OtakuBoards

Are there any author's here?

Lunar

[FONT="Century Gothic"]I'm an artist/author [sorta]. I'm a great artist when it comes to drawing and I'm slowly learning how to paint very well. As an author, I'm writing two stories at the moment but they haven't finished yet. I plan on using them and turning them into manga. I guess you could say that I'm more of the artistic type and my sister's the literature type. [She has [B]no talent[/B] in drawing whatsoever].

I usually prefer to write of my own accord and not for school. I hate it when they tell you what to write. It makes me angry. I have a creative mind but I don't think it reaches writing but just to fashion and art.:animeswea[/FONT]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Uyen
I'm an author!!! So far, i've finished three books and am working on two and MANY fanfictions:animestun I'm also an artist, i really like illustrating my own creations=D
My imagination is through the roof!! Usually im off in another world of mine when i'm supposed to be doing something else...like walking:animesigh

[FONT="Tahoma"][QUOTE=Darren]Please don't do that... It confuses me too much.

Anyway, to answer the question at hand: Yes, I would consider myself and artist/author... And like Rach, who is also Darren (confusing), I will have to say that I think just about anyone can called an artist... I'm not so good at computer graphics, but I love to draw.[/QUOTE]What? Stop poking Darren? Never! Hehe! :catgirl:

Besides, it's equally as confusing to see someone using his name here, name stealer! (I'm kidding by the way) Though in my mind it's easy to keep the two of you seperate since I know how he's the one who loves classical music. So any other Darren is an imposter! :p I suppose I could use his nick name of Rach, but in my mind, he'll always be Sir Darren.

Anyway... out of curosity, what drives many of you to even want to write? Not that I'm complaining since I love to read, I just never feel the urge to make my own story, well one where it's all my idea. [/FONT]

Ummm, I write to get my ideas out on paper.

It's really that simple, actually. I guess I could try to elaborate. I'm really forgetful as it is, and when I live my whole life reading about vampires and werewolves, immersing myself in comic books, and watching hours of anime re-runs, it inspires me... For example: I have an obsession with mythology. (So much so that when I was on the quiz bowl team, and one of our lightning round topics was greek myths, I was the only one who answered. The other team couldn't even touch me...)

So, since I'm already a decent writer, and really creative, I came up with this amazing idea to incorporate mythology into a modern-day story. Thus, my current project, Immortal by Midnight, was born.

I also have a team of college mutants in a fraternity/sorority (based on X-Men, duh) of about 20... Each of them have a developed personality and back-story. I don't know where I could go with that story since X-Men is copyrighted, but that would be awesome if it got picked up my Marvel. :animesigh

And then, I have a moderate obsession with dark things, and I like trying out new ideas. Therefor, I've played around with some short stories involving zombies and werewolves. Only recently have I found an idea I like which involves vampires. And the concept behind that is so complicated, but totally amazing, that I had to write it down, even if I won't give it any attention for a while.

Basically, if these things hadn't been written down the very moment they came into my head, they wouldn't exist... And since I love writing, why not try to be a successful author? And if it works out, then I'll be doing something I love.

I remember one time, I was in a dark theatre, using my cell phone light to jot down lines from a poem that popped into my head...

Oh, and btw, Sabrina: I was on OB first!

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="1"]Well I write... duh. But I'm both very good and very bad at the same time. I can think of a story in a matter of minutes, and go from there. But my good ideas are sullied by my bad writting skills. Not that I'm bad but more like I make careless mistakes, just ask Allamorph >_>

Right now I'm in the midst of elaborating on [B][U]Midnight Falls on Amethestice (check ma sig)[/U][/B], my new violant demon story. I'm adding romance and vampires to the story. Generic a bit, but I'm going to add a twist somewhere. I might even throw in a few character crossovers for a bit of a gag to get people going.

I'm also going to start an RPG soon, and hopefully if his interest hasn't dropped, Whoa Mann is going to be my partner in crime. It's a mix of war, adventure, and guitars. The story is still strong too. I have an obsession with mythology too, but not in the way Darren is. I have the necesity to always have some Mythology in almost every one of my stories. I blame KH.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Well I can't draw to save my life, but I do enjoy writing. I don't do it as often as I would like since I end up reading instead. I [I]love[/I] to read. But I'm always getting ideas for stories, I just never do anything with them. I don't really consider myself an author though, I don't really write often enough and thinking someone is an author... that's something I tend to reserve for someone who is actually published in some way.

