OtakuBoards

Wedding Rings

0ber0n the Neko

[quote name='DeathKnight'][color=crimson]It gets worse when you start checking for a pulse.[/color][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]I could make a joke about rubber bands in the same vein, but I'll leave it to your capable imagination.

I notice wedding rings, but since I'm a girl, they tend to not stop me from caring about wedding rings on other girls. But I DO care about wedding rings on guys but most of them I know forget to wear them or washed them down the drain years ago.[/FONT][/COLOR]

I guess the question I'm wondering is what you are doing after realizing a girl is married. I mean it seems pretty natural to avoid asking someone out if they are wearing a wedding ring. I remember moving into the phase of noticing things like that once I started college. Especially since I was sure I would feel pretty stupid to ask a girl out on a date only for her to turn around and show me her ring and point out that she's married. XP

[quote name='taperson'][SIZE="1"][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Well, aren't [I]you[/I] old?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Not necessarily so. About 1/2 to 3/4 of my high school class got married or engaged within 3-4 years after graduating.

I do that too! I look for guy's wedding rings, well, for the obvious reason. But then when I notice the girls' wedding rings (which seems to be an uncomfortable amount of my friends), deep down, I get sort of jealous. I know that seems a bit childish, but it gets lonely sometimes....yeah.

wow that was awkward...:animeswea

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]I don't tend to look for girls wedding rings, because I'm much more of a "male friend who you could date, but you are just really good friends" kind of guy. I've made the mistake of asking a girl out when she was engaged before. That didn't turn out too well, but that's a long story.

I think hanging around married people is cool, but you gotta know when to step back and just be friends, espcecially when the Husband/Fiance is around, because you don't want friction in their relationship because of something that you said or did. [/FONT]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]When I'm not currently dating I tend to notice if someone has a wedding ring or not. Especially if it's someone who's cute since I prefer to not make a fool of myself by getting to friendly with someone who is already married. Plus around here, once you're out of high school it's like expected that you get married quickly so before long people noticed that you don't have one. As if it's a crime to not be married. :rolleyes:

Ironically I actually have a plain gold wedding band. Not because I've ever been married, but because depending on where I was working when I was a truck driver, it was easier to simply wear a band so others would assume you were taken and leave you alone. Otherwise... I'd get all sorts of offers all the time. XP I still did depending on what state I was in, but wearing that ring helped to keep it down to a minimum.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=#9933ff]Like Rachmaninoff, ever since I've started college, I do notice that sort of thing on guys (and girls, too). I don't run into guys that I like every day though, so it's not like I do it all the time.

I think the last time I noticed was when my friend wanted to know if the advisor of the pep band (our club) was gay, so I looked for a wedding band as an easy way to tell. We're still not sure, because he wore a ring on his *right* hand, not his left...

SunfallE - That's a great story. I'm surprised people still came up to you even after wearing the ring. o_o [/color]

• 4 weeks later...
Everyone keeps saying that they've noticed it since they've moved into college. My logic is, your always looking at girls or guys of your own age. When your in college and of that age group its the time when your moving from dating to marriage. its also the socially acceptable age from marriage. Makes perfect sence to me?

• 1 month later...
[FONT="Tahoma"][quote name='SunfallE'][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"] Plus around here, once you're out of high school it's like expected that you get married quickly so before long people noticed that you don't have one. As if it's a crime to not be married. [/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]Oh so true! It's like once you're there it's a a witch hunt to find those of us who aren't hitched yet. XD Though I imagine it's more pronounced for you in Happy Valley as it were. :p It's a little less obvious in SLC, well except when you're at church or social functions set up for young adults. >_> Then it's back to that, who are you dating, are you engaged yet... XP Nosy brats who call themselves adults!

As for myself, I only notice since I prefer to not get too close to a guy who's married. It just feels awkward when someone is really friendly when they've got that band on their finger. Not so bad if the spouse is around, but at a gathering of friends and alone? Yeah, that's something I tend to be careful about. I hate getting hit on by someone who's married because it's so not happening. [/FONT]

It's weird for me. I don't really check for rings, but I can kinda sense when someone isn't on the market, so to speak. Since I myself am not really on the market either this doesn't really matter, but still, even when I was in high school.

Now I'm finding that I can't find other female soldiers sexy. It's not that I don't find some of them attractive, it's just that it's hard to see them as women when they have the uniform on. It's kinda hard to explain.

Anyway, I find that people tend to have a different feel about them when they're single and when they're not. I've never taken up looking for a ring though. I've always kinda thought that at my age getting married was just a little impulsive, but from the way my family has been pushing me and my GF to get married I'm starting to understand the situation a bit more. As it stands, I don't want to get married right now, and I still think that it's one of those things you should put off til your old enough to make rational decisions and, lets face it, 20 is not that age.

I can't really say I've looked for rings on a regular basis. I've checked out a few girls, and then looked for the ring before flirting and things like that, but a ring-check is something I actually have to think about. Of course, as horrible as it may be, having a ring doesn't keep my from flirting. It just sets the line of what I will or won't say/do. Thankfully, my fiance doesn't mind me being flirtatious (which is good, because I do it just as often unintentionally as I do it intentionally), so I've never had a problem.

I tend to notice wedding rings on guys pretty quickly though, probably because guys don't often wear much in the way of jewelry. Then I see how threatening the guy looks. My theory is, if the guy's got a ring and looks like he can kick your butt, find out who the wife is so you can avoid the butt-kicking. If they can't kick your butt, you'll have time to defuse the situation anyway.

And yes, I'm well aware that my behavior in such manners probably makes me an ***.

Hey I'm not the only one that flirts unintentionally yay, but the ring thing I notice but then again I don't I mean hey I'm 18 I'm very flirty and crazy right now and will probably stay this way for years to come but to add another thing I say if the first thing a person sees on a male or female is that ring finger and whether or not there's a ring on it or not then your probably thinking about the possibilty of marrage in your future at a hightened level right now or if that person is...."open-for-business" eh.

[COLOR="#004a6f"]I feel like an idiot, because I still don't always understand certain customs.

Is there a difference between a wedding ring and and an engagement ring? When a man proposes to a woman and gives her an engagement ring, is that the ring the woman continues to wear after they get married, or is a different ring used in the wedding ceremony? If the wedding band is a different ring, what happens to the engagement ring? [/COLOR]

• 4 months later...
[quote name='Chabichou'][COLOR="#004a6f"]I feel like an idiot, because I still don't always understand certain customs.

Is there a difference between a wedding ring and and an engagement ring? When a man proposes to a woman and gives her an engagement ring, is that the ring the woman continues to wear after they get married, or is a different ring used in the wedding ceremony? If the wedding band is a different ring, what happens to the engagement ring? [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Usually the two are soldered together to form a cohesive whole. My mother's is her engagement ring with a second band and a spiral of three leaf like diamonds encircling the main stone. So it partially depends on if the engagement ring has sentimental value [was grandmother's] or if it was bought with the intention of becoming part of the wedding band.[/FONT][/COLOR]