OtakuBoards

Dragonball Movie, due 2009

Boo

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Clearly the only thing left for you to do now is to obviously join me in a monastery or a nunary and practice the ancient arts of fighting and meditation and self introspection.

.....it's the only way this nonsense will stop bothering us. And after we'll be strong enough to track down the imbeciles who were responsible for all of these various travesties and beat them all to near death, get a confession and a promise to never do it again, and then go out and enjoy life.[/FONT][/COLOR]

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[FONT="Papyrus"]I'm sorry, but if you take the trailer from the perspective of someone who's never even heard of DB before, this is rather impressive. The trailer is set up like any other [admittedly empty and plotless] big-earning "blockbuster."

If I switched off my DB memories, the inner teen in me is thinking "man, that movie looks so [i]awesome![/i] Flash cars, guns and things exploding and creepy bad guys!"

Sorry folks, but if the marketing campaign keeps up as well as this trailer shows [and they stop pointing out who the characters are], then this may be a modest earner. It won't be anything major because the internet is trying to kill it, but I think we have a "winner."

If you doubt me, the first thing that popped into my head while watching it was "Agent Cody Banks." Similar market. Hell, I'd even watch this hack movie...on DVD...simply because it's something mindless and inoffensive [unless you're a hardcore fan].

Face it, it's DB for crying out loud.

Any change is an improvement.

[/FONT]

That is my exact problem with this movie. Dragoball is over the top and ridiculous in such a classic anime way, but this film (from the small amount I've seen and read about) has missed that mark. The american audience has become so stupid that anything with explosions and a little cleavage does well at the box office. Your point of view, my friend, is the problem with american cinema.

No no no no no!
That's all wrong.
The guy that's playing Goku doesn't look half as buff as he should, and who the blue furry pardon my french fck is Mai?
What happened to Chi Chi? I loved her, she was my favourtie character, and one more thing Picallo isn't even green *cries*
I hope that movie burns in hell where it belongs.

[quote name='Katakidoushi'] Your point of view, my friend, is the problem with american cinema.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Papyrus"]Shame I live in Australia.

I probably should have been a bit more clear. I'm not saying that this will be a good movie. I'm saying it will be mediocre and will appeal to the common person. Bread and Circuses [SPOILER]to use a quote almost out of context[/SPOILER]. I think it's sad that they've changed things so much to appeal to a broader spectrum of people, especially considering how phenomenally successful the original DB+DBZ was with so many generations.

The movie will work for the people funding it. It may be entertaining, it may be bland in comparison to the original anime, it may be bog standard action with all the boxes ticked...but is it really something to go foaming at the mouth over?

The fan response I've seen for this teaser trailer on other sites is really quite embarrassing. I don't understand why people are so over the top about it that they feel they need to curse producers and Hollywood back to the dawn of time. IF you don't like the direction of something, fair enough. Stick to the original, you still have your imagination.

Many things are being made to movies now, so roughly 1/3 of the cinema audience is going to be upset or offended over how their favourite tale is going to be handled. That's how imagination works, that's why books and comics work and appeal so well. We're allowed a little artistic license. Movies take away that artistic license and put it into someone else's hands, so things will be different.

Just because a producer or art team have taken this different [sometimes completely different] take on something doesn't mean that they've slapped you in the face and destroyed hollywood forever.

People need to lighten up. It's not your money they're spending, nor are you gambling a sizeable chunk of equity on a producer's ability to draw in a good return. Yes, I don't like it when people take shortcuts [Explosions and sex appeal over solid Plot], but it doesn't mean it's going to hurt me, I can always choose not to watch it.

Like it or lump it, this is what DB will look like. There's nothing that you can change about it. Movie is done and in post production. Done. Finished. Before the angry mob lashes me to a pyre and applies the flaming torches, chillax. Just reading youTube comments on the trailer from "fans" whinging about how it looks is enough to make the most rabid among us cringe in shame. By all means express your voice and opinion, but so that it seems that you sleep with a Goku Doona and debate the religious symbolism of the Dragon Balls and Goku's Afterlife and Reincarnation...

