OtakuBoards

Favorite 'old school' anime

ChibiHorsewoman

[COLOR=Sienna]I guess I don't really know what we're considering to be old school. To me, old school anime was everything that aired on Toonami before 2000.

My favorite old school anime would be Yu Yu Hakusho and Tenchi Muyo. I had an obsession with Tenchi way back in 5th grade. Once I got home from school the first thing that had to be done was to turn on the TV and watch some Tenchi goodnes.

Yu Yu Hakusho was the first anime that introduced the "[i]pretty boy[/i]" to me. I still love YYH to this day. [/color]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange]KotZ was invented in 04. [B]Saint Seiya [/B] is an old anime, but KotZ, as the dub is known, is an entirely different show. The script is 100% different, the story is different, and the 80s anime theme kicks even more *** than the [B]I Ran [/B'] cover. (Not to say I don't like I Ran)[/COLOR][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Wouldn't that be [I]re[/I]-invented? And wasn't it different because a lot of the original content was basically slashed? (Stupid censors. People need to read [I][U]Fahrenheit 451[/U][/I].)[/FONT]

[COLOR=Indigo]I remember watching Sailor Moon, but now that I have the uncut edition I can't stand to watch the English version of the first couple of seasons. The same goes for Ronin Warriors. Once I saw the uncut Samurai Troopers I've never been able to re-watch the English one.

As far as having a favorite though, I would suppose I would have to go with Sailor Moon since I ended up starting to collect art books due to that series. And that just lead to getting more exposure since I was fascinated by how the art style was done.

There were others I watched, but none of them were engaging enough that I'd ever watch them again so they'd hardly fall under the title of being a favorite. Not like some of the American ones like Tale Spin, Duck Tales or Darkwing Duck, all of which I could easily consider favorites. [/COLOR]

Guest XxricexX
[COLOR=darkred][SIZE=3]I saw only one person mention Samurai Pizza Cats! I remember seeing it but not remember much. . .so, I know how you feel, desertphoenix. D8

I would also have to agree with everyone else on Sailor Moon and the DiC and stuff, xD;. . .I've also seen one called Shadow Skill or something like that. 80's. Pretty good. As for Thundercats, I thought it was an anime, lol, until I grew older. x.x. . .Ah, Macross. 8]b

lol@Beast Wars--I remember watching them also!. . .-cry- I feel so old now.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=navy]Many of the ones I thought of have already been mentioned, including a special props to Samurai Pizza Cats. I loved that show, and I can still remember a lot about it.

But one I don't think has been mentioned is Tekkaman Blade, or Teknoman in English. I truly think it was the first mecha anime I ever saw and I remember watching it with my older brother when we were young.

And the series of Zoids is pretty old I think, along with the original Digimon series.

Oh, almost forgot about Bubblegum Crisis 2040 as well.

I watched a lot on tv when I was younger, but they don't play a wide variety in Australia, or at least where I am. But I recall also growing up with the comic cartoons; Spiderman, TMNT, Batman, etc. etc.[/color]

[color=darkred][size=1]

I'll still rock that [b]Dragonball Z[/b] from time to time if I want a bunch of bad humor and bloody, bloody fight scenes. Particularly The Android - Cell Sagas. Classic.

Farther back than that, I gotta give it all up to the [b]Thunder.... THUNDER.... THUNDERCATS![/b] HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

All about the Lion-o, sucka. O.G. style, for real. And the news about the live action movie gave me a bit of a nerd-gasm. Gonna be great.

[/color][/size]

Dragon Ball and the sequels are good old school animes.

I like older Gundams like the original, 0080, 0083, G Gundam, Gundam Wing.

Fist of the North Star, good old school anime, very rare to find, I recommend it for those who haven't heard of it.

Ronin Warrios, come on?

Thundercats, how can you not like it?

I'm not sure what it was called but it was about a masked wrestler he had the mask of a tiger, really old, I know in the Italian version (the one I saw years ago) it was called Uomo Tigre witch means Tigerman, not sure if it ever came out in the U.S.

I like the 3 Tenchi shows that came out but I'm not sure if they are considered oldschool?

I guess oldschool should be before the 90s maybe?

Speed racer was cheesy like nik naks from what I remember but I used to watch it.

