OtakuBoards

Ramen: Staple or obsession?

Akieen Cloud

[COLOR="Navy"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Okay, I have been a fan of Top Ramen all my life simply because it is a quick fix meal and hits the spot regularly and tastes great no matter what you get(besides shrimp, which really has no flavor) But I look at my best friend and she eats it constantly, every day for lunch and every night for dinner. Now I like it but I like it more as a staple food for a quick eat. I'm not obsessed with it. I was wondering if some of you are stapleists like me, or obsessed like my friend, and if so which is the flavor you eat the most, and which is the one you avoid the most? I eat the creamy chicken and spicy chicken flavors the most, they just seem to have the most flavor, where as I stay as far away from the oriental and the shrimp flavor for the simple fact that the shrimp has almost no taste to me what so ever and the oriental just taste like water with very little soy sauce to me.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[SIZE="2"][FONT="Arial"]I'm not picky with ramen. If someone hands me a bowl of shrimp flavored ramen, I'll eat it.

And no, I'm not obsessed with it, per say. I might have it once or twice a week.[/FONT][/SIZE]

I enjoy ramen. I'm not obsessed, but it's pretty darn tasty.

My favorite flavor is actually Shrimp. I tend to prepare my ramen by boiling the noodles, then draining the water. After that, I just directly season the noodles. It's like injectig sodium directly into your veins, though, so I tend to not eat ramen very often and when I do, I keep a nice, tall glass of milk handy. Or soda. That's good too.

[size=1]Ramen... oh Ramen...

I am obsessed with it. My first semester at college I was attending St. Bonaventure and literally I wouldn't go to the dining hall at all. Well maybe rarely I would, but most of the time I was up in the floor lounge making a nice bowl of some [b]Cheddar Cheese[/b] Ramen, which is my favorite flavor. However like KimmehWolfwood said, I am not picky either. Give me a bowl, and 3 minutes later it will be gone.

Most days I will squeeze in a bowl for a snack or if I'm just getting lazy and not wanting to make dinner then into the microwave it goes, but I try to eat more healthy foods every once in a while. The only time I normally don't get my daily "dosage," of Ramen is when the pantry at my house is out of it. And that is always a bummer. So yeah, I am obsessed with it. I'll eat it whenever I have the opportunity.[/size]

I am formerly obsessed.

When I was in high school I ate it two to three times a day. Yes, I was eating ramen for breakfast. But I've long since gotten over that and now only endulge on the occasions that call for a quick meal.

I like the beef myself, but I like to add my own flavors as well. I've been known to add soy sauce, steak sauce, hot sauce, mushrooms, eggs over easy, whole shrimp, chicken strips, lemon juice, and so many other things I can't even begin to remember them all.

What can I say, it's good.

[FONT=Arial]ramen never really did it for me, but I kept it around because it was so cheap and it was one of the only things I could afford during my first year of college. I'd eat pretty much any flavor, but there was a preference in brand, I think; one brand just tasted a little nastier than the others. occasionally I can eat it about once a month nowadays, but there isn't much overall nutritional value to it, so it's kept at a minimum.[/FONT]

[color=#4B0082]I eat it every now and then, more as a quick snack than an actual meal. Just one of those packets isn't very filling, after all. There've been periods where I've eaten more of it and others where I've gone months without eating any, so it varies.

I prefer the Maruchan brand chicken flavor, though the beef is pretty good too. (Top Ramen's noodles are kinda bleh and the flavoring seems the same.) I also boil the noodles and then drain the water completely, like Aceburner does, but in my case I put the flavor packet in at the same time as the noodles to let them simmer in it. I like it a lot better that way but I have to be careful not to use too much water or else the flavor gets too diluted?this is especially tricky when cooking two packets at once.[/color]

[color=deeppink]A month of living on my own in college made me absolutely hate ramen. I went a few months after that without it and reaquired my taste. after that, I made sure to have alternatives.

Protip: Roasted Chicken Maruchan + tuna = heaven.[/color]

[quote name='Lunox'][font=trebuchet ms] To come off as a self-righteous Asian *****, I hate it when people enjoy eating cheap ramen brands with flavors like shrimp or "cheddar cheese" (WTF?!).[/font][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]I'm not Asian, but those both sound asbolutely disgusting. Well, not the cheese... but that just sounds like Mac and Cheese.

