OtakuBoards

Favorite 'old school' anime

ChibiHorsewoman

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]I was home from work today and decided to unearth my Gundam Wing Endless Waltz VHS (yes... VHS :animeswea ) and got into it again. I watched the whole thing- I didn't even think about fast forwarding through Relena's incesant talking.

So that got me thinking what older anime do you enjoy or have you enjoyed? Maybe it's one that got you started on anime or something that you still watch.

For me another anime that stuck with me, besides Gundam Wing is Sailor Moon. I started watching the crappy DiC dub back in High school and my biology lab partner and I used to write fanfictions instead of notes. Yet for some reason we always managed to pass our labs and quizzes. I still have some of the comics and my mini Sailor Jupiter doll. Come to think of it, I think I still have a few DVDs. Maybe I;ll watch it tomorrow.

So who else wants to share?[/color][/font]

Ah, Sailor Moon. Looking back on that phase..... I chuckle at Tuxedo Mask. This character seemed so serious when I was a prepubescent teen, but he's hilarious now.

Ranma. Ranma is still so funny to me. I can pop in any Ranma episode out of order, and still be amused.

I also just watched Devilman the other day. Wow. The anime was so fast paced (I've never read the manga, and I could bet it's so much better considering it's popularity). They squeezed so much in, and this half devil guy goes around killing things 80's style. Perhaps I let a lot of things slide while I was watching the anime, I kept considering how old it is, but I really enjoyed it. When I watched the Devilman Apocalypse movie, I was very surprised at the storyline. Enjoyed it.

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=1]Weeeeeeeeeeeelllll.....
I looooooved Sailor Moon back in the day...

I love... "Tatakae! Chou Robot Seimeitai Transformers"
Widely known to Americans as Transformers!
I do realize that this was produced in the US but it was animated and shown in Japan.. and that it isn't considered Japanese animation, but I love it so I must mention it! ;(

I can't really think of any on the top of my head :([/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]O_o since when are the 90's considered oldies? Though i guess as a modernist I should adopt the mentality.

[B]THUNDERCATS[/B]!!! Actually, i have no idea if that's an anime or not, only that I used to watch it when I came home from school. I never watched [B]Sailor Moon [/B] and i only saw a tiny but of [B]Gundam Wing[/B]. I guess if we're calling out the nineties than [B]DBZ [/B] would have to go in here and probably [B]Pokemon [/B] as well.

Seriously, though, when I think 'oldies' i think [B]Robotech [/B] or something. By yalls standards, [B]Evangelion [/B] is oldies O_O[/COLOR]

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=1]Wow I completely forgot about DBZ.
I remembered Pokemon, but I'm not much of a fan to their new series.. but if you just count the old series.. then.. yeah. Though, it wasn't too long ago when I watched it. Probably in 5th grade! (I'm going to be a senior this year..)

Don't criticize (lol)! :P I believe the Transformers came out in like 1984ish.. I mean, it's not 100% anime, but it's pretty close. The anime purists would not be happy with it, but I liked it ;[

Not to mention it was my first introduction to this type of animation. Then from then on.. it grew onto me.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=DarkRed]Speaking of [I]Transformers[/I], I've loved [I]Beast Wars[/I] back when I was younger. Yeah I know it's not anime, but I felt it had to be mentioned.

Barely beating out[I] FLCL[/I], my favorite anime is [I]Cowboy Bebop[/I]. I love the story and action, and who doesn't like Spike? Both being almost a decade old, I think they count as old-school. Hey, I'm young. I don't know what old-school is. [I]Darkstalkers[/I] and [I]Samurai Pizza Cats [/I]I remember watching also when I was younger, but I can't remember a thing about them. nada :animeswea . [/COLOR]

Gotta love it, I only started watching anime about a year ago so for me 'old school' would have to be the very first series I saw...Fruits Basket. Even though that isn't really old school. lol It is a great show though.

Oh and I saw Evangelion, or however you spell it and I was not impressed. So I can't say that's a favorite. In fact I'm glad I rented it instead of wasting my money on buying it.

The pure comedy enjoyment of Ranma is always still good for a smile/laugh. I agree on that comment whole-heartedly. Evangelion is one of my favorites, but I don't know if I'd classify it as "old school." It seems made just a *bit* to late for that classification. Maybe.

Maybe I'm not throwing it in the "old school" catagory due to the fact that I watch it a good amount every once and awhile. Nostalgia only sets in for me when I haven't seen something in a good while. That is not the case with Evangelion.

