OtakuBoards

New vBulletin!

2010DigitalBoy

[color=#4B0082]I changed the smiley box because it was extending even farther out of the layout than it was before and making the reply page look horrible. If I can find how to edit the width of the "Message:" table, to use some more of the room on its left and make the margins even, we might be able to fit three rows of smilies in again. Also, I'll probably be changing which smilies appear in the box, since people barely ever use the sleep and O-faced ones, but that will have to wait.

Right now I'm trying to get Quick Reply to work again.[/color]

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=#606060]As Tony said, there are a ton of new things that we're having to deal with because we've been so long without a software update.

At the moment the main thing is just to ensure that we get all the new basics functioning properly and then we'll start working on the other bits and pieces.

The main thing I'm happy about is that damn message receipt thing on PMs. I can't tell you how much that was bugging me for years, lol. I'm glad it's now gone.

[/color]

[COLOR="goldenrod"]Well here are some possible bugs or things that just need to be adjusted. When you try to do a text link it doesn't give you the option to type in a word for the link: [URL="http://www.myotaku.com/"]http://www.myotaku.com/[/URL] It automatically puts the link in the same spot where you would normally put a word instead. It doesn't even give you the option to enter text.

Also, it seems that the filter for swearing has been applied to the Adventure Square. So now everything that had swearing, even if just a little has been replaced with **** I realized it when reading my Silver One RPG earlier. There's hardly any swearing at all but what little there is has been replaced with ***[/COLOR]

[quote name='SunfallE'][COLOR="goldenrod"]When you try to do a text link it doesn't give you the option to type in a word for the link: [URL="http://www.myotaku.com/"]http://www.myotaku.com/[/URL] It automatically puts the link in the same spot where you would normally put a word instead. It doesn't even give you the option to enter text. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[FONT=Arial]Actually, I've been doing that a bit lately, and when you enter the url and it does that "paste into the display slot" thing, it also keeps the displayed text highlighted so you can easily change it. You just have to remember to move past the [/URL] tag; unless you want, for some odd reason, to tag your entire post. :p

Also, it seems that the filter for swearing has been applied indeed. But really, if you want to use context to figure out the word, it ain't that hard. So I'm not concerned.

A question occurred to me just now. Will there ever be a tag set for an em dash (?), so those who use them don't have to keep opening Word up or searching their previous posts to plug it in? I mean, my current method isn't all that strenuous ? I just think it'd be nice to have. You know, just like pie is nice to have.[/FONT]

[color=#4B0082]For inserting links, I think the functionality of the Insert Link button is just different for the new version. If you type out a word first, highlight it, then click the Insert Link button it will keep that word as the link's text. Only if nothing is highlighted will it default to using the URL itself as the text.

I'll look into the problem with the swear filter. Unfortunately, I think this has caused permanent damage to the threads in the Arena. Unless they changed the way the filter works in the new version, the software does a hard find and replace, so words that are starred out are just gone and removing the filter from those forums won't restore them. I'm not sure how we disabled the filter in only select forums in the first place, though, so this may take a bit to figure out if no one else remembers how we did it.

Also: Alt+0151 on the number pad makes an em dash.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]Alt+0151 on the number pad makes an em dash.[/color][/QUOTE][color=#db2007]On a Mac, it's [b]option[/b] + [b]shift[/b] + [b]-[/b]. (And that's your hyphen/en dash key).[/color]

[quote name='Sojiro47'][font=book antiqua]Quick, what is it on a lap-top without a number pad???[/font][/QUOTE][color=#db2007]I don't have a clue, but I suppose you've always got the option of old-schooling with a double en dash, typewriter style.

It's easy--see what I mean?[/color]

[quote name='James'][color=#606060]The main thing I'm happy about is that damn message receipt thing on PMs. I can't tell you how much that was bugging me for years, lol. I'm glad it's now gone.[/color][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Thank God, I'd gotten to the point where it was instinctive like touch typing to just click "No" and work from there. Why people ever had those message receipts was beyond me.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Sojiro47'][font=book antiqua]Quick, what is it on a lap-top without a number pad???[/font][/QUOTE]

Uh, it's the same. You just use the numbers above the letters on your keyboard. Is this a riddle? How is a raven like a writing desk?

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]Thank God, I'd gotten to the point where it was instinctive like touch typing to just click "No" and work from there. Why people ever had those message receipts was beyond me.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]Though I'm glad they are no longer automatic, I am glad the option is still there. But then I always use the receipt function when it's a pm that I need to know if a member read it or not. The rest of the time I never use it though.

Also as for the changes... I am loving the updates. One of my favorite functions so far is when you highlight the text and add color or bold and it stays highlighted so you can apply several things without needing to highlight it again.

As well as how it stays in place. Before every time I highlighted and selected bold, it would jump back to the beginning of the post, forcing me to scroll down to where I was in the post and now it doesn't.

