OtakuBoards

Hybrid Vigor [PG-LV]

James

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[font=franklin gothic medium]Okay, the RPG has commenced. Let me take a moment to explain what I'm going to be doing here.

This first segment of the RPG is really more of a prologue, to introduce characters. All participants will wake up in their own room and they will all attend the ball. This is really the only requirement and it allows characters to meet each other initially.

After that, I will begin the first chapter on my own - those who want to join in with the chapter may so do, those who do not may go their own way. That will be the time where players can first move off the beaten track, so to speak.

I do have a little bad news though. I am not really ready to launch a second thread for this RPG and since we have so many players, it may become confusing to have so many begin right now. So I'm going to divide players into two groups: Active and Reserve.

Active players will begin the RPG now in the main thread. Reserve players might be used in a variety of ways - either they will enter the RPG at a later stage (to replace any characters who do not remain active), or they will be used in a secondary thread. I want to try and get the main thread rolling a bit first before I introduce anything else, so that's why I'm being a little more cautious.

Originally I was going to have a posting order in this RPG but I think I may avoid that for now. If things get too confusing, I will bring in a posting order. But for now, you may post whenever you want.

Once again, I will use this thread to keep players updated on the status of the RPG, including the bigger plot developments.

Finally, here is a list of Active players:

Lady Katana
Doukeshi
indifference
The Boss
Ikillion
Aaryanna
Retribution
Sandy
Gavin
Ecstasy
Starwind
Grace
Pumpkin
Sakura

If you are not in this list, you are a Reserve player. Please watch this space for any developments related to Reserve players.[/font]

Being the busy-pants I am, I have to ask when I'm allowed to post the second time? After every active player has introduced their character (which could take a loooooong while), or when the ball starts (when does it actually start?), or whenever I like?

I've only posted once in his role, and I'm loving my character already! <3 Bellerophon is [I]so[/I] my dream guy!

[font=franklin gothic medium]Well, you can post whenever you like. My next post will mark the end of the ball and the commencement of the first chapter. So you can post about the ball itself if you like, that'd be totally fine. ^_^

Once the first chapter commences, characters can go whichever way they want.[/font]

Oh, good. I was beginning to wonder on how many "My name is Anne" posts I had to read through before I get to post next... XP It was actually quite interesting to see how different people managed to make a similar scene so different.

So off to the ball, we are? I assume you will post the Supreme Chancellor's speech at the ball (if there's going to be one), because I for one don't have any idea what she would say to our characters...

[QUOTE=Sandy]Oh, good. I was beginning to wonder on how many "My name is Anne" posts I had to read through before I get to post next... XP It was actually quite interesting to see how different people managed to make a similar scene so different.

So off to the ball, we are? I assume you will post the Supreme Chancellor's speech at the ball (if there's going to be one), because I for one don't have any idea what she would say to our characters...[/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]The ball will probably go for a while before you hear anything from him - afterall, characters will need time to get to know each other. ~_^

So please do not worry about that. I encourage you to use your imagination and inject your ideas into this. You will see how it all progresses with my next post and the commencement of Chapter One.[/font]

[SIZE=1]I know that this might have been made apparent somewhere in either the sign up, arena or underground threads but I just have to ask; Is the Supreme Chancellor a man or a woman? The name is Dominiqué sure but that is a unisex name and I don't know if you;ve actually specified anwhere the chancellors gender?

Enlightenment s'il vous plait. ^_^[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=James][font=franklin gothic medium]The ball will probably go for a while before you hear anything from [b]him[/b]....
[/font][/QUOTE]
[color=navy][size=1]

I suppose that answers that question.

Heh. If not one else does, I suppose I'll give the first description of the Ballroom.[/color][/size]

[SIZE=1]Sorry, I bet you realized I haven't posted my piece yet. Mine should be up soon, I got swept away by school and work for a bit. Don't want to hold the storyline back and hope I'm not TOO late. I'm very much looking forward to the next chapter as well. [/SIZE]

Oh... I always thought Dominique was a female name. Well, I guess it's a neutral name, then.

[B]A request:[/B] could you post the list of characters and who's active to the first post of this thread, James? It would make things so much clearer, at least for me. I think Shy's system of listing players in the Legionnaires Underground thread is great and fitting for this game too.

[color=navy][size=1]

A question.

Is there any limit to when or where we can use our Hybrid abilities?

Will our characters be aware of their powers or will it come as a suprise?

I don't plan on over using them or even really using them at all for a while, but I'm thinking it'd be interesting to incorparate the abilities into the way my character describes and see's his surroundings.

[/color][/size]

[font=franklin gothic medium]In terms of hybrid abilities, that's up to you. Your character can be aware that they're a hybrid or not - perhaps some characters will struggle with that issue.

You may use your powers whenever you like and as much as you like, but please keep it within reason. Obviously it will have to relate to the context of the story.

Thanks for all your posts so far, guys. I will be including a posting order and beginning the first chapter shortly. Please feel free to have your characters mix and meet each other during the ball, if you like.[/font]

[font=franklin gothic medium]It'll just include the current ones, yeah. Reserve players will be either included in the main story if active players drop out...or they will be incorporated into a secondary thread. It's not quite time for the latter yet though.[/font]

[size=1]I'm very sorry James, but the entire ball thing is ridiculous considering our circumstances.

We're under great stress (even if RPers aren't showing that well). We just woke up in a completely different country. We have just learned that our nations have been overrun by the Second Facton, and that our friends and family are probably all dead.

