OtakuBoards

Church of England to sue Sony

PWNED

Article is [URL=http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/2007-06-10-church-england-sony_N.htm?csp=34]here[/URL]

I'm not sure whether the Church of England can actually get what they want here, Resistance: Fall of Man has been out for around half a year and they've just taken offense to the issue. Besides the fact that the game is fiction and unrealistic in its content, The Church really shouldn't be caring about this.

[I][COLOR=Navy]Well boo frickety hoo. I believe in jesus and god but that's plain stupid! Did they sue sony for releasing a game that debased god! Star Ocean stated that our universe is fake! it used christanity against the whole planet with those aliens.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Navy]t'm sorry but to that church, well oooh ****** dee![/COLOR][/I]

[FONT=Arial][QUOTE][FONT=Arial][I]"...seeing guns in Manchester cathedral is not the sort of connection we want to make."[/I][/FONT][/QUOTE]
Aww nuts. They're just afraid that they'll have to scrap their plans for a bloody, worldwide takeover.[/FONT]

[size=3][font=century gothic][color=crimson]It is just a building to God. If the Church of England wants to get upset over something, let it be the injustice in the world, slave labour, let it be the millions of children in Africa dying of AIDS. . A video game set in a Cathedral? The Church has more pressing issues at hand.

What Would Jesus Do? He would be more concerned about that poor family down the street that can't afford a loaf of bread, than spending millions fighting a gaming company because they set a violent game inside a Cathedral.

Come on. :rolleyes:[/size][/font][/color]

[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma][quote name='The Kuja][size=3][font=century gothic][color=crimson]It is just a building to God.[/size][/font'][/color][/quote]
It's not [i]just a building[/i] to God.
[quote name='The Bible][b]Gen 28:17 says[/b] [i']This is none other than the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven.[/i][/quote]
But I can see what you were getting at.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='PWNED']I htink it's more the guns in the Cathedral, I believe guns are always seen everywhere else in Manchester.[/quote]

[SIZE=1]Lol.

People refer to it as Gunchester a lot for a reason. If it's the same Cathedral we're talking about, which I'm sure it is, then we've been there. We used to sit at the doorsteps and everyone sits around it - and let me tell you, some of the people who sit there most [i]certainly[/i] have some form of weaponary concealed, or something worse.

Kinda stupid, since the gun crime is already there, it's not doing any harm that hasn't been done already. I don't think people are going to walk into the Church with guns because they saw it on a game, either. If you said that then it's also easy to say that some child is going to grow a moustache and start eating magic mushrooms because he saw it on a game (maybe not to that extent, but you can see my point).

I suppose they could be a bit upset if someone used the Cathedral without permission (no matter what the point of the game) but I agree with every here that it's a bit stupid to sue. Well, unless they use the money to build some benches - then I'll change my mind.

Just thought I'd say something because me and a friend had a good laugh at this the other day =)[/SIZE]

Well Sony's sued people before for stupid **** like this. If they are able to sue Sony, I'll consider it poetic justice. Plus I hate Sony, they suck.

[size=1][color=red]Todesengel, welcome. I deleted your other message. (Tried to copied a paste, but it didn't work out the way I intended.) In any case, double posting is not allowed. The edit button is there for a reason, and we expect you to use it. Another thing, you may want to consider adding some thought to your post. We have an emphasis on quality and conversation. You can atleast give (explain) your reason. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me or any other staff member. ~Phenom~[/color][/size]

[font=arial][size=1]I've been wondering about this. Isn't Resistance still Sony's only GOOD game on the PS3 so far? So what happens when they have to take it off the shelves? It already feels like a losing battle for them, but maybe all the stuff I read about them is skewed.[/font][/size]

Guest Azuraga
Way to go, White! The good books right, its not just a building, its God's house. Comments that denounce such a sacred thing is awful to me. But, on the flip-side, its a video-game. I have a strong faith in God, but honestly, its a video-game. There are no aliens, and earth isn't in ruins(yet). The comments the church made are, while viewed by apperantly a narrow-minded audience, understandable. I mean, how would you feel, preaching God's works to the masses, as hear from the crowd, from two children, none the less, "Hey, remember when we killed all those buggers on the balcony above?", "Yeah! Blew the head right of the ugly (insert profane word here)!" Thats not something you really want to here if your a priest. Church is a religious place, and they have every right not to be remembered as a "House of slaughter" instead of the "House of God." I know thats its a game, but sometimes, I think they take it to far( they being game developers/producers). There should be somethings that remain sacred and honored in this day and age, even in video-games.

uh.. white... you do realise that that verse has absolutely nothing to do with a church, right? and besides, the church is the people, not the building...

anyway.. it seems to me that the church is overreacting a bit... it's not like the game's about destroying the church or something...

[quote name='Sara][color=#b0000b]Wait, this is for real? I thought Ctrl-Alt-Del was [url=http://cad-comic.com/comic.php?d=20070613]making it up.[/url'][/color][/quote]
i did too... if only..

They're right in saying that they should've been asked for permission, but hamming the whole thing up with the bit about gun crime was a tad silly.

Reverend Rogers Govender has asked for a substantial donation to be made so the church can 'fight gun crime' (expect bazooka-toting nuns at your local Primark sometime soon). Hopefully that will make the whole problem disappear.

[size=3][font=century gothic][color=crimson]

White, here is your Bible quote put into the context fo surrounding scripture. It was Jacob's reaction to a dream that theLORD gave him.

[b]Genesis 28:16-18[/b]
Then Jacob woke up and said,"Surely the LORD was in this place, and I wasn't even aware of it." He was afraid and said, "What an awesome place thi is! It is none other than the house of God-the gateway to heaven!" The next morning he got up very early, he took the stone he had used as a pillow and set it upright as a memorial pillar. Then he pured olive oil over it. He named the place Bethel-"The house of God"- though the name of the nearby village was Luz.

Jiazu, in a way, this is a church, or temple if you will. The rock becomes a place of worship. However, the building is not as important as the people who worship there. As you can see from this passage, this exact place of worship is noting but an olive-oil covered rock.

The book of Acts records that the early church met together in houses, and one of the most epic events in church history, the Pentecost, happened while the believers met in a house. God does not wait for fancy cathedrals to dispense his blessings upon his people.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with worship in a nice Cathedral. It's just not meant to be the focus of attention. Matthew 24 records that the disciples were quick pointing out to Jesus the splendid structures of worship that the people had built, but Jesus was more focused on getting his message of the end times across. I believe that the people and their salvation matter most to God, and the buildings, they are material and thus, secondary.[/size][/font][/color]

The church has about as much chance of winning this case as if I sued Mcdonald's because I detested yellow. It's just a game, and they really need to stop whining about this and work on the people getting shot in their own backyard problem that they seem to like to emphasize. That sounds like a worthy cause.