OtakuBoards

Life without anime - challenge to anime addicts

Guest Snouman88

Guest Snouman88
Are you an anime addict? Have you ever tried to live few weeks without watching anime?

Well I am a huge anime addict and I tried to live few weeks without watching anime at all. The few first days were ok. After a week I found it wery temptating to watch an anime episode. Somehow I managed to keep my fingers out of keyboard by doing something else. But as the time passed I got a grater desire to watch anime. Finally after 2 weeks I was free to do whatever I wanted - to watch anime.

If you are an anime addict, I challenge you to live few weeks witout anime. You will have much more freetime and you can do "different" things. Tell about your experiences.

[COLOR=Blue]When I went to Turkey to visit my family for 2 months last year, my mum forbid me to watch any anime or cartoons. I thought, well, it doesn't matter, since they probably wouldn't have any on tv. Boy, was I wrong. They had Fox Kids in Turkish!!! I really wanted to watch, but my mum said no. Then my grandma said that I could. So I did watch. About a week after I found Fox Kids.
It was actually very interesting to watch Pokemon, Sailor Moon and even Spider-Man in Turkish.
But until I was allowed to watch them, I thought I was going to die. Living about 2 weeks without any anime, or even cartoons, was the hardest thing I had ever done, and I don't want to do it ever again!!!!! EVER!!!!![/COLOR]

[quote name='Snouman88']If you are an anime addict, I challenge you to live few weeks witout anime. You will have much more freetime and you can do "different" things. Tell about your experiences.[/quote][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]That?s actually a fairly easy challenge for me. ^_~ As much as I like anime I enjoy reading a lot more. I?m not referring to manga but to regular sci-fi, fiction, fantasy and a fair amount of other topics depending on what catches my interest.

Right now I?m currently reading the third book in The Oathbound Wizard series by Christopher Stasheff. And when I finish with the third book there are five more after it that I intend to read.

As much as I like anime I?ve even forgotten to watch the newest episodes on weekends because I was too caught up in my current book. I end up seeing it eventually. In either a re-run or on DVD when it is finally released.

[/COLOR]

Well I go on huge 4 or 5 month stints of not watching anime. Even the thought of it meakes me drowzy. Then sometimes I fell like watching it nonstop. So not watching it for(insert time here) would not be a big deal to me. I guess people just are more into it than me(But I still own more boxsets than u :catgirl: )

[color=#FF3366][SIZE=1][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]
I find that very funny you propose that challenge. I myself got that same exact challange from a friend. It was about 1 month and 2 weeks. Well it was supposed to be 1 month only but they caught me cheating and increased it -.-

For a whole month I had my signature 'In Anime Hiatus' then explained how much I hated my friends. I couldn't even glance on anime so I had to make so called 'normal' avatars and banners. I was extremely angry.

The funny thing is that during that time mangas that I truly wanted to read came out. It urged me to go to Barnes & Nobles and buy them. The worst part is that I go pass Barnes & Noble when I'm coming home from school. So I found myself wondering around that part for a few minutes wondering 'Are they going to catch me? Can they catch me?' and yes they did.

That month and and 2 weeks was torture. As much as I love anime I love manga more. All that manga waiting to be read calling my name, it killed me. I tried to get myself busy by playing sports. That?s when I learned how handball can give you muscles ^_^

On the side note I cheated 17 times.[/FONT][/SIZE][/Color]

Anime is up there in interests with other things such as RPGs, sports, wrestling, etc etc. So i can if i have to, but as long as i keep getting box sets and theres nothing better on TV, i'll be watching animes. Still a lot of anime series i have yet to get into that i want to, so i won't be quitting anytime soon.

Sorry I couldnt possible do that.
Its hard enough to watch enough anime here is Germany (note to thoughs who havent been to germany/ living there not visiting/ germans dont like anime....ok mabe one or 2 but thats it.
I have to order ALL of mine of the internet. :animecry:

[COLOR=Sienna]For the most part I?m definitely addicted to anime. I usually watch some every single day. Even if it?s just pulling out shows I?ve already seen and re-watching them.

I would rather not take the challenge, but I have on occasion put away all my anime during finals. It?s just too easy to keep watching when I really need to be studying. So every couple of months I end up living a couple of weeks with out any anime.[/COLOR]

Hmm... I mainly just watch anime on Saturdays (for adult swim) and every night while I'm going to sleep. (Seeing that they don't put nothing good on television at night anymore.) So, I guess you can say I'm partially addicted, but then again, I know when to hold back and such.

Other than that, I'm mainly doing other things ranging from fixing up my car to playing some game. Your challenge wouldn't do much for me, but sadly there is just nothing much to do around my house but to be bored.

