OtakuBoards

Weight.

Jubei Yagyou

Weight has been a big deal in my life ever since I was twelve, which was 4 years ago. I was diagnosed clinically obese, and felt like I was going to be fat for the rest of my life. All I did was sit around feeling sorry for myself. But, when I turned 14, my mom lost lots of weight. So, I decided to drink less pop, and I lost some fat because I was also growing. So going into freshman year I decided to join an "intense" weightlifting program with the football team and I lost more weight and I could actually see my muscles. That Year I joined wrestling, but I didn't have to cut because I didn't start at all. The year after that I was pretty good at football that year and I lifted a fair amount. During wrestling that year I naturally weighed 140 pounds at 5'5". I cut to 130 pounds that year and it was the worst and best experience of my life.

Even though I starved and dehydrated myself to an unhealthy state, I actually got attention for my hard work and lettered. But, in the first week after wrestling was overr, I lost all of my muscle and gained 20 pounds. Everyone made fun of me and I felt the same way as I did when I was a short fat 12 year old.

Now I am back in shape and I want to know, what are your experiences with weight? Is it not a big deal for you? Or are you weighing yourself everyday like I am?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=Sienna]I'm pushing 300 and [i]****ing proud of it[/i]. Once upon a time I was a self-concious person who was always being rideculed as the fat kid and always picked on, and I felt bad. But I got over it. I learned that if people are going to go to great lengths to make fun of what they percieve to be your faults, than they are just trying to draw attention away from their glaring problems.

I also began to view things from another perspective. Because that's really the key in this situation: perspective. Just because someone else views your weight as a defect, doesn't mean you do. And I don't. In fact, I would never go on a diet just to lose weight.

Besides, being 'in shape' isn't always the same as being pure muscle. You know who the true strong men are? The men who wins Olympic golds? They're big, heavy-set farm boys who get up every morning, eat a side of bacon, and lift weights for most of the day, not those creepy-lookin' Mr. Atlas winners like Swartchenegger. You don't have to starve yourself to get in shape; in fact, that is coutner productive, since your body needs charbohydrates and protein to convert into energy.

So really, what I'm saying is... don't let it bother you. I had a cousin who was a little chubby (Nothing, like 215 max) and his uncle always picked on him, called him 'Piggy' etc. He stopped eating completely and jogged 8 hours a day. Literally. Know what happened to him? Hospitalized. He had the slowest heart rate ever recorded in Quebec. He nearly [I]died[/I] because he let his weight get to him, because he let other people get to him. [I]****[/I] other people, and their opinions, if you like to eat than don't let them tell you you can't. At least, that's my perspective.

[B]FAT POWERS ACTIVATE![/B][/COLOR]

[color=dimgray] I used to weigh around 180 lbs. throughout middle school and the beginning of freshmen year. I had never dedicated myself to a diet, but at my mom's insistence and my own limit with being seen as 'fat', I started on one.

Now I'm 5'8" and 125 lbs., which I'm very happy with.

In actuality it wasn't a [i]huge[/i] life-changing experience for me. When I was bigger I thought that when I was through with losing the weight I'd become more likable by everyone, which didn't turn out to be true. It's a better lifestyle and I feel great, but the thought that I've lost 55 lbs. doesn't occur to me often anymore.

Because of the diet my eating habits have changed, and I don't bother weighing myself. It's normal for people to have weight fluctuations up to 5 lbs, and I haven't had a problem with keeping off the weight ever since I stopped my diet. Besides, I can tell if I've been eating too much lately or eating too little by how my clothes fit or just by looking at my body.

@ Jubei: Yeah, I know a bunch of wrestlers at my school who basically starve themselves so they'll make the weigh-in. Not to rag on the sport, but I don't think that's good in any way. If you're starving yourself to begin with, how do you perform well during tournaments and such?[/color]

Red 6: I really admire your empowerment. I wish I could be as independant as you are but the fact of the matter is, some people need positive attention, and I found it through sports. I really believe with any life style that anyone chooses but one thing I don't agree with you is...

[quote name='Red 6][COLOR=Sienna']You know who the true strong men are? The men who wins Olympic golds? They're big, heavy-set farm boys who get up every morning, eat a side of bacon, and lift weights for most of the day, not those creepy-lookin' Mr. Atlas winners like Swartchenegger[/COLOR][/quote]
Thats only true in the heavyweight category, the majority have to cut like wrestlers.

Lunox: Wrestlers do starve sometimes, and the muscles do diminish but the main thing is right after a wrestler weigh in 1 or 2 hours before a meet, they pig out. After a half an hour of digesting your energy comes back. Its not like most wrestlers starve 24/7, its mostly having a strict diet and barely drink before weighing in.

