OtakuBoards

MySpace

Pumpkin

[SIZE=1]Okay I admit. Lame title. But on a serious note, it seems as if half the world is slowly becomming infected with the virus known as [b][COLOR=#990033]myspace.com[/COLOR][/b]. I admit even I have caught the bug. I've noticed that even the people of OB have a myspace or atleast have heard about it. From the fake celebrity profiles to the highschool cheerleaders who always put "I luvvvvv pink" in their profiles, what do you love most about myspace? If you hate it, what do you hate most?

Most importantly, I want to know what do you mostly do on myspace? Are you addicted like many other poor souls? Do you have any other OB members on your list? If so, who? Many state that myspace.com is just an excuse for an online popularity contest. Some say they use it for a way to find someone special. Others say that they use it just for finding old friends.

Personally, I find it wierd that people are turning to the internet to chat with friends instead of going out and actually hanging out with them instead. In a way it is a sort of popularity contest to "show" how many friends you have. However, I find it can be beneficial if you have friends who live far away and want to keep a cheaper way to stay in contact with them.

So in a way, I hate and love myspace we have a complicated relationship. My friend [i]David[/i] introduced me to myspace at the time and I told him I would like 3 times. He had to beg me to check it out and once I signed up and got the hang of it, I slowly became addicted. I don't go on as much anymore, because school is more important than a website. But I still wonder why it's so darn successful.

So now I ask you OB members, do you have a myspace? What is your opinion and most importantly who introduced you to it? [/SIZE]

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's another one of those boring websites that has millions of active members for absolutely no reason! It does offer some entertainment, like interviews with bands and such, but usually I go to their official website or fan websites I grow fond of.

In my opinion, it is another popularity contest. I joined for the same reason, I was reffered by a friend. I had fun personalizing the frontpage, then got bored because I didn't know anyone, and the morons that added me just wanted my avatar as a decoration on their page.

It's much funner to socialize in real life.

[size=1][color=crimson] I already have a blogspot, and MySpace doesn't seem all that great to me anyway. I've since abandoned it primarily because it won't let me upload my pictures using FireFox, it's very MS biased.

I'd rather use my blogspot and not ahve to worry about which browser I am using at any given time. [/size][/color]

[quote name='Shinji][size=1][color=crimson] I already have a blogspot, and MySpace doesn't seem all that great to me anyway. I've since abandoned it primarily because it won't let me upload my pictures using FireFox, it's very MS biased.[/size'][/color][/quote]
[size=1]There might be something wrong with either the file or your computer, but I use Firefox, and it uploads pictures fine.

I wouldn't say I'm an [i]addict[/i], but I do enjoy looking at other's pictures and discovering a friend who had a MySpace but never told anyone. I find that it's alot more fun than a livejournal/Xanga/what have you, mostly because of the human interaction involved with it. Other blogs are just places where you spill your thoughts out, and recieved little to no feedback. On MySpace, I've found that things I post are read and commented upon by friends... so it's not a complete waste of time like generic blogging is.[/size]

Nope, haven't even gone there. I'm not too keen on spilling out all of the vital information a person may need to steal my identity--not that it would be easy, considering thatI've had three different names in my short life.

Ah, heck. I'm content with my mO account, so I really don't need a bunch of people with very vacuous minds trying to befriend me there, especially when we have so little in common. At least around here I know I can get into a conversation with most people about something...

[COLOR=DarkRed]There was a thread about it on Tony's site. I joined...to just see what it was like. There were a few from OB like Sennen, Shin, Tori, and Aleia, but I rarely go there anymore. The editing tools to design the page sucks and there are several people that do not know the colour wheel. I'm not joking. They put light pink font on a hot pink backround, or a small animated GIF images that repeat throughout the whole page making it mind boggling.

I do admit that I am checking there occasionally because I have some old friends I used to be close to on there...and unlike the billion other people on there, I will NOT put a picture of myself on there...ever.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Retribution][size=1']Other blogs are just places where you spill your thoughts out, and recieved little to no feedback. On MySpace, I've found that things I post are read and commented upon by friends... so it's not a complete waste of time like generic blogging is.[/size][/quote]

Blogger and myOtaku both have "Comments" features for individual posts.
LiveJournal has a thread-like "Comments" feature which is even more interactive. What makes MySpace more social in its comment features?

