OtakuBoards

Gifts and Curses

Vicky

[SIZE=1]Dani couldn't help but wonder if the ducks Quan had been feeding were dead or not by now. It didn't matter at all, really, Dani was just slightly curious he supposed. Or maybe he was trying to keep his mind of recent events, and events that were soon too be recent.

So this Cairo... whom Dani vaguely remembered... was getting on Quan's nerves, somehow. And there was to be another person in the picture. Quan's [i]sister[/i]. The maniac had a sister. Great. Two of them were waltzing around town now... if things weren't going to get worse, they were sure going to get interesting.

When Dani walked back to his house (was it even his anymore?) he wasn't surprised to see Charles sat on the porch, smoking. Charles glanced up at Dani as he walked in the gate, gave what Dani thought was an evil glare. Dani reacted with an equally distasteful sneer.

[B]"You're still here?"[/B] he spat.

Charles relaxed, though his hand was resting closely next to a knife. [B]"Well I ain't goin' anywhere else 'til I'm told to."[/B]

[B]"Right, then go home."[/B]

[B]"You're no boss o' me."[/B] Charles grinned. Dani was standing in front of him by now, Charles blow a mouthful of smoke out in Dani's face. Dani squinted, feeling like a cigarette himself. The only problem was, he didn't have any.

[B]"Aren't you going to share those?"[/B]

[B]"Ah, now, why'd I do that?"[/B]

Dani glanced from his house and back down to Charles. [B]"Because you're staying at my home and what I say goes. I'm not the boss of you, but I still know where the booze is. I still know where the towels are. I still know which room you're sleeping in if you don't be [I]nice[/I]."[/B]

He saw Charles' eyes narrow at the mention of 'nice'.

[B]"There's no point keepin' this up, Charlie-boy. You wanna get along, that's fine, fact it's a real good idea. You wanna be a silly dick, that's fine too. Just remember it's my house. You'll be sleepin' in the cupboard if I say so."[/B]

Charles was reluctant, he was glaring at Dani with distaste and somewhat confusion. He seemed to be weighing up his options, though the man wasn't dumb. He held out a packet of cigerettes to Dani without a word, Dani took one with a grin. Charles still didn't reply to Dani.

[B]"Want so 'ard, wassit?"[/B] Dani smirked.[/SIZE]

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[SIZE=1][color=#4B5B5B]A few hours later, Juliet found herself waking up on the couch. Drowsily, she looked around and noticed that Zane was flipping through channels. When she sat up, Juliet grabbed her throbbing head and groaned. When she opened her eyes, she saw Zane with a crooked smile and leering eyes.

[B]?That?s quite the trick you came up with, Juliet.?[/B]

Juliet looked at him with a confused look on her face and asked, [B]?What trick??[/B] She then became skeptical and alert. [B]?What did you do to me, Zane??

?[i]I[/i] didn?t do anything.?[/B] He replied as he shifted in his position. [B]?It was all you, Juliet.?[/B] The look in her eyes said she still didn?t know what happened, Zane chuckled and said, [B]?You don?t have a damn clue what happened?do you??[/B] This time, Juliet not only looked at him with wondering eyes but also one of viscosity. Zane took this as a hint and continued on, [B]?Somehow you managed to create this black snake that was about as big as this house, probably would?ve been bigger if it wasn?t for the house. It spoke, as well. Started saying something about how we don?t know who we?re dealing with and things like that. It was entertaining really; it disappeared after Charles threw a ball of fire at it.?[/B]

Juliet kept a collected look about her as she stood up. She knew she could create snakes from her powers but didn?t realize she could conjure up one that spoke and was about the size of a house- maybe bigger. It baffled her and yet it amazed her; the extent of her powers were limitless and yet still undiscovered. Juliet couldn?t even begin to think of the possibilities of her powers.

When Juliet took her mind off of her powers, she realized her muscles felt tense and tightened. It felt as though she?d been on the couch for days, when only it had been a few hours. Juliet stretched, exhaling loudly as she relaxed her muscles. She looked around the living room and noticed that Charles wasn?t in the house.

