OtakuBoards

Ahh, the good ol' days

Riceball

Now just think about it...

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Plum]Do you remember when Pokemon first aired and was the huge hit on America?

When Sailor Moon was the hottest show on Cartoon Network?

Before Dragonball Z went into Dragonball GT?

When Yugioh aired for its first time ever on Kids WB?

Before they stopped showing Megaman?

Handhelds of Pokemon yellow, red, and blue were the hottest thing?[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=DarkOrange]It's sad isn't it? How quickly time really goes. I really miss those days, no Pokemon is hated (well mostly hated) among the older audience who watch the very first episode.

Sailor Moon is now, Sailor who? I mean sure, people who are into anime know what it is and people who maybe have watched it have a faint memory of what it might be, it's not as well known as it used to be.

Hey anyone remember Hey You! Pikachu? It came free when you got the N64 with a Pikachu on it. I had that one, and let me say that the kid on teh commericals made it look easy. Pikachu is a serious slacker :animedepr

Pokemon was my favorite if you couldn't already tell. I still have all my TCG cards, but sadly I cant complete my collection because they don't sell the old packs anymore. :animesigh

I miss the old days, If only it were the 90's again :animesmil What are your experiences about anime in general??[/COLOR][/FONT]

Heh... just this evening, I started re-watching Sailor Moon S with a friend (good times).

Fun as it was to discover Sailor Moon and Gundam Wing for the first time, I can't say I miss the 90s that much. The thing is, any hobby is thrilling when you're first getting really into it, and it's natural to want to recapture the feeling you get when everything seems wild and exciting and new. There have been times when I've thought about how much fun it would be to forget everything I know about anime and get to discover it all over again.

But just as there are things about anime that I can't appreciate in the same way as I did when it was all brand new to me, there are things about anime that I simply wasn't able to appreciate when I first started watching it. So I think there's a fair trade-off involved here.

As for the state of anime in North America in general, I think we're in a pretty good place. When it comes to DVD releases, censorship is all but a thing of the past, and inexpensive box sets are becoming more and more prevalent. Netflix makes it easy and cheap to check out almost any licensed series under the sun, and regular DVD releases are inching closer and close to the quality of R2 Japanese DVDs. We're not in the middle of a licensing boom, like back in 2003 and 2004, but a steady stream of series is still coming over, and it seems like the market is starting to recover.

~Dagger~

[font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=gray]Oh man, the good 'ol days, huh?[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=gray]I missed [color=indigo]Teknoman[/color] - in all it's tech glory - when they used to show it on TV. I was so little when I saw the anime for the first time but I never forgot about it. I always remembered the crystal that Slade/Blade/Nick Carter/D-Boy - whatever name he went by since there's so many - carried with him in order to transform into Teknoman/Tekkaman Blade at any moment.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=gray]What made me mad, though, was when they cancelled the show halfway through. Man, if it wasn't for my memory of that great show throughout the decade, I would've fogotten all about it.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=gray]I don't wanna go any further talking about Tekkaman, heh. I bore enough people by talking about it. I'll just end my post by saying two things:[/color][/size][/font]

[color=gray][font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=indigo]1.[/color] The good ol' days were - in fact- the best days.[/size][/font][/color]

[font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=gray][color=indigo]2.[/color] God bless YouTube for bringing back the good ol' days. :animesmil[/color] [/size][/font]

[right][color=gray][font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=indigo]P.S.[/color] Anyone remember [color=indigo]Ronin Warriors[/color]? :D[/size][/font][/color][/right]

[right][font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=indigo]( T-Man )[/color][/size][/font][/right]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][QUOTE=Tekkaman][font=Century Gothic][size=2][color=gray]
[color=indigo]P.S.[/color] Anyone remember [color=indigo]Ronin Warriors[/color]? :D[/size][/font][/color] [/QUOTE]I remember it and I even have the series on DVD. ;) Which by the way has the original uncut version on it. Subbed only but I don't mind. I even prefer the name Samurai Troopers to the English one of Ronin Warriors.

