OtakuBoards

Geneon is Dead

2010DigitalBoy

[url=http://animenation.net/news/]Read Here[/url]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Geneon Entertainment[/B] (formerly Pioneer Entertainment) has officially ended distrobution of anime in North America. They will release all the things scheduled through November 6th, but all other releases and liscences are cancelled.

This is an utterly horrible tragedy for American anime fans. Geneon is the company I've always known as my favorite for bringing over quite a few of my favorite titles ([B]Lain[/B] , [B]Gankutsuou[/B], [B]Haibane Renmei[/B]) and now they will not be producing any of those series anymore. Not only that but shows like [B]Rozen Maiden[/B] [B]Traumend[/B] and [B]Higurashi no Naku Koro ni[/B] (thank the gods I didn't buy the box like I'd wanted to!) have been cut off midway. Also, anime that has been liscenced like [B]Zero no Tsukaima [/B]will not be released and unless ADV or something picks them u, will never see the light of day in America.

Let us all hold a moment of silence for the death of one of the best American anime releasing companies... and then rush out to purchase every series we have wanted from them. [/COLOR]

I can't say I had a particularly deep attachment to them or anything, but they released a lot of stuff that other companies probably wouldn't touch. And it's really unfortunate about the shows that will be cut off midway through being released. Kyo Kara Maoh fans especially will get burned--out of eighteen discs, the last three miss the deadline. So close, and yet so far...

It's also pretty upsetting for something as supremely awesome as Black Lagoon to get shafted. I'd like to think that other companies can license-rescue it & other titles, including the as yet unreleased licenses, but I have a feeling that rights difficulties might make this tough, if not impossible... :animedepr

~Dagger~

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=gray]Yes it is horrible news indeed, it's a real shame ADV dropped out of the deal to pick up all the Geneon titles. I just hope that someone rises to the occasion and picks some of the titles up, because having a half finished anime isn't any good any way you look at it.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Veritas'][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=gray]Yes it is horrible news indeed, it's a real shame ADV dropped out of the deal to pick up all the Geneon titles. I just hope that someone rises to the occasion and picks some of the titles up, because having a half finished anime isn't any good any way you look at it.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Not to mention it's liable to cause a revolt in which everyone goes straight to fansubs if they haven't already. The rallying cries echoe over the internet.

Anyway, many such as myself are militaristically forming our lists of 'to buy' Geneon titles and preparng for a storm of purchases. My friends, tonight... we dine... in your local retailer or online shop![/COLOR]

I've gotta say that this news bums me out pretty bad. I'm a big fan of [B]Black Lagoon [/B]and the thought of it getting shafted gives me shivers. Not to mention that I am collecting the [B]Higurashi no Naku Koro ni [/B]series. This news kinda makes my day a little less sunny, which is bad considering it's done nothing but rain here today anyway.

I'm holding out hope that some one will rise to the occassion and pick up at least most of Geneons now abandonned titles.

Geneon You are gone but not forgotten. And you will be missed.

From what I heard it is because ADV kicked em in the nuts on a merger. They were suppose to combine companies or something and ADV backed out somehow screwing Genon. That's only what I heard though it might be false. I have a hunch that ADV is going to pick up a good number or licenses Genon lost. Which would be great in my opinion since ADV usually puts it's stuff out for much cheaper. If that happens I would say this was a good thing. But if it doesn't turn out like that oh well.

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR=darkorange]Not to mention it's liable to cause a revolt in which everyone goes straight to fansubs if they haven't already. The rallying cries echoe over the internet.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkorange]Anyway, many such as myself are militaristically forming our lists of 'to buy' Geneon titles and preparng for a storm of purchases. My friends, tonight... we dine... in your local retailer or online shop![/COLOR][/quote][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=gray] I tried to make a list but it started to get too long, there is just too much stuff that I'd like to see. It's like a nightmare come true I tell you. Hopefully I'll be able to swoop in and rescue a few of the abandoned animes.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

The only good thing about this is I haven't actually bought anything made by this company so I don't have to worry about being stuck without being able to finish getting a series. Still, that really sucks that they won't be around anymore. I should see if they have a series that I was thinking about and snatch it up before they run out. Provided everything isn't gone by the time I get paid again since my first pay check of the month always goes to rent and such. XP

This is horrible news, Geneon had been 1 of my favorites too, too bad for us Americans I guess, we must go along with the other companys, but Im not going to stop watching the anime Geneon has given us already, they did a excellent job.

Guest RogueWarrior869
Gah, I hope this doesn't hurt Saiyuki.
They will be missed, I'm pretty sure they do a few other anime I like. I'll have to look at list or something later.:animesigh.

Have a good day or night or both or whatever.:catgirl:.

[quote name='RogueWarrior869']Gah, I hope this doesn't hurt Saiyuki.
They will be missed, I'm pretty sure they do a few other anime I like. I'll have to look at list or something later.:animesigh.

Have a good day or night or both or whatever.:catgirl:.[/QUOTE]

The box set for reload gunlock...or whatever the hell is cancelled. I think the singles are still out though.

• 1 month later...
[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"]This company went under recently and it makes me upset and mad. They do not know when they will be back and they had to lay off all of their sales people. This means that series that they have been working on will be discontinued till further notice. Kyo Kara Maoh! is one of them. Any thoughts?[/SIZE][/COLOR]

That is quite a surprise, they had a lot of good anime series that they put out which are some of my favorite like Soultaker, Texhnolyze, Samurai Champloo, and Trigun.What is the reason to why they have shutdown, if anyone knows?

AoD's [url=http://www.animeondvd.com/specials/year-in-review/2007inreview.php?view=5][u]Year in Review[/u][/url] for Geneon summarizes a few reasons why it may have happened. I would say that the clearest reason is the market slump, though.

~Dagger~