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange']O_o since when are the 90's considered oldies? Though i guess as a modernist I should adopt the mentality.[/COLOR][/quote]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy] True, the 90's aren't considered ancient history. But that's when I started watching anime. I think that may be when a lot of people started watching anime.

But to be fair if you want to discuss real old anime how about Speed Racer? That show was just.. I don't know. I just wanted to drive a race car for a while. Does anyone besides me remember when Mtv used to air it after Beevis and Butthead?

Another good 'older' anime is Slayers. I loved Lina Inverse and all the not so subtle comments about her lack of a chest. Damn could that girl eat![/color][/font]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange][B]THUNDERCATS[/B']!!! Actually, i have no idea if that's an anime or not,....[/COLOR][/quote]
[FONT=Arial][b]THUNDERCATS[/b]!!! And who cares; it's close enough.

I'd like to bring up [I][U]Knights of the Zodiac[/U][/I], if only because the theme song was [I]"I Ran"[/I] and the concept for the show was kinda nifty. And the requisite [I][U]Cowboy Bebop[/U][/I], [I][U]Trigun[/U][/I], and [I][U]The Big O[/U][/I] (props to R. Dorothy). Also:
[quote name='Rachmaninoff']Oh and I saw Evangelion, or however you spell it and I was not impressed. So I can't say that's a favorite. In fact I'm glad I rented it instead of wasting my money on buying it.[/quote]
Fie! For Shame! You lose! (...the game; I'm a poet and didn't know it. :rolleyes: )

But seriously, what turned you off? For me, even if Shinji Ikari (sp?) is the second most annoying character ever, he was vital to the series's end, and there were even some twists in the plot that I never quiet saw coming, which, all things considered, is impressive for me. Or them. Somebody.[/FONT]

[QUOTE=Allamorph][FONT=Arial][b]THUNDERCATS[/b]
Fie! For Shame! You lose! (...the game; I'm a poet and didn't know it. :rolleyes: )

But seriously, what turned you off? For me, even if Shinji Ikari (sp?) is the second most annoying character ever, he was vital to the series's end, and there were even some twists in the plot that I never quiet saw coming, which, all things considered, is impressive for me. Or them. Somebody.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[color=dimgray] After you get past its groundbreaking work in robot design and actual presentation/storytelling of anime, which is easy for people who see it [i]now[/i], Eva can be sort of dull to a lot of people. It can get sort of repetitive, and I think that's an understatement lol.

But Evangelion is still of my old favorites. :) Although I don't like nearly as much as I used to, it was the show that got me really into anime. I don't have many others, but I used to watch Dragonball all the time when I was a kid, and My Neighbor Totoro (still one of my favorite movies) was the first movie I ever got hooked on when I was little.

And Pokemon, of course. Anyone who denies watching the show when they were kids are just lying.[/color]

[quote name='Allamorph][FONT=Arial][I'd like to bring up [I][U]Knights of the Zodiac[/U][/I], if only because the theme song was [I]"I Ran"[/I'] and the concept for the show was kinda nifty. .[/FONT][/quote]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]KotZ was invented in 04. [B]Saint Seiya [/B] is an old anime, but KotZ, as the dub is known, is an entirely different show. The script is 100% different, the story is different, and the 80s anime theme kicks even more *** than the [B]I Ran [/B] cover. (Not to say I don't like I Ran)[/COLOR]

It?s probably not that old school, probably made in the 90?s, but I have to go with [b]Hajime no Ippo (Fighting Spirit).

[/b]Watching young Makunouchi Ippo go from wimp to boxing feather weight champion was truly remarkable for me. Nearly all of the fights in the anime were exciting to watch and were well animated. Also, all of the great characters (Sendo, Takamura, Miyata, etc.) and comedic moments throughout the anime made it even more enjoyable for me. It?s a simple anime that is still enjoyable to rewatch over and over.

[font=comic sans ms]I didn't start watching anime till 1999 - 2000 so, "shrugs". And also DBZ, seeing that I didn't even know of the word "anime" back in 97-98.

In any case, I don't really do too much research on animes, so, unfortunately, I don't know the years of which these animes came out.

[i]DBZ[/i] - This was what got me started on watching nothing but action. I don't watch it as much as I use to, but it'll still be one of my favorite oldies.

[i]Yu Yu Hakusho[/i] - I did see a few of the earlier episodes on Toonami when it first started on there, but I quickly threw it aside when I saw that the action wasn't that great. (At that time I was comparing everything to DBZ... action wise) And when I came back to it, I believe Chapter Black was starting, and from there I was pretty much hooked. I still haven't seen much of the Dark Tournament saga yet.

[i]Ronin Warriors[/i] - It's been a long time since I've seen it so I barely remember much of it. But I did know I liked it for it's action.