[QUOTE=Jubei Yagyou]
Lunox: Wrestlers do starve sometimes, and the muscles do diminish but the main thing is right after a wrestler weigh in 1 or 2 hours before a meet, they pig out. After a half an hour of digesting your energy comes back. Its not like most wrestlers starve 24/7, its mostly having a strict diet and barely drink before weighing in.[/QUOTE]

[color=dimgray] Ah, I figured that. Yeah, I remember sitting behind this wrestler in Spanish class and I'd hear him say "I had egg whites and a protein bar yesterday". I felt bad for him. >_> And this guy in my chemistry class who lost 25 lbs. and he looked gaunt and papery.

@ Red 6: Your self-confidence is good, but I'm just going to say that diets aren't evil. Obesity is proven to give people larger risks for health problems. Of course, extreme diets are incredibly bad for your body, too.

As for the being in shape thing... people who think skinny people are automatically 'in-shape' are incredibly mislead. But there are tons of fit people who are slender. Most everyone else in the Olympics are all in tip-top shape.
[/color]

[size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]I'm about 89 kilos (196 pounds), and I'm trying to lose weight. Having ****** a knee up in a game of Urban Commando when I was 12 (great game), it's kind of hard for me to do heavy cardio (which loses unwanted fat the fastest), but I still seem to manage it. My happiness is tied up deeply with my body image, so as long as I have this gut, I'm not gonna feel good about myself, so I take as many steps as I can to get rid of it. And that's me and weight. lol[/font][/color][/size]

I weigh 134 at 5'9" slouching. I'm not overly happy with my weight; I actuallty want to gain at least five pounds. Unforunatly, I can't gain a thing at all, instead I loose weight. My Doc thinks I'm naturally anarexic (SP?), and is very concerned. So I have an oppisite situation than you might be used to hearing, but there it is.

hmmm... i'm 115(this week) at 5'1" but i used to have a lower number than this when i was in the philippines. sigh... not that i'm complaining but its kinda amusing to see my weight go up and down between 110-120. i'm too lazy to work out but i do some ddr and tennis for fun. :)

5'9" [and growing... ack!] and about 135. I used to hate it. I was used to being 120, and I wanted to stay that way. Even thought 135 isn't that much, it still seems like a ton to me. But I'm just like any other insecure, mid-teenage girl: I always think I'm fat. Truth is, I'm one of the skinniest people I know, but I don't see it; everyone else does. That's hard to deal with because I don't always feel good enough, but if I want to lose weight, everyone tells me I'm crazy.
It's hard to get a grip on reality sometimes... but life is still good. :D

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=DarkOrange]I'm 5'5" and 131 lbs. I feel so fat when I say that, but, in truth, not only do I not look my weight, but I have alot of muscle for a girl. I've played soccer for 12 years, so I mean.. gotta build up something, in doing that. And as we train and do weights for playoffs in a few weeks.. I gain more muscle. -shrug- I'm not thrilled with my weight, or my body in general, but I've accepted it, and to be a good soccer player, I need to be at a certain fitness level and whatnot. I also realize that I could be in a far worse position, weight & body wise, so it's comforting >_> And I'm still growing so my weight will probably stay the same, but I'll get taller. I hope, anyway xD[/COLOR][/FONT]

[color=darkred][size=1]

All my life, I've been a pretty skinny guy. In 7th/8th grade, I was at 9% body fat. It has since gone up in the past three years. I'm about 5'11"/6'0'' and exactly 160 lbs. I'm a pretty good weight, and I'm still a skinny guy. I've always been told that I should gain some weight, and when I did, people complemented me on it, saying that I 'filled out well' and what not.

I don't much care for it though and I'd like to lose some weight. Apparently not for cosmetic reasons, but because I just feel heavier as of recent. Not as light on my feet as I'd like to be. Aswell, the main area of real body fat that I have is around my waist and the bottom of my stomach. Basically, it ruins the six-pack I almost have. If I could get rid of that small layer of fat, I'd really be perfectly happy with my body entirely. Heh.

Again, it has nothing to do with being self concious, nor should it be. I think that being in shape should mean that you feel good and feel healthy. And when I eat alot or gain small amounts of weight, I just don't feel healthy or good. I like to have a refreshed, clean feeling about me, which is why I tend to go into short periods of intense cardio in order to give myself that feeling. Heh. Working up a sweat and then cooling off is probably one of the best feelings in the world, and you feel satisfied with yourself when you've accomplished something like running a mile or doing a good work out. It's good for you mentally and physically. It releases a bit of stress and what not.

I'm into martial arts and what not, two one-hour classes a week of mostly stretching and cardio keep me in good shape along with the constant off-hand excersize that I do. Alá running for ROTC, playing basketball, and dancing. Heh.

