OtakuBoards

What are You Watching/Reading Now?

2010DigitalBoy

[FONT="Tahoma"]I'm currently watching [B]Trigun[/B]. ^_^ Which so far is wonderfully funny. I just love how wacky Vash is. Now for reading, since I've watched [B]Pretear[/B], I'm now reading the manga, which is fun because of the differences between it and the anime. It's fun how even some of the character designs are slightly different too.[/FONT]

Still hitting up the new season, a couple episodes at a time.

Watched so far: Allison & Lilia (as mentioned previously), Itazura na Kiss (not so much watched as dropped like a hot potato), Kurenai, xxxHOLiC Kei, Blassreiter, Nabari no Ou.

Out of those, I'll be keeping [B]xxxHOLiC[/B], though I don't know if I'll watch every single episode... I'll at least make sure to see the ones that are based on chapters from the manga that I liked. Also [B]Blassreiter[/B], which sports some pretty horrific CG, but I think the story is going to be a winner. It's amusing to see people assume the worst of the plot already; it would hardly do for them to explain everything in the first episode, would it?

[B]Nabari no Ou[/B] wasn't on my radar at all until, like, half an hour ago, but I totally dug episode 1. The bony character designs are super awkward in regular animation, but the fight scenes are actually pretty awesome. I love the seiyuu and the main character. Modern-day ninjas for the win.

Will give Kurenai another episode before I decide. Am avoiding Code Geass R2 (there's no way I could go back to Geass after Gundam 00) and the sudden rash of furry-moe shows. Spice and Wolf was enough to satisfy me in that department.

Am up to episode 26 of [b]Shugo Chara[/b]. Is this a 52-episode show, or does it not have a predetermined cut-off point? Well, either way, we're clearly at a turning point. I hear there's going to be a new OP for ep. 27.

~Dagger~

[color=#4B0082][b]The Tower of Druaga[/b] ep1 is all I've watched from spring season so far. It looks like it should be an amusing fantasy/comedy series so I think I'll stick with it. YouTube's high quality stream of it is pretty good, at least as far as streaming video goes. But there's already a 720p HDTV rip with the same subs as the official release floating around....

I got [b]Kanokon[/b] ep1, since Ayako is subbing it and I've liked everything else I've seen from them, but I haven't watched it yet. I'll give it a shot at least. Hopefully there won't be [i]too[/i] much furriness 'cause that does get old kind of fast.

Other than that, I've been watching [b]Maria-sama ga Miteru[/b] between new releases. I've finished the first season and right now I'm about half way through the second. The first thing that struck me about the series was how similar it seemed to Strawberry Panic, which I watched a while ago. The second thing that struck me was how Marimite is better in nearly every way.

From everything I've been hearing, [b]Shugo Chara![/b] is going to be 51 episodes long. I'm up to ep22, which I need to get around to watching.[/color]

[b]Vampire Knight 1[/b]: wtf. I was prepared for something of a letdown, but that really sucked. Granted, I'm probably approaching this show a lot more critically because I enjoy the manga because of certain very specific qualities, all of which were lost in the transition to anime.

The gorgeous art... well, it's not that it's completely gone, but the cheapish production values give off a totally different feel from the lavishly drawn, luxurious-looking manga. That's a pretty heavy blow for a series that one should be able to enjoy solely on the base of art alone. And there isn't a drop of the suppressed eroticism of the manga--derived from the sublime combination of that art + the vampires--to be found in the anime.

Anyway, where did all that lame humor come from??

The only good thing that the anime brings are the seiyuu, particularly Yui Horie as Yuuki and Mamoru Miyano as Zero. Still debating whether I want to stick with it just for my seasonal dose of Miyano acting angsty...

~Dagger~

Guest huxley07
Hi I thought this would be a fun first post. There are a few series im currently devouring but i thought id just stick with the ones im lovin. . Right now ive just started welcome to the NHK. Along with the novel. A great story which at sometimes seems to hit a bit to close for comfort. Aside from that I just picked up Tokyo Majin is turing our nicely and my guilty pleasure for the month is Shuffle!

[quote name='Zombie_Nosh'][COLOR="SeaGreen"][B][I]My Neighbour Totoro[/I][/B] is perhaps the sweetest movie ever! I watched it yesterday. It's one of those films I could watch over and over!
[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[spoiler]That movie sorta hit me as dark near the end. I mean when the little girl started crying and they talked about her mother dying...it was really a sorrowful part of the movie. I was actually shocked to see it. To me it made the rest of the movie seem like an escape from the pain of their everyday world and pain.[/spoiler]

It was still a great flick though. Not my Favorite Miyazaki Flick but a good one for damn sure.

Currently reading Angel Sanctuary - This is a MASTERPIECE. I dont think Ive ever read something so well constructed, which keeps you wanting more and more. It has some strange themes throughout but these make it all the more brilliant. If you have never read this then I advise you do.

Currently watching Naruto - YES I am only just watching Naruto lol, why Ive never watched it before, I duno. Im sure most people have seen this series so I wont say anymore lol...though I do have a question - WHY does Naruto have whiskers? :animestun

I just got the first volume of Honey and Clover! I'd been interested in it for a while, so I got it! I love how funny it is! (I love anything if it makes me laugh!) And...I was just watching Gravitation! SOOOO CUUUUTE!!! K-san is my favorite character! Yay, for military weapons and boy's love together!!!:animeswea

I just finished watching Hajime No Ippo...what an amazing show, probably one of my favorite Animes by far.

