OtakuBoards

MySpace

Pumpkin

[COLOR=#503F86]I do very little with MySpace, really, so it doesn't bother me. I've managed to avoid all the emo-ness associated with it. I only have friends I know on my list and I don't care if anyone comments or not. I've had a blog for years anyway, so that phase has long since passed, heh.

It's just the first blog site to become mainstream, really. Tha's why everyone's all emo over it. I did when I first had a blog, too. Nothing special.[/COLOR]

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a fad wanna know why?

People and teenagers are getting fired from their jobs and getting kicked out of colleges for stuff they have on their myspace profiles. Sooner or later everyone will simply tire of this fad and move on to the next internet phase.

well sure that always happens, but I'm dreading what is gooing to replace it. It can only be something more mindless and gets people more distracted. Why can't anything popular on the Internet be mentally stimulating?

wait a minute...I've found it here :animesmil

[SIZE=1]This became useful for the police department in which I got a tip from a local employee that they actually look up your myspace to dig up dirt about you. I know this is true because the man that was going to hire this one girl for security control at my work, is in question of whether not to be hired because it says on her myspace how much she loves weed and doing other drugs. Not exactly, an ideal candidate for controlling security within a store.

So if you ever write a blog about your work, just warning you that they might actually check your myspace to see what your about. People are more open on their myspace, thinking that no one that lives around them can actually find their page, when all it takes is a click of a button. I just felt compelled to warn people.[/SIZE]

[size=1][URL=http://www.myspace.com/itsyourpunishment]Clicketh[/URL], loverlies.

I do believe I've posted in this thread before, but whatever.

Yesh, I am a 15 year old female, so I must be very careful what I reveal to strangers on the internet. That is why, from my page, it is impossible to figure out anything about except that my name is JayCee, and vaguely what I look like.

I doubt that's enough for a stalked to find me from.

I only have a MySpace because I've lived all over the country, and I have found over 50 people that I never would have spoken to again otherwise. Yea I'm addicted, but only because I zero friends where I live, and a ton in other states.

Also, it's a good way to keep my site-designing skills sharp, seeing as I re-design my frontpage as much as physically possible.

Also, I do have to OtakuBoards members on my friends list. Hah, Gav is one on those lucky few.

Dragon Warrior, Aka Prom Crasher xP

Oh, and I hide my friend count. I hate people who use MySpace as an 'I have more friends than you!' place.[/size]

[SIZE=1]Smart move Sakurasuka. Glad to see not everyone is dumb enough to post personal stuff on there =)

What I really dislike about EmoSpazz (see above) is partly that which I just mentioned, and party because now pratically everyone I know who has one of these accounts think they know how to HTML. And for some reason, it gets right under my skin. I did an advanced qualification last year in ICT - 2 years ahead of when I should have got it. And one of the tasks was to "design a website for a business". But you couldn't use DreamWeaver or anything. It all had to be coded by hand into NotePad. I passed that exam. With flying colors. And now people think they know more then me about HTML when I spent 5 or 6 months coding by hand, when they just putting stuff into code generators for their EmoSpazz accounts. I'll bet every last brain cell that they don't even realise the basic of html - that every page has to start with and end with (XML is different). I'll stop ranting now as I can see I'm boring you

I am glad to announce that I finally got round to deleting my EmoSpazz account. Now the only place I can be found is here and a few other forums and games across the 'net. The only places where I should be found[/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...
DNAngel360 wrote this.
I'm just posting it.

Anybody happen to catch Nightline last night on ABC? In case you didn't, one of the hot topics discussed was MySpace. It is no secret to anyone who reads the newspaper or watches the 6 o'clock news that MySpace has been in the limelight because of "sexual predators" trying to "abduct and corrupt" the youth of the world. To this I say, wtf?! I see dozens of profiles a day showing 14 year old girls dressed like sl*ts, wearing four inches of make up and 32 layers of eyeliner, displaying their age as 18 years old and profile lines stating "Oh, I'm So Sexy" or "Hey There, Wanna Check Up On It?" Come the **** on! The youth of today's world are already corrupt enough due to the undying need to be "older" than they really are. I seriously doubt there are tons of people on MySpace stalking "innocent young girls" who just happen to have tramped up profiles and ages 4 years greater than their own.