Lupin the 3rd, bad *** show, with bad *** characters, you can't get more bad *** then Jigen.

I want to say Escaflowne and Zoids but I don't know if you guys consider them old school.

There are so many, help me out people. -.- :p

Guest XxricexX
[color=#E05860][size=3][font=verdana]I remember Zoids! Haha~ Although, I liked better the one where it was a competition--not the other, w/ that alien girl that kept being kidnapped or something like that, lol. I kind of forgot that Digimon was somewhat old, since Jetix still shows it and I go gaga over it. Yamato. *.*

Whoo! Gundam 0083--one of my favourite Gundam series. I've seen Fist Of The North Star. They showed it for a while on the Action channel from Starz. The main character whose name I forgot, reminded me of Law from Tekken, rofl.

Thundercats still pwn! I miss Tenchi. 8[[/color][/font][/size]

Guest XxricexX
[color=#E05860][size=3][font=verdana]I knew it was new century something, but I wasn't sure. 8I;

Ooh! Medabots! Seeing someone's avatar/sig banner reminded me of it. It rawks. *.*[/font][/size][/color]

Now I can't say I've watched fairly enough old skool anime, of course the first time I was introduced to anime was watching, Pokemon, Sailor Moon, Zoids, Dragon Ball z, and I know alot of older 1's even though I havent seen em. First anime I really loved was Yu Yu Hakusho, though that's not really old. And again, no one really knows whenever I talk about this one, Go Negai's Devil Lady, that's very good in my book.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]If we're talking straight old stuff; [B]Gundam[/B] for sure. Been around since '79. Rec'nize.

But since, I'd go with a hearty rough estimate and say, a good 60% of our active user base probably started watching anime in the early 2000s, late ninties anyway. I mean, let's be honest, it wasn't really popular here in America until then anyway.

For me? [B]Those Who Hunt Elves[/B]. Off the wall crazy and silly but at the same time, it was pretty stellar. Japanese people from modern times getting sent to another universe in medieval times and to get back they have to strip elves and get fragments of a spell. What's not to love? Granted it wasn't localized here until, I'd say, 2001? Something like that. Either way, it debuted in '96 in Japan.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Lupin the Third is always watched by me when it airs. PokéMon and Monster Rancher, Ronin Warriors, Gundam Wing. Good shows. Megaman and Sonic were two of the first anime I ever seen I mean the original Megaman not that crappy **** they aired on the WB last year. I used to watch the original Transformers. IT wasnt Anime but I love ReBoot, that and Double Dragon.I am a vehicular enthusiast so Speed Racer is on the list. Aswell as Tenchi, Card Captors Sakura and Sailor Moon. Some of these shows remind me of my youth and others bring back forgotten memories(what is this Big O!?) I have.

[SIZE="1"]>___< I used to watch Doraemon and Chibi Maruko Chan... haha if that counts. Other than that, I used to like Sailor Moon and the old Miyazaki movies. Oh, and I just watched this last year but definitely Akira![/SIZE]

• 3 months later...
Since the old school stuff are a part of what I like best about Anime, I'll be glad to list my favorite old school Anime titles:
-"Space Battleship Yamato" (a.k.a. "Star Blazers")
-"Mobile Suit Gundam"
-1963's "Tetsujin 28-Go" (a.k.a. "Gigantor")
-"Space Pirate Captain Harlock"
-"Galaxy Express 999"
-"Dragon Ball"
-"Mazinger Z"
-"Science Ninja Team Gatchaman"
-1967's "Mach Go Go Go" (a.k.a. "Speed Racer")
-"The Transformers" (a.k.a. "Transformers Generation One") (although a U.S./Japan co-production)
-The Original "Dirty Pair"
-"Mobile Police Patlabor"
-"The Super Dimension Fortress Macross"
-"Robotech"
-"Lupin III"
-"Voltron: Defender Of The Universe"

I suppose I enjoy them for not only the music retroness (especially in action scenes and opening credits), but also for the fast-paced action itself and I just love the color shade quality of them as well.

After watching [b]Rose of Versailles[/b], I'd have to say that is my favorite old school anime. Absolutely brilliant in every way, and with its complexity in both story and visual style, it could easily be released today, and people would go gaga over it. I know I have. <3

• 1 month later...