I'm about to start watching Zoids Chaotic Century. I've Seen Zoids New Century Zero and Zoids Fuzors and liked them both. But I have a friend telling me Chaotic Century is complete trash and the other, telling me it's great. Can someone give me feed back? Thanks.

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"]I finished reading [b]Death Note[/b] a couple of days ago. Seeing [spoiler]L's and Rem's death last Saturday[/spoiler] made me sort of impatient. I just had to know how [spoiler]they were going to catch Light[/spoiler]. Granted I knew ahead of time, I just had to read up to that point. ^^ Also, I came across a new character that I like. [spoiler]Mello[/spoiler], who reminds me of Envy for some reason. [spoiler]Near[/spoiler] is pretty good, too. I wonder how will they fit the manga in with the remaining 12 episodes.

I'm not watching anything new. I did miss the last two episodes of Black Lagoon though... [/SIZE][/COLOR]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]Having finished Peacemaker Kurogane, I have directed my attention a Ouran High School Host Club. Kind of an odd one, in my opinion. It's like a club for Japanese high school gigolo's.

At first I thought it was going to be another Shojo FanGirl-spawner, but I actually like it. After two days of watching it, I'm on episode 12. Definitely not Peacemaker, thats for sure.[/FONT]

• 4 weeks later...
[SIZE="1"]Started into [B]Nabari no Ou[/B] like Dagger by pure chance when I happened to come across it in the summary of the latest Bleach episode.

I have to say, I like the majority of the characters with the exception of the the main one, something about his almost nihilistic personality and "cute" looks just don't sit with me. Thobari's (Irish ninja FTW !!) absolute fear of technology is hilarious, I'm actually waiting for him to say "I ain't gittin' on no plane!" and my I will probably choke on my own laughter. The plot's quite interesting and rather different to anything I've seen, and then of course there's the top-notch fighting scenes which make it worth a watch.[/SIZE]

[B]Samurai Horror Tales ep 1-2[/B]

So yea this was just some obscure samurai show from Geneon that I picked up before it hit the dirt. Surprisingly it's not bad. I think I am starting to see a plot develop. The characters are decent. The voice acting is scratchy in some spots but not too bad. The animation is a little crude but it's not like...terrible. A decent show for sure.

So I finally broke down and watched an episode of Lucky Star. I was amused. The food talk went on a little too long at the beginning, but other than that it was pretty good. I especially enjoyed the "Lucky Channel" bit near the end.

I also caught an episode of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. That was fun, but watching the dub took away from the experience a little. Are they all supposed to sound that old?

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]I'm always getting the urge to sail in here and say... [B][I]NOTHING![/I][/B] But then I figure it would look really stupid if I was trolling the area I moderate. >_> So... now that I've gotten that bit of spamming out of my system...

I just finished re-watching Fruits Basket and I'm now on to re-watching DNAngel since I haven't seen that in quite a while. I plan on pulling out the manga to DNAngel and re-reading that too. I just wish they'd finish that up since it left off on volume eleven and I really want to see how that finishes. [/FONT][/COLOR]

When it comes to watching, its ALL about Soul Eater and Naruto Shippuden. Definetly the 2 best animes out in Japan right now(other than Bleach, but their fillers are getting a bit annoying.)

As far as reading, I'm def stuck on Naruto and InuYasha(especially with InuYasha about to come to an end. :()

[color=#4B0082]I blew through all of Lucky Star in, like, five days recently. That was my fourth time watching it, which is more than any other series. (Slayers season one is the only other to reach three times.) It continues to cement itself as my favorite anime.

After that I started on [url=http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=6674][u]Chocotto Sister[/u][/url], of which I've seen three episodes so far. It's been plenty cute and funny so far (Neko-nyan Dance~) but I just hope it can stay interesting through all twenty four episodes. Most series of this type that I've seen have gotten stale by the end.

[b]Edit:[/b]
Okay, so the loli fanservice is getting a bit disconcerting. Most of it is used for humor but other times it seems completely random and unnecessary.[/color]

[FONT="Tahoma"]Having finished Fruits Basket I just started watching DNAngel. I've only just started but so far it looks like it will be interesting. I rather like the thief aspect to it as well as how goofy and cute Diaskue is, his character just makes me laugh. :catgirl: Plus so far I really like the music for this show too. [/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="1"]Well today I was finally able to find a sub of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, it was episode 2. but I've read enough of the first episode (manga form) to know what went on. But all I can say about this series is this... what the hell?

What the hell? WHY THE HELL HAVE I MISSED THIS AWESOME SHOW FOR SO LONG! The action, the characters, the animation, I just love it! And even greater news for me, it's finally dubbed, and it will be airing on Sci-fi's Ani-Mondays starting July 28th... damn I can't wait for the is serious to start...

[spoiler]I'm already a Kamina and a Yoko fanboy for christ sakes![/spoiler][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Currently I am watching Gintama, D.Gray-man, and Soul Eater. I watch Bleach, Naruto (shippuuden), Vampire Knight, and Kyou Kara Maou, but I haven't been watching them as regularly. I still download them so I can if I feel like it.

Manga-wise, I generally stick to Naruto and Bleach.