OtakuBoards

Internet acronym definitions - lol

Guest Snouman88

Guest Snouman88
Urbandictionary has many analyzes and explanements of acronyms used in internet.
[url]http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lol[/url]

The following text is definition of "lol"

It's original definition was "Laughing out loud" (also written occasionally as "Lots of Laughs"), used as a brief acronym to denote great amusement in chat conversations.

Now, it is overused to the point where nobody laughs out loud when they say it. In fact, they probably don't even give a **** about what you just wrote. More accurately, the acronym "lol" should be redefined as "Lack of laughter."

Depending on the chatter, its definition may vary. The list of its meanings includes, but is not limited to:
1) "I have nothing worthwhile to contribute to this conversation."
2) "I'm too lazy to read what you just wrote so I'm typing something useless in hopes that you'll think I'm still paying attention."
3) "Your statement lacks even the vaguest trace of humor but I'll pretend I'm amused."
4) "This is a pointless acronym I'm sticking in my sentence just because it's become so engraved into my mind that when chatting, I MUST use the meaningless sentence-filler 'lol.'"

See: lmao, lmfao, rofl, lawl, heh, haha, lolol, and 120 for similarities.

Statement: Sorry if I'm not too cheery, my best friend just died yesterday.
Worthless Reply: lol

Statement: The golden ratio is truely an intersting aspect of not only mathematics, but art as well.

Statement: ... And then he says, "Your mom goes to college!"

Statement: Hey, are you doing anything tonight? You could come over to my house and play some Unreal Tournie...
Worthless Reply: lol, ok

It's a good thing OB has the quality measures it does, because you should know what everyone reading this thread wants to reply with. XD

Anyway, you seem unnaturally condescending on "lol". Its definition, you're right, doesn't really mean "laughing out loud" anymore, but that's not because it's become diluted. It's just morphed into something else. That's what language does, even on the internet. And it's not a useless phrase anymore being applied only in situations of indifference. I use "lol" on a very frequent basis, and only in situations that I feel need it. It hasn't really come to mean a sort of spiteful lack of concern as much as just a more mild amusement.

[COLOR=#656446]My ultra-favorite Internet acronym is "wtf?", followed closely by "o rly?" and "ya rly!" With those three alone (plus a few winks and lone punctuation marks), one is able to sustain a conversation for a good few minutes with little effort. "stfu" works quite nicely on a lot of people I've talked to, especially when typed in ALL CAPS.

On a side note, this thread=LOL[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]^OMGWTFBBQ!

I really don't know what the last part of that acronym is suppose to be now that I think of it. However most of the time when I am on the internet I don't tend to use that many acronym's mostly faces like "o.o" or "xD" but most of the time I will use WTF..or its inverse FTW...because it sounds cool.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Ikillion][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]^OMGWTFBBQ!

I really don't know what the last part of that acronym is suppose to be now that I think of it. However most of the time when I am on the internet I don't tend to use that many acronym's mostly faces like "o.o" or "xD" but most of the time I will use WTF..or its inverse FTW...because it sounds cool.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida handwriting]You were saying Oh My God! What the *bleep* Barbeque

I use a lot of acronymns when I'm using AIM or YIM along with shortening through, though and a multitude of others . It's hard to try and ween myself away from a lot of it when I'm replying to threads on here (since it's frowned upon thank God) and when I'm writing.

I like doing the whole BRB BBL and TTYL especially when it's a state of emergency (Ie grocery shopping, my daughter woke up or a friend who logs off real fast)

But I hate all the strange ones I have no idea about like kk? What the heck does that mean?

In conclusion I have to agree with a lot of experts. Instant messaging has ruined our lives[/color][/font]

Internet acronyms are literally tearing the english language apart. People can't spell any more because they are so used to typing things like "u" for "you", and "dnt" for "don't". I try to avoid using them and spell things properly (although I still make errors, but they are unintentional). I normally reserve internet acronyms for when I'm being sarcastic or on rare occations in actual conversations.

[quote name='SkyBlu']Internet acronyms are literally tearing the english language apart. People can't spell any more because they are so used to typing things like "u" for "you", and "dnt" for "don't". I try to avoid using them and spell things properly (although I still make errors, but they are unintentional). I normally reserve internet acronyms for when I'm being sarcastic or on rare occations in actual conversations.[/quote] Haha, that's a silly idea. Just b/c typing like tht is easier dsn't mea--o noez its takin over my mind omgomg save urselfs

ki11... m3333........

