OtakuBoards

Ah, The Good Old Days...

JCBaggee

[color=darkred][size=1]So I've been poking around this "Otakupedia" today and I've seen a lot of people that I've not seen or heard from in ages. So, I was posting this to see how many of the old guard are still around? What have you guys been up to? Favorite moments?

This is more of a catch up and see where everyone is thread. I, myself, have not been around regularly since 2003-ish, despite the occasional post and attempts at regularly returning. Anybody else in the same boat?

--Chris[/color][/size]

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Compared to then, it is kind of...too formal. Nothing is flourishing unless you are obsessed with games, anime or roleplaying. If you are casual fans, you'll find yourself interested in posting once in a blue moon. I miss the old days and the old times. I miss Syk, Shinmaru, OtakuSennen, KKC, Deathknight you know, those guys...who...you know, used to post a lot. Now, nothing fun, nothing interesting. B-O-R-I-N-G

Why do I find myself coming back? I cannot even answer that. Oh well.
[/COLOR]

[color=#606060]You will only find nothing if you don't look - and if you aren't willing to embrace new members. Refusing to move with the times can mean that you suddenly find that you don't know anyone anymore, because your old friends have since moved on.

That's why I always try to get involved with new members all the time. It means that the site never becomes alien to me, because I still know quite a lot of people.

Having said that, my job is keeping me so busy these days that it's hard for me to visit OB for long periods of time anymore. That's a big shame because there are quite a few RPGs I'd be interested in joining (Silver One looks great; it sucks that I missed the boat on that!).[/color]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='James'][color=#606060] (Silver One looks great; it sucks that I missed the boat on that!).[/color][/QUOTE]We would have certainly loved having you in said boat. ^_~

Anyway, I joined back in February of 2005, sure the activity had fluctuated a lot but at the same time, just as James said, since I first joined I've made lots of friends, so even though others move on and don't come anymore, it's still fun and I suspect that next year I'll be saying these were the good old days and so on. I've never reached the point of thinking the past was somehow better. lol

There are people I miss of course, but then that's really no different than how work and life is on the outside as well. [quote name='DeathKnight'][color=crimson]I visit whenever someone lights up the DK-signal and alerts me to trouble.[/color][/QUOTE]Now I find out. Figures. I would have lit that signal more often if I knew it existed. ^_~ [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='SunfallE'][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]Anyway, I joined back in February of 2005, sure the activity had fluctuated a lot but at the same time, just as James said, since I first joined I've made lots of friends, so even though others move on and don't come anymore, it's still fun and I suspect that next year I'll be saying these were the good old days and so on. I've never reached the point of thinking the past was somehow better. [/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Wait, I've been here longer than Sunfall? Hm, now I really feel old. I guess technically you could say I've been around since... *frowns* Well, with this account, 2003.

[b]EDIT:[/b] I correct myself. This account has been since March 6 of '04, the others were '03.

Honestly, I kind of miss the whole newbie feeling. Once you've been here for a while, and your name STILL doesn't bring fear to newbs in the Adventure Arena, it leaves a rather sucky feeling. =/

Still, it does bring satisfaction knowing you've been here that long and survived. Lets see, does anyone remember the ages of the rap battles and the infamous DBD vs. Lone Bebop battles? Those were a treat to watch.

You have a signal? I think it may be getting rusty, then; no one ever uses it. >:/

And James, I'm sure they appreciate (or will learn to) the fact that you still make an effort to be around the newbies. I know I did. Especially when you ask for banner help, since we know you're so adept at that to begin with.[/SIZE]

[size=1]I joined back around 2003, posted a lot in the Arena... in fact I didn't even move from there. But you know, that'd getting a bit dead. Four years and [i]still[/i] nobody notices me ¬_¬ how nice. Actually, I don't really mind. I think someone said I was overlooked on OB, can't remember who that was... but yeah that's kinda true now XD

I remember KKC, my partner in crime haha (we stole Jokopoko's pants). There were some well cool old members, Dmitri Dragoon, I remember you as well Stephanie, Mighty Kai, most of the kids who were in the Sands of Time RPG were cool as well. I only made friends through my RPGs I think.

The old days were good. RPGs lasted longer, people didn't really care [i]too[/i] much about quality. I dunno. It's still fun, but I know what people mean when they say it gets boring. When you first join it's fun, when you're here for awhile it's fun, but when you're here for three years and barely known? Yeaaaaah.