If someone says they are an author and yet has nothing I can go physically check out at say the library or book store? Then I think of it as a hobby instead of them actually being an author. Because in the end, when I ask about an author, I'm asking about something I can actually go and pick up to read. Nothing wrong with doing it as a hobby though. :p[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Aaryanna][COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]If someone says they are an author and yet has nothing I can go physically check out at say the library or book store? Then I think of it as a hobby instead of them actually being an author.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Those are called "published authors", my dear girl. (^_^) Also, grammatically you didn't want a question mark there, even though that's how your voice rose with the line. You want a comma. =P

I've been writing to some extent or another since I was about seven or eight. When I was twelve/thirteen-ish I threw together this silly little thingummy about being a teenage cyborg for some creative writing assignment, based off of my various LEGO scenarios and such. Then somehow I got it into my head to try and make the thing work.

Now I've had the concept for eight or nine years, and almost all of the Mary-Sue tripe has been removed (though I didn't hear of that term until last year; I just knew it was foolish). The beast now spans three timelines, forced me to create my own species, and has stuck enough material in my head to cover God knows how many books.

If I can work on it steady for the rest of college, I may begin trying to lay it out for possible publication after I graduate. I'd really like that.

I'm also a musical artist (trained in classical, jazz, rock, whatev) and I've been told I play chess with life.

So yeah. o_O[/FONT]

[FONT="Tahoma"][quote name='Darren]Oh, and btw, Sabrina: I was on OB first![/QUOTE]So? He was born first... your move! :D [spoiler]I'm just poking you for fun, you realize that right? ^_~[/spoiler][QUOTE=Allamorph][FONT=Arial]I'm also a musical artist (trained in classical, jazz, rock, whatev) and[B] I've been told I play chess with life.[/B'][/FONT][/quote]Say what? o_O How does one play chess with... O_o

Oh and like Aaryanna, when I hear the word author, my first thought is to think of someone who is published. Mainly because when someone says have you heard of this author, they are usually referring to someone whose works they have read. [/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="1"]Sir Allamorph is a [strike]sexy beast that deserves many kisses[/strike] very honorable man with a very great writting talent. And, he has given me a few details of this story-line, and I'm not going to tattle, but it looks like a good story is brewin' in Ally's head. [/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]I'm a writer. And an author by both accounts, that being I had a silly little poem and a short story published with a group of other people in a silly little anthology.

I want to make a career out of writing, so I wouldn't say it's a hobby... plus, it's really the only thing I'm good at. It's a release and it's like watching a movie, only you're the creator designing every aspect with little bits of irony and seldom correct grammar. I already have my GCSE (A* for that matter whoop whooop whoop) in English Literature and Language, and I plan to take a masters or whatever the hell it's called in University. I haven't a clue what job I'll get.

I think for most people here it's more than a hobby. For the best part of half my life it's been a black dog... like a really mean friend you can't stand to lose.

Yep.[/SIZE]

[color=royalblue][size=1]

Well I suppose I didn't really go into detail in my first response.

I've been writing since I was about 12 or so, and most of my pieces have to do with some form of action/adventure. I like to write things that I'd like to read myself, and usually that involves a bit of violence and very colorful characters. I write as a hobby, but I'd like to be published someday. I just have to finish something for once, heh. I've done a handful of semi-successful RPs on OBs, but really my best work in my opinion is "The Hit" series, which is an OB fic about assassins and bounty hunters, and over-the-top crime action. Its fun to write, though I don't think it'll be hitting any publishing houses in its current state. If I re-worked it and actually put in something other than "blah-blah-FIGHT SCENE-blah-blah" it might work.

I also draw, though I haven't done a piece in several months. I stick to comic-book and anime style with some graffiti thrown in there. I tag small things once in a while and I plan on doing a larger set some day soon.

I'm a musical artist, self trained. I compose hip hop beats and rap, pretty decently in my opinion. I'm also teaching myself how to do Death Metal/Hardcore vocals, due to my recent interest in starting a deathcore band. I'm pretty decent at writing lyrics from my Hip Hop areas, so song writing has never really been a problem. I can't actually sing very well beyond musical-grade background vocals (which I had a chance to perform last week during my school's production of 'Jekyll & Hyde'). So yeah.

I'm also a dancer, self trained in Hip Hop and semi-trained in Latin Dance (salsa, paso doble, tango, etc) and what not. I'm pretty good at that also, I'm told.

And I've been a martial artist since I was 13, starting with Tae Kwon Do, which I now hold a black belt in, and also cross training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai, and folk-style wrestling. Fun stuff.

