OtakuBoards

FIFA World Cup 2006

eleanor

[color=dimgray] :D World Cup started! Of course the first game was Germany vs. Costa Rica [spoiler](Germany, 4-2)[/spoiler] and then Poland vs. Ecuador [spoiler](Ecuador, 2-0)[/spoiler].

The only two teams I'll probably keep good track of are the US and South Korea (who else loved Italy vs. Korea last world cup?). Unfortunately I don't really know how good the US team is right now or how they've progressed, so if someone could fill me in that'd be great. As for South Korea... I'm pretty sure they're a solid team but they're not as good as last time. Hopefully they'll pull through.

Anyone else watch World Cup?[/color]

[QUOTE=Lunox][color=dimgray] :D World Cup started! Of course the first game was Germany vs. Costa Rica [spoiler](Germany, 4-2)[/spoiler] and then Poland vs. Ecuador [spoiler](Poland, 2-0)[/spoiler].

The only two teams I'll probably keep good track of are the US and South Korea (who else loved Italy vs. Korea last world cup?). Unfortunately I don't really know how good the US team is right now or how they've progressed, so if someone could fill me in that'd be great. As for South Korea... I'm pretty sure they're a solid team but they're not as good as last time. Hopefully they'll pull through.

Anyone else watch World Cup?[/color][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Er.. check your scores really quick, it was [spoiler]Ecuador who won the game, 2-0. They were all over Poland.[/spoiler]

I have been anticipating the cup for a few weeks now, so I'm glad it finally kicked off! I had a spare during the first game so I was able to watch it. What a great game it was, too! Some of the shots were absolutely amazing. The last goal that Germany made was incredible. He was so far out and that ball just curved beautifully into the top corner.. ahhh.. *melts* Heh.. so I guess that tells you I'll be keeping up, hey? XD

I'm also watching out for South Korea. They really managed to do some great things last time around.. Oh the joys of the underdogs =P I'm expecting alot from both Germany (very close last time.. they have a very solid team put together, and the home advantage is huuuuuuuuuge) and Brazil just because.. they're Brazil.

2 games down and 54 (53?) to go! Alright![/FONT][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=CoLoR_Me_EviL][COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Er.. check your scores really quick, it was [spoiler]Ecuador who won the game, 2-0. They were all over Poland.[/spoiler]

I have been anticipating the cup for a few weeks now, so I'm glad it finally kicked off! I had a spare during the first game so I was able to watch it. What a great game it was, too! Some of the shots were absolutely amazing. The last goal that Germany made was incredible. He was so far out and that ball just curved beautifully into the top corner.. ahhh.. *melts* Heh.. so I guess that tells you I'll be keeping up, hey? XD

I'm also watching out for South Korea. They really managed to do some great things last time around.. Oh the joys of the underdogs =P I'm expecting alot from both Germany (very close last time.. they have a very solid team put together, and the home advantage is huuuuuuuuuge) and Brazil just because.. they're Brazil.

2 games down and 54 (53?) to go! Alright![/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=dimgray] *hits self* Edited my post.

I'm just slightly dissapointed because I'm going to camp for the next three weeks. But at the same time the camp I'm going to is fjcking amazing. Hopefully I'll be able to check online and watch some of the games on tv at times.[/color]

[Font=Arial]Living in Germany, it's interesting seeing the pride the people put behind their soccer team. As we were driving home from being out yesterday, I saw a couple of kids standing on their balcony swinging the german flag.

Of course, last night's first game was nothing but screams of joy as my family and couple of friends watched the game. It's kind of amazing seeing the pride people feel, you know?

But yeah, I'm all for Germany winning, although if the US or Argentina win, I'll be happy too. Just don't let Brazil win. They've won too many times. Let's see an Underdog win here. (Or Germany, so I don't have to watch all my classmates sulk for the next two years. XD)[/font]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]I'm keeping an eye on England, France and Brazil.

England for David Beckham, I was wishing that [SPOILER]the goal against Paraguay was his. I swore it was! But then I looked closer at the footage and saw that one of the players from Paraguay was the one who actually hit it with his head.[/SPOILER]

France for Zinedine Zidane, he 'came out of retirement' to play for France as a Midfielder. I've been a fan of his for a while. Funny story is that he and David Beckham played for Real Madrid, I've had a cloth banner of theirs since I was a freshman in high school which was...3 years ago. I always found that funny.