[B]?Where?s Charles??

?Outside, I s?pose. Don?t know if he?s still around the house or not.?[/B]

Growling slightly under her breath, Juliet walked quickly towards the front door and opened it, only to find Charles on the porch steps and Dani standing against a column with an unlit cigarette in his hand. Juliet crossed her arms and sighed exasperatedly.[/size][/color]

[font=Arial][size=2]OOC: No probs with the characteristation, only1. Just keep in mind that Cat was 12 and Bella is 19, so their maturity levels will differ. ^.~

[/size][/font] [center][font=Arial][size=2]__

[/size][/font] [left][color=DarkGreen][font=Arial][size=2]Bella sucked her thumb, feeling vaguely like a baby, and stared at the boy across from her. What was [i]wrong[/i] with her? She was acting so strangely for her, almost as if her actions weren't [i]quite[/i] her own. She would [i]never[/i] have previously discussed the freak-of-nature stunts that she could pull, but now it was blurting out of her like she had no secrets in the world.

The slightly sarcastic Iceman comment was more like her, but she still wasn't sure where it had come from.

Bella was silent for a minute more. The situation here tonight had been strangely tense. She had been sensing undercurrents that she didn't understand, and there was something there that she was sure had happened that had almost been...about her...

A lightbulb clicked in her head. She straightened up a little, her face changing ever so slightly. Those who knew her would know that she was calculating exactly what to say for maximum impact, but this poor guy would have no clue what was coming, particularly after the complacent silence.

"Did you kill her?" She asked with simple viciousness.

The boy, Eddie, visibly jumped. He looked away, nervous. "What...what did you say?"

"Did you kill her? The girl?" She smiled slightly at his surprise. "It's a funny thing, you see. Until about four days ago, I was perfectly normal. Then two things happened. I almost drowned in my spa bath, and when I woke up the next morning, I could do...things. I leave home, and somehow randomly end up here, where everyone is just a little bit nervous and there's this [i]girl[/i] whose name they avoid saying...

"And you," Bella continued, "You seem to be the most messed up about it. Which leads me to a natural, albiet sinsiter, conclusion. You were involved in her death." She said this all quite calmly, trying to let the boy react without any other sort of pressure from her.

He went white. She nodded. "Tell me, then. What could she do? What was her power?"

He took a breath and said, "She had power over water. If she was angry, water vents would explode, that sort of thing. That's what you have, isn't it?"

Bella shook her head, frowning. "No, not quite. See, maybe she was younger, or maybe her powers weren't quite so...volatile. But for me, water vents don't explode when I'm angry -- they do it when I'm mildly annoyed." She moved so she was sitting with her legs up, chin propped against her knees. She avoided his gaze. "When I'm [i]angry[/i], I drown people...

from the inside out." She took another deep breath. "That's why I left home. I almost killed my mother." Her frown was deep and she couldn't stop herself from doing it. Instead, she looked at her thumb again, then at Eddie. "Don't worry, Eddie. I know what it's like to be dangerous."
[/size][/font][/color][/left]
[/center]

[SIZE=1][B]?I?d be very glad to accompany you on an early morning ride Dorian.? [/B]Eden smiled and winked at him, she seemed to become somewhat hyperactive without sleep. Dorian appeared to be generally happy that she had accepted his invitation. Eden felt she needed to get out of their place for a while and what a better way to do it then to go riding with a friend. He loved the city at night, the lights and everything, she just loved it.

The two wasted no time in hopping onto Dorian motorbike and taking off down the street. He sat at the front of course, Eden at the back, her arms tightly around his waste. She had blushed rather badly when he had told her to do so but she couldn?t help it. Luckily the darkness of the night and her hair had obscured her cheeks. But didn?t Dorian have control over darkness? Maybe he saw, maybe he didn?t, and either way she didn?t much care. Eden had found herself beginning to like Dorian more and more even though her mind told her that it was stupid, she didn?t even know him.

