just played it at friend's houses, so it was nice to get used to the feel of the controller again. The only thing I don't like is that SSB cost me almost $20 to buy on Ebay. I'm currently playing the hell out of it.

I also bought Pokemon Snap, but don't tell anyone.

Ever since the Gamecube came out with the Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition that contains all the original Zelda games (minus the ones on the GB of course) I have not touched my N'64 much. I play it from time to time when I feel like playing Perfect Dark, Mario 64 or Star Fox, but other than that it remains on my shelf and collects dust.

[quote name='ashwolf] I play it from time to time when I feel like playing [B]Perfect Dark,[/B'] Mario 64 or Star Fox, but other than that it remains on my shelf and collects dust.[/quote]

[B]Yes sir. Perfect Dark is the game to play! [Unless you have a better FPS][/B]

The N64 is kinda good. For some people who have advanced on forward [to the PS2,NGC,GBA,Xbox] they are great consols, but the old games are kinda better. There aren't any cheats. Or as much. I love the old games for that reason.

I acually brought out the PS1. Wow, what great games there are!

[FONT=Arial]Man, I wish I knew the diagnosis on my old N64. I got it for one of my birthdays (eight or nine, I don't remember) and I played it a lot over the years. It was always on the floor, though, so people were always stepping on it or something. Eventually, the reset button got stuck, and I don't think it will play anymore. I don't know, though, it's possible! I had a whole legion of games...both Legend of Zeldas, Star Fox, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Star Wars Ep. 1 Racer (that came with the Nintendo when I got it)...others, I'm sure, but I just can't remember. It's probably been at least a year or two since I've been able to play it.

But ack, if I can't get the system to work, I'll just sell all those games at Gamestop and get some credit. Mwahaha...[/FONT]

I actually don't play my N64 much these days, but I'm looking forward to playing some of the great N64 games I never got to experience when Revolution comes out. As long as they're not too expensive, I think that the N64-era will still be quite popular. :)

I'm curious. Is anyone here familiar with Jet Force Gemeni? My brother and I used to play it together a lot before we became addicted to Perfect Dark. I barely recall what the game was about other than a brother, a sister and their dog (and some robot named Lloyd) traveling from planet to planet blasting these giant ant aliens. I only know that the two of us really enjoyed playing it together.

My little sister liked playing Crusin' USA. The only fun I got out of that game wasn't racing but driving on the wrong side of the rode and hearing the people go "aaaah!" every time my car collided with another...but then along came Burnout...lol.

[font=Arial Narrow]My brother has his old N64 set up in his room. All he has is Zelda 64, but I still like to play it! ^_^ Especially with the 'Crooked Cartridge' trick. Now THAT is hard to do and even harder to play with...going through kid Link with only your nuts, sticks, slingshot, and bombs. Heh, what fun![/font]

[font=Arial Narrow][/font]
[font=Arial Narrow]If I get the chance, I want to play Star Fox 64 again. I ruled that game. Thats why I got used to using inverted controls. FS (Flight Simulators) will get you addicted to using inverted. Thats why when I play Halo: CE or Halo 2, I use inverted. Oh, and I have yet to beat Quest 64...[/font]:animecry:

Haha the N64 i remember the good old days...oh my dear sweet N64 with the goldeneye, classic zelda games, and possibly the funniest game in my taste Conker's Bad Fur Day. Yeah it's still hooked up in my room with the same tv that i had when i first bought it...Definitly a great system...

[CENTER][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]Oh gosh. When it comes to brand snobs...
I am such a Nintendo brand snob. I don't think I've ever played any other type of platform.

But...back on the 64.
I love it! My sister and I don't have many games for it, but we still play. Poke'mon Stadium, Poke'mon SNAP, Hey You Pikachu, and the all time greatest... Harvest Moon 64.
We are such girl gamers.

But yeah. I'm sure people still play Nintendo 64. I'm sure there is at least one lonely person pounding away on one of those oddly shaped controllers...

Is it just me or do they have the wierdest shape to them?[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[size=1][color=slategray]Are you kidding me? It's my favorite console in my entire house. (Which is surprising, since I have like, five game consoles... >> Most of them are old, though... you know, Sega Saturn. Whoo!)
I'm a total Zelda fanatic, so, of course I need my thirst quenched every so often. Oh, you know what's fun, too? Kirby. I could never get all of those damned crystals, never had the right power combos. My Mario games are high on my needs, too... you always need to see that portly Italian plumber with his super-cool moves. Go stubby limbs, go!
I love Pokemon Stadium, too. I mean, how can you not? XD

God, I'm getting hyper. LOOK WHAT YOU DID.[/color][/size]

• 2 weeks later...
i love my nintendo 64! i just think that consoles like ps2 and x-box just dont cut it. ...ah, well, i think the ninteno 64 has some classic games that arnt the same anyware else! :cool: but, also i think it is sad that some plces, most places, arnt stocking nintendo 64 games anymore. Because other consoles have come in, and the nintendo 64 doesnt bring in as much money, they dont need to stock or make the games! its unfair! :mad: :p