And you expect us to dance and mingle? I'm sorry, but it's nigh impossible to expect any character to deal with that in such a nonchalant manner. This is also why I've only posted twice -- I thought that flirting, dancing, and socializing really weren't appropriate responses for [i]anyone[/i] considering the catastrophic shock we were just given.

I'll be back in the action once you decide to reveal the Supreme Chancellor.[/size]

Don't take it too realistically, Retri!

My character for one is in a dreamlike condition at this moment, not fully understanding the vastity of the events or the strangeness of all that has happened.

Besides, if this was a realistic situation, none of our characters could even move after being in a coma for a few hundred years. ;P

Just go with the flow, let the story indulge you!

[QUOTE=Sandy]Don't take it too realistically, Retri!

My character for one is in a dreamlike condition at this moment, not fully understanding the vastity of the events or the strangeness of all that has happened.

Besides, if this was a realistic situation, none of our characters could even move after being in a coma for a few hundred years. ;P

Just go with the flow, let the story indulge you![/QUOTE]
[size=1]We were in a coma for a decade tops, if I'm not mistaken. I was under the assumption that the events outlined in the Letter occured only a few years after we went into the coma. I was also assuming that we knew of the Second Faction and the threat it posed prior to going into the coma... which is an assumption my character is built off of; having a child after thinking the Second Faction wouldn'ttake over Britain.

I also think that this is comparable to when Neo awakens from The Matrix and found out he had been living an illusion. His body clamped up, he vomited, and passed out again. The transition was by no means a painless one.[/size]

[COLOR=SeaGreen][quote name='Retribution][size=1']I also think that this is comparable to when Neo awakens from The Matrix and found out he had been living an illusion. His body clamped up, he vomited, and passed out again. The transition was by no means a painless one.[/size][/quote]I don?t know if it?s quite the same, after all our characters previous lives, as far as we know was not an illusion. So on some level it would make sense that for most of us it would seem unreal. I mean most people who have been in a coma don?t wake up able to move well and then attend a ball in less than an hour of waking up.

I would imagine that they would wake up in a hospital of some sort and would be told by a doctor or another professional what had happened. I think the very circumstance of what?s going on lends itself to the surreal surroundings that the characters are finding themselves in.

I was trying to write mine on the basis that although she?s acting like she believes it, part of her deep down is still in denial and doesn?t really believe what?s happening. [/COLOR]

[size=1]True, the analogy is not perfect, but the same unbelieveablity (if that's a word) of it all is almost the same. He certainly didn't just say "Oh, that's nice, but it's probably just a dream" and go along with things. He went into denial, became withdrawn, etc.

I'm not really trying to argue with RPers at all -- it's their call how their characters will deal with the given situation. I'm more frustrated with the expectations James handed our characters. He basically said "You've just gotten up from a coma and you realize your family, friends, and past life are all gone. Let's dance!" and it's just unfair to expect us to do so. Sure, you didn't [i]force[/i] us to dance, but the expectation is there, whether you acknowledge it or not, and the expectation is ... ludicrous?

I guess it's not too huge a deal, but I guess I thought that an RPG of Kill Adam calibur would begin ... differently. Please pardon me.[/size]

[COLOR=Sienna]I admit, on some level I agree with you Retribution. It does seem a bit far-fetched that everyone would be handling a tremendous shock such as being in a coma, losing everyone and yet still be calm enough to attend a ball shortly after waking up. I even toyed with the idea of my character refusing to leave his room until someone explained just what the hell was going on.

I decided on having him come based on the fact that he is now a hybrid and animals and insects do not have the same emotional and social structure that humans do. An aspect of the hybrid side helping him to adapt much quicker than a normal human would to a similar stressful situation. A least that?s what I was thinking. [/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Retribution][size=1]
I guess it's not too huge a deal, but I guess I thought that an RPG of Kill Adam calibur would begin ... differently. Please pardon me.[/size][/QUOTE]

I know it maybe not what you were referring to, but I don't believe James ever meant this game to be like Kill Adam in [I]any[/I] way. This is not a game of harsh realism built from scenes of gore and lust. This is more like a journey to a fantastic dimension where everything looks similar to our world from the top, but inside they really aren't.

I personally won't even try to go into huge scientific explanations on how my character was transformed and why he is in the place he is now. I'd imagine if I'd be in a similar situation, I wouldn't go into a rampage of denial (although I believe many people would), I'd observe the situation and see where it would lead me.

The ball scenery reminds me much of Eyes Wide Shut, which also had some unexplainable elements in it (although it wasn't a sci-fi movie to the least). In that movie Tom Cruise's character just entered the ball without much hesitation and just went along.

[font=franklin gothic medium]Retri, the problem is that you are taking things too literally. The ball is [i]supposed[/i] to be a jarring experience.

You're absolutely right - people don't just wake up from a long coma, read a letter and attend a ball. [i]That's the point[/i]. The idea is that on the surface you're seeing a beautiful ball, but underneath there's something incredibly subversive and unnerving going on. It's supposed to be somewhat surreal and unexpected.

Characters do not have to mingle and be nice to each other as if nothing happened - I would expect each character to have a very different attitude. Some might be frightened, others might be complacent...and others might be in denial. You know?

I hope that all makes sense.[/font]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Quick question, James:

As you can tell, I havn't posted yet...where should I start? At the ball, or in my room, or should I wait until after you start the first chapter?

Also, I'm having trouble finding internet right now, seeing as I'm in the process of moving, so don't expect to see me around all that often...and my former username is Ecstasy, f.y.i.

~Random[/COLOR][/SIZE]