Or when I'd try to insert a link/picture/smilie in the middle of the post and it would put it at the end of the post instead of where I wanted it, so I'd have to retrieve it from the end and manually put it where I wanted it to go. So it's nice that it doesn't do that anymore.

Those so far are my favorite changes. :) [/COLOR]

[quote name='James'][color=#606060]The main thing I'm happy about is that damn message receipt thing on PMs. I can't tell you how much that was bugging me for years, lol. I'm glad it's now gone.

[/color][/QUOTE][color=#db2007]Oh my goodness, it's really and truly gone?

I am so happy.[/color]

[quote name='Sara'][color=#db2007]Oh my goodness, it's really and truly gone?

I am so happy.[/color][/QUOTE]

[color=#606060]It certainly is. I think I can almost feel everyone sighing around the globe, lol.

There are a large number of improvements but one of the issues is that some new features have no graphics. I've just uploaded a graphic for "View Post" when a post is quoted - since this is a very obvious graphic that will be visible all the time I felt it was important to get that one going first.

I've got more images to add but that shouldn't take too long.

We're also finally going to be able to send welcome PMs to new members, which will help things a great deal. [/color]

[color=#4B0082]Huzzah! Quick reply is back in working order, and is now also using AJAX to post the reply without having to reload the entire thread. And to go along with it, quick edit is also working now, which lets you edit posts without having to load any new pages.

Now shower me with praise, for I am so great and stuff. :bow:[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]Huzzah! Quick reply is back in working order, and is now also using AJAX to post the reply without having to reload the entire thread. And to go along with it, quick edit is also working now, which lets you edit posts without having to load any new pages.

Now shower me with praise, for I am so great and stuff. :bow:[/color][/QUOTE]
[size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]Praise, etc etc. Good job you were dealing with it, all the drinking I've been doing this weekend to avoid domestic issues would've had it unresolved for a year and a half.[/font][/color][/size]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]Huzzah! Quick reply is back in working order, and is now also using AJAX to post the reply without having to reload the entire thread. And to go along with it, quick edit is also working now, which lets you edit posts without having to load any new pages.

Now shower me with praise, for I am so great and stuff. :bow:[/color][/QUOTE]

[color=#606060]I think a lot of people who aren't familiar with the AJAX system will be really impressed with how it all works. This is especially true for people on slower connections.

When we were talking about avatar sizes and such, I was conscious of the fact that narrowband users would have to continuously reload pages (to edit and to post responses) and that might cause some issues. This new way of only loading the relevant areas of the page without reloading the entire thing will mean that we [i]can[/i] make more use of bigger images without impacting on slower users too much.

[/color]

Now shower me with praise, for I am so great and stuff. :bow:[/color][/QUOTE][color=#db2007]Consider yourself showered, Des. =][/color]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]Now shower me with praise, for I am so great and stuff. :bow:[/color][/QUOTE] [IMG]http://i0006.photobucket.com/albums/0006/pbhomepage/july4th/fireworks.gif[/IMG]
Understatement of the year Des. :catgirl: The more I use the updates and enjoy how things work when preparing a post, the more I love the changes. But then we of the Desbreko Fan Club have always known that you are great and stuff. ;P[/COLOR]

[quote name='White'][COLOR="DimGray"][FONT="Tahoma"]Can I just say that the way you edit posts is freaking awesome? It's so much better than loading an entire new page![/FONT][/COLOR]

EDIT: WoooHOOOO[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I agree! It's so beautiful, and scared the crap outta me the first time XD the whole thing is amazing. I almost crapped myself in surprise and joy![/COLOR]

[quote name='James'][color=#606060]When we were talking about avatar sizes and such, I was conscious of the fact that narrowband users would have to continuously reload pages (to edit and to post responses) and that might cause some issues. This new way of only loading the relevant areas of the page without reloading the entire thing will mean that we [i]can[/i] make more use of bigger images without impacting on slower users too much.

[/color][/QUOTE]

I'm not entirely sure what you're saying here. If these people load the image one time, it doesn't have to be reloaded again in almost any situation. The image will be cached unless they have their browser set up to do otherwise (which would be odd if they're on a dial-up modem).

It you were talking about the load that would come from loading the new page code, the posting imagery associated with it and so forth... sure, some time there is saved. But in terms of larger avatars and banners? Not really. It would be unlikely that they'd be loading much more than they normally would now. They'd still have to load up the heavier, file intensive images just the same.

My point is largely that I don't think that's really a good reason to go ahead and raise any of those things. If you were going to do it anyway, obviously go ahead, but I don't think it's necessarily a major favor to narrowband visitors of this site.

In any case, I know vB updating is a pain in the *** first hand. I think it's going well. The only thing I would personally suggest would be raising the compression default for uploaded avatars. Low color ones, in particular, get compressed to Hell.