It's amazing how much you think you adored a show until you grow up and watch it again. I now can't stand the dubbed version but I still enjoy the subbed one of Samurai Troopers.

I also remember catching Battle of the Planets on re-runs when I was a kid. Dorky as hell and yet my sister and me positively adored it. It was pretty amusing to pick up a few DVD's of it only to find out that it had been completely butchered. It sort of lost it's magic anyway as I grew up. But it was kind of fun to see just how much it had been changed from the original.

Also they did a re-make of it [I]Gatchaman[/I], and it was an excellent tribute to the original and very well done. I certainly enjoyed watching it. It put Battle of the Planets/Gatchaman, back into the category of the good old days.

Though if I were to really describe the good old days, well for me it would be more recent. About five years ago when I discovered the wonder's of subtitles. It certainly opened me up to quite a bit more anime, where before it was just a phase I had grown out of. And now it?s a phase I?ve grown back into. ;)[/COLOR]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Hmmmm.....well, there's really only one anime that comes to my mind when I think the "good ol' times", and that would be Dragonball Z. Now I know that there are a lot of Dbz hater's out there and all, but I really miss the thrill of the new's of a brand new Dbz episode airing that week. I would get all excited and stuff, but I really miss all that. But just as Dagger had said about the time's she wished she could completely forget everything about anime and discover it all over again, well, I have had time's that I have wished that as well. But then I really get to thinking about it, and I think about all the progress that i've made over the year's, and all the different anime that I have watched. And I think about it, and I realize that I wouldn't really want to start all over again and have to make all that back up and rewatch all those anime again. But alas, those really were some good time's back then. :animesigh [/COLOR][/SIZE]

The 90's... Oh how I miss them. Everything was so darned easy when I was a kid. :animedepr

Anyway, I have a lot of good anime memories from back then too. First of all there was Thumbelina. BEST MOVIE EVER. Well, it wasn't originally called Thumbelina. It wasn't even originally a movie. It was actually originally a 26 episode anime called "Oyayubi Hime" (or "Thumb Princess") done by Enoki Films that aired in Japan in 1992. My guess is that it must have been compressed into a movie when it was dubbed. Anyway, I absolutely LOVED that movie, and I watched it, like, every day when I was a toddler. Tee hee, I was brought up on anime. :D

After that I was obsessed with Sailor Moon, then with Pokemon. I did the Pokemon card thing and everything. One of those elementary school fads. Tee hee, that was hilarious, now that I look back on it... And then I was obsessed with Digimon. ^o^ Ha ha, what a great show. A little later I got into Yu-Gi-Oh for a while, but that wore off. Then I kinda had a break until I started watching Inu Yasha in grade 7.

Ah... What good memories. Of course, I've been exposed to many more diverse Animes since, through fansubs, but I will never forget my anime roots. :p

[font=tahoma]Ha, it dosen't seem like all that long ago to me. I can remember further back before I started even watching my first animes or playing pokemon. I wonder if anyone else used to watch a cool little show called [b]Pirates of Dark Water[/b]. It showed on CN for a couple of years, yet the series never finished. I loved that show, along with a bunch of other oldies but goodies like [b]Transformers[/b], [b]Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles[/b], and [b]Thundercats[/b].

That's the good ol days to me (I guess that makes me feel pretty old, eh?). I was in Junior High School when CN first started showing stuff like Sailor Moon and DBZ, though I guess since I have pretty close to a photographic memory it dosen't seem as long ago as it actually is. [/font]

GASP no one has mentioned digimon even once!!!!!! That was dot.//hack before it even existed. Honestly I think that anime was better than most mainstream stuff now(fma,flcl,inuyasha,ect...). This is probably the only series I miss. I still watch it sometimes and I always play the game. I sorta miss pokemon and such but non of those anime's really had the amount of depth digimon did and i'm upset it is now thought of as a series that ripped of pokemon. Now they have pretty much sold out and beame the image that people have tried to give it which is even more sad. Sigh good bye digimon. :animecry:

[quote name='Avenged666fold']GASP no one has mentioned digimon even once!!!!!! That was dot.//hack before it even existed. Honestly I think that anime was better than most mainstream stuff now(fma,flcl,inuyasha,ect...). This is probably the only series I miss. I still watch it sometimes and I always play the game. I sorta miss pokemon and such but non of those anime's really had the amount of depth digimon did and i'm upset it is now thought of as a series that ripped of pokemon. Now they have pretty much sold out and beame the image that people have tried to give it which is even more sad. Sigh good bye digimon. :animecry:[/quote]
You obviously missed it in my post then. ^^ I mentioned Digimon, and I agree with you, it was so awesome! And everybody thought it ripped off Pokemon... How terrible. :animedepr I LOVED that show.

I think I agree most with Dagger here. Nostalgia is rarely more than a poor way of dealing with dissatisfactions with the present. Over my years of watching anime there has been "an irreversible gain of truthfulness, of intellectual honesty, and therefore of objectivity." True, I've now lost something that I once had back in the day, a kind of naive immediacy with the stuff that I'm never going to regain, but I don't miss it much. The shows from my childhood that I once enjoyed in a fairly vague way - and I'm glad someone brought up Tekkaman Blade! it's the perfect example - now have to prove themselves much more substantially, but I'd say that I appreciate them all the more for it. As I've said before, if it's to mean anything at all beyond just being a "fad" then anime must become [i]entertainment[/i], not mere diversion. To entertain, in its original sense, means to [i]maintain[/i], to keep in shape and continually replenish, which is worlds away from something that just pleases us and gives us a break on life (diversion: "to turn away"). That means taking anime [i]seriously[/i], putting as much honesty to ourselves and the shows as possible. And, if I can say this without sounding too cynical, I don't see many signs for hope on this happening... frankly, the future of anime "consumption" over here looks more and more like shounen over-drama and moe without end.

On the other hand, if we're talking about comparing the [I]quality[/I] of domestic releases and broadcasts, I think it can be shown pretty clearly that things have done nothing but improve since the '90s. Hell, half the time the English dubs are better acted than the original Japanese! Although, this says less about the improvement of our voice acting, more about the degradation of theirs. But for me this isn't really the major question to be asked.

Yes, the good ole days when I was the only kid in the neighborhood--besides my cousins that knew what anime was.

One of my first obsessions was Ranma 1/2. I loved it so much. The tv series were so crappily animated but I thought it was funny. I looked forward to getting those flimsy Viz Video catalogs in the mail that had 90% Ranma in it, and like, 5 manga titles. hehe.

I missed being a kid during those days, but that's about it.

I think it's much better now. Don't have to pay an arm and a leg for much anime, much of it's on tv or downloadable through Internet. And you don't have to drive 100 miles to find a store that sells anime/manga.

[quote name='medafunk']You obviously missed it in my post then. ^^ I mentioned Digimon, and I agree with you, it was so awesome! And everybody thought it ripped off Pokemon... How terrible. :animedepr I LOVED that show.[/quote]
Hey your right my bad. And yes it is terrible. Im glad I have another person that agrees.

• 2 weeks later...
My favorite moments in the ol' days was to get up at 7:00 a.m., go to the living room, and turn the t.v. to Fox to watch shows like beast wars, the first season of digmon, and all the show until it end. Than it turn to the fox box and that was cool but not as cool as foxkids. Finally it is now 4kids t.v and i think it is the worst one of them all.

[font=Times]I believe one of my first anime was indeed Pokemon. Started watching it day one when it came to the U.S. I was hooked; similar to that guy from Texas Chainsaw Massacre (blunt: the meat hook). Eventually, I decided that I was sick of Ash's face and quit watching.

[b]My favorite old school anime[/b]

Samurai Troopers - I used to watch this [i]every single time[/i] it was aired. I couldn't get enough of this series, and was disgruntled when it was taken off. I miss that choppy animation and bad dubbing...

Gundam Wing - I used to watch this [i]every single time[/i] it was aired. Yep, I'm so into repeats I just copied my statement from above.

I don't know, I'm coming up blank on picks after those two. I'm content.[/font]

[QUOTE=Riceball]Now just think about it...

