OtakuBoards

Favorite Childhood Toys.

Rachmaninoff

Just to put it simply, what kind of toys did you have when you were a kid and which ones were your favorites and why?

For myself, to be honest I don?t really recall what I played with all that much, I was a little to serious and probably didn?t goof off enough as a kid, but still, one thing I do remember quite clearly was Transformer toys. Those were just the coolest things ever, even though I didn?t watch the show very often. I still loved the cars, trucks and such that turned into robots. I don?t even have any of them anymore, if I remember correctly me and my siblings sort of played with them till they practically fell apart.

The other one I can remember is a few from the Star Wars movies, the first three movies that is. I remember liking all the little sets you could get for different parts of the movie with all the little figures. I think I still have a few pieces from those lying around somewhere.

I also remember liking any type of water gun or using balloons filled with water, when ever it was warm, there probably wasn't a week that went by that there wasn't some sort of huge water fight. Super Soaker's were essential in my neighborhood when I was growing up. Pretty much everyone had one.

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][SIZE="1"]Barbies. Barbie limos, Barbie pools, Barbie babies, Barbie clothes, Barbie shoes, Barbie gymnasts, Barbie Olympics, Spice Girls Barbies... everything Barbie. But no Ken.

Also, my brother and I had THE Supersoakers that everyone wanted. I don't remember water fights that much... but I do remember the Supersoakers... goodness.

A huge thing that my parents did for all the kids in the neighborhood was when we would pull out the sprinkler and hose and a buttload of watercolor paints. We would paint each other and then run through the sprinkler over and over and over and over again... it was so much fun!

Come to think of it, I didn't really play with toys either... my neighborhood was all about playing a game of some sort after dark. Every. Single. Night. Ahh, it was fabulous.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='taperson'][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][SIZE="1"]Barbies. Barbie limos, Barbie pools, Barbie babies, Barbie clothes, Barbie shoes, Barbie gymnasts, Barbie Olympics, Spice Girls Barbies... everything Barbie. But no Ken.

Also, my brother and I had THE Supersoakers that everyone wanted. I don't remember water fights that much... but I do remember the Supersoakers... goodness.

A huge thing that my parents did for all the kids in the neighborhood was when we would pull out the sprinkler and hose and a buttload of watercolor paints. We would paint each other and then run through the sprinkler over and over and over and over again... it was so much fun!

Come to think of it, I didn't really play with toys either... my neighborhood was all about playing a game of some sort after dark. Every. Single. Night. Ahh, it was fabulous.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"]My brother and I got in the worst fights with the hose and our supersoaker. He always won.

I also had what would be considered $400 worth of legos, barbies, lincoln logs, a hand me down bike and an awesome scooter...that I had to sell a year after before I moved to England.

When I lived in Illinois with my two best friends' families, we'd play capture the flag, rollerblade, and run and slide on ice.

Yeah, not many toys growing up. We made our toys out of ice, trash bags, etc. Oh, I did LOVE my friend's Sega Genesis and Playstation.[/COLOR]

[font=arial]I don't remember having a lot of toys. When I was in elementary school there were only two things I wanted: a game boy and either an Nintendo 64 or a Playstation. I was never really interested in Barbies or Bratz or whatever.

I do still have a doll that my grandma gave me for my first birthday, though, and though I've gotten over it, I used to be uncomfortable sleeping without her. The thought of giving her away still makes me upset, though, haha.

Nowadays all my toys are musical instruments and stuff. I first got an acoustic guitar when I was in the fourth grade, so I guess that counts as a favorite childhood toy.[/font]

My favorite childhood toy was a little stuffed horse named Charlie. Yes, I know, like the leg cramp. You got to give me a break, I named him when I was 3. I got him while I was in the hospital after I had a farming accident where I had to have my index finger amputated. He is a bit like a security blanket. At night in the hospital when my parents had to leave he would be with me.

I remember taking him to school for show and tell. He was also the stuffed animal I would always take on vacations. He has traveled quite a bit. Charlie even had a special place at my wedding. He's a bit worse for the wear but he still has, and always will, be my favorite toy.

When I was a kid, I had all sorts of action figures, WWF(E) Wrestlers, GI-Joes, Power Rangers, Stone Protectors (sp?), etc. But out of all of my action figures, the Ninja Turtles toys were my favorite. I didn't own all of the characters, but I had enough characters to play with everyday. I remember having a lot fun just smashing the turtles against random characters from different cartoon series. Plus, seeing how crossovers rarely ever occurred in cartoons, it was pretty cool to make it happen with the toys.

[COLOR="Red"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]My favorite toys would have to Babies and these MyScene dolls. I really loved them.

My sis and I would create "worlds" for them and would play with them for about a few weeks then we would destroy it and build another "world."

