OtakuBoards

Guilty Pleasures

Dagger

Let's start off by making sure that we have our definitions straight. A guilty pleasure is exactly what its name suggests. It can't be something that you watched because you felt that you had no other choice--e.g. mindlessly plowing through 153700 episodes of Naruto filler because it was the only show you could get your hands on. No. There has to be some pleasure involved with you watching the series you choose to mention here, even if it means admitting that you have bad taste to the world. Or at least OB.

You also have to recognize the fact that the anime in question (either completely or kind of) sucks. It's not a guilty pleasure if there's nothing to be guilty about.

Here's an example. [b]Kiba[/b] is a new-ish shounen action series, still airing in Japan and slated to be around 50-something episodes in length, in which the main characters summon, collect and do battle with spirit monster thingies that stay stored in small orbs. In other words, it's basically Pokemon with killing people. Except that its plot boasts more logical inconsistencies than Pokemon ever suffered from. The worst part is that it has occasional brushes with greatness--or at least what would be something resembling greatness, if you were [strike]extremely[/strike] a little drunk.

And yet I (almost) unabashedly enjoy it. So it's one of my big guilty pleasures at the moment. What're yours?

~Dagger~

Okay, I'll bite. I'll constrin this to recent shows to keep the list short. I should warn you, though, that whenever I'm watching a series with no redeeming factors, it's almost always for the girls. I'm a moeholic and I need help.

[b]Mai Otome[/b] - Absolute trash, but much better at it than Mai Hime was. Both series have in common the rather unfortunate very serious death march towards the end (which happens to many of these series, in fact - guys, is there something WRONG with having your shameless fan service series about superpowered girls in silly outfits end in a fun way?), but Otome understands itself much better. Before the end, only rarely does it split itself into "funny" and "serious" segments as Hime does, as if the writing staff were in constant battle. Otome knows what it is, and delivers the prurient moments in large doses. It has the pool episode to end all pool episodes; one of the DVD extras involves Nao getting Arika and the other freshmen together for a girls-only sleepover, then selling the resulting pictures to an adult magazine. It's wonderful and it makes me feel guilty as all hell.

[b]Black Cat[/b] - Cynical Trigun ripoff with one redeeming factor, a blonde nanomechanical robot girl named Eve who likes to read a lot (comparisons to Haruhi's Yuki are warranted here). Eve got me through the rest of the series, folks. But then there's the ending, and, well... let me put it this way. The show should stop at episode 19 or so. It does [i]not[/i], and this is a terrible, terrible mistake.

[b]Bakuretsu Tenshi[/b] (Burst Angels) - Again, the girls are the only things that make me bother with this - otherwise the animation is inconsistent and the plot is forgettable at the moments when it makes sense. All the design efforts went into the girls, as far as I can tell - and this was by no means a poor choice. Stupid, trashy fun to be had for all lonely young males.

And I'll stop there before I make myself look even worse.

[size=1][b]Mew Mew Power[/b] - No, not the quality Tokyo Mew Mew anime or manga, I'm talking about the 4Kids hackjob. While it may not air anymore, and I still think it was horribly dubbed, I managed to wake up every morning to watch it, and somehow eeked some enjoyment out of it. A Sailor Moon ripoff? Maybe. One of the worst 4Kids dubs? Most likely. Guilty pleasure? Heck yes.

[b]PokeMon[/b] - Yes yes, the anime that got me started on anime in general. Story? I think most know it by now, so I won't deleve into it. The series, IMO, was tarnished when it got into the fourth season, when the two YEARS worth of fillers took over (no, not two years anime time, two years OUR time). But what can I say? I plugged through, because it was before I discovered Adult Swim. I still enjoy PokeMon to this day, if not the early episodes.

And I'll take my leave as well, before I start to get funny looks.[/size]

[B]Love Hina[/B]- Yeah, I'll admit, I watched it on a dare at first, than became hooked, and not for the girls. I actually manageed to get past the images and focus on the plot. Keitaro has become my favorite character ever. Long live Love Hina!!!

[B]One Piece; American Version[/B]- Ace, don't kill me. I started watching it because of the Manga. But after my friends dropped it because of 4Kids' cencoring tactics, I continued to watch it because the story line hasn't changed much.

I'll run back to the shadows of the Path of Life before Ace kills me for talking about the 4kids One Piece.

[b]Dragon Ball Z[/b] is a huge guilty pleasure for me, mostly due to how completely absurd it is. To this day, I'm not certain what element of the series amuses me the most - there's so much to choose from: The "epic" battles that drag on through episodes and episodes of punching, kicking, grunting, and the same three or four lines of dialogue from the battle's participants; the bad voice acting, [i]especially[/i] in the beginning of the series (Goku's "surfer dude" phase is too great for words, seriously); the grandiose, ultimate powers that just happen to become obsolete a few episodes later ("Super Saiyans r the strngst fightarz in da galaxy except Dr. Gero made a buncha super-strong androids kthxbai" or "ya Vegeta i was totally SS2 when i fought u but i could've been SS3 the whole time lol@u"); or maybe it's just the sight of Vegeta in a pink shirt.