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Plum]Do you remember when Pokemon first aired and was the huge hit on America?

When Sailor Moon was the hottest show on Cartoon Network?

Before Dragonball Z went into Dragonball GT?

When Yugioh aired for its first time ever on Kids WB?

Before they stopped showing Megaman?

Handhelds of Pokemon yellow, red, and blue were the hottest thing?[/COLOR][/FONT]

??[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

I KNOW!!! This is so ridiculous that they cancelled sll of these really good shows! I still like sailor moon, and nothings gonna stop me from continuing to watch megaman. i really liked pokemon when it started airing as well. *sigh* Well, at least there's always megaman and sailor moon dvds to memorize....

Ah yes...

First of these memories came Pokemon. It was mid-1999 when I first saw it on UPN. I remember setting the alarm on my watch to 3:30 because that was when Pokemon came on. Also, that was also how I got into Sailor Moon; Sailor Moon was on right before Pokemon was. Unfortunately, I only saw ten or so episodes of that before it went off-air...

When I first heard about Digimon, I first thought it was a ripoff of Pokemon... but then a year later I became a big fan of it (well duh--where do you think my username came from?)

Another good old TV anime I remember is Cardcaptors. I would watch it whenever I could, but then they stopped airing it... :bawl: And, when it went off the air, Yu-Gi-Oh replaced it. Now, when Yu-Gi-Oh first came out, I thought it was a ripoff of Cardcaptors and thus boycotted it for a while. Then later I got into it, fell in love with Pegasus and the first season in general, started collecting the cards... and as I speak (err, type) I am wearing a T-shirt with Seto Kaiba and a Blue-Eyes White Dragon on it.

Hey, who says Fox Box and 4Kids TV sucked? I watched it all the time, and still do. I was a big fan of Fighting Foodons in the Fox Box days, but my favorite is and always has been the Kirby series. Well, I was interested in the Kirby video games before I became interested in Pokemon, so Kirby really was the start. And then there was one week ago where I saw the last episode of the Kirby season... *sniff* I hope that still airs... But oh well, if that is off the air as of now, I still have Magical DoReMi... and the first season of Yu-Gi-Oh is on 4Kids TV now! Yaaaaaaay!

But my all-time favourite was always Pokemon... The Pokemon anime, especially, is not the same anymore. The first season is my favourite season, and contains all my favourite characters (except Harley--who is one reason why I sort of like the newest seasons)... And then of course I groaned when I saw the new Pokemon coming in Diamond/Pearl... (well, except Muumaaji which is my new favourite Pokemon) Things are not the same anymore...

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1][FONT=Tahoma]Yeah, I remember the good days back when Pokemon was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I even remember when McDonald's had those toys where you put your Pokemon into those plastic Pokeballs and you hang them onto your belt loops.... everyone thought it was so cool, they had bunches of them hanging on their pants. It was funny really because I remember I had billions and people woud think I was cool... now, I'm just a nerd. XD

But anyway... yeah, I miss those shows like [B]Thundercats[/B] and [B]Sailor Moon[/B]. I used to watch them everyday and love what each episode was dishing out. I especially used to adore [B]Pokemon[/B].... anyone remember the Poke Rap song? I would totally memorize each and every song, thus having me cursed with knowing every single old Pokemon on the planet. XD

Remember when [B]Fullmetal Alchemist[/B] started out? It was about two years ago and I was at Walmart, looking around at the Anime DVD sections when I saw a half- naked blonde haired boy with a mechanical arm on the shelves. I picked it up and looked at it, thinking to myself, "Wow... this looks like it's going to be one of those greatest hits of all time..." And then, it was, what with the whole FMA fad going on, people obssessed and buying any FMA product they can grab, crying over what they had to go through, etc.

Now, seeing that FMA is already over... I feel kind of sad because it's been a great ride watching those two grow up. I'm a fanatic over this show and I feel that it is one of the greatest shows ever... I miss it when it first came out. Now it feels as if it's one of those 'oldies but goodies" type, which makes me feel as if sooner or later, no one is going to really remember FMA as we used to.