[b]Note:[/b] A really fun work out is a punching bag. It takes a while to get bored of that, releases alot of aggression, and is good cardio.

That's just me.[/color][/size]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]Weight... okay how do I put this? I'm fat. And I'm not bsing the subject either.

I'm 5'5 and weigh well... let's just say I usually wear a size seventeen.

I try to lose it, but between the divorce, not being able to make enough money to go to a gym and lack of motivation I haven't made good strides at it.

But I think that even with the weight I'm in decent shape, I eat a lot of fruits, vegatables and lean proteins, I walk- attempt to run ( I don't like running though because I swear I look like a drunk duck) and I used to do horseback riding.

My job right now involves a lot of moving around bending and shoving things into place so I get my work out from that. Also since it's summer and I work in a plastics factory with no a/c I have the added benifit of a sweat room.

But I think we're too obsesed with weight and looks in general. I mean yeah it's important to be in shape, but that shouldn't be the only thing someone has going for them.

And dammit I need to go to bed![/color][/font]

[size=1][color=slategray]I haven't weighed myself in awhile, so, bleh. But... I know I'm about 5'2" and around 95-100 pounds. I've always been an extremely tiny kid. I guess I just have a high metabolism, because I think I've gone to a gym about twice in my entire life and I don't enjoy participating in physical activities.
In fact, I spend all my time eating sugary things and sitting on my butt. I have excess fat, I mean, come on.. that sugar gives me a little paunch... but I don't look fat.

Right now, I think my figure is great. But let's face it, in about twenty years, this metabolism will have gone down the drain and I just know I'm gonna pack on the pounds. I have the mentality of a fat person, I eat what I want and don't do a damn thing all day... my body just doesn't reflect that... yet.

>>
Eh.
Go optimism![/color][/size]

I'm 5'8" and weigh at like 114lb, I dont know if that's a bad thing though, my parents always ask me " Leon are you anorexic?" I end up screaming at them for bringing that subject up, I [B][I][U] swear [/B][/I][/U] I'm not anorexic, but they dont belive me. I think the clincal depression has something to do with it. I try to bring my weight up by eating junk food, that doesnt work seriously, I ate alot of unhealthly stuff, during school and, I only went up two pounds, then dropped those two pounds during my Phys Ed final. The doctors say I have a very high motabolism, I dont know if that factors into weight or not. In my honest opinon, I have no problem with my weight, I honestly dont see what's wrong with the picture.

- Fury

[COLOR=Navy]In about two weeks time, I jump from 134-140 pounds and vice versa and I am 5'11".

I'm just tall and very slim. I do need to work on building my muscles some and eat better but I'm working on it.

I could be more flexible than I am and I know that I need to stretch. [/COLOR]

[size=1]

120-130, depending upon the week.

Seeing as I am about 5'3.5", I'm not the skinniest. But weight never has been a huge problem for me.

I'm too in love with salt and candy bars to care much about what I look like.

I need to build up some muscle mass, though. Sadly, I could have a nice figure if I tried, but I'm just lazy.

Oh, well.

[/size]

[FONT=Arial]I promised myself I would never get all the way up to 180, but I'm close. At 5'6-7", it's not so bad, but I'm extremely self concious. I haven't gained or lost much since last March, but I haven't really been trying. Sometimes I ride my bike a long ways (I rode six miles last week, but I stopped a lot because I went to some stores and stuff along the way). I used to play DDR, and I can do a few songs on heavy, but mostly on standard. I haven't really been that interested in it lately, though.

The most important thing for me right now, though, is to be vegetarian. I'm on day 3 and I'm pretty proud, because this is the longest I've been able to be vegetarian. I guess it helps that I found a really good veggie burger product, and that I can eat those for dinner instead of sloppy joes or pot roast that my mom made. I also eat spanish rice, macaroni and cheese, and lots of vegetables. I don't really care that I'm not getting protein, because I don't ever do any heavy lifting or anything. Besides, I normally starve myself for hours by not eating breakfast before school. If I'm not dead or dying yet, I'll be fine. =P

[SIZE=1]I just remembered that I was boiling water for rice and I left it alone for about an hour. Duuuh.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Marsh][FONT=Arial']I don't really care that I'm not getting protein, because I don't ever do any heavy lifting or anything. Besides, I normally starve myself for hours by not eating breakfast before school. If I'm not dead or dying yet, I'll be fine. =P[/FONT][/quote] [COLOR=maroon]You probably know this already, but protein is for everything, not just for muscle. Chances are, if you are fine, you are getting proteins from some source. Milk, for instance, is a great protein source, and certain vegatables have protein.[/COLOR]

[quote name='AzureWolf][COLOR=maroon']You probably know this already, but protein is for everything, not just for muscle. Chances are, if you are fine, you are getting proteins from some source. Milk, for instance, is a great protein source, and certain vegatables have protein.[/COLOR][/quote]

[FONT=Arial]Though I do hate milk, I sort of knew some vegetables had protein. It's very annoying, though, because everytime I say "I'm going vegetarian again," someone will always pester me with "omgzz!! how are you going to get protein!?"[/FONT]

I saw this thread and I pulled out my old scale. xD

I stand at five feet, seven inches and I weigh one hundred twenty-five pounds. I feel that this is fairly decent for a girl who hasn't been truly physical in two months and eats like a quartet of ten-year-olds.