I don't understand how anyone could eat powdered shrimp.[/color]

I have yet to try a flavor of ramen that I do not like. But I've only had...well, I don't remember the amount I've tried. Anyway, I like beef, chicken and shrimp. Everything else is meh. Although, I've never tried cheese flavored, and I don't think I will any time soon. I absolutely [I]adore[/I] instant ramen, and since I'm such a terrible cook, I have a feeling that I'll be living of of instant ramen all through college.:animesmil

[COLOR="Indigo"]Ramen was a good incentive for me to learn how to cook, even if only a little. Its saving grace is that it's cheap, and as others pointed out, college students tend to go for what's cheap, not what actually tastes good. So when I'm on the broke side, I like ramen, the rest of the time... No. [/COLOR]

[FONT="Garamond"]It's a cheap & tasty food source. It will most definitely become a staple for me next year when I'm on my own, lol. Probably that and any other quickly prepared carbohydrate.

Shrimp is my favourite, actually. But the only brand that I can say I've tried a lot of the flavours from is Ichiban.[/FONT]

[color=royalblue][size=1]

Beef Flavored Ramen is my life blood. It has served for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And I mean that also. It's definetly one of my favorite breakfast foods. Great stuff.

I see myself eating much of it in the coming years of college. Good times.[/color][/size]

Shrimp is my favorite flavor actually.. >>; It's the chicken that doesn't have much flavor in my opinion... xD; Weird how that works out.

Either way, a few years ago I used to eat raman quite often.. maybe not everday though. Never done that. I think I got burnt out on it though, because these days I hardly ever eat it. Every few months it'll sound good to me, then I'll eat a cup of the Shrimp ramen, and not want it for another few months.

[FONT="Tahoma"]I only eat ramen when I don't have time to cook. Which isn't often. I love to cook so I tend to arrange my schedule so I will have time. So though it is tasty... I haven't even had any this year. >_> And when I do cook it, I end up making mixed veggies and other things to toss in. It's kind of boring by itself. [/FONT]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]In answer to the title: neither. Though I do get it from time to time since it's cheap, the truth is that I just don't really care for ramen. At least not the instant kind. When I do get it, I end up adding vegetables or shrimp or something to spice it up since it's kind of meh without the extra help.

Plus, when I was in college and at times lived on stuff like that because it was so cheap... I got utterly burned out on it. I think I've had ramen all of three times this year since I don't eat it very often. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Arial"]A thread about noodles. XD Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Well, I eat the kind with the little face next to the name Maruchan. I like Chicken and Beef the most. Mushroom , Oriental, and Shrimp not so much. Of those Shrimp I like the most. I prepare my noodles by cooking them in boiling water first, draining some of the water, adding seasoning and mixing, then draining the rest of the water. I plop them on a plate and eat with a fork.

I started eating noodles when my mom bought some for the first time when I was a kid. I've basically been eating noodles (ramen) long before I really new what the stuff was. My mom cooked it, put it in a bowl, and I ate it.

However, now that I am older and know more about eating healthy and all of that I would say that I am more inclined to seek foods that are simply better for my body. As others have said noodles really don't have any nutritional value and I would add no nutritional value you can't get from real food. People say they are cheap and so on. My mom says that too which is why she buys them all the time.

I'm trying to wean myself off of them because I don't really consider them to be food. I would like to stop eating it altogether, but that's kinda hard when you've gotten so accustomed to eating it. I know it's sad. : ) The main reason why I haven't been able to stop eating them is that it's bought so often at my house because it's "cheap" so it's what's always around when other stuff is running low.

With that I'd say that I actually like noodles, but not enough to keep eating them when I have other choices. Since I've been in college I haven't been eating them too much (only when I go home) since I rely mostly on my unversity's cafeteria. With the grace of God I will be getting my own appartment to finish school this summer.

I can cook, however when you aren't the one buying the groceries for the household, you have to eat/use what's available so I haven't really been able get some good cooking experience in; what with my mom complaining to me about using her ground turkey, pasta, tomatoes, cheese to cook something I want to cook when she planned on using them for something else. While I'm not exactly a chef or anything, I certainly will be far from being at the mercy of a pack of noodles to nourish myself. I'm determined to show my mom and others that you can eat inexpensively and still eat real food that is at least better for your body if not down right healthy![/FONT]

[FONT="Arial"][quote name='Adam']I'm as guilty as anyone for quick-replacing meals, but for some reason I never got into Ramen...

For my quick-meal fix I'll just eat lots and lots of cereal...[/QUOTE]

Now that's what I'm talkin' about. I couldn't agree more with that statement. In fact, the milk and cereal come and go so fast at my house it's hard to keep it around.

Noodles are the only thing that we keep too much of, unfortunately.[/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]I had ramen before knowing it's relation to anime as well. It's okay as a snack, I don't really care for it as a meal unless it's more fancy with chicken or vegetables mixed in.

I imagine the reason my mom gets it for us is because it's a really cheap and easy snack to fix. It certainly never gets used as a meal. I like homemade chicken noodle soup much better.[/FONT][/COLOR]