OtakuBoards

New vBulletin!

2010DigitalBoy

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Okay, so if the new skin wasn't enough newness for OB, it looks like we've been upgraded! now that all the highly annoying kinks have been straightened out, I gotta say, it's pretty nice! Firstly, the color pallet is way easier to use. Unlike before where you had to scroll through and the words kinda obscured some of the colors, we've got a lot of nice little squares. Also, my personal favorite addition is that now when you edit your signatre it lets you view your current signature above. If you're like me and have gallons of code in your sig to the point that you can't tell what the hell's going on, this is helpful.

There seem to be some additions to the post interface, though a couple remain red xs so i have no idea what they do, but the one nexy to the smiley selecter is confusing as crap - i'll avoif that one for now O_o in any event, I'm liking the switch so far for the most part. High-five!

(also, I've noticed that now when we click on the colors, the tags have quotation marls on them, though the tags apparently still work without them)[/COLOR]

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason it's put quotation marks in your tags is because most of them are now HTML instead of vBcode ... or at least, it seems to convert them into HTML after posting, so you can use vB when first writing it out, but when you go back to edit it later, they've all been morphed to HTML. Note the angular brackets, instead of square ones.

The upgrade seems to mean I can't use the WYSIWYG editor anymore ... looks like I'll be posting in HTML from now on, then. Good thing I know how, but what about the people that don't?

EDIT: Grr, I also have to remember to add paragraph tags if I want line breaks. Is there no way to set it so line breaks are formatted as HTML?

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=Indigo]I use the standard editor and type out the tags and it never adds quotes or changes the tags to use angle brackets instead of square brackets. It must be something about highlighting and selecting from the menu and/or the WYSIWYG editor. I'll play around with it and see if I can find out what's up.

HTML code is turned off in most forums so you shouldn't be able to type HTML into the post field and have it come out right, though, at least not in Otaku Lounge here. And for me it's converting line breaks in the text field fine even after switching to the WYSIWYG editor.

[b]Edit:[/b]

I posted this with the WYSIWYG editor, then clicked the edit button and the font and color tags were normal; square brackets, no quotes. Is this still happening for you?[/COLOR][/FONT]

I've switched to the standard editor and hit no further problems - vB tags work fine and stay as they were when I edit. It was a really odd problem. In the Edit Options page, the dropdown was set to 'Enhanced Editor - Full WYSIWYG Interface', but when I edited my signature I got what looked like a standard editor text-box; I couldn't see my signature as it appears below, but formatted with HTML tags. I wiped the slate and typed it out in vB tags, then hit Preview Signature, and I got the preview at the top of the page as normal, and then, in the editing box, my signature formatted with HTML again.

I'm using Firefox on a MacBook, which might be part of the problem. Firefox only recently started accepting the WYSIWYG editor with the vBulletin we were using before the update; I'd been using the standard editor before then because the WYSIWYG just showed up as a white box that wouldn't accept a cursor.

Good to know the upgrade's an improvement overall, though. Should I move this thread to S&F?

Guest LadiesMan217
[color=charcoal]I can't upload my debut avatar. There's a message that tells me that it can't save the image. Perhaps there is a bug within the uploader?

Nice setup anyway. Really unique. :catgirl:[/color]

[color=#606060]There are still quite a few things that need attention but most of the issues have been sorted out now. My announcement pretty much explains why we've had some problems with this upgrade - it was a bit painful but probably necessary.

Once the kinks are ironed out we'll be looking at various other options before OBE arrives.

Thanks much to Alan and Desbreko for continuing to work on the issues. Hopefully we'll have Quick Reply back soon![/color]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Also, my personal favorite addition is that now when you edit your signatre it lets you view your current signature above. If you're like me and have gallons of code in your sig to the point that you can't tell what the hell's going on, this is helpful. [/COLOR][/QUOTE][color=#db2007]You've been able to "preview signature" and see your signature above the editing box for a very long time.[/color]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]Here's a question, and this might be the wrong place to ask it, but it seemed to fit to me.

Is there going to be an image where the "View Post" box is when you quote people?Like the one above where Sara quoted DB? Or is there already one, and I'm just not seeing it?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]If you notice, there's a small "Reply" button located inside each individual post block. Click it, and you'll be set up to quote the entire post of whoever's box you clicked in.

Make sense?

Personally, I'm kinda likin' the undo/redo options, though I admit I was startled when I wasn't prompted to request a read receipt for private messages sent.

[B]Edit:[/B][quote name='Sara][color=#db2007']You've been able to "preview signature" and see your signature above the editing box for a very long time.[/color][/quote]
Ah, but now you see it [I]before[/I] you change it; so's you remember what you were doing, I assume.[/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]If you notice, there's a small "Reply" button located inside each individual post block. Click it, and you'll be set up to quote the entire post of whoever's box you clicked in.
[/FONT][/QUOTE]
[FONT="Book Antiqua"]I already new that. What I want to know is if there will be an Image to go with the "View Post" button next to Allamorph's name in my quote.

