OtakuBoards

Hybrid Vigor [PG-LV]

James

[QUOTE=Sandy]
So my point is that as this is seemingly going to be a huge game spanning various threads, some less active people are going to lose track no matter what.

I'm glad to hear you'll give more freedom to the players within the chapters. What I [I]really[/I] hate about the system is the "go there, do that, then come back" -structure I've seen in many of the games that use it. Sounds limited, huh?

But enough of the ranting, I just wanted to get this out of my system. I know your game is going to rock (as I think Legionnaires does too), so I'm going to sign-up nevertheless. ;D[/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]The thing is, I don't think chapters equate to many threads for one RPG or anything. I have no plans to produce something on the scale of The Legionnaires.

The idea of chapters is to make the game [i]easier[/i] for you to follow, so that other players cannot step on your toes as they would in a traditional RPG.

But as I said, I'm going to attempt to create a more free-flowing system that combines the best of both worlds. It won't be easy, but I guess this RPG will be a big test for that kind of stuff. ^_^[/font]

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkOrange][QUOTE=James][font=franklin gothic medium]
But as I said, I'm going to attempt to create a more free-flowing system that combines the best of both worlds. It won't be easy, but I guess this RPG will be a big test for that kind of stuff. ^_^[/font][/QUOTE]

So we're being used as guinea pigs in the world of James' RP endeavors?

Squeak, I say. Squeak.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]You know, I was looking at that fabled 'The ReAnimatrix' post I have half-written and it shares a lot in common with the basic idea of this RPG. Of course, I know next to nothing about the RPG really, so it's pretty assenine for me to say something like that.

I have a twist in mind for my character that should be fun, I just hope to make it into the RPG to actually use it.

Speaking of which, what exactly are our characters going to be doing throughout this little endeavor? I imagine a lot of the story will be delving into the history and secrets of Paris 2, but is there a more immediate focus to the plot? Will our characters be forced to take up arms? Are we looking towards something action oriented, or much more cerebral? Will we be soldiers or mercenaries or civillians, or what? I must know.

-Shy[/size]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Well, all I can really say - partially because I am yet to see how other players will influence the plot - is that the role of the characters in the story will change dramatically as the RPG progresses.

I would like this RPG to have a stronger focus on the cerebral edge, but there will certainly be plenty of action. However, it won't be an RPG full of fights and action without anything else - I definitely want to give each element its own time.

My intention is also to have a diverse range of characters. I want participants to think carefully about what their characters' jobs and backgrounds were, before they awoke in Paris 2. I want that history to influence their personalities and the way they look at their situation.

I can say one thing for sure. At the beginning, all players will be guests of West France. But an incident early in the story will change that pretty quickly.[/font]

[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium']I can say one thing for sure. At the beginning, all players will be guests of West France. But an incident early in the story will change that pretty quickly.[/font][/quote]
[size=1]I'll wager an outbreak of the [I]Second Faction[/I] within West France, leading to a xenophobic expulsion of us?

In any event, I'm sad that you let the United States of America fall. Could you at least let Great Britain stay afloat? I rather like them...

I can't wait to post my sign-up for this. And about how many people are you thinking of letting in?[/size]

[QUOTE=Retribution][size=1]I'll wager an outbreak of the [I]Second Faction[/I] within West France, leading to a xenophobic expulsion of us?

In any event, I'm sad that you let the United States of America fall. Could you at least let Great Britain stay afloat? I rather like them...

I can't wait to post my sign-up for this. And about how many people are you thinking of letting in?[/size][/QUOTE][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Or the realization that we are really weapons of war created by the government? That our very own memories are implanted? Hehe, the possibilities of what James has in mind are endless! ^_^

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm busy with my final assignments before my exams I'd be impatient for this to start! ^_~
[/COLOR]

[size=1]Hmm....well, nothing's really brought me back to the [b]OB[/b] since I sort of slipped away. However, I must say that this has caught my eye and I'm inclined to meander my way back. If all goes well, I might just drop my sign-up sheet. It would be nice to get back into writing with the OB's best.

The concept is very different from what we've all seen mosey into the Adventure Inn. Refreshing, mos def. Revitalizing, I'm pretty sure.[/size]

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

It occurs to me that I repeat my trademark phrase so frequently that it may actually lose it sense of what is interesting, however in this case it is definitely warranted. I must admit although an Oldie this RP goes back even before my time as I recall or at least I don't recall it appearing in the Arena. However regardless of how old the concept is, James I must say I am quite entranced by the story behind it and will definitely sign up when you deem fit to release it in the Inn.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Considering the fact that I haven't seen any RPs recently that I've wanted to sign up for (save for Blayze's Stranded, but I missed the boat for that one...excuse the pun) this is quite interesting. Most interesting? Yes.

Although I'm a little intimidated by the amount of really good writers who are going to be signing up for this, I might as well give it a shot.

As a side note: Annie, it's great to see you back.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Well, what with OB:Survivor ending in a few short days, I shall need a new RP on which to focus my attention. This sounds like a wonderful idea, despite it being a rehash of an old one. Its very dystopian but not in a clichéd way. Plus with James behind the wheel what could go wrong. I do hope I get a chance to participate ^_^.

P.S Where'd the theme come from? It sounds like Annie Lennox, very eerie. [/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...
[font=franklin gothic medium]Okay, sorry for the absence lately. I'm going to post sign-ups within the next few days, so I hope that everyone has considered what kind of characters you might want to make.

The sign-up thread will contain more information about how the new chapter system will work and how the RPG will begin. If you have any questions, again, you can use this thread to post 'em. Thanks for the encouragement, everyone![/font]

• 2 weeks later...
First of all, I absolutely love this RPGs concept. It doesn't seem like it will end up being one with weak concept and story development completely stagnant because characters keep wandering off to do unrelated jobs or refuse to let a confrontation come to an end... but I digress.