The new generation of newbies this time round is pretty cool though. And I definitely remember the battle Arena... well fun forum ^_^[/SIZE]

[quote]years and still nobody notices me ¬_¬ how nice. Actually, I don't really mind. I think someone said I was overlooked on OB, can't remember who that was... but yeah that's kinda true now [/quote]

[color=#606060]I notice you! And quite a few staff mention you when it comes to great RPGs.

Funnily enough I was going to join This is Earth, but I could not decide on a character, lol.[/color]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='Fiacha;792546][SIZE="1"]Wait, I've been here longer than Sunfall? Hm, now I really feel old. I guess technically you could say I've been around since... *frowns* Well, with this account, 2003. [/SIZE][/QUOTE]Hehe, sometimes, I feel like I've been here forever. :catgirl: I may not have been here as long... But I'm definitely one of the older members in terms of real age. lol [quote name='Vicky'][size=1]I joined back around 2003, posted a lot in the Arena... in fact I didn't even move from there. But you know, that'd getting a bit dead. Four years and [i]still[/i] [B]nobody notices me [/B']¬_¬ how nice. Actually, I don't really mind. I think someone said I was overlooked on OB, can't remember who that was... but yeah that's kinda true now XD[/SIZE][/quote]Oh so not true. ^_~ I didn't follow it faithfully but I remember Gifts and Curses since I considered joining it. You wouldn't know it but when I was getting ready to start my first RPG, I was nervous about managing to do as good a job as you do with yours! :catgirl:[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='James'][color=#606060]I notice you! And quite a few staff mention you when it comes to great RPGs.

Funnily enough I was going to join This is Earth, but I could not decide on a character, lol.[/color][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]And yet, still not noticing me. ;_; You make me cry, James. Shame!

I'm kidding. Vicky, hun, you're a legend! If I could just find the time to get on here everyday for long enough to post in multiple threads, I could do well. Anyone else remember when Ezekiel and I RPed together? She's an Arena mod now. So is Ozy... who I also used to RP with.[/SIZE]

[color=hotpink][size=1]I still try to come visit once in a while!

I like the OB still, but the longness of posts in every single thread (which is great, because we always strived [strove? I have no idea, lol] for quality posts) is so daunting and I can't ever get myself to read everything!

I popped in here to give an announcement, and I guess this thread is as good as any:

I'm having a baby! <3 Just found out, and I'm about 8 weeks along. Exciting times! [/color][/size]

[quote name='Queen Asuka'][color=hotpink][size=1]I still try to come visit once in a while!

I like the OB still, but the longness of posts in every single thread (which is great, because we always strived [strove? I have no idea, lol] for quality posts) is so daunting and I can't ever get myself to read everything!

I popped in here to give an announcement, and I guess this thread is as good as any:

I'm having a baby! <3 Just found out, and I'm about 8 weeks along. Exciting times! [/color][/size][/QUOTE]

[color=darkred][size=1]Does this mean we need an OB Baby Shower thread? 0_o

--Chris[/color][/size]

[quote name='JCBaggee'][color=darkred][size=1]Does this mean we need an OB Baby Shower thread? 0_o

--Chris[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]You know something? I think that's the ONLY kind of thread we haven't had yet.[/SIZE]

[color=#4B0082]I've been around since September 6, 2001, and have seen the good, the bad, and the ugly of OB. I've made a lot of friends through the site and also watched as many moved on. One year I was corrupting GinnyLyn, another I was kicking Shinmaru in the nads, and now I've got a following of fangirls. There definitely were some good old times but, honestly, I enjoy the present OB just as much as in the past.

And congratulations, Tori! Are you going to name it after an OB member? :o[/color]

[quote name='Queen Asuka'][color=hotpink][size=1]I popped in here to give an announcement, and I guess this thread is as good as any:

I'm having a baby! <3 Just found out, and I'm about 8 weeks along. Exciting times! [/color][/size][/QUOTE]

[color=#606060]Oh wow, you should have posted a thread about this!

Any idea on baby names yet? Or, for that matter...will you be finding out the gender before it is born? (I know a few people who like to wait for that).[/color]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="1"]Mhm.