I never really wanted a GameBoy or Nintendo. I thought that they were nerdy. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"][COLOR=#35425e][CENTER][b]TROLLS!!![/b][/CENTER]

Yep, yep! I had more fun playing with Troll hair than Hollywood Hair/Rapunzel Barbie. My troll came with a white hat, a white, paint-stained jumper and a small bucket of blue (or was it pink?) paint. Ah, no. I think it was pink paint and blue hair. Blue hair that I'd gel into two spikes and poke my sisters with. 'Twas a very good, child-friendly toy indeed.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT="Arial Narrow"][COLOR="Green"]I happen to have 2 toys that are very memorable to me.

The first is K'nex. I remember getting a set from my parents on Christmas when I was 9. They were the best, back then and now. I remember that my one great achievement with them was building a sword that could "fold" down, and with one swipe, pop out to full length. I called it my light saber design:animesmil

I also remember designing vehicles with my cousins, which we would then take outside and race.

The second favorite toy is my stuffed Little Foot. I got him when I was about 3, and till this day, even after I moved away from home, he still hangs out in my room.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]My first obsession ever was toy cars. I was like 2 or 3 and I spent all day lining up cars. According to my mom, I always lined them up in a straight line, biggest to smallest. To my mom, this was adorable, but when I think about it, I find it frightening :animedepr From that time period, there was also a [B]BJ [/B]plushie from [B]Barney [/B]that I carried around everywhere.

The first show with excessive merchandice that I ever got into was[B] Power Rangers[/B]. I have a truckload of Power Rangers action figures. My favorite was the blue ranger, [B]Billy[/B]. My brother's was the pink ranger, [B]Kimberly[/B]. No, he has not yet heard the end of this XD.

Next was [B]Beast Wars[/B]. I have all of the original series of beast wars toys, as well as the greater majority of every series after that. We were young, so they got broken a lot, to my mom's uber-chagrin. Eventually, she rebuilt every last one and put them all in plastic bags in a bucket not to be touched until we were older.

We also have always had a freaking buhmillion random action figures of unknown origin. From random Kng-Fu guys to whatever shows were on TV when I was too young to remember. We also have all kinds of stuffed animals from said TV shows from when my bro and i were kids to when my youngest brother was little.

[B]Godzilla [/B]is another big one. We have a lot of the characters, from [B]Rodan [/B]to that drill guy to a thousand different godzillas of different variety. After the American movie there were a lot of soldiers to be bought as well. My ultimate Godzilla toy is a two-foot version of the one from the hollywood film that I got for my birthday (it's broken of course)

Before Godzilla was [B]Jurassic Park/The Lost World[/B]. I have all the dinosaurs including the fusion dinosaurs, which I'm not sure why they existed. I've got all the vehicles from te second movie and half the damn cast as well. i even had one of the megacampers and the T-rex to come after it. My favorite is the T-rex that can eat your other toys and you pull then from his stomach even if his throat was too small for most of them.

Around age 8-9 was the [B]Pokemon [/B]obsession. While we have a few hundred toys of Pokemon, it doesn't even slightly compare to the card collection. We have at least 5000 Pokemon cards, I am not even remotely joking.

Anything after that I wouldn't consider to be childhood, considering I'm only 16. As you can see, I've lived a very spoiled life. I never wanted one toy, I wanted them all. I was a franchise kid, too, never really got into any of the fad toys like yo-yos or anything.[/COLOR]

Well, since I was born in 1992 I would say that my favorite [I]toy[/I] would be the Nintendo/Super Nintendo. Great times. After school I would always head straight to my room and play games like: Mario, Zelda, Super Punch out, Power Rangers (any of em'), and the best game of all time, Tetris Attack.

Around when I was four or five, the Nintendo 64 came out. Great times with great fun. I still play that game system to this day (sometimes at least). When I was young I would say that these games are fun, but they aren't really v.v''
Some games like: Perfect dark, Pokemon Snap, Doom, Turok 64, and the game I still play to this day... Pokemon Puzzle League!

Those are only some of the games I used to play when I was younger. ;)

[SIZE="1"][B]Action Man[/B] was a big one between myself and my brother, we had a lot of fun with those figures when we were kids, even if the special ones, like Parachute Action Man didn't happen to parachute when you threw him out of a two-story window. I distinctly remember having to rescue our sister's Barbies as a crack Ranger team when they were kidnapped by Dr. X. Good times.

The other big thing between us was [b]Lego[/b], off hand I would have no idea how much we spent on it over the years but we had three big containers of it which we invariably spilled out all over a blanket and spent an entire days just building stuff and having fun. Pirate Lego was the really popular one, and we had some pretty violent adventures, which for some reason I always lost...

Good thread Rach, brings back a lot of good memories.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]The first toys that I really remember liking a lot were ones that I got shortly after Star Wars first came out back in 1977. From mock laser rifles to dolls to all sorts of stuff. All of us even had Star Wars blankets for our beds. Heh. Anyway, I, along with my brothers and my sister, spent hours and hours playing with those toys. I even remember begging my mom to play the record [[SIZE="1"]yes I do mean record, literally! cd's were not the format for recorded music yet :p[/SIZE]] Anyway, she would play Vader's theme so all of us could march around the house in a silly and ridiculous fashion. We had so much fun doing all of that.