My main question is how will the action and plot unravel. Will the action be all kind of adventure style where you use your wits to get out of a confrontation or fight style where you just make up moves until its over? And more importantly, will the mystery elements be revealed by themselves in a manner that leaves us suspensful waiting for them to be revealed or will they be the type where we must figure them out using our own problem solving skills?

Once more, this RPG looks amazing.

[font=franklin gothic medium]Yeah, by having opt-in chapters we'll still have a cohesive main story...but the players can choose when they want to be involved in it for the most part.

Anyway, your question is something that I can't really answer until the RPG begins. Sometimes there will be intense moments of action and conflict...and at other times the RPG will have a much stronger emphasis on the cerebral aspect.

One thing I really want to do, more than anything else, is allow characters to develop deep relationships in this RPG. I really want to explore characters' pasts and their current relationships as well - in addition to learning about the history of West France and the world beyond.

Paying strong attention to my posts in the RPG, as well as the posts of others, is ultimately going to be the key to pushing the thing forward though. But as I've said, revelations and artifacts will be conveniently listed for those who might miss subtle clues in the posts themselves.[/font]

[QUOTE=Retribution][size=1]Does our character history have to end with us becoming incapacitated? Do we need to include any information at all on this great exodus to West France?

Thanks.[/size][/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Nope and nope. :catgirl: [/font]

[QUOTE=Retribution][size=1]Does our character history have to end with us becoming incapacitated? Do we need to include any information at all on this great exodus to West France?

Thanks.[/size][/QUOTE][quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium']You were part of a mass exoddus that you can not remember, during a Second Great War that you were oblivious to.[/font][/quote][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]I assumed that since we cannot remember it that it would make sense that our sign up did not include any information on it. ^_^ I'm excited for this to start. Even if I don't get chosen I'm looking forward to reading it. I was kind of sad when Survivor ended.
[/COLOR]

I just posted my sign-up, but it left me wondering exactly how "super" can our characters' abilities be? My character's skills at this point are not quite superhero material, but he has some pretty uncommon traits...

I also made an interesting notification from the sign ups: almost all of the characters are either 21, 24 or 26 years old. So I made mine 23. :P

[SIZE=1]I quite like your powers Sandy, they're pretty original, amongst all this heightened agility and powerful senses. Though I suppose there are a limited amount of extraordinary animals around ^_~

How much influence will our characters background have on the story do you think? [/SIZE]

[quote name='Sandy']I just posted my sign-up, but it left me wondering exactly how "super" can our characters' abilities be? [/quote]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I suppose it's just a question of keeping them "within reason". So...no laser beams or anything like that, lol. And nothing that would make the character invincible or something.

As long as the abilities are based on animal abilties and as long as they are reasonable, they should be fine. Yours were good, I was happy with what you'd put there.

In regard to backgrounds and how much influence they have...that'll be for me to decide. Not every character will be able to have major revelations all the time. But that's partly just because if everyone was always influencing the plot all the time, the story would be too unfocused and complex.

However, depending on what is written, I can guarantee that players will be able to influence the story in very significant ways - perhaps even to the point of deciding how it ends and how the direction changes.[/font]

[SIZE=1]First off, great RPG idea James. I knew a while ago we had a conversation about you making a new RPG. I'm so excited that you decided to follow through with it! Yay James!

Ok now lets get down to business:

My question is kind of simple, how long have our characters been in the coma status? I want to edit my sign up so it's almost flawless, so I can get in. lol

Well that's my question. Thanks in advance.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Grace][SIZE=1]

My question is kind of simple, how long have our characters been in the coma status? I want to edit my sign up so it's almost flawless, so I can get in. lol

[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Your character's life took place in the early 21st century.

But don't worry about that. The amount of time the character has been in a coma doesn't matter to players right now - none of them will have known how long they were in a coma until they wake up anyway.

As for sign-ups, I imagine they'll be open a few more days. I wanted to give players plenty of time to think about their characters. And there are still a few more people who I'd like to see sign-up.[/font]

[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium']Your character's life took place in the early 20th century...and if you read the first post in this thread, you'll actually see what century the story takes place in. I think I listed it as the twenty-third century or something...[/font][/quote]

What?! You mean like 1900-1930? Gah, why didn't you say so! I put my character to live in a near future, with the Neoculturals and all! I was thinking about adding them to my character's story, but if he's been in coma for many hundred years, no such terrorists exist anymore... I should've paid closer attention, that's all. :/

I guess I'll just erase them from my character's biography, then. I'll surely be able to add my character to other plot twists. ;D

EDIT: Didn't erase the cultural terrorists, just changed the wording a bit so they don't sound too important. I also had to get rid of the bleached highlights because they didn't fit the era. XP

[SIZE=1]Early 20th century? not the 21st?

That wasn't really mentioned in the Underground thread, I mean the only hint is when you mention 'The Second great War' does that mean world war 2 never happened? Is this instead of world war 2?[/SIZE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Sorry, that was a typo.

All characters come from the present day - from the late 20th century/early 21st century. I feel certain I've mentioned that somewhere here. If not, I'm sorry about that.

The main relevant point is when the coma ends - but that's something which doesn't actually matter to any players at this stage. Since you are "just waking up" in the future, your character will have no presumed knowledge of it - you will learn as you go along. That way a new world can be created, which players can shape and influence (this also provides room for players to influence history and so on).

So yeah, all of the information you need is provided either here or in the sign-up thread. If something isn't there, then it's probably not relevant at this point in time.[/font]