-Arvi

[SIZE=1]I have an account. I mainly got it because I know people from school on there, and since I graduated I don't seem them anymore, so its a good way to just chat a bit, etc. So thats my main reason. :animestun

Also, I found three friends I haven't seen in almost ten years and haven't talked to in 5 years...so thats a huge plus! They live on the other side of the united states.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Yup, I've got a MySpace. No, I'm not addicted. I had originally (Only about a month or so ago) created my MySpace just to make layouts for my cousin. Since I couldn't log into her account to fix her frontpage, I just went on my own account, built her a layout, and emailed the HTML code to her. I had a pretty good time doing that. Until she found out how to use one of many MySpace editors and started doing it (Quite inexpertly) herself.

Now I just have around 20 friends, a fourth of them being bands, and another fourth of them being people I don't know. The rest are good friends and cousins.

I really do like MySpace. I don't really use the blog feature, and I haven't even STARTED making my own frontpage yet... Just plugged in some junk for the stuff I have now. Nothing special.

I don't think I have any OBers as friends. Unless some of those people I don't really know have accounts... I should probably ask them...
[/SIZE]

I have an account and I quite enjoy the place. I like it moreso than xanga at least. I found myself writing more detailed blogs on myspace. And it's kinda fun having that counter telling you how many people have read your blog. I know, I'm a dork. I've caught up with a lot of people from my high school through it. I haven't messed with my page for a while, since I can't really think of anything to add, heh. I'm not messing with colors and fonts though, since that would require some HTML work, and sometimes takes a bit longer than I would like it too.

Still, though, it doesn't beat facebook.com. I caught up with more high school friends than myspace. But that's off topic, my bad.

[quote name='SaiyanPrincessX][SIZE=1]I have an account. I mainly got it because I know people from school on there, and since I graduated I don't seem them anymore, so its a good way to just chat a bit, etc. So thats my main reason.[/SIZE'] :animestun[/quote]

Yep, that's the reason I have a MySpace account as well. I didn't want to lose contact with some good friends of mine from high school, and MySpace just another way to keep in touch with them. I've got some people from OB on my friends list just for the hell of it too. I don't do very much on MySpace, though... my page is basically a big list of things I like lol. I tried keeping up a small blog there, but I got bored with it quickly. Updating my regular website is tough enough. :p

If anyone actually cares to add me to his or her friend list, here is my MySpace page: [b][url]http://www.myspace.com/shinmaru[/url][/b]

[font=georgia]Good ol' myspace.

Yes, I do have a myspace. And yes, I have it because it's the typical reason; it's suddenly the new thing and you just have to have it. My friends kept bugging me about it, and told me to get one, and I ignored them, but then going to different myspaces I just said 'what the heck' and made one anyway.

When I went editing, I was completely ticked. To edit your site, you gotta know how to actually write a code (which I'm too lazy to do) to edit the colors of the page yourself, or you can go to some myspace editor site and enter the color codes and choose the colors and generate a code. (I chose the second option, of course.)

Also, it was very confusing at first, but being used to it, I don't feel any difficulties anymore. But I remembered I didn't try to use it for about a week and edit things because you have to click all these things and I got impatient.

The thing I was really happy about was the music. You can add music, not from only the 'big' artists in America, but some 'big' artists in Japan too. (Although they are fake celebrity sites, they provide me music and I'm glady using them.)

So answering your question, the myspace bug did bite me.[/font]

[color=darkviolet][font=lucida calligraphy]Heh, I have a my space account *sigh* It's nothing but a popularity contest really.

My brother(Scorpio Boy 1118 if anyone really wants to do that) and I both signed on at the same time but he has way more friends (IE girls with doctored pictures) than I do. One of my real life friends added me and I added her. So we look at eachother's blogs (which I am really bad at writing) and laugh at things.

My bro and I make fun of his friend because he's so sex crazed he's met girls who have replied to his my space account. They got mad when they found out that he (my bro's friend) isn't really a rapper. The guy actually has had girls sending him butt pictures. Can you say desperate?

IF anyone really wants to they can click on this stupid link [URL=http://] http://home3.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user&Mytoken=71BECE30-FCCD-48D1-8402E938641F1C17660370093[/URL] and see scary pictures of me. But I'm no more interesting there than I am here.

And for the record. I only have a my space because I was helping my brother put one up.

If you really want to get into things I put my picture on Hot or Not .com too. HOw bad was that? Yeah, maybe I should just go kill myself now! Long Live Cerridwen 81!