On Nightline, there was a story of a 12 year old girl who was a drug-addict and attributed it all to MySpace. She claims that MySpace allowed her to easily fing drug dealers in her area, as well as older men to do it with. Now, at the age of 14, she has been checked into a drug-rehabilitation clinic and has been away from her family for 5 months. Her parents would rather place the blame squarely on the shoulders of MySpace instead of their daughter, who even admitted that at the age of 12, had already tried weed, crack, X, and had slept with numerous guys older than herself...but of course, it wasn't her fault, it was all because of MySpace.

Once again, COME THE **** ON! When are parents and children going to stop passing the blame and grow up enough to take responsibility for their actions and the actions of their children.. Parents, monitor your children online, take some responsibility for YOUR children. Children, if a profile name sounds like something that comes out of a cheap horror movie, like "DARK ANGEL OF DEATH WHO EATS THE BRAINS OF GIRLS"...chances are you DO NOT WANT TO ADD THEM AS A FRIEND. Apparently there is new legislation in Congress now to block MySpace in all public schools and public libraries across the United States. All because little girls want to act grown and don't want to accept the consequences and parents don't want to accept the fact that their "innocent little girls" are posing as 18 year old crack wh*res trying to buy drugs.

Eventually, if this continues, MySpace could be totally outlawed from the Internet. Restrictions will be put in place in order to make MySpace "safer". I don't know about you, but I use MySpace to keep in touch with my family and friends, use it for messages, and just to have a space that is my own. Just because some children want to act grown, does that mean I may have to eventually give up my MySpace? If you feel the same way I do, please, repost this in your blogs or bulletins, or both as "STOP BLAMING MYSPACE". If enough people post this and spread the word, maybe people will get the picture and stop blaming MySpace for every little thing that their children do wrong. As user of MySpace, we should all repost this and take some sort of action. This is not a chain letter, and nothing will happen to you if you don't repost this in 321654987 seconds. However, of all bulletins you will read today, I am sure that this one is the only one that actually has a point to it. So please, have some common sense, and repost this. Thanks.

Again, I did not write this.....
DNAngel360 did.

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=2][FONT=Trebuchet MS]I agree, this thread needed to be placed into the 'Myspace' thread. Next time just be sure to look for a similar thread before posting. I'm leaving this open for discussion for now.
~ Pumpkin [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

yup the reason why i wrote this is because me and my sis are sick and tired of myspace taking all the blame because of these people they are going to take myspace out probably and it is the only place where i can just be me on it and make friends and meet old ones i also keep in touch with my family on it

I hate the perverts who prey on underage MySpace users, but some blame has to go on the parents and the kids. You should not post real information about yourself unless you are ready to deal with all possible consequences.

To the kids out there, when your parents ask you to delete your MySpace account, do you think they are doing it because they hate you? Of course not. They just want you to be safe on the internet. It annoys to no end when my mom asks ten million times a day, "Are you staying safe?" but I know she does it because she worries about me. You see, I can accept the fact that she annoys me while still understanding her.

I have no idea what is wrong with the twelve-year-olds who [B]try[/B] to attract internet perverts. It's usually a sign of a deeper problem, though. If you are a child with a MySpace account, please be careful about what information you show. Anyone can make their own account with fake information. The nineteen-year-old college student you talk to might be what he says, or he might be someone who wants to harm you. It isn't that you cannot have online friends, it is just that you need to practice caution.

Regarding the "kids wanting to be older" part, that, in my opinion, is merely a manifestation of American culture. We have some generally contradicting values. Personally, I have no clue about why everyone wants to mature so fast. (Actually, I have no idea why people do most of the stuff they do...)