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

I'll admit when I'm involved in IM conversations I have a tendency to use "Heh" when I find something funny, but really how does one accurately portray the sound of laughter over a silent medium ? I don't really mind most abridged versions of phrases, like "lol" for instance, but it's hacker 1337 that truly infuriates me due to the fact people are just too lazy or intellectually devoid to write properly.[/SIZE]

[FONT=Arial]I spice up "lol" whenever I use it. In replacement of the useless letters, I add some flavor to the otherwise meaningless characters and let the other person know that what they just typed was funny. There's a whole family of new "lol" phrases. For example, a mild humor is "[B]lolz[/B]," whereas a gutbustingly hilarious quote gets a "[B]lolzasaurus rexington[/B]." In between there lies "[B]lolzasaurus[/B]" and "[B]lolzasaurus rex[/B]." Sometimes I don't use the reptilian version, though. Sometimes I use the "Roller" set. "[B]Lollerskates[/B]," "[B]Lollercoaster[/B]," and so on. Maybe it will be "rofl," but used as "[B]rofflecoaster[/B]," "[B]rofflecopter[/B]," or just plain "[B]roffle[/B]." Finally, as an in-joke between some of my friends and I, there's "[B]lolzasausage[/B]."

If I'm laughing to hard to coherently type any of the aforementioned alternatives, I'll do a "[B]LOLZFHISDHFS[/B]!!" or some other variation of randomly typed capital letters. But of course, I'll always type the onomatopoiea of laughter - "[B]Hahah[/B]!" - if I feel suited to. I can do any of these spontaneously, and they don't really fit to a certain genre of conversation.

Add some flavor to your IMs with the [B]Lolboosters?[/B] today!

I use any of those in real life at any given time, too. I don't think it's possible for anyone to speak them in place of laughing, though.[/FONT]

[size=1]In dutch 'lol' is an actual word, meaning "fun". Thought I'd mention that, just because <<'

The word I use most is probably "Omgz0rps". Mostly followed up by "Gigglez0rs". Guild Wars however has made my vocabulary a bit bigger by adding "OMGWTFBBQ" to it. I'm so happy that I know that now. *nod*[/size]

What really bugs me is crap like "U" and "R" replacing their words. I'll let it pass with text messaging on a phone or something because that takes forever to type, but on a computer there is no friggin excuse! I agree with CHW that BRB and BBL are useful 'cause if your in an emergency, it's an easy way to say you need to leave without being rude and just leaving them hangin.

[QUOTE=Amelia][FONT=Arial]I spice up "lol" whenever I use it. In replacement of the useless letters, I add some flavor to the otherwise meaningless characters and let the other person know that what they just typed was funny. There's a whole family of new "lol" phrases. For example, a mild humor is "[B]lolz[/B]," whereas a gutbustingly hilarious quote gets a "[B]lolzasaurus rexington[/B]." In between there lies "[B]lolzasaurus[/B]" and "[B]lolzasaurus rex[/B]." Sometimes I don't use the reptilian version, though. Sometimes I use the "Roller" set. "[B]Lollerskates[/B]," "[B]Lollercoaster[/B]," and so on. Maybe it will be "rofl," but used as "[B]rofflecoaster[/B]," "[B]rofflecopter[/B]," or just plain "[B]roffle[/B]." Finally, as an in-joke between some of my friends and I, there's "[B]lolzasausage[/B]."
[/FONT][/QUOTE][COLOR=Sienna]

Speaking of roffle, I once saw a woffle that said roffle on it... it went for 60$ on Ebay. Hahahahahaha. I mean, lolzors.

Seriously, I try to avoid using acronyms because than I feel like a total n00b and let me tell you, I hate newbs. They're also degrading to the english langauge and in general annoying to read.
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]I don?t really use a lot of Internet acronyms for the simple reason that I find them annoying. I really prefer actual English instead of trying to figure out what people are trying to say. I do occasionally use ?hehe? as like Gavin said it?s hard to portray laughter over the Internet. But unless I really find something amusing I don?t use it. Though sometimes I use it when I?m feeling rather hyper or very happy. I do like to use the smiley faces in moderation, but again it?s because I actually am smiling or feel like smiling. So I think a few are appropriate. Like in my signature. I really do love the banner. [/COLOR]