For me, DBZ is just too goofy not to love. I'd never buy the DVDs or anything (I'd probably be driven into bankruptcy if I tried), but I watch it when it's on TV. :)

[color=#4B0082]Does [b]Dragon Half[/b] count as a guilty pleasure? For me it's one of those, "so bad it's good," things. Everything in it is just so stupid and absurd that I find it hilarious. Especially how it seems to randomly change between normal, chibi, and super-deformed animation styles. I don't think I would've watched it a second time if I weren't already shameless.

It's a too bad there's only two episodes. Maybe I should try to find the manga.[/color]

[SIZE=1]Shin, you stole my guilty pleasure. ): I'm totally obsessed with [B]DBZ[/B] right now, and I'm depressed because it's not on TV anymore. *crycry*

[B]Negima[/B] would probably be my guilty pleasure, though. I've never liked manga that was complete fanbait, but Negima is too hilarious not to love. The wacky situations that usually end up in the girls getting naked are always so funny, if not very unique, and the fact that Negi is a magician prodigy from Britain just makes it totally worthwhile. XD

(Plus the artwork is reallyreally pretty~)[/SIZE]

Well I suppose I could count [B]Love Hina[/B] as a 'Guilty pleasures'. Me and my group of associates viewed it (and some still do) as a mindless fanservice series. I was discussing with a friend of mine about how meaning can be found anywhere, even in shows like love hina. He of course Disagreed, and so I Watched the whole thing Once I actually sat down and watched it, focusing on the plot, It wasn't actually that tough to disprove my friend.

my guilty pleasures would be [B]Loveless[/B]. I'm not into that boy love thing in fact, I try to avoid seeing anything with boy love in it as I can accept it but feel I don't need it shoved in my face. But this anime interested me. It had me very curious even with the blatent use of boy love. SO I guess my guilty pleasure would be the fact that I enjoyed watching this and am still waiting to hear if there is a second series.

[B]Fruits Basket[/B] - somewhat referred to as a girly anime/manga. I liked the anime up until the last couple of eps where I think they ruined it. However I love the manga and continue to read it when ever I can get my hands onto scanlations. The manga is still not finished and I want to see the end. There has also been the announcement of a possible second series.

[B]Midori Days[/B] - Very much a love story. I'm pretty guilty of enjoying love stories, but this would have to be one of my favourite romantic comedies with [B]Fruits Basket[/B]. I could even get past the fan service (being a guy I'm not against that at all) and watch the thing in its entirety. There are probably more reasons but that's all I can think of now.

[B]Green Green TV[/B]- yeah, this shows is absolutely abyssmal, and the sub I watched it with was horrible. But for some reason I felt connected to the somewhat cliched characters, and the last episode made me really sad and depressed... :animedepr

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

Mike's beaten me to the punch, as would Jamie had Mike not also beaten her, anyway for me my guilty pleasure has to be DBZ. It was the first anime I ever saw, ever before Pokémon and since my little brother with the Midas-touch acquired all of DBZ on DVD I can now relish every battle that seems to go on for twenty episodes before ending rather unexpectedly. I think it was the fact that DBZ was so completely different to anything I had ever seen before, with the exception of Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, yes it was Hero as opposed to Ninja over here and I always loved TMHT and this featured guys who actually killed their enemies.

Aside from DBZ, my other guilty anime pleasures are the first two series of Zoids, Guardian Force and New Century Zero, I'm counting Chaotic Century as part of GF as really it is one series. Though I suppose you could nearly call CC the Dragonball to GF's DBZ. Anyway back to the point, Zoids was my guilty pleasure because it like DBZ was so different to what was on television at the time, big guns and animal mechs reminded me of Transformers G1, and the story wasn't bad either, though like DBZ it took them ten eps to do anything of consequence.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin][SIZE=1']My other guilty anime pleasures are the first two series of Zoids, Guardian Force and New Century Zero, I'm counting Chaotic Century as part of GF as really it is one series.[/SIZE][/quote]

[size=1]I would fit into that category too Gavin. I think I taped most of the series when it was on TV here in Australia years ago. I still have the tapes too. :animeswea

I think my guilty pleasures would be [b]Sailor Moon[/b]. The whole over-the-top girlyness of the American version now makes me think 'why oh why did I watch it'. Sometimes the predicaments they get themselves into makes me wonder about my sanity. I do like the anime because of the girl power, but Serena irritates me the most [spoiler]with the romantic situation with Darren/Tuxedo Mask[/spoiler].