I guess I owe the fact that I'm an uncurvy stick of a girl to the fact that my metabolism is a super hero. :B But all super heroes get old, and one day I will have to start working my butt off to keep this weight range. >>;

[QUOTE=Leon Fury]I'm 5'8" and weigh at like 114lb, I dont know if that's a bad thing though, my parents always ask me " Leon are you anorexic?" I end up screaming at them for bringing that subject up, I [B][I][U] swear [/B][/I][/U] I'm not anorexic, but they dont belive me. I think the clincal depression has something to do with it. I try to bring my weight up by eating junk food, that doesnt work seriously, I ate alot of unhealthly stuff, during school and, I only went up two pounds, then dropped those two pounds during my Phys Ed final. The doctors say I have a very high motabolism, I dont know if that factors into weight or not. In my honest opinon, I have no problem with my weight, I honestly dont see what's wrong with the picture.

- Fury[/QUOTE]

I also get the whole "Are you anorexic?" bit. From EVERYONE. I mean, wow. It's really really [I]really[/I] irritating after a while! I mean, if I stand from the side & lift up my arms, I DO look anorexic... but I eat SOOOOOOOOOOO much food that it's CRAZY! My dad worries about how much I eat... and my friends worry about how small I am. GUH! I get the worst of both worlds...

[COLOR=Gray]I'm fifteen at 5'2 and my weight varies from 103-108 during the weeks. I seem to always stay in that range but I see I'm more fat than muscle right now. I know, 103 is not fat. Well, not a lot really. Right now I'm in intense weightlifting gym course and I'm joining soccer so I might be able to replace a couple pounds and actually add some more, too, of muscle. ^_^ [/COLOR]

[quote name='Marsh][FONT=Arial']Though I do hate milk, I sort of knew some vegetables had protein. It's very annoying, though, because everytime I say "I'm going vegetarian again," someone will always pester me with "omgzz!! how are you going to get protein!?"[/FONT][/quote]

Beans are a very good source of protein. Whenever I feel like I want to have a heavy meal without meat I just make some black beans and rice and make a bean burrito. Protein pills and shakes help too.

Guest I hitokiri I
Throught middle school I weighed about 180 lb, and I wasn't really "fat"< I was just husky I guess. :animesmil But I still wasn't happy with my weight.

IN the spring of 8th grade I picked up lacrosse. It's a great sport, it's very physical, and its a h*** of alot of running. At the end of the season I dropped 20 lbs. I also started to hit my groqth spurt at the same time, so that helped. :animesmil I've kept playing and lost about 10 more pounds. Let me tell you, 5 laps around the lacrosse field and 15 wind sprints a day, works very well. :D

One day at the beginning of this summer i weighed myself only to realize that i weighed 150 pounds. It kindof sketched me out so I checked up on it online, and it told me that I was over weight This in addition to my then boyfriend saying that I would look alot better if i was skinnier and the ringing in of swimsuit season drew me to do something about it. I started working out almost every day, I cut soda out of my diet and tried to eat healthier (beleive me this was really hard because I love fried foods and chocolate fudge brownies...for any meal.) So I made simple changes such as eating wheat bread verses white, and fruits instead of snack food, and I made it a point to eat a healthy breakfast everyday. ANYWAY I now weigh about 138 and my goal is to reach the 120s. I started the special k diet last week and i love it. It tastes really good & i'm really excited to see if it works out. & I still make it a point to workout atleast twice a week.

But the point is, I don't care what other people think about my weight, I am doing this specifically for me. I want to feel healthier and better about myself, so instead of moping around, I'm doing something to refine my life.

[QUOTE][B]Originally Posted by Leon Fury [/B]
The doctors say I have a very high motabolism, I dont know if that factors into weight or not.[/QUOTE]

Yes metabolism can be a big factor in weight. It determines how fast your body burns off the energy it consumes. My dad and my sister both have high metabolisms like you and can eat whatever they want whenever they want without a flucuation in weight.

& I hope you're parents will get over their suspicions of you having anorexia..that must majorly suck.