I can guarantee that, six months after the movie is released and on DVD, you won't even care anymore.

Chillax and pick up a good book. Life goes on.
[/FONT]

Well I agree with the first part of your argument. I think this will have a mediocre turnout at the box office because of the reasons we both have listed. But I'm hardly loosing sleep over this. I'm not one of those 'crazed Youtubers', but I do have an opinion on this, which apparently you do too. As someone preparing for film school and a current screenwriter I'm more than familiar with the aspects of film and the film process, so that combined with this being one of my favorite shows growing up, its just a shame seeing it taken in this typical direction

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"][quote name='OP']http://screenrant.com/new-dragonball-trailer-rob-3864/[/quote]This looks absolutely horrible, even for a regular movie. >_>

[img]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26728&stc=1&d=1224518691[/img][/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Lrb'][FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]This looks absolutely horrible, even for a regular movie. >_>

[img]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26728&stc=1&d=1224518691[/img][/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]
I completly agree with you and the worst thing about it is that it's a big budget movie and that means the annoying action movie fans (you all know the type) will be going to see this movie simply because things blow up (I'm assuming) and there's fighting *le sigh* I only hope it doesn't happen where I live

[quote name='Katakidoushi']Apparently the director has signed a three picture deal that will extend the films deep into Dragonball Z.[/QUOTE]

[b]'B-But Kami! Surely no one can replace Mr. Popo!'[/b]

But yeah, I agree with Mr. Popo. They shouldn't try to cover Dragonball Z. There are too many characters in there, so they'll probably be changing and removing a lot of them.

[font=trebuchet ms] The thing is it doesn't even look good for what it's supposed to be: a blockbuster film. [i]Transformers[/i]' trailer was good. This trailer...sucked. lol

I'm not pissy about Hollywood messing it up, though. Right now I'm too worried about Zack Snyder ****ing up [i]Watchmen[/i].[/font]

• 2 weeks later...
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Great Ape Goku photo leak:

[CENTER][IMG]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk99/zkaiser/1225966303838.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

...Y'all remember that movie, [B]The Producers[/B]? The one where the two guys gather a crapload of money, then make a horrible play in order to cheat the IRS?

Remember how this movie is supposed to have a 100 million (+) dollar budget?

...You see where I'm going with this.[/FONT]

[quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Great Ape Goku photo leak:

[CENTER][IMG]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk99/zkaiser/1225966303838.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

...Y'all remember that movie, [B]The Producers[/B]? The one where the two guys gather a crapload of money, then make a horrible play in order to cheat the IRS?

Remember how this movie is supposed to have a 100 million (+) dollar budget?

...You see where I'm going with this.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]*Facepalm*

*Headdesk*

*Headdesk*

*Headdesk*

*Bloodloss*

...I really just don't have the words. How do you screw up what is essentially one of the simplest elements of the whole damn story ? Goku turns into a giant monkey, not some kind of horrid Saiyan/Namek offspring to amuse Nappa (yes that was a DBZ Abridged ref)...and he needs a tail and the moon to even do that. Oh screw it I'm really just going to stop complaining about this now it's just going to get worse and worse so there's really no point.[/SIZE]

That got to be the most messed up looking ape thing I have ever seen in my life. I'm complete amazement they are trying to pass that off as an ape. I was still had a small bit of hope they would get one tiny thing right and they blow it. I don't even know what to call it. I agree with Boo, mutant fish head and its got an identity crisis thinking its an ape.:animedepr

[COLOR=Blue]I don't believe that screenshot can be real because surely nobody would take a series this big and butcher it so badly.

Oh, wait...