Sad, isn't it? ; - ;

Oh I almost forgot... don't forget [B]Rurouni Kenshin[/B]! I remember when that show was totally kick *** when it came to CN, thus changing the view of anime in all of America watching it.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

I can't believe someone mentioned Pirates of Darkwater the first season of that show was awesome don't know if it falls into the anime category or not but it was good. My first foray into anime was of course Akira back in the 80's me and a buddy rented it back in our high school days and watched it unfold the animation and story were just pure genius to us.

I watched all the standards as well Dragon Ball, Transformers, Macross and in the 90's MS Gundam + W/Z/X, Samurai Pizza Cats, Yu Yu Hakusho, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Outlaw Star, DBZ, Tenchi, DBZ and many more. It was a good set of years I still watch a handfull of these shows from time to time but I tend to focus more on the new stuff now it's not forgotten just set aside for a rainy day.

Does anyone remember the big anime production for the US in the early to mid 90's a mini series shown weekly for a month or so called Invasion USA or Invasion Earth? That little series remains one of the big influences in me watching so much of what I do today.

[color=black]I haven't watched that many animes over the past years due to school and life in general, but I do miss the good ol' days of the Pokemon craze.[/color]

[color=black]I remember going to middle school where everybody was into the Pokemon games where people battled and traded pokemons with each other in the Red/Blue version of the gameboy games. Also, once people brought their trading cards to school, insanity occurred with people arguing over who's pokemon is stronger, kids beating up each other for rare cards, and people attempting to sell thier cards for money.[/color]

[color=black]As for the cartoon show, I admit I was a big fan of the show when it first started. Watching Ash slowly rise in the Pokemon world was fun and adventurous. To me, the show had a lot of variety whether he was battling a gym leader, rescuing a pokemon from danger, or defeating team rocket over and over again. However, I started to lost interest after the first few seasons when things just got to repetitive and when Ash started to let all his old pokemons go away in place of new pokemons. Squirtle was the coolest and most charismatic pokemon that should of stay with him forever. :animesmil [/color]

[color=black]Other shows that I remember enjoying were mostly American cartoons, such as [b][font=Tahoma]Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Batman/Superman[/font][/b], and [b][font=Tahoma]Ninja Turtles[/font][/b]. All of these shows are classics and I miss seeing them everyday. [/color]

[color=black]Luckily anime have become really big these days with all types of shows to choose from. I've only seen more of the popular mainstream stuff like [b][font=Tahoma]Naruto, Bleach, Full Metal Alchemist[/font][/b] and I enjoy them all. As for what I've of been watching lately, I just recently got a chance to watch a good old classic boxing anime known as [b][font=Tahoma]Hajime no Ippo[/font][/b]. I've watched up to 10 episodes so far and I love the characters and all the struggles that boxers have to go through everyday. Good times indeed.[/color]

My Good ol days were between middle school and High school when i would come home at 2:30 and see monster rancher and then Pokemon of course back in the early ninties they also had alot of great aniem on saturdays Mon colle knights, Flint the time detective,Medabots, and even though it not classified as an anime Super mario brothers 3 and world. of course now with american cartoons really falling on bad times and most channels that had cartoons on weekday afternoon stop showing cartoons now i can always get a great anime fix from Naruto, Zatch bell, Mar, Fullmetal alchimist,...Pokemon, and one of my all time favorites FLCL.

Of course like most people i have not forgotten where i came from i still love all the classics like Tiny Toon adventures, Animaniacs ,Teenage mutant Ninja turtles 90'S version,Transformers, Tom and Jerry, looney tunes, Darkwing duck ,chip and dale's rescure rangers, Tale spin, ducktales, and so on and so forth with all the classic cartoon i've seen i could go forever. But anyway it's always great to talk about the good ol days.

[QUOTE=Nefertimon]Ah yes...

First of these memories came Pokemon. It was mid-1999 when I first saw it on UPN. I remember setting the alarm on my watch to 3:30 because that was when Pokemon came on. Also, that was also how I got into Sailor Moon; Sailor Moon was on right before Pokemon was. Unfortunately, I only saw ten or so episodes of that before it went off-air...