As they rode around town Eden found herself smiling more and more, she loved this; she hoped Dorian felt the same way.
[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]
[B]-Sorry for the inanely short post but I needed to get something down, I?ll edit this later [/B][/COLOR]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][B]"Damn."[/B]
Brian cursed and sighed as he looked at the time on his watch. He had set it to go off at nine o' clock, but he's such a heavy sleeper, it didn't bother him. The morning sun eventually became so bright, (since there weren't any blinds on the windows) that he was forced to wake up around 11:00am to an empty house. Of course he could have just waited there for someone to come back, but Brian was really hoping to start bright and early to search for Beth and the other missing zodiac. However, if he left by himself, he'd most likely get lost since he didn't live here like the others did. In the end, his impatience got the better of him; He put on his pants, freshened up as much as possible, and tried to get his hair to lay flat without the use of water. It was no use so he headed out, noticing several new holes in the floor where Eddie was sleeping the night before. [I]"More renovations,"[/I]
Brian hadn't bothered to pay attention when Eden was driving him to the house, so it didn't take too long before he decided that he was officially lost. He didn't care much, though because he realized that he ususally finds exactly what he's looking for. Within about an hour, he found himself at the police station and that's when it hit him: After they were all arrested, they had to fill out all kinds of forms and reports. So there should be a record of Beth's address somewhere. [I]"It's worth a shot."[/I]
The police department must have gotten at least one brawl a day, because when Brian walked in there were a group of four or five thugs sitting in the exact same spot Brian and the others were less than a week ago. Upon entering, they all gave Brain a threatening glare like he was the one to blame. Despite all of their appearances, none of them intimadated Brian like Dani or Charles. Brian was actually surprised to see that neither one of them were there again.
[B]"Excuse me,"[/B] he said as he approached the front desk. A short hispanic lady turned around with an annoyed look on her face. She was filing her nails and chewing bubble gum very loudly. She blew a huge bubble before addressing Brian.
[B]"Whatcha want?"[/B]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brian was pissed as he exited the station. Perhaps he was so mad because he actually thought they would give him her address. No such luck. He crossed the street to the bus stop and paced back and forth before finally kicking the bench and cursing at this new pain that was rushing up his leg.
[B]"You done yet?"[/B] A feminine voice asked. It was deep and sent chills up his spine. In a way, it reminded Brian of Quan. He didn't turn around.
[B]"If you're that upset, I could always just give you the girl's address."[/B] He didn't see it, but the woman sounded like she was smiling.
Surprised at this remark, he turned to see a woman of medium stature in her 30s staring back at him through half framed glasses that drooped low on her nose. She had blonde hair that was pulled back, but Brian could tell it was long. She was wearing a business suit and seemed to pull a piece of paper out of nowhere.
[B]"That wasn' so hard was it?"[/B] she asked as she stepped forward and put the paper in his shirt pocket. She moved the glass up to their rightful position and gave a smirk of satisfaction.
[B]"Who are you?"[/B] were the only words Brian could muster up.
She ignored his question completely. [B]"But I wouldn't go to Beth's house if I were you."[/B]
[B]"Why not?"[/B]
The woman let a girlish giggle leave her lips. She was toying with him in the same way Quan did. [B]"Quan doesn't like it when people don't do what he asks. It infuriates him to know that he doesn't have control. I should say that Beth and a few others fell on his bad side."[/B]
[B]"How do you know Quan"[/B]
She sighed as though she were disappointed with his question. [B]"With all the news about the destruction of the Harlem Academy, you should be asking, 'who doesn't know of Therius Quan?' But if you must know, Quan and myself are unfortunate enough to share the same parents."[/B]
[B]"You two are related?"[/B] It didn't really surprise him. After all, she reminded Brian so much of Quan.
The woman ignored him again and grabbed his arm saying, [B]"Let's go for a walk."[/B]
They walked for nearly five blocks in silence before they turned into the main entrance of the park. [I]"Back to the start,"[/I] He thought.
