Cosmetic Surgery? Yay or Nay?

ChibiHorsewoman

Would you ever undergo Plastic surgery  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Would you ever undergo Plastic surgery

• Yes
    • No
    • Only if it were necessary

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]Oh Lord I am watching a show about America's Obsession with plastic surgery right now and I have to start a thread on it because I'm curious... yet again. Besides I think this may be one of the few topics we haven't done in a while.

The show started out talking about teen age girls getting boob jobs instead of cars for graduation. It's like dear El how vain can you get? And it just kept escalating- like when they ended the show by talking about women who lunch and surgeries to shorten your toes so you can fit into your shoes.

Now I'm not going to say that I've never considered cosmetic surgery (and the rest of you had better be honest about it) but I'm not so obsessed that I'll go through with it. For one thing the recovery time varies and for another cosmetic surgery is just that- SURGERY!

I'm not against it, but I doubt I'll ever go through it. Unless someone gets me on Extreme Makeover. Although for me I think Biggest Loser is more my thing.

So thoughts?[/color][/font]

I got plastic surgery for my ears when I was 8 years old. I just remember the horrible feeling I felt when I regained consciousness. I was really sick. The sickness afterwards makes the surgery seem like nothing.

So unless I become facially disfigured I don't plan on having any plastic surgeroy

I'm not against cosmetic surgery because it can really help out a person. But I don't plan on undergoing cosmetic surgery, simply because I'd probably feel uncomfortable doing it. I mean, your new look wouldn't be "you." Plus I would rather use my money for higher priorities of mine like education.

[font=arial][size=1]I've already had cosmetic surgery. I got two cysts about the diameter of a dime removed from next to my right eye. Before you think bad things about me, the one closest to my eye was still growing, and within another year of me having it, it would've pressed up against my eyeball and I'd have more problems. It cost me a grand total of $15. :)[/font][/size]

[quote name='Goodbye, Face'][font=arial][size=1]I've already had cosmetic surgery. I got two cysts about the diameter of a dime removed from next to my right eye. Before you think bad things about me, the one closest to my eye was still growing, and within another year of me having it, it would've pressed up against my eyeball and I'd have more problems. It cost me a grand total of $15. :)[/font][/size][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy] Wow you vain little diva you.

I meant more along the lines of I don't understand why perfectly gorgeous people decide to get something tweeked. Necessary surgeries I understand. For example, one of my aunts is a mail carrier and a few years ago she was attacked by a dog and had her leg bitten up so bad that she needed plastic surgery to make it look somewhat normal. The scarring is still there, but the leg looks better than it did when the stitches came out.[/color][/font]

[COLOR="DarkRed"]I had it done, so it is too late for that.

I had my breasts done just a month ago today. I am still recovering but I'm feeling awesome. Now, before you call me vain, I had them [I]reduced.[/I]Yes, reduced. Why? It was scarring my shoulders, hurting my back, putting stress on my knees, making my posture horrible, and on top of that, a big chest and cerebral palsey does NOT mix.

My posture is bad enough without the extra weight.

I am really happy that I got it done because my back hasn't been bothering me, my knee joints do not crack as much, and my posture has greatly improved.

Plus, now I can play DDR more efficiently and without males starring at a bouncing chest.[/COLOR]

I think that, as long as it makes you feel better about yourself, or, improves your physical well-being, as with Japan_86's Breast reduction, or if you really, really need it, such as the cyst thing, then it's completely cool. However, if the only reason you get it is too fit into soceital norms or to be more attractive to other people, and it dosent acually improve your general opinion of yourself, then, it's completely [I]not[/I] cool. As for the toe shortening thing, is it really [B]THAT[/B] necessary? I mean wtf....:animesigh

[size=1]Honestly, while I'd never really consider cosmetic surgery for anything other than necessary stuff, I don't really have a problem with others getting it for their own purposes. Sure it's vain and, from what I've heard, can be addictive but people's own opinion of themselves is far more powerful than other people's. For all we know many of those gorgeous people may see themselves as ugly inside. Of course it's all likely they're all just vain.[/size]

[quote name='Japan_86'][COLOR="DarkRed"]Plus, now I can play DDR more efficiently and without males starring at a bouncing chest.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[size=1]I thought I sensed a great groan of dismay in the Force a while ago...[/size]

[FONT=Arial]Heh. Another one of those lovely ambiguous topics. Smashing.

Cosmetic/plastic surgery does have its merits. Skin grafts for severe burn victims, for example, or other reparations of badly damaged body parts, like ears or my friend's hand (he was born with a second thumb on one hand).

...or to correct imbalances, like in [COLOR="DarkRed"]Japan[/COLOR]'s case. :animeshy:

However, I vehemently disagree with using this avenue as a means to enhance 'beauty' beyond the natural state. I can understand some possible self-esteem issues with young girls, but I'm one of those peculiar guys who prefers to look at someone's face during a conversation ,and not to stare at her chest. Heaven know large bosoms tend to draw a guy's attention.

But I cannot understand the obsession with the ongoing attempt to 'stay young'. Again, this may just be one of my peculiarities, but I find age respectable. So you have a few wrinkles around your eyes. So what? Give me slightly sagging skin over a grinning jack-o'-lantern any day.