When I first heard about Digimon, I first thought it was a ripoff of Pokemon... but then a year later I became a big fan of it (well duh--where do you think my username came from?)

Another good old TV anime I remember is Cardcaptors. I would watch it whenever I could, but then they stopped airing it... :bawl: And, when it went off the air, Yu-Gi-Oh replaced it. Now, when Yu-Gi-Oh first came out, I thought it was a ripoff of Cardcaptors and thus boycotted it for a while. Then later I got into it, fell in love with Pegasus and the first season in general, started collecting the cards... and as I speak (err, type) I am wearing a T-shirt with Seto Kaiba and a Blue-Eyes White Dragon on it.

Hey, who says Fox Box and 4Kids TV sucked? I watched it all the time, and still do. I was a big fan of Fighting Foodons in the Fox Box days, but my favorite is and always has been the Kirby series. Well, I was interested in the Kirby video games before I became interested in Pokemon, so Kirby really was the start. And then there was one week ago where I saw the last episode of the Kirby season... *sniff* I hope that still airs... But oh well, if that is off the air as of now, I still have Magical DoReMi... and the first season of Yu-Gi-Oh is on 4Kids TV now! Yaaaaaaay!

But my all-time favourite was always Pokemon... The Pokemon anime, especially, is not the same anymore. The first season is my favourite season, and contains all my favourite characters (except Harley--who is one reason why I sort of like the newest seasons)... And then of course I groaned when I saw the new Pokemon coming in Diamond/Pearl... (well, except Muumaaji which is my new favourite Pokemon) Things are not the same anymore...[/QUOTE]

Pokemon. I loved Pokemon.
I was the Pokemon Queen at age 9 when all this stuff was hot.
I have over like 400 cards, the movies and the games.
I remember when I'd wake up early to see Pokemon on UPN 44 or Sailor Moon after it.
I'd be like half asleep but i was totally addicted. I first started on anime though with Totoro, I had it when I was really really little on VHS. I watched that tape tons of times. I recently looked into CCS to see what the deal was and saw it in Japanese...So much better than the english. Li-kun's sooooooooo cute.
I was also a Digimon addict when I was younger, Gatomon and Patamon were my favorites and I still have the beanie babies of them. I wubbed them and Digimon, that stuff's not going anywhere ;)

[COLOR=DarkRed][quote name='AnimeHeroX']Of course like mopst people i have not forgotten where i came from i still love all the classics like Tiny Toon adventures, Animaniacs ,Teenage mutant Ninja turtles 90'S version,Transformers, Tom and Jerry, looney tunes, Darkwing duck ,chip and dale's rescure rangers, Tale spin, ducktales, and so on and so forth with all the classic cartoon i've seen i could go forever. But anyway it's always great to talk about the good ol days.[/quote]I was racking my brain trying to think of the good ol days since I didn't really watch a lot of anime when I was younger, but Tale Spin, Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, Gummy Bears and Chip and Dale's rescue rangers were shows I watched every chance I got.

I just loved Darkwing Duck with his I am the terror that flaps in the night and Talespin with Don Karnage and his future victim person sayings. Those were good times I just loved watching those shows. It?s great to see them finally being released on DVD. [/COLOR]

[color=blue][size=1]I don't really think about it at all, mainly because all the anime I watch are all the animes that I've recorded off of Cartoon Network. And most of them are fairly old. Well, I take that back. I have my share of old with DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho, and G Gundam. (if those are really that old?) Sometimes I do wish CN would put Ronin Warriors back on for one last time, just so I could record them. (I have a lot of VHS tapes in my stash for recording animes and whatnot :animeswea )

Then there's Rurouni Kenshin, Cowboy Bebop, and Trigun for the midway. And Ghost in the Shell: SAC, IGPX, FMA, Samurai Champloo, and Samurai 7 for the new. So yeah, I don't really become all that nostalgic about animes since I don't really have much access to new animes. I can only watch my stash at the moment, which isn't much.[/color][/size]