OtakuBoards

Membership and rpg questions

Darks Anthro

All right I did go out of line but I don't like people who curse on a simple post. Their is no need for your mama stuff either. Ok now thats out of the way, lets talk about something else. Ok her it goes.

All right, since this site exist for anime, manga, and more. Why are their soo few members? If you check the Members List, theirs only 2,800 or so members. Most of them are not active. Maybe even a few years old. But They do post time to time.

Ok, Moderators have been a pain in my back for a while. They closed one of the Threads that I was really getting interesed in. Now I am having a hard time finding a new RPS to get into. Every time a Naruto tread pops up. It gets shut down.

They say we post to little or not enough info. People are not machines and some of us can't type a full 3-4 paragraph post. I say if you give a reason why your post was short or don't put info that is needed, that should surfice for that one post but you can't do it with every post. Maybe a few per week or something like that.

This one Moderator kind of creeps me out. Im not releasing the name of the Moderator for personal reasons but I think he/she hates me.

[SIZE=1]I'm sure there isn't a moderator with a personal vandetta against you.

Well anyway, in response to the RPG thing, it [i]isn't[/i] hard to post 3 or 4 paragraphs. The simple fact is, there are millions of sites out there where one or two lines per post is acceptable - I'm not saying "go somewhere else", I'm just saying OB isn't exactly your run of the mill forum (especially when it comes to role playing). It isn't normally about quantity.

The issue of mods closing RPGs on the grounds of not enough information is that less than three paragraphs is [i]normally[/i] not good quality. Not quantity, quality. There have been RPGs that don't have a background and just a bit of information in the thread about what characters need that haven't been closed because, despite it's shortness, shows quality.

No one on here's a machine (well... I [i]say[/i] that) but people can improve. If you're led to improve your skills and RPGs so they don't get closed then believe me, it'll be a lot better than pushing and pushing until someone lets you run a low-quality RPG. Then after awhile you can right 3-4 [i]pages[/i] per post, let alone paragraphs.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]Since you've moved more into site specific questions which is a different topic altogether and really belongs in the Information Kiosk... I've gone ahead and moved that part of your thread over here. ^_~

Now like I said before, just use the report post button in the top right hand corner of your post and remember, everyone has different ideas as to what they consider appropriate.

Now as for the member bit, the member list isn't really accurate since my understanding is that until someone has over fifty posts they don't show up on the member's list.

As for the post length in rpg's that would be better addressed by someone more familiar with the Theater than I am. I am only familiar with what I expect from the rpg I currently run. And my standards are more demanding than three to four paragraphs.

Your other concern is something that if you feel is a problem is something you can pm either Desbreko or James about. [/FONT][/COLOR]

I don't hate you, dragoonreaper. ;D You're just taking my directions and guidelines way too personal. If I ask you to change or add something in your thread, I'm not doing it to give you a hard time, I'm doing it to help you get your games going.

You can't blame anyone else for your failed RPGs than yourself. People here are accustomed to seeing posts with at least 3-4 paragraphs, so if your posts are shorter than that (in addition to being riddled with grammar issues and typoes), people will think that you are either too lazy or too immature for their taste.

I admit that this board is demanding, and it's not the easiest place to get into, but that's exactly why the older members keep hanging around here - they find this place their exclusive online home.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll find plenty of games to join in the RPG section, even if your own creations have failed. There are several Naruto-games going on right this moment, for example. Just keep your mind and your eyes open! ;D

Cheers!

- Sandy

[FONT=Arial]If I may clarify something here.....

The main issue [I]isn't[/I] that you haven't got enough length for your RPs. It's that you haven't got enough [U]content[/U]. I looked over the threads you started in Auditions (wow, that feels so weird saying Auditions), and there's barely any story concepts presented in any of them. The later ones do have three to four paragraphs to them [I]*cough*[/I], but the RP is still skeletal, and I only picked up a vague clue of what you even wanted to do, let alone if you had somewhere you wanted to go in mind.