It's just creepy talking to Skeletor, ya know?[/FONT]

[quote name='Konata']I'm not against cosmetic surgery because it can really help out a person. But I don't plan on undergoing cosmetic surgery, simply because I'd probably feel uncomfortable doing it. I mean, your new look wouldn't be "you." Plus I would rather use my money for higher priorities of mine like education.[/QUOTE]

[color=darkred]Yeah, I'm with you. I don't see anything wrong with cosmetic surgery whether it's for medical reasons or just wanting to look better, because either way the patient will feel better about themselves. I personally wouldn't get it for no reason, however. I don't see it as "god made me like this so I'll stay like this", but more as I'm me because I look like me.[/color]

[COLOR="Indigo"]Sometimes I don't understand why people even care that others are having cosmetic surgery done. It may be more permanent , but it's similar to using making up, designer clothing and other means of dressing ourselves up. Of being vain and wanting to look different.

Yeah I think it's silly to try and look younger but at the same time it's their money isn't it? Instead of spending it on a trip or a new car like someone else might, they've chosen to spend it on how they appear.

As for would I do it? It would depend, obviously as it's already been pointed out there are good reasons to have cosmetic surgery, but for the most part, there isn't anything I actually want to change so I have no plans on doing so. [/COLOR]

[quote name='Identity']I think that, as long as it makes you feel better about yourself, or, improves your physical well-being, as with Japan_86's Breast reduction, or if you really, really need it, such as the cyst thing, then it's completely cool. However, if the only reason you get it is too fit into soceital norms or to be more attractive to other people, and it dosent acually improve your general opinion of yourself, then, it's completely [I]not[/I] cool. As for the toe shortening thing, is it really [B]THAT[/B] necessary? I mean wtf....:animesigh[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]I agree with the first half of your paragraph.

I think a lot of the people that get plastic surgery have opinions of themselves that are highly dependent upon what other people and society thinks of them. For the most part i think all people see themselves, at least a little bit, through the eyes of another or society. It can't really be helped. Looks are subjective and relative.

Also... why is it not cool if other people like the way you look but you don't really care for it one way or another?

I'm all for plastic surgery. If i had the money and i wanted to go through with it there wouldn't be much hesitation. Although personally i'd rather do it the hard way with exercise and good diet... which probably means i'll never do it. =P I'm alright with the way i look. If i could choose i'd change it, but in no way is it necessary. I just see plastic surgery as another way people can improve themselves through the help of science and technology. Yay science!

I don't like it when people say they're fake if they get cosmetic surgery. I mean... what constitutes a person as being fake? The composition of your breasts? That just seems silly to me. Who cares if you got a little blob of goo in your boobies? I sure don't. Besides, there are many people out there much faker without plastic surgery than those with it.

And i think if you have a problem with cosmetic surgery you should have a problem with make up or even clothing and jewelry. The only difference is the price and the payoff.

My big problem with it all is the society that makes people feel like they need to go through these potentialy painful surgeries just to make them feel acceptable and comfortable in their own skin. It's a shame...
[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="goldenrod"]I can't say that I see a problem here. I understand that the purpose of your poll is to see if people think it's okay to change how they look, but at the same time on some level, if they wish too, why is it a problem? There's nothing fake about doing things to change how you look. We do it every single day. ^_~

Now admittedly cosmetic surgery is more extreme, but the principal is the same. And if anything, I'd be more annoyed with social factors that make people feel like they have to change to fit in. Not over the actual procedure.

Also, would I do it? I already have. I had moles on my face, several of them along the hair line. I positively hated them. One because of how they looked and two because any time I was in a hurry and simply ran a comb through my hair real quick, I would forget about them and they'd catch painfully on the silly comb.

So I finally had them removed. They didn't really change how I look since their positioning didn't exactly make them very visible, but I sure as heck like being able to comb my hair without having to worry over them. I don't miss them one little bit. I even paid for it since my insurance would not cover what it considered to be 'cosmetic surgery'

Would I do it again? Probably, I like many other females, am full figured. And I don't care what guys think. It gets old having my chest stared at. So if I did, I'd have that reduced a little, it would certainly be more comfortable as well. Something that any other woman in my position would understand. Being full figured is overrated by a long shot. [/COLOR]

[size=1]Whatever floats their boat.

Having control over our own bodies is one of the few rights we still have access to. If that crooked jaw is keeping them from smiling, let them fix it so something isn't holding them back. If they learn to love their uniqueness, great! They save a couple ten thousand bucks.

But before, this wasn't available. If people hated something about themselves, they couldn't do anything about it so they had to live with it, whether they learned to like it or not. They were doomed without options, so to speak. Now if a certain feature truly feels unbearable to someone, they have the choice to change it. Just having the option there, I'm grateful for. People don't have to feel completely hopeless anymore. On the other hand, it's tragic people hate a certain trait enough, or are influenced so much by the media that they're willing to cough up so much money and dignity. [/size]

Well I don't plan on it. I don't have anything that I really want to change that much. And at the same time I don't see anything wrong with it. Sure there are people who only do it to look younger, have bigger/smaller assets and such, but as others have said there are plenty of people who having the option to have cosmetic surgery is a good thing.

Also realistically, the more the science develops, the better it will be for those people who truly do need it. If it was only done for things that were necessary, like fixing a crocked jaw, or fixing horribly scarred skin due to say a burn, I think it might not progress as quickly as it has.

So in the end, the demand for this type of surgery is inadvertently making it better for those who really do need it. I mean, I did have minor surgery along those lines to make the scar from when my leg was injured last year look less noticeable. And though it wouldn't have bothered me to still have that scar, I do admit that when I'm wearing shorts it is nice that no one can tell anymore.