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']Oh and I saw Evangelion, or however you spell it and I was not impressed. So I can't say that's a favorite. In fact I'm glad I rented it instead of wasting my money on buying it.[/quote]
Agreed. Although I saw it on Adult Swim. So I didn't even have to waste the time renting it. :) Like Allanmorph, Shinji killed it for me. That and there was just too much depression in it for me to even care about it.

[quote name='Lunox']And Pokemon, of course. Anyone who denies watching the show when they were kids are just lying.[/quote]
Except for those who started watching anime in the late teens :). I was watching things like Batman, Spider-Man, X-Men [strike]Power Rangers[/strike] TMNT as a kid, but we'll save that for another day.[/font]

[color=deeppink]Ogre Slayer. It's only four episodes, but [i]man[/i] are those 4 episodes good. It gets surprisingly deep and thought-provoking for an anime from the early 90s (apparently, though the animation looks like it would be from the 80s), and the characterization is top-notch.

Also, Lupin, because it's just so freaking awesome in every way.[/color]

[quote name='Nerdsy][color=deeppink']Also, Lupin, because it's just so freaking awesome in every way.[/color][/quote]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]AGREED

ZOMG! Why is there all this hatred for [B]Evangelion[/B]! [B]Phenom[/B], for shame, basing your opinion on the [B]CN [/B] showing which cut out a ton of stuff (including the entire last episode!). My god! And anyway, the show had plenty of lightheartedness thrown in! :animecry: Oh well. No sense doing something to get me yelled at for trying to change peoples' opinions :animesigh

Anywho, I think I should fully exentuate how awesome [B]Robotech [/B] ([B]Macross[/B]) is. Not only is it the One Mech show to Rule Them All but also an amazing space drama that kicks [B]Gundam's [/B] scrawny *** to the curb. A 36 episode masterpiece! (note that's just season 1)[/COLOR]

[quote name='Allamorph][FONT=Arial]But seriously, what turned you off? For me, even if Shinji Ikari (sp?) is the second most annoying character ever, he was vital to the series's end, and there were even some twists in the plot that I never quiet saw coming, which, all things considered, is impressive for me. Or them. Somebody.[/FONT][/QUOTE]The whole thing frankly. It relied too much on an impending sense of doom, or so it seemed and I do not care for the giant robot [spoiler]I know they weren't but still[/spoiler] fights. That sort of storyline does not interest me. It was the same with Full Metal Panic. I enjoyed the characters, but the fighting part bored me. It's just not my thing.[QUOTE=2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange]ZOMG! Why is there all this hatred for [B]Evangelion[/B]! [B]Phenom[/B], for shame, basing your opinion on the [B]CN [/B'] showing which cut out a ton of stuff (including the entire last episode!). My god! And anyway, the show had plenty of lightheartedness thrown in! :animecry: Oh well. No sense doing something to get me yelled at for trying to change peoples' opinions :animesigh [/COLOR][/quote]It's not hatred. It's dislike. Also, since I rented mine I watched the damn thing twice. First in English and then with the subtitles since I though perhaps it was the translation. In the end, I still didn't care for it. There was so much hype on how cool it was and I'm sure for some it is. But for me it was not. :animesigh

God, this thread makes me feel old. I can't shake the sense that "old school" should probably have its absolute cutoff around 1990 or so, if not earlier. Ah well, enough bellyaching. I'm arbitrarily setting my own cutoff at 1985, mainly so I don't have to talk about all my beloved late '80s shows (if I got into Bubblegum Crisis I'd be writing all night).

-[b]Lupin[/b], which I can say absolutely nothing about. It's [i]Lupin[/i] for god's sake. It's absurd to criticize this series; it's like passing judgment on Space Invaders.
-[b]SDF Macross[/b] (original only), probably the towering achievement of '80s mecha and space opera. For all its emotional thrust, the original Gundam was still for kids (and Ideon, while more mature, was populated entirely by idiots). Macross has honest-to-god characterization and development, all without sacrificing fun. Uh, but just forget about the wedding episode and the last quarter or so of the series...
-[b]Rose of Versailles[/b], essentially the show (well, it had more impact as a manga and a stage show but still) that's to classic shoujo what Macross is to Gundam. Where before you had high school tales or sports shows or light fantasy, with Rose you've got a sprawling, hugely complex historical drama. It was a considerable step away from traditional shoujo at the time , yet now it's one of the major touchstones (and, I think, easily one of the best animes of all time).

I guess I'll leave it at that?

