OtakuBoards

What are You Watching/Reading Now?

2010DigitalBoy

I decided to watch [B]Lucky Star[/B] again since I'm on Spring Break. I'd forgotten just how much I love this show. Konata is just too much fun for words. I so love her reason for not getting into sports or other things. lol And the way she teases Kagami is just hilarious along with how she gets a [spoiler]job working at a cosplay cafe[/spoiler] all just to support her otaku habits. And Akira? Oh good lord... that girl is too much. Heh.

Just finished [strike]weeping over[/strike] watching Gundam 00 23. [spoiler]NOOOOO ANIKIIIIIIII~~~[/spoiler] From the beginning of the series, I could never have imagined that I would get so emotionally engaged with the characters. I have a weakness for shows that build up like this. And who could have guessed that the mascot character would create one of the most affecting moments?

[spoiler]Haro: Lockon, Lockon. Lockon, Lockon. Lockon, Lockon...[/spoiler]

Using that, and showing us as [spoiler]the crew members realize what it means, not to mention including that incredibly moving Cowboy Bebop tribute,[/spoiler] was just masterful on Mizushima's part. At this rate, I think he could easily take season 2 to heights even greater than FMA. No idea what I'll watch to tide me over, though.

~Dagger~

I'm currently watching Bleach religiously, but I think that's the only current show I'm watching. However, I'm also watching Outlaw Star and Mobile Fighter G Gundam with my gf (she hasn't seen either), and I just got Louie the Rune Soldier, and we've watched the first episode of that. I'm probably going to start watching Cowboy Bebop after Outlaw Star (as I still haven't seen the entirety of it in the proper order).

I'm going to start reading the Bleach manga and see how much it differs from the show. I've got to try and find a manga called Free Runner. ((Found Volume 1 in Waldenbooks the one day and read that, but I haven't seen any more of it.)) There's a couple of other manga I've read in Waldenbooks that I'm interested in checking out, but I can't remember names (I'm horrible about that - need to start carrying a notebook so I can write them down).

Currently watching and (re) watching more delicious Aria the Natural. <3 Oh god... are there really only two more episodes??? Well, at least we'll have the satisfaction of knowing that the entire manga was animated. And 52 episodes plus an OVA is pretty damn long for a slice-of-life series.

~Dagger~

[SIZE="1"]Just started watching [B]Samurai Champloo[/B] today, already about a third of the way through it, great series so far, Mugen and Jin make interesting contrasts to one another and Fuu is just adorable. Very fun, very cool anime so far.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]Just started watching [B]Samurai Champloo[/B] today, already about a third of the way through it, great series so far, Mugen and Jin make interesting contrasts to one another and Fuu is just adorable. Very fun, very cool anime so far.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"]I was at a toss up on Fuu. She had her moments, but she was a fairly annoying character IMO. But I guess that's because she would be the one depriving me of my fights between Jin and Mugen :p

In any case.

[b]Black Lagoon[/b] - Episode 7 I believe. The one with Rock and Revy at each other's throats. Even though there was no action in that episode, it was still intense. Perhaps even more intense than the manga.

I've been jumping around in manga's lately. Went from Bleach to Naruto to Yu Yu Hakusho and then Tenjho Tenge.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Memphis'][COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"]I was at a toss up on Fuu. She had her moments, but she was a fairly annoying character IMO. But I guess that's because she would be the one depriving me of my fights between Jin and Mugen :p[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Yeah, there is that, but she has a good heart and sort of makes up the middle ground between Jin's quiet stoicism and Mugen's fiery impatience.[/SIZE]

[B]Boys Be 1-6[/B]

Man this animation is really terrible. Also some of these characters are uber cheesy. But the overall greatness of the characters and story make up for it. The way they portray the men is second to none in my opinion.

I'm trying to clean virtual house before the new season starts, so I'm catching up with [B]Shugo Chara[/B] (as mentioned in the SC thread) and [B]Ghost Hound[/B]. Not sure if I'll continue all the way with the latter... I'm going to let episode 9 make or break it for me. As much as I usually love Chiaki J. Konaka, he seems to be regressing more into Lain mode for this series, and it's kind of a trial to sit through at times.

~Dagger~

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]I would like to add that I'm not just READING Death Note, I'm watching it too.

Does anyone else detest the name changes in the English version?
I mean LIGHT? What the eff is up with that?!