And Brazil...well, that's kinda self-explanatory, that one. Ronaldinho is just amazing with his feet and yesterday in [SPOILER]their win against Croatia[/SPOILER], everyone played great as usual.

The only thing about the World Cup schedule is that it'll run into my trip to Japan and I'll be so busy that I don't know if I can keep track of everything or not. If I'm lucky, it'll save itself on my TiVo.[/SIZE][/FONT]

The teams that are normally expected to do well in the World Cup are playing like amatuers. Sweden tied Cote D'Ivoir, where Sweden was heavily favored. France tied Switzerland, which was no real surprise, but France has beaten Switzerland in all of their previous meetings. USA lost to Czech Republic 3-0 which was an utter surprise. Although CR is #2 in the world, the USA was favored for their higher World Cup experience. The only team that has been slightly consistant is Brazil, and they were only able to put up one goal on their opener.

It's already been a weird start to the 2006 World Cup, I can't wait to see what happens next. I see a no-name team coming out of the wood-work later in the tournament and taking it all home.

[size=1]It has been a rather wierd start. Interesting, but wierd nonetheless. The US losing to Czech. Republic was a huge surprise. While I wasn't favoring the US to win the World Cup, I still thought they'd get that win over the Czechs.

Meh, oh well I guess? I'm still hoping England takes it. It should be exciting.[/size]

[SIZE=1]I'm not big on football, but I've watched some of England's games. I can't sit and watch a full match or I get bored, but so far I've been around for the goals, which is lucky. =D

I was happy with the result today, because it showed weaknesses in our team that need to be overcome. Most people assumed that Trinidad and Tobago would be an easy team to play, but [spoiler]it was only right near the end of the second half that England's two goals were scored. (Both players who scored, Crouch and Gerard, play for Liverpool. Har har, sock it to 'em lads.)[/spoiler]

I'm also supporting South Korea because I [strike]think some of the players are hot[/strike] like to have more than one option. ^_~ They're playing this Sunday, I believe? Against France?

And am I the only one who finds ?football fever? infectious? I don?t watch any games during the year, but as soon as England scored their first goal today my hands were in the air and I was cheering. I?d barely been watching for ten minutes =/ Strange, strange game.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

I'm surprised I didn't notice this thread before, as like most European males I'm glued to watching the opening matches of the 2006 World Cup, this despite the fact Ireland haven't qualified for the first time in years.

I watched the England-Trinidad&Tobago match earlier today and I have to admit I was one the edge of my seat hoping T&T would be able to hold England to a draw, I mean the very fact that one of the so called "contenders" for the World Cup was very nearly held to a nil-all draw by a team not supposed to be near their league is perhaps a portent of things to come. It's funny really, the anti-England sentiment in Ireland is all but dead, save when it comes to football or rugby, in which case we hate to see them win anything.

Personally I'm hoping Germany wins it out, if only for the fact my adopted country Australia probably don't have a chance. [/SIZE]

[color=darkred]Yeah, I've been following it religiously. Argentina just beat Serbia 6-0, which isn't surprising, putting them through to the quarter finals. As always, I'm supporting the Germans, even though they've become a fairly average team over the years, compared to the monster of a team they used to be. Nevertheless, they qualified after beating Poland the other day, so I'm happy.

Oh, and Gavin, as for Australia, I wouldn't give up on them yet just yet, heh. They did pretty well against Japan, who have some quality players, so who knows what's going to happen.[/color]

[quote name='Lan][size=1']The US losing to Czech. Republic was a huge surprise. While I wasn't favoring the US to win the World Cup, I still thought they'd get that win over the Czechs.[/size][/quote]

[size=1]US Stinks, they should play [i]American[/i] football, not cool football >_>;;

Right now I'm watching the Netherlands versus Ivory Coast. When [spoiler]the Netherlands scores, I felt happy for them. Van Persie deserved it, it was a great shot, and van Nistelrooy was playing bad last time so this should make it up a bit.[/spoiler]. However, [Spoiler]Ivory Coast scored too, which sucks ;_;[/spoiler]. And the refferee [spoiler]is a real pain in the bleep[/spoiler].