[B]"Who are you?"[/B] He asked again
[B]"You already know who I am: Quan's sister. But if you're wondering my name, it's Tori."[/B]
[B]"What's Quan going to do to Beth?"[/B]
[B]"Why're you so full o' questions? Can't you just enjoy the sunny morning walk?"[/B] She was joking of course, but that didnt' keep Brian from giving here a strange look as though he didn't know if he was offended or scared of her comment. [B]"I suppose he'll kill her. There's no telling what kind of sick shit my little brother's into. She may still be alive, but I can't possibly know for sure. When she somehow got around Quan, avoiding moving into that crap-house of yours, she put a target on her back. So did the others."[/B]
[B]"So there are others?"[/B] he asked.
[B]"Of course there are. You knew that already. And before you ask, yes I have their names and where they're at this very moment. However, the one that's in immediate danger is a boy named Cairo. He's 'bout to get kidnapped and I don't think you have the resources to save him."[/B]
She was too much like Quan. Brian could tell that she was on his side, but she had certain attributes about her that he didn't like. She was constantly insulting and condescening.
[B]"Why are we having this converstaion then. If I don't have the recourses to save him, then what are you talking to me for?"[/B] Frustrated, Brian practically yelled this.
[B]"Good question. I'm not sure myself. Jus' thought you looked like you could use someone to talk to. Don't worry, none of you have the resources to prevent his kidnapping, but there is a way to prevent his murder in my favor."[/B]
They were now passing the lake in the center where a large crowd was gathering around the shores. There were several men in uniform picking up dead ducks and putting them in a container in the back of a truck. Little kids were crying and clinging to their mother's leg.
[B]"Well then, how do we stop his murder?"[/B]
[B]"Another good question. While my brother is addicted to pain, it makes him predictable."[/B] Tori said as she sat down on the bench only two feet from one of the dead ducks. Brian was sure one of the men would ask her to leave the area, but they seemed to not even notice she was there. Brian sat next to her before she continued, [B]"But the rest of the zodiac, like you, are too wild. You're all filled with pointless emotions; some are affected by certain emotions more so than others and therefor everyone behaves differently. I can't tell who's going to be kidnapping him or where they'll be taking him,"[/B] she paused, looking at one of the corpses before continuing, [B]"I [U]can[/U] tell you that you'll need Dorian's help."[/B]
She stood up abruptly as though the conversation was over. Brian got up to follow her.
[B]"What're you doing?"[/B] Tori stopped and turned. She was annoyed again. [B]"Conversation's over. Find Dorian's your mission. Now go on before things get really messed up."[/B] She turned to leave again.
[B]"Wait!"[/B] He hollered back, [B]"You said that 'crap-house,' was what Quan wanted all of us into. So should we do the oppostie?"[/B]
Tori bagan walking towards Brian again. She put her arm around his shoulder and talked to him like he was a five year old. [B]"Someone just gave you a house and you want to return it? Of course you stay there. Ignoring Quan could be potentially problematic for ya. Besides, if you want a nice place to live, you should prolly talk to Eden for renovations."[/B]
She turned to leave again. Brian had so many questions that were still left unanswered. Tori must have sensed that so she turned for the last time and said calmly, [B]"You have an important role here. Starting with this conversation. Remember it and tell all your friends when you see them. And don't worry about Quan attacking you. If he makes a move, I'll know about it and come straight to you. But that's all I can say for now. Until we meet again."[/B]
Tori shook Brian's hand firmly before finally walking away, leaving Brian abandoned in a city that he couldnt keep from getting lost in. At least his objective just got a little easier: He only had to find Dorian. Still, he couldn't help but think of Beth, Cairo, or the other and how relaxed Tori seemed in the face of her, 'teammate' being killed off.[/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...
[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]"Want so 'ard, wassit?" Dani smirked. Charles bit back the strong urge to punch that smirk in, turning to stare out at the street. [i]How did I wind up doing this? How'd my plan get screwed over so bad?[/i] He shook his head, letting his cigarette burn down to a point where it would have burned his lip, if burning had had any effect anymore.