I haven't been around a very long time, but it does seem like its been ages since I've been on here! I don't think I was favoured by many because of my conservative views that I had.. but hey, someone had to be on the other side of the argument right? xD

I do still lurk around the Boards once in a blue moon. When everyone lays their heads to sleep at night, I run around all by myself. Hehe.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='Esther'][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="1"]Mhm.

I haven't been around a very long time, but it does seem like its been ages since I've been on here! I don't think I was favoured by many because of my conservative views that I had.. but hey, someone had to be on the other side of the argument right? xD

I do still lurk around the Boards once in a blue moon. When everyone lays their heads to sleep at night, I run around all by myself. Hehe.[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]I wondered what happened to you. ^_~ Even if your views differed it didn't mean they weren't welcome. If I recall correctly you started a thread about Mormons as well as one about religion in general.

Besides you're one of the few people I know who lives in Utah like I do. :catgirl:[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='SunfallE'][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]I wondered what happened to you. ^_~ Even if your views differed it didn't mean they weren't welcome. If I recall correctly you started a thread about Mormons as well as one about religion in general.

Besides you're one of the few people I know who lives in Utah like I do. :catgirl:[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Utah, huh? Now I know where to find you both. >.>

We didn't forget about you, Esther, in fact J-chan, Korey and I were just wondering where you had gone. And if you run around at night, I'll join you. I get up at to-damn-early anyway.

Members who perform disappearing acts, where exactly DID the voluptuous Annie-goddess go? I seemed to have missed the transition from my last hiatus.[/SIZE]

[color=#4B0082]Annie is still around as [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/member.php?u=6652][u]Athena[/u][/url], though she isn't very active anymore. She seems to go missing for months at a time.

I miss playing Guild Wars with her. It was so hilarious when she got a jungle troll minipet for her character's birthday and totally cracked up as it roared away at her heels. I don't think I'll ever forget that.[/color]

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"][CENTER][IMG]http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/7835/byahmi8.png[/IMG][/CENTER]

Ah, the good old days... When moderating met it's doom. I'd go back to it any day. Can't believe my uber rules were replaced. Pfft... Gg, James, gg :).

[b]R.I.P[/b]: Post your picture forum.[/FONT]

[SIZE="1"]It's just over six years since I joined, just a few weeks after V3 was launched, so I've got plenty of fond memories of this place and it's members. While I think James has a point in saying that if you don't get to know the newer members, you'll miss out on the fun of OB, I think that it's only natural for people to look back on the fun times we had with people who aren't around any more.

Just speaking from my own perspective I can say the best time I've ever had on this site was writing Black Horizon with Corey, Annie and the others who were involved in that project. Shame is I'm probably the last person of that group who's still online on any kind of a regular basis. But that said, I've had great times with Zeke and others as well, so it's all relative.

One of the bigs things I notice though, in terms of difference between the Arena now and then, is that a lot of oldies aren't involved with new projects with newer members. It's almost like there's a kind of clique-ishness about it. It's sad really, as in the "good old days" a lot of new members, myself included, learned the ropes of role-playing from older members.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Queen Asuka'][color=hotpink][size=1]I'm having a baby! <3 Just found out, and I'm about 8 weeks along. Exciting times! [/color][/size][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Wow. Just wow. There should definitely be a thread on this. Major congratulations Tori.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Queen Asuka'][color=hotpink][size=1]I'm having a baby! <3 Just found out, and I'm about 8 weeks along. Exciting times! [/color][/size][/QUOTE]
Congratulations! I was happy to see you posting in this thread and you've got some exciting news too! Best wishes for a comfortable and trouble-free pregnancy!

Now on the topic of the good ol' days. I've seen many changes around here the past few years. Some good, some bad, but that is just the nature of message boards. People come and go depending on where the winds of life take them. I know I don't post as often since I've been busy with family obligations and my own personal health isn't the best. Oh well, so is life. I do lurk in the dark shadows of the OB, reading, watching, waiting... until the perfect moment to swoop down out of the rafters like a bat and attack!

*ahem* Like I was saying. I am in a bit of lurk mode right now.

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]
Just speaking from my own perspective I can say the best time I've ever had on this site was writing Black Horizon with Corey, Annie and the others who were involved in that project.
[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[size=1][color=darkred]Heh, I IM'd Annie a while back.

She...didn't remember me. >_>

Glad to see so many people still around, and I am trying to get back. Its just hard to swing back in after being gone so long, especially with my bajillion other websites and projects that I'm working on.

--Chris[/color][/size]