Now I'm going [spoiler]to[/spoiler] watch the rest of the match :3

[i][b]EDIT:[/b] [spoiler]And it remained 2-1, w00t :P[/spoiler]. The match was full of whistle noise, but [spoiler]no red cards[/spoiler]. Though the refferee seemed as if he wanted to [spoiler]give every single player a yellow card[/spoiler].[/i]

Oh by the way: The Netherlands own your behinds >: D[/size]

[quote name='Bombu][color=darkred']Oh, and Gavin, as for Australia, I wouldn't give up on them yet just yet, heh. They did pretty well against Japan, who have some quality players, so who knows what's going to happen.[/color][/quote]

[SIZE=1]I'm not counting them out just yet, I just don't honestly think they have enough to compete against the big leaguers like Spain and Italy. I'd love to see them progress further, as in into the semis, and it could happen, but if they get drawn against someone like Germany they're screwed.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Bombu][color=darkred]Yeah, I've been following it religiously. Argentina just beat Serbia 6-0, which isn't surprising, putting them through to the quarter finals. As always, I'm supporting the Germans, even though they've become a fairly average team over the years, compared to the monster of a team they used to be. Nevertheless, they qualified after beating Poland the other day, so I'm happy.
.[/color][/QUOTE]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=Indigo]Woww I felt so bad after they beat Serbia 6-0. But all the goals were totally beautiful. Nothing cheap about them, Serbia's defense just fell apart ._." Not that I expected a huge amount from them but I thought they could atleast hold them to like a 2ish goal game.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[color=darkred]Well, Argentina just beat Mexico 2-1; both teams giving out a fantastic performance, not to mention the amazing atmosphere that the spectators produced. It was a great match overall, which went into extra time, and I seriously urge those who missed it to some how, some way watch a re-run, because it's these kinds of games that make world cup history, and of course, goals like Rodriguez's winner. Sheesh.[/color] :animenose

Yep; Australia drew with Croatia the other day, putting us through to the next round. But I've got to say this, the standard of refereeing has been pretty dodgy in the matches that I''ve watched.
I am also somewhat pessimistic about our chances getting through to the end, We got lucky against Croatia and are going to play against Italy, who are a top notch team.

We have some good players but little else.

[size=1][spoiler]I now officially hold a grudge against Portugal. I wanted to bash Figo's face in when he was acting as if Boularous did. Normally I'm not aggressive, especially not when it comes to watching sports, but this was just plain sad.

Oh and like 18 yellow cards and 4 red cards! o_____O[/spoiler]

People, don't be so sad! It's only a game involving a ball that you have to kick in a net! Just... kick the ball in the net instead of making a trading card game out of it.

Color Me Evil: [spoiler]It was Deco I think, who got his second yellow card for that. XD[/spoiler][/size]

[QUOTE=Boo][size=1][spoiler]I now officially hold a grudge against Portugal. I wanted to bash Figo's face in when he was acting as if Boularous did. Normally I'm not aggressive, especially not when it comes to watching sports, but this was just plain sad.

Oh and like 18 yellow cards and 4 red cards! o_____O[/size][/spoiler][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Trebuchet MS][email protected].

[spoiler]That was basically the worst match I have ever seen. 12 cards given. 4 of them red. Each red was deserved, too. I know what you mean, I hope Figo is suspended by FIFA before the next match against England. That was absolutely terrible. The commentator called it "the most vile match in the history of the world cup" and I would likely have to agree. Bah.

Edit: Oh yeah, frick, and when that guy actually PICKED UP THE BALL OFF THE GROUND FOR NO APPARENT REASON?? I forget his name.. C or D something. Ughhhh. What a dumbass.[/FONT][/COLOR][/spoiler]

[spoiler][SIZE=1]I have to admit I didn't see all the match between the Dutch and Portuguese teams, however having just asked my brother he confirms most of what's been said here. That said he was actually up for Portugal to win so wasn't all that quick to admit that Figo had been guilty of misconduct. I'll have to watch the highlights later, but right now it seems that a generally poor World Cup is getting a bit more vicious.[/SIZE][/spoiler]

• 2 weeks later...
[color=#007520]Who saw the game between [b][color=green]It[color=white]al[color=red]y[/color][/color][/color][/b] and [b][color=black]Ge[color=red]rma[color=gold]ny[/color][/color][/color][/b] today?