[IMG]http://www.otakuboards.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26749&stc=1&d=1226072963[/IMG]

I've had my issues with the movie all along but this... I'm speechless.
[/COLOR]

[quote name='Boo][size=1']Wait, but where is the monkey? I cannot find it on the picture because some weird mutated alien with a fishhead is blocking my sight. :([/size][/quote]My first thought was that it was a fish based creature so to read that it's supposed to be an ape/monkey... wtf? That doesn't even come close at all. o_O

[quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Great Ape Goku photo leak:

[CENTER][IMG]http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk99/zkaiser/1225966303838.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"][b]O_O[/b]

Oh my god! I'm sorry Akira Toriyama that Hollywood has completely hacked, and butchered the loveable Goku action!

Seriously though, what the crap?! You've got to be kidding me. When I thought it couldn't get any worse..then I see this.[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]I wanted to laugh when I saw that image... But instead, I found myself following Gavin's lead. Sadly, even the phrase "Epic Fail" would be too lenient, and hell, would be giving too much credit to what they've done here.

And you know what that is?

Yes, you guessed it, ruined the lives of fans and those unfortunate enough to watch the movie, and forever mar the memory of Dragonball.

But hey, maybe I'm wrong! Maybe modern viewers unfamiliar with the Dragonball franchise [those few people who have never heard the word dragon or ball, let alone used in the same sentence] will enjoy this hybrid Dragonball-Star Trek-cheesy action movie. Maybe they'll dig Vampire King Piccolo and Great Alien Fish Goku. Maybe I'll walk into the theater, fears and all, and will come out... Hmm... and will come out.

Dear lord I can't stop staring at that image... And Gavin's absolutely right. The only redeeming quality of this movie would be if Matthew Broderick and Nathan Lane [not whoever is producing this movie] get a 100 million dollars from this. =D[/SIZE]

[size=1]If I was in any other kind of mood I'd hurl all sorts of graphic and colourful abuse at this mockery, but right now all I can do is laugh. I simply do not care about this film anymore and it'll be a cold day in hell before I watch it.

As I'm sure I've mentioned to someone before, I'm more looking forward to the new animated DBZ movie that's coming out sometime soon. Don't know much about it yet but hey, it's DB animation, so it can't go far wrong. ¬_¬

I'm tempted to find the wikipedia page relating to Oozaru and add this image if someone with a lot of freetime on their hands hasn't already.

...Words have lost all meaning. ¬_¬[/size]

Oh my gosh guys you won't believe this. They went as far as to get rights for enough sequels that they're extending it all the way through GT.....and get this. Instead of an epic battle between Goku and Vegeta, they're cutting Vegeta out and exposing the Golden Oozaru's one weakness...its deplorable.
That's not me by the way

[quote name='Drizzt Do'urden']Oh my gosh guys you won't believe this. They went as far as to get rights for enough sequels that they're extending it all the way through GT.....and get this. Instead of an epic battle between Goku and Vegeta, they're cutting Vegeta out and exposing the Golden Oozaru's one weakness...its deplorable.
That's not me by the way[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Wait...wait...Dragonball Z [I]without[/I] Vegeta ? I know I said I was going to stop complaining but this is really just ****ing ridiculous, Krillin OK, he gets *****-slapped through houses and proves useful once in the entire series but Vegeta ?! Seriously how can there be an Android Saga is there's no Trunks ? (Oh wait they cut out Gero too so there shouldn't be one anyway)

What about Namek seeing as it was Vegeta and Nappa who made going there necessary ? (On second thought just Piccolo is bad enough I don't want to see the whole damn race) OK...Majin Buu...nope Vegeta went evil and provided the energy for Buu to be released and then the fusion/back up to defeat him for good.

Basically what I'm saying is you can't cut out one of the most God damn story essential stories like it's nothing. Of course given they've butchered everything else perhaps this is mercy so we don't see it happen to the "Prince of All Saiyans" too.

Jesus these people suck.[/SIZE]