Once upon a time there was a place called Columbine. Two kids killed 14 other kids along with themselves. The blame was placed on a man named Marylin Manson.

Several murders by young adults have been attributed to a video game called Grand Theft Auto.

In the seventees Tipper Gore tried to blame violence on metal music and thus the Explicit Content sticker was born.

People ALWAYS blame the problems with America on the products they create themselves, because they have their heads to far up their ***** to realize it's their own doing. They think they're perfect - that they're right - the problem can't be their fault, so it must be someone elses. The choices are obvious to them. Every problem with the wworld has been seen before -- history repeats itself because people don't learn. Only the smart people realize that they are to blame for all the world's problem, as is everyone. Until people get over the belief that they cannot be wrong, and maybe start caring about the welfare of the word outside their lives, they could see this.

God praise that day >_>

[SIZE=1]Something gives me the feeling that this should've been put into the MySpace thread that [I]already exists[/I].

In the end, MySpace does have to take some of the blame for these things, as they are providing a system, unintentionally of course, through which this sort of thing can take place. But in that sense they're no different from any chatroom, message board or blog service on the internet - things like this could happen through any and all of them. Still, Myspace really need to take a stronger stance on underage users and other violations of their terms and conditions, especially when the violation is so blatantly obvious.

Inevitably, the people themselves are the only ones who can really be held responsible for their actions, but they can only act according to the freedom they're given. MySpace unfortunately gives them that freedom - and though that doesn't place all of the blame on them, it sure as hell doesn't clear them of responsibility either.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Though MySpace does have some responsibility in this issue, it's not as if they encourage this sort of behavior, so I agree that the blame should not be placed on their heads alone. But the fact of the matter is it's much easier to blame the MySpaces of the world rather than find and reveal the true root of these people's problems. Of course, this is competely ineffective, as there will [I]always[/I] be services such as MySpace, and there will [I]always[/I] be problems like this. But that's just the way things are.[/SIZE]

[size=1][color=slategray]Child Predators are everywhere, there isn't really a way to stop it, and there is no set way to avoid it. People need to deal with it, there are people with needs and fetishes that society calls sick.

A majority of teenage girls do act and dress like sluts, because they have hormones off the wall and there are a lot of influences out there that make them think they have to be like that. And girls want boyfriends, and they know how to get them. It's called manipulation. Generally these girls think they won't be preyed on by these Child Predators because most people have the "Oh, that happened in California, it won't happen to me, blah blah." attitude. So, I can see where people are coming from when they say these are innocent girls. Yet, I think some of them should wise up.

If people are blaming those already well acknowledged subjects, that are indeed quite obvious, then that is their fault, and it sucks to be MySpace. But at least MySpace is getting coverage, whether bad or not, more people will join because of it.

By the way, I only use MySpace to listen to music. Which was basically the site's main purpose in the first place. Go free music.[/color][/size]

Guest Stargirl Washu
I have a MySpace and I am not addicted to it.

I use it as another e-mail passage way.

Then there are those girls from High School that bullied me that use it... ¬.¬' Trying to add me. They still try and add me... "GIVE IT UP" I say to them!

[QUOTE=Pumpkin][SIZE=1]
So now I ask you OB members, do you have a myspace? What is your opinion and most importantly who introduced you to it? [/SIZE][/QUOTE]

i do

it's alright. too addictive.

uhhhh i think on my own... but now i have 152 friends... i kinda introduced my friends to it lol

[FONT=Arial]Yeah, I have a myspace. I've been waiting for my parents to interrogate me about the internet and lecture me about predators or whatever. I'm not stupid. I know how to handle something like that. My profile doesn't share any important information at all. It says I'm ninety-nine, that I live "not in finland" and my hometown is "nightmares," that I'm two inches tall. It doesn't have any contact information (I hardly use the email address I signed up with), and yes, it has pictures. I don't see how pictures can put me in danger if there's no way anyone knows where I am. The only problem is that my profile isn't private due to the age of ninetynine, and the majority of my 9real life) friends list their actually location. I'm thinking about putting my age around one or two, if it will let me do that, so I eliminate this idea. I also don't like to friend people I haven't met in real life unless I've known them previously. The majority of my friend requests come from bands, though.