Juliet showed up as Dani leaned against the porch railing - cigarette unlit - and let out a sigh. Charles rolled his eyes, not turning around. "What do you want?" As long as she wasn't manifesting freaky snakes, he'd be...he'd be [i]nice[/i] he thought, hatefully, glaring at the sidewalk.

"What are you two doing, moping?"

Charles turned to glare up at her, instead of the sidewalk. "What, two blokes can't just have a bleedin' cigarette without it bein' called mopin' now? What's the world comin' to?" Juliet gave him a blank, annoyed stare which he tried to ignore, distracted by Dani.

Dani was patting his pockets, like he was looking for a lighter. Charles just grabbed the cigarette away, lit it off the end of his, and passed it back. Dani looked at his cig, grimacing. "You light that one with your blood?"

Charles spread his hands, holding them up so Dani could see the bandages all fastened securely. "No." At Dani's continued look, he managed a grin. "Scout's honor."

Juliet snorted. Somehow, she even made [i]that[/i] graceful. "You weren't ever a scout." She leaned against the doorframe. Dani turned, the sneer in his voice (the one that usually was there when he was talking to Charles) disappearing a bit.

"Don't leave the door open, I don't pay to heat the neighborhood, you know."

Juliet stepped out and let the door swing closed. Dani nodded, and returned to staring out at the street. Charles just sat in silence while Juliet voiced a question.

"Did you find Quan?"

Charles looked at Dani sharply. He'd been to see Quan? Figured...probably hadn't killed him, either...

Dani just nodded, silently smirking. Charles' hands twitched. He was just doing this to annoy-

"He was at the park, feedin' ducks."

Charles blinked. That hadn't been the reaction he was expecting. Judging from Juliet's look, it hadn't been what [i]she'd[/i] been expecting [i]either[/i]...

[/COLOR][/SIZE]

• 2 months later...
[SIZE=1][I]And we're back.[/I]

Dani took a drag of his cigarette, blowing out the smoke slowly through his nose. When he looked up to see the puzzled expressions of both Juliet and Charles, he screwed up his nose, slightly confused. Then he realised what he had said, waving his hand.

[B]"Oh, am sure the ducks're dead now or somet'. We ain't never buyin' food off 'im"[/B]

Charles rolled his eyes slightly, Dani just shrugged. It wasn't his fault Quan enjoyed feeding ducks poison. But, to be honest, he really should get to the point and tell the two something worth while about their situation. He took another drag, pondering if not for a moment, about how to word what he had found out and if he should at all.

[B]"Well? What went on?"[/B] Juliet prompted.

Dani frowned. [B]"Bastard has a Sister. Apparently she's a bit tough as well, I dunno, he seemed all scared of her and crap. I dunno."[/B]

[B]"You don't know much, d'you?"[/B] Charles spat.

[B]"Ah, shut the fuck up. Why don't you go an' talk to the wanker and see what you find out then?"[/B]

[B]"'Cause I'm not as stupid as--"[/B]

Juliet cut in with an overally heavy and loud sigh, causing Charles to stop with a tut. Dani was shaking his head - none of this was making their situation any better. He was living with a guy he despised, a snake girl, some weirdo he didn't know and Quan now had a sister out to get them. Or at least she would be out to get them if she had the chance. Things were getting more complicated.

[B]"You know what, fuck this,"[/B] mumbled Dani in a slightly smaller voice than usual. He got up, throwing the cigarette on the floor. [B]"I'ma goin' to sleep for awhile. You just think about what we're gunna do if Quan comes knockin' on my door, you just think about some sorta plan. I'll think of somet' later."[/B]

Really, he didn't know what he was talking about. He just knew at some point they all needed a plan of action. He pushed past Juliet and Charles into his house, closing the door and looking at the floor as he did.

Juliet glanced at Charles, or rather, glared. Charles blinked.

