OtakuBoards

Right brain vs. Left Brain

Aethon_Liam

I found this link on one of my favorite web-comics rants. It's a test to see whether your right or left brained.

[URL]http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22535838-5012895,00.html?from=mostpop[/URL]

I, myself, am right brained.

The sight also tells you what each side of the brain does.

Point to this thread, which side are you? And can you manage to switch your side? (Explained in the link.)

I also couldn't make myself left brained.

[SIZE=1]I got right brain but you can change the sides - it hurts your eyes though.

But without hurting my eyes I'm still right brained, which isn't really so true because from the definitions given at the side I use both sides just as much as the other. Might just be those definitions though, I'm more creative anyway.

It's hard to switch the dancer back to the other position though =/

[B]EDIT: Oh wait, if you stop staring at it for a bit it goes back... yeaah, figures.[/B][/SIZE]

Holy hell!!!!!!!! That was freaking weird I could see it turning anti-clockwise then turning clockwise, man that kinda freaked me out there but I guess that means that I use both sides of my brain equally then but then again if I just looked at it, it was going anti-clockwise so I'm primarly a left-side brain user. Wow.:o:eek::wow:

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I lold. First I checked, saw a really hot shadow, stared at it a sec, and closed the tab. Then I realized I was actually supposed to look at her, so I did so again.

She turns one way. However, each time I scrolled the mouse she changed directions with lot's of image flickers. Yeah, this is fake guys. [/COLOR]

[quote name='Goodbye, Face'][font=arial][size=1]I checked the frames in ImageReady, it's 34 frames of her just going around in a circle. CLOCKWISE.

There's no trick to it, it's just your eyes.[/font][/size][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Um, the same frames moving backward would be counterclockwise. Doi. [/COLOR]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]I lold. First I checked, saw a really hot shadow, stared at it a sec, and closed the tab. Then I realized I was actually supposed to look at her, so I did so again.

She turns one way. However, each time I scrolled the mouse she changed directions with lot's of image flickers. Yeah, this is fake guys. [/COLOR][/QUOTE][COLOR="SlateGray"]

It's a GIF, not a SWF. There's no programming involved. It's just a succession of images, all of which involve turning clockwise. It's a really neat optical illusion.

I've managed to control it. It involves staring at the shadow; but still, I've showed it to a lot of people and some say it's moving clockwise and others say counter at the same exact time. I'm right-brained, apparently, but according to the descriptions I'd say I'm pan-brained. Ebony and ivory and all that.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Retribution'][font=Arial] I simply don't see how it's at all possible for someone to see it the other way.[/font][/QUOTE]
[COLOR=#001824][SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Well I don't see how you can see it clockwise, it would help if the frames were smoother so there isn't a jump where the picture resets but yeah, I can't see it any other way but counter clockwise[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[font=arial][size=1]Yeah, with GIF's, you can't just say "okay, go backwards now," you'd need 34 frames of it going backwards after it. And if we're saying that it's doing it after a certain amount of spins, you can't just tell a GIF to loop a few times and then switch to another animation. It would need to have multiples of the spinning animation and then the backwards spin, so in order to do that, it'd take HUNDREDS of frames.

Resourcefulness wins over ridiculous cynicism.[/font][/size]

[quote name='Goodbye, Face'][font=arial][size=1]Yeah, with GIF's, you can't just say "okay, go backwards now," you'd need 34 frames of it going backwards after it. And if we're saying that it's doing it after a certain amount of spins, you can't just tell a GIF to loop a few times and then switch to another animation. It would need to have multiples of the spinning animation and then the backwards spin, so in order to do that, it'd take HUNDREDS of frames.

Resourcefulness wins over ridiculous cynicism.[/font][/size][/QUOTE]
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]
>_> My only experience with gifs is that when I save them to my comp, it seperates them into a folder of each individual frame, and I have fun playing them forward and backward.[/COLOR]

[color=#606060]I'm right-brained...kind of glad it was confirmed, because there's no way I could be a left-brained person, lol. I'm just too terrible with math and things like that to have any skill with the left brain. :catgirl:[/color]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]Meh, what an annoying test. For the most part it she seems to be moving clockwise but then it's got these annoying jerks where it seems like she's going counter clockwise. And occasionally it's almost like it's both at the same time. XP Overall, I'd say it was just plain weird. lol [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][quote name='SunfallE'][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]Meh, what an annoying test. For the most part it she seems to be moving clockwise but then it's got these annoying jerks where it seems like she's going counter clockwise. And occasionally it's almost like it's both at the same time. XP Overall, I'd say it was just plain weird. lol [/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]That about sums it up for me too. Ugh. It's annoying when it seems like she's doing both. Makes me want to attempt to fix the picture so it will stop! lol[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]I got it to spin both ways. At first it was completely by accident and i thought it was either a fake or i was losing it. Then i thought about it for a moment and realized it was all a matter of perspective. The chick is blacked out so you can't actually see depth. If you saw depth you'd instantly know which way she was spinning. Also, she has pointy nipples, that distracted me for a bit. Aha!

It's not spinning any one way. It's not spinning at all strictly speaking, it's a 2-D image, there is no rotation in only two dimensions. You have to add a 3rd for rotation (or for the sort of rotation around the y-axis, it's possible to have rotation in 2 dimensions around the z-axis). It's all a mind trick, but totally legit.

After a good amount of effort i was able to control it with some precision. It's all a matter of getting out of focus, convincing yourself it's spinning a certain way, then refocusing. ;D

Lastly, you're an arse-whole for showing this to me. I probably spent 20 minutes staring at it where i should've been doing homework or getting much needed sleep. =P
[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Retribution'][font=Arial]That's what I think too... clockwise, if I'm not mistaken. I simply don't see how it's at all possible for someone to see it the other way.[/font][/QUOTE]That's what I thought, but if I watch it for any length of time, it does both. I'll be watching it spin clockwise and then it just switches to spinning counter clockwise. If I quit watching for a little bit and go back, it does the same, spins one way, then the other and then back again. It doesn't stick to just one direction. [/COLOR]