[size=1]As much as I like anime and manga, I'm not obsessed to the point where I can't live without it. I use anime as a way to get my time passing when I don't have any homework or nothing to do during a day without plans.

I, too, enjoy reading more. Or drawing, or writing. Sometimes after I buy some series, it takes me a while to finish it, anyways.

=][/size]

[COLOR=DarkRed]I went 3 weeks without watching any anime...and I'm a big anime addict but I read it more then watch because I don't get cartoon netwrok..T.T I do get fox kids though but they took alot of the good shows off of it.. Anyways, I didn't find that hard but if it was not reading them....* shudders* I've down that...almost didn't make it. So I just wrote about anime..^.^ unless having Fanfics are cheating?<.<[/COLOR]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]I?ve had plenty of times where I simply didn?t have time for anime. Mostly when I was on the road working as a truck driver, I would take stuff to watch on my laptop, but sometimes I would end up on the road a lot longer I had planned and as a result I would have several weeks where I didn?t watch any anime since I had nothing I wanted to re-watch.

I may like anime a lot, but I have lots of other interests. If I found myself unable to watch anime for several weeks, well I would simply take up my other hobbies. I love to read, work on scrapbooks, go hiking, work on sewing projects and spend time with my friends. So not watching anime for a few weeks wouldn't be a challenge. In fact it would be rather easy. [/COLOR]

I can stop watching anime whenever I feel like it. Addiction is terrible and my life certainly does not revolve around anime.It is a good challange for those addicted but I dont see how anime is harmful. Like quiting smoking is a good addiction to give up. To much anime really isnt that bad for yourself.

I'll be the first one to admit that going without anime for a indefinate period of time is a rough challenge for me. When i went through Basic Training & AIT in the army for 14 weeks, it was pretty rough mainly because we had no priveleges whatsoever (no TV, internet, music, magazines, books, Nothing!! for 14 weeks) but once you get a few weeks into it, so much is going on that you tend to forget about everything.

But nowadays i watch anime like theres no tomorrow, if i go for a few days without it something just feels out-of-whack, i guess mainly because this part of korea is so boring and theres not much else for me to do anyway after work, but i feel no shame in admitting that im an anime addict. And the cool thing about the army is that no matter where im stationed, i always find a few people who are anime addicts likes me and i can always go hang out in their room and watch anime.

[COLOR=Orange][SIZE=2] I hate going without anime. It isn't really that hard but when you go somewhere for a week and expect to watch all the shows you meant to record when you get back, it isn't that great anymore when the timing is off :animeswea ...he he... I was sorely depressed, but I was lucky 'cause soon after that reruns came on for some of the shows I missed.
But this summer is going to make me even more sad, when you go on a two week trip and you know you are going to miss shows you really want to watch, it is kind of a bummed-out trip. But I should survive. Especially if I catch up on some drawing I haven't done in forever.*except for in math class :rolleyes: *[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Guest Rukia-san
I could never do that!

As it is I go crazy If I can't watch anime for a week (because of other stuff I need to do)
and I get manga as often as I can!!

That would be so hard....

well when im away from anime im usually really bored. Like when I go to my cottage I sit out on the deck starring blankly off into the distance. Yeah but I usually make sure I got something with me to keep me entertained im not that much of an addict. :animeswea

[size=1][color=slategray]Even though anime takes up a huge chunk of my interests, I only really watch it on Saturday nights... mainly only Naruto and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Unless I watch one of my DVDs or such. Now, if I had the Anime Network, I'm sure I'd be watching more than that. I could live without anime for awhile, it's no huge sacrifice to me, I suppose. But it'd be pointless for me, since I'm no addict. XP I think I'm more addicted to manga than anime, actually. *pets her manga collection*[/color][/size]

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=#333333][SIZE=2]Like SunfallE, I too have other hobbies such as dance and reading. I have tons of books ranging from science fiction to fantasy to historical and read them occasionally when I have time, and have also began to get interested in WOW again so that takes up some time if I'm not at work or school.

Lately though, I've begun to gain interest into Anime but I always have trouble scouting out the ones that I like. Even though I try and look them up online, I somehow manage to watch the morbid depressing ones that always get to me. Can anyone recommend some good ones to me? I'm currently waiting to see the new Peach Girl anime which should be pretty cool considering I've read a lot of the manga. Anime doesn't exactly "rule my life" anymore, actually I would have to say money does for now.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

heh, it's not so hard. I love anime as much as the next person on here, but I can do without, if just because I have many other hobbies and fandoms. In fact, I have a distrubing backlog of anime and manga because I never have time to read or watch it.