♥Blessed be
Chibi Horsewoman ♥ [/color][/font]

[COLOR=Red]Has anyone thought of how many users there are? i don't know the exact number, but i do know that, this being a fad and all, there are lots of users. Most of them with their full names and email addresses all out for viewing of the public and all of them linked by the support databases. think about this for awhile. if i were to be a mean soul (which im not) and target all the host computers in myspace, i could infect all users with a virus of any magnetude in seconds. especially if i sent it through an email disguised as one from the head honchos over there, thus making sure itd be open. yes, very stupid, but very possible. :animestun

you may say that even being on otaku boards is the same thing, well it isnt. anyone wanting to infect or hack computers would hit places like myspace now simply because it is a big fad now and thered be lots of people.

please remember that im only dreaming this scenario up and would never do, and can not do any such thing. its just a useful way of me sayin, i dont like it.[/COLOR]

[font=trebuchet ms]Actually, that has been attempted quite a few times, I heard. Each attack was immediately halted by some really crazy security. I know that at least one of the people who did it was sent to jail.

I have a mySpace, I haven't used it in half a year. The story behind it was that I had a girlfriend who was obssessed with mySpace, and she'd basically only talk to me at school or through mySpace. It sounds really dumb now, but I guess she had me wrapped around her finger or something. I joined, got a buddy list full of bands I like, and when she dumped me, I dumped mySpace, that was easy. I still go on it every once in a while for convenience, but I don't actively use it.[/font]

[quote name='RiflesAtRecess][font=trebuchet ms'] Each attack was immediately halted by some really crazy security. I know that at least one of the people who did it was sent to jail.[/font][/quote]

[COLOR=Red]Yes i thought so, and i did say stupid, but very possible. the possibility of this comes from the ability of not attacking the hosts themselves, but taking the personal information blatantly and easily displayed and using it for whatever. and you cant tell me that all the hosts dont have a full list of users lying around somewhere. Trust me, i know 2 hackers that could do this, but wouldnt for the soul reason of possibly getting arrested. and they are all very good people also, i guess.

tho once again to be able to do this youd need the fastest internet connection known to man, a heck of alot of memory (were talkin tetrabytes here), a fake identity, and some beffed up security youreself. oh well.
Disclaimer: I dont, wont, and cant do this stuff.[/COLOR]

Personally, I don't think myspace is all it's cracked up to be. Like previous posts before it's a fad. All my friends kept bothering me to get one, but I declined. I already have a blog on xanga (which I am quite happy with) ,and I don't think I need another.
Just for my own curiousity one day, I sighned up for an account just to see what the hype was about. Less than 5 minutes later I deleted my account. Nothing spectacular. Most people I know don't use their myspace for a blog, but just to have a ginormous friends list. I'm not one of those people who has mutiple blog sites. I dont need a xanga, myspace and a livejournal all at once. For the love of God people! What are you going to post on all 3 everyday?! Thinking that you want to have a decent sized post on each one ( atleast a pragraph). Unless you have a super fun filled spectacular action packed day everyday, things get boring...real quick.

[quote name='kayutori_sama']For the love of God people! What are you going to post on all 3 everyday?! Thinking that you want to have a decent sized post on each one ( atleast a pragraph). Unless you have a super fun filled spectacular action packed day everyday, things get boring...real quick.[/quote]

[size=1]You don't have to post a blog everyday, at all even. It's not mandatory to post a blog, there are more things you can do on Myspace then that.

Anyway, yeah I've been bitten. Hard. My friend introduced my to the site about two years ago, I just never got around to joining until about half a year ago.

If someone invented an anti-addiction pill for Myspace, I'm sure a lot of kids would be taking it, haha.[/size]

Yeah, I go there regularly mainly because my good friends go there. And I have fun with my layouts. I've stayed there much longer than I did with myOtaku, I'm sorry to say. I'm not a conformist for going there, but yes, it's true, the place is a hit :P It gets more people on it a day than Google, which is quite impressive since it's only brand new earlier this year.

You can find the lair of sexiness [URL=http://www.myspace.com/sirvinny]HERE[/URL]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest demonix
I have a myspace account but it seems I get the worst of problems with the site being down for maintenance like it is at this moment (at about 2PM GMT) or the login being disabled like it was yesterday for about an hour but the worst is the five or so times every day I'm on that I have to access the site and log back in because it ends up freezing