I've had other toys like an easy bake oven that I really liked, but nothing got played with as much as those Star Wars toys did. I even have a few of them still hanging around somewhere, even if they are worn enough to simply fall apart. [/FONT][/COLOR]

I played [I]a lot[/I] when I was a kid (and still in my preteens). I used to immerse myself into my own imaginary world for hours and hours. Oh the adventures and the worlds I came up with...

Before school, I was a really girly boy, and I had [B]My Little Ponies[/B] and other girls' toys. Then they changed to [B]Turtles[/B] figurines and [B]Legos[/B] - lots and lots of legos. I also played with thsoe miniature figurines I got from [B]Kinder Surprise Eggs[/B].

Alas, the Ponies were given away when I found out I was a boy (;P), the Turtles my mother sold, and the Kinder Surprises got lost when I left home, but I still got most of my Legos at my granny's place (she's the one who used to buy me those).

My dearest toy is also my oldest, a stuffed WWF snow leopard called [B]Leo[/B] (duh! XP). I got it on my third birthday, and here he still is, sitting next to me on a bench with a whole sleuth of much newer stuffed animals I've gotten from my boyfriend (they each have their own name, personality and voice, just to add a freaky detail). There are also other toys in my current appartment, such as ten Final Fantasy figurines (not really playable...), a Biker Mice From Mars figurine (Throttle), and a half-painted Munny.

So yeah, I miss my childhood and the innocence of it...

[size=1]Aww man, toys were stupidly important to me as a kid. And yet I still managed to find the time to get outside as well as stay inside and play my Mega Drive all the time! Sonic 3 FTW!

Pretty much any cartoon series or line of toys/action figures you can think of, I had boxes of. Spider-Man, X-Men and pretty much any other line of Marvel comics toys were particular favourites. Then there was obviously the Lego, Transformers, Action-Man, G.I.Joe, Plastic Guns/swords, Ghostbusters (action figures and wearable Proton-packs! ^_^), Toy cars, water pistols and so on.

And now here I am sitting doing mostly nothing for the majority of my days. Dude, my life's really gone down hill since childhood![/size]

[COLOR="Blue"]When I was growing up, I didn't have to many toys. My mom and dad used the old love excuse on me to screw me out of them. I had toys only on my birthday, and Christmas. That's it. Those days the big toys were "G.I. Joe", "Transformers", and "Masters Of the Universe." I was given [B]RODIMUS PRIME[/B] for my birthday once. I had hardly any Transformers, Masters of the universe, or G.I. Joes. I felt so left out.
I do remember I once got a few [B]Starcom[/B] toys one year. These things were cool. They were space ships, and stuff that had pop-out parts, tons of cool weapons, magnetic parts on every toy, and motor powered parts.

One birthday, I was lucky enough to get [B]VOLTRON[B]. I was like a god for a week at school. Not many people I knew had Voltron, because it was so rare.

I then got into LEGOS. I was a big fan of SPACE legos, and CASTLE. This is when legos started useing magnets with their sets. I collected LEGOS for a long long time. I had all kinds of space ships, and forts. You name it. M-TRON, BLACKTRON, ICE PLANET, SPIROUS, EXSPLORIANS, UFOS, INSECTIODS, that was me.
I tried other lego themes, like ALPHA TEAM, a spy themed one with high-tech gadgets, and cool stuff. And ADVENTURERS, that had this 1930's/40's pulp feel. Kinda like "Indiana Jones." It was the adventures of Johnny Thunder as he found treasures, fought villans, that kind of thing.

I had some BATMAN figures for a time. I even had a collection of TMNT figures.

Some time ago, Lego released some anime inspired sets called "EXO-FORCE." It's legos and GIANT ROBOTS. I got to admit, these look pretty cool.

"KAMEHAMEHA!"

Dragonmanm2[/COLOR]

There were many toys I played with, but my favorite were the Legos. I loved playing with Legos. I use to build everything. During daycare my friend and I would sit there building huge walls before my dad came to pick me up. In elementary school there were these different shape blocks you can use to create different patterns. When we have freetime I would sit there creating so many patterns and other shapes. That was fun. I also had little toys I have gotten from kids' meals and would sit there and play with them.

I even played with hairbows as if they were toys while my grandmother or mother did my hair which takes a long time. My grandma also had these small mini statues on her television too that I played around with. Those were good times. ^_^

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]It's true. My toys would kick your toys *****. Turtles? Yeah, sure, I like the Turtles. Transformers? Yeah, okay, I have a lot of those but the cream of the crop for me when I was a kid were toys that would make you namby-pamby members scream when you were little.

Terminator, Robo-Cop, and hell yeah; Predator toys. Oh yes.

Termintor toys with interchangable heads and arms and stuff, Robo-Cop toys with breakaway armor pieces. Fated battles in my bedroom every night.

Another set of toys I rather enjoyed were Hot Wheels. Leadin' the way! Maybe that one was for Matchbox. Whatever. Cars are cars.
Personally I liked the real version Hot Wheels more then the fantasy versions but, hey, cars are cars.[/COLOR][/SIZE]