Those last four or five minutes were the best four or five minutes I've ever seen in a soccer game. 8)

When there was only five minutes left, my friends and I assumed that [spoiler]the game would end with a 0-0 score. We thought it would go to shoot-outs... meaning, for us, that Germany would be the definite winners. Heh, heh. Boy were we wrong.[/spoiler]

-r2[/color]

[QUOTE=r2vq][color=#007520]Who saw the game between [b][color=green]It[color=white]al[color=red]y[/color][/color][/color][/b] and [b][color=black]Ge[color=red]rma[color=gold]ny[/color][/color][/color][/b] today?

Those last four or five minutes were the best four or five minutes I've ever seen in a soccer game. 8)

When there was only five minutes left, my friends and I assumed that [spoiler]the game would end with a 0-0 score. We thought it would go to shoot-outs... meaning, for us, that Germany would be the definite winners. Heh, heh. Boy were we wrong.[/spoiler]

-r2[/color][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Trebuchet MS]yeah I saw. I seriously could have sworn that it was [spoiler]going to go into a shootout, and that Germany would win. [/spoiler] I was pretty upset that they didn't. I swear, I am bad luck, every team I've liked has ended up losing. Well if Portugal wins the next match (PLEASE, NOOO), we're in for another sort of game like portugal vs. nederlands. Full of diving fun for everyone. *rolls eyes*[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]Wait, so I lost track after [Spoiler]South Korea lost[/Spoiler], which sucked by the way, the ref was visually impaired or something.

I also saw the game between Portugal and England, and I really wanted England to win but I [spoiler]kind of thought that Portugal would beat them[/spoiler]

So who do you want to win? Portugal or France?

I think I'd rather take France. Am I the only one that thinks Ronaldo is extremely annoying?[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=MomochiZabuza][COLOR=DarkOrange][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]Wait, so I lost track after [Spoiler]South Korea lost[/Spoiler], which sucked by the way, the ref was visually impaired or something.

I also saw the game between Portugal and England, and I really wanted England to win but I [spoiler]kind of thought that Portugal would beat them[/spoiler]

So who do you want to win? Portugal or France?

I think I'd rather take France. Am I the only one that thinks Ronaldo is extremely annoying?[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Trebuchet MS]I picked France too. [spoiler]I am soo happy they won[/spoiler] =3 Portugal came in too confident, and although the [spoiler]penalty awarded to France was pretty weak, I'm glad they finished it off right then and there. Portugal did give them quite a scare, up until the end though o_o when they pulled Ricardo, and then he almost assisted I was like "holyyyy crap, if they can pull of a tie like that..."[/spoiler] And yes. Ronaldo is a little punk. =P[/FONT][/COLOR]

[size=1]Well, I'm late getting to this thread, but...

[spoiler]I'm seriously glad Brazil lost. They were terrible and acting like children trying to draw a foul within the box. I'm also glad that Italy beat Germany at home. That shot of the little girl crying over the German loss is priceless. Absolute gold.

I have my money on the French, although I could definitely live with the Italians winning it all. Despite the fact they robbed Australia, they've been pretty strong throughout. But for Zidane's sake, I hope France takes it.[/spoiler][/size]

[quote name='Retribution][SIZE=1][spoiler]I'm seriously glad Brazil lost. They were terrible and acting like children trying to draw a foul within the box. I'm also glad that Italy beat Germany at home. That shot of the little girl crying over the German loss is priceless. Absolute gold.[/spoiler'][/SIZE][/quote][SIZE=1][COLOR=Teal]I can only agree...except for the little girl! How sad! And although I'm not ecstatic about [spoiler]Italy's win (I liked Germany), I can't help but be impressed at the performance of both teams...and I can't complain about Italy either, because they earned their victory fair and square.[/spoiler] Not to mention, their uniforms are beautiful. ^_^

As for the finals, I'd have to say that I'm siding with the French, because Zidane is such a sweetheart with the ball! It's amazing to watch him...so gentle and careful, and so skilled and brilliant! It's just lovely watching him play, [spoiler]and his penalty goal today was [I]perfect[/I][/spoiler]. So hopefully the French...[spoiler]even though they were completely dominated in the second half by Portugal today...but they beat Brazil,[/spoiler] so I know they can do it!

Also, this is kind of odd coming from an 18-year old, but does anyone else findv Germany's coach (Juergen Klinsmann) attractive? He's so...cute ^_^, and he looked so adorable jumping up and down when they scored against...I can't remember ^_^;;. Anyhow, I'm already excited for South Africa in 2010! Hopefully Korea will do better next time. Go Korea! [/COLOR][/SIZE]