Basically, if you would take your concepts?which may or may not be good; I can't tell?and hash out when it is, where it is, [I]what[/I] it is, and who you want in it, then I'd be willing to bet that you'd make the "three paragraph" quota no problem.

Actually, I dare anyone to make a clear, cohesive sign-up for an RP that takes up less than four lines.

Moving onwardly....

[QUOTE][I]All right, since this site exist for anime, manga, and more. Why are their soo few members?[/I][/QUOTE]
People don't come here. Not sure what else to say to that effect....

Could be the quality "restriction". :p

[QUOTE][I]Ok, Moderators have been a pain in my back for a while.[/I][/QUOTE]
Moderators do their jobs. No offense intended, but if moderators are consistently closing your threads, then perhaps you might be at fault.

And [COLOR="DarkRed"]Sandy[/COLOR] creeps me out, too. Don't worry about it. :animesmil

(Only a little.)[/FONT]

[font=franklin gothic medium]The only thing I'd say (since everything has been said so far) is that RPGs are a very particular kind of thing - if you create an Auditions thread you really need to make sure you're covering your bases by providing some context for what you're doing.

The best way to learn is to read other peoples' Auditions threads. This will give you a strong idea about how OB RPGs work. You can also read the sticky threads for more advice.

If you have any other issues, feel free to PM any staff member (including myself) and we'll do our best to help you out.

OB isn't like a lot of anime forums, in that we really try to create a quality atmosphere for members. There are very few anime forums that actually do this. So admittedly it's not for everyone, but it works really well for us. :catgirl: [/font]

[COLOR="77656"]About the mama thing, dude they were joking. If you can't handle a joke, that's your problem not ours. Don't expect to come onto a message board and have that not happen, cause this place isn't going to be all flowers and cookies.

I kind of like the fact that there isn't a lot of active members. It gives this place a sense of tranguility that no other message board has IMO. PLus it's easier to make friends this way.

As for the RPG thing, it's quality and quantity. I've seen one particular member in one of Raiha's old RPG's who posted let's so 5-8 lines and that was it. I mean if you can only add a few lines give a good reason besides, my interet is bad. Type it in wordpad or soemthing.

And people not being able to post 3-4 paragraphs? No, a lot of people are capabale. Otherwise 1 paragraph only gives us an idea of what's going on, we need at least 2 paragraphs more.

As for you dragoon, your grammar and spelling has gotten a lot better.[/COLOR]

[quote name='dragoonreaper']They say we post to little or not enough info. People are not machines and some of us can't type a full 3-4 paragraph post. I say if you give a reason why your post was short or don't put info that is needed, that should surfice for that one post but you can't do it with every post. Maybe a few per week or something like that.[/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]Machines can't write at all.

And writing a long post is [I]not[/I] hard. If you start and find that you have writer's block after a paragraph or two, save what you've written and come back to it later.[/color]

[font=franklin gothic medium]My advice would be to check out other Auditions threads (as well as the sticky threads) before making your own RPG.

OtakuBoards RPGs are unique and so it's often better to see what others are doing before you jump in.

There's no malice or anything behind that, it's just to help you create a successful RPG that you will enjoy. If your RPG doesn't contain the basic ingredients, people are often a lot less likely to join.

If you still have questions or concerns you can always send a PM my way and I'll do what I can to help you. :catgirl: [/font]

[font=arial][size=1]I just realized that the "your mom" thing was what I said. Dude, I got made fun of for saying it, the last thing I need is you actually feeling insulted. It wasn't even directed at anyone, it was just being corny because I did not have a real answer to the survey question.

We're cool, right?[/font][/size]

[quote name='dragoonreaper']All right I did go out of line but I don't like people who curse on a simple post. Their is no need for your mama stuff either. Ok now thats out of the way, lets talk about something else. Ok her it goes.