So yeah. I'm more than less an artist in every aspect of my life. But I think I've been drawing and writing longer than anything. I'm interested in doing comic books someday, writing predominately and maybe doing rough character designs (since I'm no where near a good enough drawer to do all the art).[/color][/size]

Unused talent. That's all I am. I know that if I could dedicate myself to writing or drawing, I'd quickly become good at it, but as of now both skills are mediocre at best. I can write out my opinion or role-play like no tomorrow; I'm fully stocked on book ideas, drawing stetches, and art material. I just don't do anything with it, or what I do start I never finish. My biggest curse. I also have a fair-sized vocabulary and better grammar skills than most of the people I meet, I type with only my index fingers and still get around 68 words a minute, and I never can get motivated enough. Oh well, I'm destined to remain in a horrid realm of creative frustration until I explode and take out a city bus with nothing more than a paper clip and a scanner gun.

[FONT="Tahoma"][QUOTE=Aceburner]Well, we are all his pawns, except Indi, who is his overt sadist Queen.

Sir Allamorph is a psychotic mastermind. Tainting the world with the evils of culture and good taste is his calling.[/QUOTE]O_O I'm almost sorry I mentioned it. I mean... O_O You're making me think I need a lock on my door with [COLOR="Indigo"][FONT="Arial"]Indi[/FONT][/COLOR] as a roommate!

Anyway, all of this makes me wonder if I should give writing more of a chance. I'll just have to figure out what to write about. XP[/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="1"]Sabrina, here'a hint to help you... THINK THINK THINK. Just use your noggin and think long and hard and I'm sure you'll come up with something. Or if you really want, make a quick fanfiction, join an RPG, it helps, or, even start one if you can. And you of all people should have no problem executing that, from what I think of you.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Decay']I'm fully stocked on book ideas, drawing stetches, and art material. I just don't do anything with it, or what I do start I never finish. My biggest curse. I also have a fair-sized vocabulary and better grammar skills than most of the people I meet, I type with only my index fingers and still get around 68 words a minute, and I never can get motivated enough. Oh well, I'm destined to remain in a horrid realm of creative frustration until I explode and take out a city bus with nothing more than a paper clip and a scanner gun.[/QUOTE]

Whoa! I have the exact same curse...:animeswea But at least I'm positive! YAY, POSITIVE!!!:animesmil

[quote name='Decay']Unused talent. That's all I am.[/quote]
[quote name='chibi-master']Whoa! I have the exact same curse...:animeswea But at least I'm positive! YAY, POSITIVE!!!:animesmil[/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Lemme kill [I]that[/I] notion right now.

I mean, the [I]curse[/I]. Not the positive thingy. That's fine. =P

Unfinished sketches and lack of dedication are just signs of youth and inexperience. I most certainly haven't written every day since I started back in first grade, and there have been periods where I've written nothing at all. Most of my sketches are unfinished practice things written because I saw something and wanted to get as much of it down as I could.

I [I]do[/I] have a twenty-one page scene (which hasn't quite achieved the chapter-break point yet) stored away in my Notebook, but it was mostly written during Calculus class and whenever there was little work to do in the office. I haven't touched it in two years, even though it does have one of my favorite action sequences and a fairly bizarre science-fiction concept. Fairly.

So don't think that just 'cause you can't finish stuff it means you'll never be a writer. I guarantee you that if Christopher Paolini had waited two or three years to publish and spent that time getting rid of fluff and making stuff solid, I wouldn't hate Eragon quite so much as I do. =P[/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]Lemme kill [I]that[/I] notion right now.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Aww, you meanie.:animecry: You killded it!

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]So don't think that just 'cause you can't finish stuff it means you'll never be a writer. I guarantee you that if Christopher Paolini had waited two or three years to publish and spent that time getting rid of fluff and making stuff solid, I wouldn't hate Eragon quite so much as I do. =P[/FONT][/QUOTE]

You're positive too! YAY, POSI-*shot*:o

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]Published author? No. Good with English and grammar? No. Do I write stories on a regular basis? Yes. So by that line of reasoning I consider being an author something that I do as a hobby. Much in the same way I can sing since I've had some training and yet nothing like what Darren can do with the Cello since he [I]is[/I] a professional musician.

I've often thought I should return to school or at the very least learn more about how to write. For the simple reason that I'm always getting ideas for stories, I've been doing that since I was little, including writing. Though some of those early stories will never see the light of day. XP If anything, it would be be fun to finally learn how to get some of those ideas onto paper in a more tangible format than simple notes. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Sabrina'][FONT="Tahoma"]Anyway, all of this makes me wonder if I should give writing more of a chance. I'll just have to figure out what to write about. XP[/FONT][/QUOTE]
[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]I find doing the opposite of what Aberinkula said helps a lot, hah (although having a basic idea of what you want to write [i]does[/i] help). As opposed to thinking and thinking about things to write, just start writing.