I use myspace because it can relieve boredom, and it's a way to leave friends notes that they can read, because I might not have their email address or whatever. I also use it for music, and I often leave comments for my favorite bands to (hopefully) read. Since I try to maintain a band, it's useful for that sort of thing.

[SIZE=1]Holy crap. I have 666 profile views on 6/6/06. =([/SIZE][/FONT]

I hate myspace... I refuse to register at the place.

Why? I just get a bad feeling about the place. (That and my dad blocked it on the router!)

I just never get a good feeling about places like myspace or hi5 or the likes... I will never register there...

[COLOR=Sienna][quote name='Pumpkin][SIZE=1]Okay I admit. Lame title. But on a serious note, it seems as if half the world is slowly becomming infected with the virus known as [b][COLOR=#990033]myspace.com[/COLOR][/b]. I admit even I have caught the bug. I've noticed that even the people of OB have a myspace or atleast have heard about it. From the fake celebrity profiles to the highschool cheerleaders who always put "I luvvvvv pink" in their profiles, what do you love most about myspace? If you hate it, what do you hate most? [/SIZE][/QUOTE]I?ve heard about myspace because it?s been on the news several times for kidnapping cases here in Salt Lake City, Utah. I can?t say that I love or hate anything about it as I am not a member and have no interest in becoming a member. Most of my friends are not interested in it either, so I see no point in joining. [QUOTE=darkisMINE] I seriously doubt there are tons of people on MySpace stalking "innocent young girls" who just happen to have tramped up profiles and ages 4 years greater than their own.[/QUOTE]I?d like to know where you get your data from. It?s estimated that one in five kids receive unwanted sexual solicitation on the Internet. If you really think that predators are not going to use a system like myspace or any other online service to find people you are fooling yourself. It?s not to say that myspace is responsible, but it doesn?t change the fact that there are predators who use myspace to find children/teenagers. [QUOTE=darkisMINE']On Nightline, there was a story of a 12 year old girl who was a drug-addict and attributed it all to MySpace. She claims that MySpace allowed her to easily fing drug dealers in her area, as well as older men to do it with. Now, at the age of 14, she has been checked into a drug-rehabilitation clinic and has been away from her family for 5 months. Her parents would rather place the blame squarely on the shoulders of MySpace instead of their daughter, who even admitted that at the age of 12, had already tried weed, crack, X, and had slept with numerous guys older than herself...but of course, it wasn't her fault, it was all because of MySpace. [/quote]Actually, if myspace was aware that one of their members was selling drugs to other people and did nothing to shut down the account, then yes they would be responsible on some level. I agree that parents are often bad about blaming a place like myspace instead of taking responsibility for their children, but it doesn?t change the fact that if myspace had been informed and did nothing, they could be legally responsible.

On the same note, if the parents knew their child was doing such activities and did nothing they can be held accountable for their kid?s actions as well. After all they could have blocked myspace or taken away their kids Internet privileges. But instead by blaming myspace they are only reinforcing the idea of blaming someone else for your problems. [quote name='darkisMINE']Eventually, if this continues, mySpace could be totally outlawed from the Internet. Restrictions will be put in place in order to make mySpace "safer". I don't know about you, but I use MySpace to keep in touch with my family and friends, use it for messages, and just to have a space that is my own. Just because some children want to act grown, does that mean I may have to eventually give up my MySpace? If you feel the same way I do, please, repost this in your blogs or bulletins, or both as "STOP BLAMING MYSPACE". If enough people post this and spread the word, maybe people will get the picture and stop blaming MySpace for every little thing that their children do wrong. As user of MySpace, we should all repost this and take some sort of action. This is not a chain letter, and nothing will happen to you if you don't repost this in 321654987 seconds. However, of all bulletins you will read today, I am sure that this one is the only one that actually has a point to it. So please, have some common sense, and repost this. Thanks.[/quote]So what?s so bad about making it safer? And frankly, if myspace had a history of ignoring reports and doing nothing about them, they would deserve being taken down. It?s an unfortunate but all too common problem of people who follow the rules, having to change or lose privileges because of the dishonest one?s who will not follow the rules. I?m not saying that they are the problem only that they are responsible for failing to act when they could have.