All right, since this site exist for anime, manga, and more. Why are their soo few members? If you check the Members List, theirs only 2,800 or so members. Most of them are not active. Maybe even a few years old. But They do post time to time.

Ok, Moderators have been a pain in my back for a while. They closed one of the Threads that I was really getting interesed in. Now I am having a hard time finding a new RPS to get into. Every time a Naruto tread pops up. It gets shut down.

They say we post to little or not enough info. People are not machines and some of us can't type a full 3-4 paragraph post. I say if you give a reason why your post was short or don't put info that is needed, that should surfice for that one post but you can't do it with every post. Maybe a few per week or something like that.

This one Moderator kind of creeps me out. Im not releasing the name of the Moderator for personal reasons but I think he/she hates me.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]lol, sorry for swearing at you, didn't know better. You should probably put a notice or something on you posts like 'don't swear in your replies, please.' In any event, you're cool with me bro, this thread gave me a good laugh so you get points for that.

As fo actually aswering your question about the tiny memberbase, it is mainly due to the fact that the actual parts of the site that deal with anime and manga aren't very highly active, and those of us who post the most in those sections aren't usually discussing mainstream anime (very frequent use of the word 'Narutard' on my part, especially).

Believe me, there has never been a moderator of the RPG section who wasn't a bloodthirsty hellhound deadset on bannination o_o I've been down that road, my friend, as well. [/COLOR]

I don't do rpgs...but like aren't you suppose to make a whole setting for it? that should have a pretty large length if that is the case. Oh and the lack of people is...cuz there is a lack of people. OB can't help it if it doesn't get 7000 members a day like Gaia(which is crap by the way). At least this way you can actually have a conversation with someone without wading through giant piles of spam. Oh and the moderators have an above average bar for how well a post should be put together(it's not too bad...go to the anime section and look at some of my threads...not every first post is like a 4 paragraph essay most of em are a paragraph at most).

Oh and I had a moderator who I thought had a personal grudge against me but I am pretty sure she doesn't mod here anymore so that isn't a problem. But if they do actually do something that makes it seem like the have a vendetta against you talk to the guy in charge...he will sort things out(although I doubt any moderator has a grudge against you).

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Nerdsy'][color=deeppink]Machines can't write at all.

And writing a long post is [I]not[/I] hard. If you start and find that you have writer's block after a paragraph or two, save what you've written and come back to it later.[/color][/QUOTE]

I've told him that quite a few times now. When I am strong into the flow of an RP, I can rattle off a post that is two pages in MSWORD in under 30 minutes, and have it be top quality.

Mostly it is just practice, but roleplaying doesn't take a lot of time. More often than not I will be active in almost 10 RPs at once and still will be bored out of my head waiting for people to post back because they take so little time.

• 1 month later...
[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]If you can type out a single paragraph of high quality, that doesn't seem like it was all smooshed together in a hurry and is perfectly coherent, great.
It's just that most people can't do that. They have to elaborate, and if you're starting threads (This part confused me a little.) maybe you just shouldn't do that, if they get locked down every single time.

[/FONT][/COLOR][QUOTE]More often than not I will be active in almost 10 RPs at once and still will be bored out of my head waiting for people to post back because they take so little time.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]Oh yeah, I know that feeling very well. I think I was involved in 6 at once, a long time back, and I had to wait a WEEK for one. I was almost to the point of scratching my eyes out in boredom and annoyance. I haven't seen massive activity in a thread in quite a while.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[font=franklin gothic medium]The bottom line is that we do not require all posts on OB to be lengthy essays. Frankly, if that were the case, it'd annoy the hell out of me.

Sometimes you just want to jump on, participate here and there, do some reading...and that's it. And there's nothing wrong with that.

As long as posts are clearly worded and add something to the thread, there shouldn't be a problem.

RPGs are a tiny bit different because of what they are (i.e. you probably need some sort of back story and an auditions/sign-up form, etc etc). Still, it doesn't mean your RPG has to be an epic or anything.[/font]