EDIT:
[quote name='Rachmaninoff] The whole thing frankly. It relied too much on an impending sense of doom, or so it seemed and I do not care for the giant robot [spoiler]I know they weren't but still[/spoiler'] fights. That sort of storyline does not interest me. It was the same with Full Metal Panic. I enjoyed the characters, but the fighting part bored me. It's just not my thing.... There was so much hype on how cool it was and I'm sure for some it is. But for me it was not. :animesigh[/quote]Well, really, no one should be watching NGE for the fights. They're basically intermezzi, although well-animated ones. If you're going to be turned off by the show, it has to be because of... well, everything else. And I can fully understand disliking it for those reasons.

PSA (directed at everyone): I have no idea what idiot in the late '90s started pushing NGE as THE anime in the US, but I would like to retroactively punch him. There is no single less appropriate introduction to the style than Eva - newcomers seeing it with few other shows under their belt are, I think, being done a disservice. The series is rooted in two decades of mecha anime, and is the most extreme extension of that tradition. Sure, it still works as a kind of emotional rollercoaster and it can still frusterate, but it's impossible to really judge where it stands without having an idea of where it's coming from and what themes it's playing around with. I've said this before: NGE is for veterans only. Ideally it's something you lead up to and love or hate from there, never what you start off with. Someone once said that you shouldn't try to read Proust before you're 30 - I wouldn't go that far with NGE, but the same kind of caution is advised.

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=1]I never really considered Yu Yu Hakusho as an old school anime.
But if it is considered one...
I still like it.. I have a DVD around here somewhere. :cool:

As for Robotech... I was just talking about that anime with my Step-Dad.
He was telling me when he was a cool cat, he used to watch it. Haha.
But yeah, I think that anime is pretty awesome.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[QUOTE=2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange]AGREED

ZOMG! Why is there all this hatred for [B]Evangelion[/B]! [B]Phenom[/B], for shame, basing your opinion on the [B]CN [/B] showing which cut out a ton of stuff (including the entire last episode!). My god! And anyway, the show had plenty of lightheartedness thrown in! :animecry: Oh well. No sense doing something to get me yelled at for trying to change peoples' opinions :animesigh
[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[font=comic sans ms]"Re-reads my post." I didn't base my opinion on what was shown on CN. Heck, from what I saw of it, I wouldn't even believe there was anything taken out of it. I have low tolerance for alot of things, and people with no backbone is one of them. But I'm going to be real with you. Even though Ghost in the Shell: SAC is my favorite anime, I am not a deep thinker. (I bring GitS in this because it's the only anime that I can think of outside of NGE that requires alot of thinking.) That mixed with Shinji and depression just don't spark anything with me. Heh, sorry.

[quote name='Fasteriskhead']-Lupin, which I can say absolutely nothing about. It's Lupin for god's sake. It's absurd to criticize this series; it's like passing judgment on Space Invaders.[/quote]
It's taking me quite a bit to get use to the oldies type animation, but I do get drawn into it everytime they decide to air it or adult swim. "shrugs"

I guess I can add [i]G Gundam[/i] as well. It's the only Gundam show I've seen so far. While I look it now, it can be on the corny side (This hand of mine is burning red....), but "shrugs" I'd almost settle for anything if the action is atleast decent lol.[/font]

[I][COLOR=Navy]G Gundam was my favorite Gundam. the others were just plain stupid for me. SD Gundam was cool. Those Chibi gundams were so cute. Also Gundam Wing was good, but I can only remember that masked guy. And yes "this hand of mine is burning red" as indeed corny. But I loved Burning Gundam.[/COLOR][/I]

Guest styerthagreat
my favorites anime is voltron, salior moon and ronin warriors. i grew up watching these and these alone is what made me interested in tha whole japanese culture in the first place.

[COLOR=goldenrod]Man...some of these old school anime being mentioned were back when I was oh two years old? >_< Uh yeah old school for me is only stuff out in the last couple of years. Though I could say Sailor Moon since SunfallE loaned me all of her DVD's last year and I watched them.

I could say Wedding Peach as well since I watched it last year too but it came out back in 95 I believe. I like both of them, though Wedding Peach was not butchered like Sailor Moon was. Though that's probably due to it only been released in the past couple of years.

Oh and I'd say Ronin Warriors, but when SunfallE lent me her set I got sick of the English dub and watched the uncut Samurai Troopers instead. If you liked Ronin, you'll like the original version much better. At least I did.

I also watched the Magic Knight Rayearth series. Parts of it I liked and parts I did not. Still I suppose it could be considered old school. lol

Hmmm...so out of all that my favorite by far is Wedding Peach. :catgirl: [/COLOR]