Anyway, I honestly don?t see why you are getting so worked up. If there really is such a problem with people using a service like myspace to cause problems, then how else are parents going to be aware that their kids need to be wary if it?s not mentioned in the news or other media? It should be obvious, but many parents know less about the Internet than their kids do. And to be frank, young teenagers will often do things just to fit in.

Another problem is that many parents make the assumption that an online site has some sort of structure in place to deal with members, who use it to stalk children, sell drugs or do other illegal activities. It doesn?t make it myspace?s fault, but like I already mentioned, if they receive hundreds of reports indicating that a member is selling drugs and they don?t even try to shut down the account or ban them, well then myspace deserves to get in trouble. [/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest animehazel
I have myspace, it's not as bad as everyone makes out because you can 1. not add people to freinds if you don't want to talk to people. 2. delete people if you don't want to talk to them. 3. flag people who rarely spam you with 'buy this from my website'

Myspace is only 'emo' to you if you add those kind of people to your profile. There are c.80 million profiles there, they can't all be idiots.

[URL]http://www.myspace.com/anime_hazel[/URL]

Anyone who says myspace is bad is right, yet wrong. I have seen both versions of myspace accounts, the ones that people have just to have and keep it pretty decent and one where the owner is there to be what there not, bad grammer, very, very pointless conversations and such things. i don't personaly own one, so coorect me if i'm wrong.

Guest leyoko
[SIZE=2]Yeah,I have a Myspace and I admit I'm addicted to it.I love it cause it's a great way for me and my friends to keep in touch.Also,I love playing with my profile, and loading up pics of myself(so vain) One thing that really impressed me was how I can do what I want and say what I want and not get lectured by Tom because the kids might read it and get the wrong idea.And last,I like the groups you can join; if you're lucky you get join the really active ones that really suit you.[/SIZE]

• 5 months later...
Guest angieanime
omg my best friend is soooo obsessed with myspace. i don't really get it. i mean i have one but i find it really really boring :animesigh all people really do is leave comments, which in order to get comments you have to leave comments -_-;; also my best friend is obsessed with her camera!!! she says she has to have myspace pictures and she changes them almost everyday :animeswea it's kinda sad. i hate my pictures so that an x for that category. the only thing i really enjoy is putting up layouts that i make myself, but you can do that on basically any other site :rolleyes: i'm more interested in myotaku :D you can meet people and they become your friends. but on myspace if you don't know them it's scary cause you don't know if they are a sexually predator or if that the real person in the picture, they have up. and on myotaku you don't really have that, so there's some since of sercurity. well myspace is also a good place to get music to :p that's about it that i find intersecting or not.

~angie

As for myself, i just don't want to make one. We know most people have one and my friends have been nagging me to get one, but i kinda just don't want to.

I can't get a grasp of what i don't like about it. I don't know if it is just about worrying about putting up an image to appeal to others. Sure, i would just say screw it, but why waste the time to just be ridiculed?

I'm just wondering how you all feel about myspace.

Myspace is an anachronism in the present-day internet. It throws out all the design tricks and aesthetics developed during the past half decade in exchange for hideous, cluttered page layouts that look to be ripped out of 1997, unleashes the horrible demon of auto-start music that had been caged for so long before, does absolutely nothing to promote organization or community amongst its members, has awful page loadtimes, and is owned and operated by a spam company. This last point provides the only reason that it managed to scrounge to the top of the social networking dogpile in the first place.