But it's getting rather monotonous.
I'm on episode 16.
[/FONT][/COLOR]

[QUOTE='[Sound_Nin];808160'][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]
Does anyone else detest the name changes in the English version?
I mean LIGHT? What the eff is up with that?!
[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
It's not a name change. His name is Light in the Japanese version as well. 月 is read as ライト in his name, and officially romanized as Light. The early scanlators got it wrong because l/r is ambiguous in Japanese, and it wasn't until a little later that the official reading came out in the JP edition of Jump. Some people cling to the wrong romanization, for reasons that remain entirely unclear to me, but on the whole they tend to be in the minority.

Sorry. Pet peeve. :animeswea

~Dagger~

[FONT=Arial]Yeah, I've been watching the sub, and though they do pronounce it Raito (with the flip, I might add), it [I]is[/I] supposed to be Light (place the Yagami on whatever side you want :p)

Gosh, the music for it is so gorgeous.

As for the dub, the only voice that annoys me is Misa's....but then, I just don't like the way her voice-actor reads lines. Light and L and everyone else sound absolutely fine to me; and this is coming after hearing both versions, through the [spoiler]discovery of the third Killer's identity[/spoiler].

Love the head games in that series.[/FONT]

I'm in the midst of several different animes right now. I've [strike]downloaded[/strike] obtained in a perfectly legal manner 20-something episodes of Code Geass and Escaflowne, both of which I enjoyed thoroughly. I've watched a few more of each on youtube, but I'd like to have them in my possession for continued viewing later on.

I'm also watching Naruto Shippuden when it updates, but my feelings on it are kind of here and there. I think it's better watched one episode after another, as scenes sometimes have a tendency to drag on. :p

With Code Geass and Escaflowne, though, each episode has its own merits; it's not just building up towards a big finish down the line.

[quote name='MoyakuKeramushe']Is Death Note really that good? My gf loved it, but I haven't bothered to actually check it out, and I'm starting to feel I missed out on something.[/quote]
[FONT=Arial]I like it. But then, I'm an insanely mental person who was raised on Holmes and Bond, so I love the whole mind-games thing. It's like watching a really good chess match, with living pieces.[/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]Yeah, I've been watching the sub, and though they do pronounce it Raito (with the flip, I might add), it [I]is[/I] supposed to be Light (place the Yagami on whatever side you want :p)
[/FONT][/quote]

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]I've been switching back and forth from subbed to dubbed.

I think the English voice actors are fine.

However, in the manga, it was translated as Raito, and then somewhere along the line they had to switch it to Light due to the writers or somesuch thing.

And while this part is boring, I don't want to stop watching in case something interesting happens.

Which I'm certain will. :D
[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]I like it. But then, I'm an insanely mental person who was raised on Holmes and Bond, so I love the whole mind-games thing. It's like watching a really good chess match, with living pieces.[/FONT][/quote]
You, sir, are a good man. As Holmes is probably my favorite fictional character, it seems as though Death Note may just be my kind of thing. I will be adding it to my "To Read/Watch" list.

[COLOR=#6d527f][SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"]So I finally was able to catch up on Gundam 00 and I don't think my heart can take it anymore.

If it wasn't enough [spoiler]to kill of Lockon they had to run salt in the wound by killing just about every other person that matters in ONE episode is just too much.[/spoiler] Code Geass R2 better make up for this Sunrise.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]Now I remember another gripe I had about the Death Note dub.

They named the thief "Weddy"? [I]"Weddy"?!?![/I]

In the sub, it's frikking [I][U]Wendy[/U][/I]. GAH!![/FONT][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"]Hah, oh how I love the joy of watching dubs only. :p

So whatever episode number that was of [b]Death Note[/b] I just saw, was a real heart pumper. And not much of anything actually went down. So I wonder if next weeks episode will be just as good. (with the title being called Frenzy)

Also saw [b]Bleach[/b]. I keep telling myself to stick with it to see how the Byakuya and Ichigo fight will turn out, because every single fight so far has been really disappointing. (Misleading) Sometimes I question people (in my mind) for saying that Bleach has some "astounding" action. (LIES) Now I fully understand why some people say that they will only read the manga.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]Now I remember another gripe I had about the Death Note dub.

They named the thief "Weddy"? [I]"Weddy"?!?![/I]

In the sub, it's frikking [I][U]Wendy[/U][/I]. GAH!![/FONT][/QUOTE]
That can't be right... it's Weddy in the manga. If the subs say differently, someone screwed up.

(Again, my apologies. It's like I can't control myself when I see people talking about names in Death Note. :animeswea)

~Dagger~