Another would be [b]Beyblades[/b]. I go all fan-girly over [b]Kai[/b] from it, and that's probably the only reason why I ever watched it, other than the great designs of the Bit-Beasts. [b]Yu-gi-oh![/b] too. Fangirly over [b]Yami[/b] and the great designs for the monsters. Plus I love Egyptian mythology. Mythology in general actually.

There's my confession.[/size]

Bleach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Total Pleasure in this anime, I absolutely LOVE bleach, but love the character Hitsugaya even MORE!! hence my sn and avatar...
The reasons--Bleach is one of the few anime that goes on for almost 100 episodes now with out any flash-backs, not including the filler episode with various fights from previous episodes. It keeps you watching with suspence and action and you cant get enough badasses in this one. Ichigo, the main character, seems like a normal boy, but later in the anime he becomes totally badass! AWESOME! Lots or gore and swords, so you guys who are into that, get ready for it in september on adult swim.

Oh btw, guess what? IM A GIRL. XD I'm a girl who loves gore and swords, imagine that! :animesmil Love to all---Kae-chan

i'd have to say
[B]Ouran high school host club [/B]
Although it doesn't sound as bad as actually is. But i love it, the whole idea of having slash characters in an anime, who actully do shouen Ai things just pleases me.

I find myself loving it even more, even tho i hate the whole shoujo, boy met girl, boy falls for girl idea, cos i think its way old and tired. But for some reason, ouran seems to slip that in and i find myself wanting to see a relationship between Haruhi and Tamaki. Honestly it's mad

Another one of my guitly pleasures, is [B]puni puni poemi[/B] i can't stand ecchi or girl based animes, and yet i find myself rolling over in laughter through out the entire thing. And even laughing at the ecchi jokes as well.

[COLOR=Navy]My guilty pleasure would be the the anime SuperGALS. It is a really cheesy girl kind of show. I usually enjoy more action and humor than some girly anime. It is funny though.

It deals a lot about fashion, boy troubles, basically being a girl, etc.

It is one of my favorite anime.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#99121c][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Oh god, I know what my one and only Guilty Pleasure is...Yu-Gi-Oh.

I can't say in how many ways I hated this show, it had horrible voice overs, horrible theme in my idea, just so many things that it would be to easy for me to loose count in. Yet for some odd reason I still watched it, I guess I could be because I am a [strike]whore[/strike] avid fan of giant monsters with destroying attacks that can cause massive damage...

Well I suppose I could say the exact same thing Beyblade, curse this weakness.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Hmmm...well I guess my guilty pleasure right now would probably be Naruto. Yes, I just can't seem to get enough of Naruto. The anime, the manga, and various other Naruto things. Especially the manga, I just can't seem to stop reading it over and over. And I watch the anime like every day, and the same episodes too. :animesigh I guess I just can't seem to get enough of Naruto^^[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=Blue]
Hmmm... Guilty pleasures. That's a hard one, especially because I love all anime... :catgirl: But here's one:
[B]Cutie Honey Flash[/B]. I [U]HATE[/U] this anime. :mad: I was living in Japan when it first came on (1999). It replaced Sailor Moon's time slot after the series ended. For me, a huge Sailor Moon fan, it felt as if Sailor Moon ended to let Cutie Honey Flash go on the air. The story line was so stupid. I think it was a remake of the original series from when my dad was young (1970s?). I think this remake was a huge failure. I can't remember any of the details now, not even the story line, but I remember that it had a lot of plot holes. I found it quite boring so that's probably why I've forgotten it. I used to watch it until I moved to Australia, just so that I could see its stupidity and laugh at it. But I guess I enjoyed it a little... Maybe a touch... :p That is a guilty pleasure I could never forgive myself for... :animeangr

[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue] [QUOTE=Dagger] There has to be some pleasure involved with you watching the series you choose to mention here, even if it means admitting that you have bad taste to the world. Or at least OB.

You also have to recognize the fact that the anime in question (either completely or kind of) sucks. It's not a guilty pleasure if there's nothing to be guilty about.[/QUOTE]Alright, time to admit my guilty pleasure, though since I?ve posted in the thread on it I suppose it?s not a new admission.

Anyway, mine would have to be Wedding Peach. Although it doesn?t completely suck, it?s definitely lacking in some area?s as it?s a bit clichéd in that there are a number of anime?s out there that have a similar format, but are equally as sucky. So it lacks originality in that respect.

And yet it spite of that I find that I enjoy watching the episodes and get a kick out of watching the corny love angels defending the love wave. Even the tacky British accent for some of the villains just can?t stop me from getting a kick out of this show. Or the cheesy voices for some of the main characters.