[B]"Wha?"[/B]

Dani heard Juliet and Charles muttering outside but he didn't pay any attention. Right now he wasn't feeling so good - he didn't know what it was. Nervousness, maybe, making him feel sick to the stomach. He immediately began to run up the stairs, walking to his room and mumbling words that didn't make sense under his breathe. When he got upstairs, he almost dived into his room, closing the door behind him with a deep gulp of breath.

This was where everything got complicated. This was where Dani didn't know what he was meant to be doing. This is where he didn't wish he was anything special.

Indeed, things were about to get very complicated for all their lives.[/SIZE]

[size=1][B]OOC:[/B] Glad to see this thing up and running. Why don?t we make this one hell of a kick-start to a hopefully good summer? >]

[color=#8B008B]Juliet leaned against a column and looked to the sky. From the corner of her eye she saw Charles sigh and lean back with his arms stretched behind him. Everything that had gone one for the past month or so had finally taken its toll and was slowly devouring every inch of Juliet?s sanity. Dani had just asked them to devise a plan against Quan, yet how were they supposed to do that when all Quan?s done was devise plans for them? He couldn?t even fathom what sorts of trickery Quan would be up to. Or his sister for that matter.

Angrily, Juliet slammed a fist against the column in front of her. Charles lazily opened an eye and watched lines of blood dripping down the white chipped wood. He could tell she was burning inside and that she wanted to let it out before it consumed her. Perhaps they were similar after all; both filled with a temper of sorts- one who controls it while the other manifests it into a force of power. Sighing, Charles lifted himself up and turned to walk back into the house.

[B]?Don?t get your panties in a bunch. Besides...ain?t much use poundin? away at that piece o? wood.?[/B]

Juliet scoffed. [B]?And you?d know a lot about that, wouldn?t ya??[/B] She clenched and unclenched her fist a few times before dropping it to her side. Without looking behind, Juliet began to walk away from the house.

[B]??Ey! Where you runnin? off to??[/B] Charles called after her.

[B]?I?ll be back, just try not to burn down the house while I?m gone.?[/B] Juliet replied as she waved her bleeding hand in the air and the other shoved in her jean pocket.

[center]+ + + + +[/center]

Somehow Juliet had walked herself to a small park. She could hear voices but couldn?t see the people; it was better that way. She sat on a swing set and rocked herself back and forth. Juliet looked to the grass in front of her, wondering about everything that had happened. It overwhelmed her but somehow it also made her understand more about herself than any other moment in her life- especially the moments with the quack doctor she was forced to see.

[B]?Even Quan had more answers than him and he had even less to say.?[/B] Juliet shook her head at the mere thought of Quan. [B]?Damn. What?ve you gotten yourself into, Juliet? Seems like your life?s just getting more and more complicated as the years grow older. Hell you?re even referring to yourself in third person; that?s got to stand for something.?[/B] She chuckled lightly but in an almost tired and delirious way.

Juliet held onto the chains and looked up to the sky. It was an old habit she?d picked up from her father when she was younger; probably her way of feeling like she was actually related to him.

[B]?We?re all in way over our heads but we can?t back out now...can we??

?No, I don?t think you can, my dear.?[/B]

In an instant Juliet jumped out of the swing and readied herself, fully alert. Someone was hiding in the shadows and either waited for her or followed her to the park; either way that person was there nonetheless.[/size][/color]

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR="DarkOrange"][SIZE="1"]Charles spit on the ground before turning to walk the rest of the way in. Burn down the house - yeah, right. That was kids stuff.

All the same, he was careful not to touch anything. Danni was irritable enough as it was. He didn't think the other would like his stuff turned to ash. He took the lighter of his suitcases, and padded off down the hall, peering through open doors curiously. Despite everything else - this was a halfway decent house. And if he was gonna stay...

He found was seemed to be a guest room, throwing his suitcase on the bed and ignoring the puffy cloud of dust the action caused, returning for his other belongings. He didn't bother to unpack, flopping down on the bed and staring at the ceiling, clearly thinking.

This was gonna take a little - no, a lot - of getting used to.[/SIZE][/COLOR]