The code looks like this: {QUOTE=Allamorph;781169} The 781169 bit is the Post number, and it's the cause of the link in the quote. But I want to know if we can/are going to put and image or button there instead of the box with the "x" in it?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Oh, right, I see that now. I'm not getting any "X" boxes, though; mine just says "View Post". If you perchance want to know if that text is getting an image beside it, then just ignore me completely, 'cause I couldn't tell you. :animeblus

I also notice that though it's default, it's optional as well; I tested by editing it out of my last post. Not sure what that means, but eh.[/FONT]

[quote name='Sojiro47'][FONT="Book Antiqua"]I already new that. What I want to know is if there will be an Image to go with the "View Post" button next to Allamorph's name in my quote.

The code looks like this: {QUOTE=Allamorph;781169} The 781169 bit is the Post number, and it's the cause of the link in the quote. But I want to know if we can/are going to put and image or button there instead of the box with the "x" in it?[/FONT][/QUOTE]

I'm not involved in the updating of this site whatsoever, but I think the safe thing to say is "yes, there will be an image".

They've updated through several versions of vB. Supposedly starting at 3.0.3. Currently it's at a 3.6.7. A lot of new things have been added along the way and that includes things that have new images associated with them that never existed before. They're calling images that weren't ever used in 3.0.3.

It just involves making them and uploading them. I wouldn't be very concerned about that being taken care of sooner than later.

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]Oh, I wasn't concerned, just confused. But Allamorph is right. If you just remove the number bit from the quote, the link leaves. Any guesses at how long it is untill all the kinks are worked out?[/FONT]

[quote name='Charles]vBulletin sucks. Would it have been too much for you guys to have [B]sprung[/B] for an [B]ezboard[/B']?[/quote]
[FONT=Arial]No pun intended, I assume. :p

On a slightly related tangent, has anyone else noticed that [COLOR=DarkRed]James[/COLOR]'s earlier announcement has suddenly vanished? I swear he had something there at 1:30 this morning, my time.[/FONT]

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Yeah, I remember seeing it, too. I didn't read it, then. But I just went to find it, but I don't see it anywhere. You know there's something wrong with you when you start to lose at a game of hide 'n' Seek with a sticky thread.

I'm going to go cry in the corner now...[/Font]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]
On a slightly related tangent, has anyone else noticed that [COLOR=DarkRed]James[/COLOR]'s earlier announcement has suddenly vanished? I swear he had something there at 1:30 this morning, my time.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[CENTER][IMG]http://www.otakuboards.com/customavatars/avatar29754_10.gif[/IMG][/CENTER]

[size=1]Oooh, I get it now...

...is that why I keep having to log in (even though it's set to remember me) and the site randomly logs me out? I'm not particulary arsed about it, but I was a bit curious and wondered if it has anything to do with the upgrade? I've changed my password too but that wasn't it.

Looks like some damn cool stuff has been added ^_^[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]It also appears that the file attachment manager has changed as well. Interesting.

While all of these changes are relatively minor, they were very much needed. Thanks guys.

-Shy[/SIZE]

[COLOR="goldenrod"]Well so far I'm loving how the color is done. The nifty little box of colors instead of the drop down menu is nice. But mostly I love the removal of the [I]do you want a receipt for this message[/I] for pm's. You still have the option in the Miscellaneous Options under the message. But I love that it's not automatic anymore. :catgirl: [/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]James' latest announcement was only set to be shown from June 27 to June 29, so that's why you can't find it anymore. I've no idea if that was intentional or not.

Anyway, here's a little to do list of things we have/need to fix:

[strike]Nav column backgrounds[/strike]
[strike]Log Out links[/strike]
[strike]Avatars in the postbit[/strike]
[strike]Thread Tools and other drop-down menus[/strike]
[strike]Thread View page width[/strike]
[strike]Last Page links[/strike]
[strike]Smilies box extending out of the Reply page layout[/strike]
[strike]Custom avatar and profile picture uploading[/strike]
[strike]Search this Forum boxes searching the entire site[/strike]
[strike]Quick Reply[/strike]
[strike]Quick Edit[/strike]
[strike]Infraction features[/strike]
[strike]Inline moderation features[/strike]
[strike]Language filter in the Creative Works category[/strike]
[strike]Various icon images[/strike] (I think I've gotten them all. PM me if you find anything I missed.)

Am I missing anything? Please post if you guys find anything else that looks like it's a bug.

Oh, and OB can send e-mail again for whatever reason, so I enabled the e-mail features again. Confirmation is required upon registration and the report bad post button works again, among other things.

To the person having trouble with the site randomly logging you out: Clear your cookies and log in again, making sure that the Remember Me? box under the username and password fields is checked. I haven't had any problems with this or heard of anyone else that has, though, so I think it's most likely just an issue with the cookies.

[b]Edit:[/b]

Avatars and profile pictures can be uploaded again. I'm not sure why this wasn't working before, but it seems to be related to not being able to upload anything via FTP either. Both problems went away at the same time. I did have to change the CHMOD permissions on the profile picture directory to get those to work though.[/color]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]there are some really odd and seemingly pointless changes in here... for some reason the names of people in your buddy list who are online ae shown in bright-*** red. It's... disturbing... and also, i believe the sidebar is minus 3 smilies, bot that any of them were particularly good ones. I think it used to be collums of three and now a longer box with collums of two? I dunno.

I am overly observent of these things >_> I gotta say, though, the pull-down list of smilies seems entirely useless...[/COLOR]