As you write you come up with more and more ideas and eventually you may have something completely different from what you expected. Since whatever you're writing is going to be a Rough Copy, there's always room for change and improvement.

So yeah, my advice is just to start writing and see where it takes you. ^_^

[quote name='Allamorph']So don't think that just 'cause you can't finish stuff it means you'll never be a writer. I guarantee you that if Christopher Paolini had waited two or three years to publish and spent that time getting rid of fluff and making stuff solid, I wouldn't hate Eragon quite so much as I do. =P[/quote]
I liked Eragon! It was no Wheel of Time but I liked it. Of course, I've also never seen Star Wars Episodes IV, V and VI. :whoops:[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='8bit][FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]I liked Eragon! It was no Wheel of Time but I liked it. Of course, I've also never seen Star Wars Episodes IV, V and VI. :whoops:[/COLOR'][/FONT][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]For shame. For absolute shame.

The world of [I][U]Eragon[/U][/I] itself didn't bother me. I thought it was a rather good concept, regardless of how many people claim Paolini borrowed and stole from other series. (Honestly, who doesn't?) My bone is that Paolini [I]himself[/I] is immature. His story flow is highly erratic and left me in a constant state of "what-is-going-on??", his imagery is extremely clichéd?I was told he has the exact same scene in all three books?and the maximum length of his chapters is eight pages. It's like he wrote little scenes and called them chapters, and then decided to merge one or two chapters together and call them scenes. o_O

So like I said, if he'd just waited a few more years to publish it, I have no doubt it'd be at least 50% better.

Also, the movie destroyed every concept Paolini had. Ye gods, I was never so offended in my life.

Well, that's not true. But I was really offended. :p[/FONT]

[COLOR="Red"]Oooh!!! I know! I know!!! [/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkRed"]OK. along with being an artist, i'm also a writer/video game master/ piano player.
This brings me to my next question: Does any one have talent in something OTHER than just drawing and writing?[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Black"]NOTE[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]I just realized something that made me feel so stupid:animedepr. if you are an artist, doesn't it make sense to start your own comic? and how can you write a good comic if you're not a good artist/author? I know, don't make fun of me, I just figured that out.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]p.s. aceburner, i like your avatar now. it's um, well different. tell me, why did you pick that one out of all the others to choose from?:confused: No offense at all.[/COLOR]

p.p.s allamorph, if you're not a teen and boring, what are you????

[quote name='8bit'][FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]I liked Eragon! It was no Wheel of Time but I liked it. Of course, I've also never seen Star Wars Episodes IV, V and VI. :whoops:[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n72/Aceburner85/apollo-ohnoes.gif[/IMG]

You need to rectify this mistake immediately! That's like living in New York without having ever seen Ghostbusters!

[quote name='Allamorph]The world of [I][U]Eragon[/U][/I] itself didn't bother me. I thought it was a rather good concept, regardless of how many people claim Paolini borrowed and stole from other series. (Honestly, who doesn't?) My bone is that Paolini [I]himself[/I'] is immature. His story flow is highly erratic and left me in a constant state of "what-is-going-on??", his imagery is extremely clichéd—I was told he has the exact same scene in all three books—and the maximum length of his chapters is eight pages. It's like he wrote little scenes and called them chapters, and then decided to merge one or two chapters together and call them scenes. o_O[/quote]

Has he released the third book yet? I hadn't thought he did, but I may be wrong. Anyway, I thought it was decent when I first read it. I think that was back in 7th grade, though. I'll bet if I read it again, I'll see what you mean.

Eh, I'll probably go ahead and track down that third book just for completion's sake. I can't stand it when I never get to know the ending. Unless I'm watching Surviving Christmas. I wish I had the sense to walk out of the theater after the only funny part of the movie.

[quote name='CrimsonKnight'][COLOR="Blue"]p.s. aceburner, i like your avatar now. it's um, well different. tell me, why did you pick that one out of all the others to choose from?:confused: No offense at all.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Oh, you mean Vera here?

[IMG]http://otakuboards.com/customavatars/avatar27290_7.gif[/IMG]

Well, She's also an Ace Attorney character. I found that particular picture in a webcomic made by someone on Livejournal. Besides the fact that I like the character, the "LOL" gag was just too great to pass up.

[quote name='CrimsonKnight']p.p.s allamorph, if you're not a teen and boring, what are you????[/quote]
[FONT=Arial]If you're not a teen and boring, apparently your username is [COLOR="DarkRed"]Shy[/COLOR].

[/spam][/FONT]