Ironically the very last season or rather OVA is where the series actually starts to shine as the main battle is out of the way and the new transformation sequences and music is much better than the rest of the show. And the episodes are some of the funniest in the entire show. So naturally at that point it ends. Usually it?s the other way around, a show starts good and ends poorly, instead of starting poorly and ending good.

Anyway, it?s enough of a guilty pleasure that I?ve collected the entire show on DVD and occasionally pull it out to watch again. And in spite of knowing it?s a bit sucky and corny I still like it the next time through. [/COLOR]

• 3 weeks later...
well, I would say Samurai 7, except that I'm VERY proud of my love for the show, even though it's not very popular. Um, my guilty pleasure would be (sigh) yes, Inuyasha. My friends make fun of me for being loyal to the show, even though the episodes are just spiraling into anti-climactic cavorting on an inconceivable level. But also, I know a lot of people would make fun of more for saying OBAN STAR-RACERS--I think it's great, and I like the characters, even though I had someone say to me yesterday that Oban is only one step above Disney.

[size=1][color=slategray]Oh... man... XD Most of mine are quite common, but, still.

[B]Sailor Moon[/B] has always been a HUGE guilty pleasure of mine. Ever since I was a younger kid, I was embarassed to watch it, but I soaked it up like a sponge. I was mainly anxious that one of my step brothers would catch me watching it, because they always mocked and ridiculed the show. Imagine what it would have been like if they caught me watching it. Haha.
I still watch Sailor Moon from time to time, rent the DVDs, buy a DVD randomly if I see one. Did you ever notice that [spoiler]bestiality and pedophilia played a ridiculously big role in the Pegasus saga? I mean, jeez. Mini Moon and Pegasus.[/spoiler] I was just watching one of my DVDs the other night and figured out how bad that actually was. To me, anyway.

[B]Dragon Ball Z[/B] was always a big one. I was thrilled when Toonami announced that they were showing the uncensored version. But then I sort of lost track, and when I went to watch it again, it wasn't on anymore. Either that, or it switched spots. I've been too lazy to check.

If this was for normal cartoons, I'd have to talk about [B]Totally Spies[/B], but, [I]technically[/I], I'm pretty sure that doesn't fall into the anime category. : P

Oh, wow. This is my 1,000th post. After three/four years. >> Go me.[/color][/size]

:love: Sorcerer Hunters...bad plot + over the top characters = One Big Guilty Pleasure
[color=#007520][SIZE=1][INDENT]ethriel21, we want you to have discussions at Otakuboards. To make it easier, don't post such short, pointless posts. ie. Expand on your posts. You can do this by telling us [i]why[/i] you think Sorcerer Hunters has a bad plot and over the top characters. Give us examples of this. Read the [url=http://otakuboards.com/rules.php?]rules[/url] before continuing to post. If you have any questions, PM me or any of the other moderators. ~Aaryanna[/INDENT][/SIZE][/color]

[quote name='Sangome][size=1][b]Mew Mew Power[/b'] - No, not the quality Tokyo Mew Mew anime or manga, I'm talking about the 4Kids hackjob. While it may not air anymore, and I still think it was horribly dubbed, I managed to wake up every morning to watch it, and somehow eeked some enjoyment out of it. A Sailor Moon ripoff? Maybe. One of the worst 4Kids dubs? Most likely. Guilty pleasure? Heck yes.[/size][/quote]
HAHAHA!!!!! i can't tell u how much i agree with Sangome!!!
Tokyo Mew Mew- YES!! it's sooo terribly dubbed, it's scary!! but since I like the fact that catgirls (ichigo) are in it, i still manage to get my lazy behind out of bed to watch it. altho, while watching it, my mind is going nuts how they should just make it subtitled lol. i take out a lot of guilty pleasure here! lol

[color=#007520][SIZE=1][INDENT]Did you really have to quote the entire post? I ask this especially because her post was longer than yours. I shortened it for you. PM me or any of the other moderators if you have any questions. -r2[/INDENT][/SIZE][/color]

I have to say BOBOBO-BO BO-BOBO is mine...You may think theres nothing worng with it but always makes me laugh so hard i need to my room & read to clam down down.I love this show...It's bad that Shonen jump only put out one thing of the manga...I always have something Bo-bobo in my head,like right i have the theme song in my head.

Guest Agent of God
My guilty pleasure? The American dub of [b]Yu Gi Oh[/b]. It is oft times melodramatic, some of the dub voices annoying and the plot just keeps spiraling out of control. The battles sometmes suffer from [b]DBZ[/b] syndrome ("Ah! I have you know!" "lol, trap card." "BUT HOW?") , but I love it. The wackiness of the characters, Joey's Brooklyn accent (even though they're in Japan), and the card battles make it one of my favorites.

Oh yes. And seasons One and Two of [b]Digimon[/b]. :D