OtakuBoards

Meet and greet chat?

ChibiHorsewoman

[color=#9933ff]Lord I need to stop bringing my work home with me. Okay so I work at a senior living community for people with Alzheimers and Dimensia and when we get new people we try to introduce them to all the new residents and the staff (more so the staff since the majority of us still retain most information given to us) and show them around.

I was thinking that maybe on theOtaku we could try to do a group chat some time to introduce or re-introduce ourselves. It's be a good way to meet people and maybe drag along some fresh blood.

Or it could be a total flop either way it's an idea that hasn't been offered as far as I can tell.[/color]

I stole your thread, so you go and steal my idea. :animesmil

I think that would be a great idea. How would we go about doing it though? To me it would seem like we would have to use something like MSN or other client in which you can patch a large group of people in. Or is there some way on boards? A link, or specilized area we could use?

[quote name='Drizzt Do'urden']I stole your thread, so you go and steal my idea. :animesmil

I think that would be a great idea. How would we go about doing it though? To me it would seem like we would have to use something like MSN or other client in which you can patch a large group of people in. Or is there some way on boards? A link, or specilized area we could use?[/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff]Well turn about is fair play :p

I do know that theOtaku has a community chat room that we could use if we wanted to. All you have to do is just activate your account on there- unfortunately you can't use the chatrooms unless you've been active for three months which gives some of the new people a disadvantage to being in this chat. I think one of the larger IM companies (I'm on YIM and AIM) would be a good idea and maybe even a better one since you only have to own an IM handle.

Now how do we go about this whole thing because we have to try to have people on[/color]

Chats on theO are great fun, so I highly encourage this. However, it should be noted that you have to be a member of theO for a certain amount of time (I think it is three or four months, but I am hazy on that -- feel free to correct me on that, anybody) before you can participate in chats.

[quote name='Shinmaru']However, it should be noted that you have to be a member of theO for a certain amount of time (I think it is three or four months, but I am hazy on that -- feel free to correct me on that, anybody) before you can participate in chats.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]It's three months.

Anyway, this sounds like it'd be fun. I'd like to get to know some of the people here [despite me being here for a couple years, though I do have a shaky activity level], and Shin is right, theO's chats are amazingly fun...that is, if the right people are there, hah.[/SIZE]

[FONT="Tahoma"]Personally I think this could be a lot of fun. ^_^ I'm not too worried about the time restriction for theOtaku's chat. If it's on official event and set up for a certain time, then it is possible to ask Adam to remove the restriction just for that time frame. Like he did for the celebrity chats that have been held there.

However, I think AIM would be a much better format since it has a lot more flexibility with the actual chat window. If you get very many people in at theOtaku's chat, then the conversation can scroll quicker than you can even read it, so it's very limited in that respect.

So I say we find a time or a day, and use something like AIM. [/FONT]

[quote name='Sabrina'][FONT="Tahoma"]Personally I think this could be a lot of fun. ^_^ I'm not too worried about the time restriction for theOtaku's chat. If it's on official event and set up for a certain time, then it is possible to ask Adam to remove the restriction just for that time frame. Like he did for the celebrity chats that have been held there.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]That'd be great except I don't want Shahllen busting in and stupiding up the place while we're trying to talk. :p

Like everyone else is saying, though. Scheduling it in AIM or something of the like isn't a bad idea. Probably our best bet, in fact.[/FONT]

[quote name='Sabrina'][FONT="Tahoma"]

However, I think AIM would be a much better format since it has a lot more flexibility with the actual chat window. If you get very many people in at theOtaku's chat, then the conversation can scroll quicker than you can even read it, so it's very limited in that respect.

So I say we find a time or a day, and use something like AIM. [/FONT][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]I need to turn off the AIM noise whenever a new message pops up, I'm off doing something else and I think someone's saying something to me and waiting for a new window to pop up in my face when it's only the Group Chat thing going off.

Hey lemme know though and I'll try my best to make it. [/FONT]

[quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]That'd be great except I don't want Shahllen busting in and stupiding up the place while we're trying to talk. :p

Like everyone else is saying, though. Scheduling it in AIM or something of the like isn't a bad idea. Probably our best bet, in fact.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff]I second that motion. I already have AIM and it's an quto log in. We could probably do a few days of group chats too just to make sure that everyone can make at least one of them.[/color]

[quote name='Esther'][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="1"]I like the idea of an AIM chat. I'm always on AIM so that shouldn't be a problem for me.

I'm looking forward to getting more acquainted with you guys![/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff]Yeah same here, in fact I'm on AIM now if anyone cares. Meeting new peoiple and getting to know old ones is actually kind of enjoyable. For the most part.[/color]

[SIZE="1"]Rebirth of the old OB AIM Chats huh ? Sounds good to me, probably the only thing we need to do there is to get familiar with one anothers AIM handles so people know who's actually in the chat. Of course that first barage of "Hey" and "Who's this" is always fun. ^_^

If this is successful, we really should try and make it a regular, even weekly thing.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]Rebirth of the old OB AIM Chats huh ? Sounds good to me, probably the only thing we need to do there is to get familiar with one anothers AIM handles so people know who's actually in the chat. Of course that first barage of "Hey" and "Who's this" is always fun. ^_^

If this is successful, we really should try and make it a regular, even weekly thing.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff]Oh but the 'Hey who the Hell is this: Why do you have my IM? is so much fun... at least the first three times. But I agree we should get familiar with AIM handles. Most everyone who has one has it in their member profile. But sometimes people don't check those so maybe we could just list our handles in our posts? (I'm CrazyKaligirl81)

And this could be fun as a weekly thing- at least it would offer more interesting chat fodder to be copied and pasted into someone's signature.[/color]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]That'd be great except I don't want Shahllen busting in and stupiding up the place while we're trying to talk. :p[/FONT][/QUOTE]That's what block is for. If the time restriction were removed briefly, I would most likely be there. So you can guess what would happen then. =P I think AIM would be better though.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='ChibiHorsewoman'][color=#9933ff]And this could be fun as a weekly thing- at least it would offer more interesting chat fodder to be copied and pasted into someone's signature.[/color][/QUOTE]

[size=1]I was so about tp say something like that. :p

This sounds like an awesome idea. We just need a scheduled time for it.

my AIM: skyefoxx09[/size]

[quote name='SunfallE'][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]That's what block is for. If the time restriction were removed briefly, I would most likely be there. So you can guess what would happen then. =P I think AIM would be better though.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]I say let him in. It will amuse me to no end. *is shot repeatedly*[/FONT]

[quote name='Korey][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"']I say let him in. It will amuse me to no end. *is shot repeatedly*[/FONT][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Oh, letting him in is the easy part. Just, if you start talking to him, most of us won't have a clue what you're doing, since he'll be on [I]our[/I] block list. I'm pretty sure that blocking someone affects only what the individual receives, and not what the blocked person sends. (^_^)[/FONT]

[quote name='Korey][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"']I say let him in. It will amuse me to no end. *is shot repeatedly*[/FONT][/quote]Sure why not? Then we can be amused by kicking him out every time he returns. However, joke or not. I say we stick to AIM and not amuse ourselves by poking fun at an eleven year old.

• 1 month later...
[color=#9933CC]Just wondering - did you guys ever actually have the chat? Either way, I'd love to do one again if all of you are still up for it. I'm never on OB anymore, but a chat would be a great way to get to know y'all. I have a few ideas in mind for planning and such if you'd like to have one.

Oh and Boo: [/color] [quote name='Boo'][size=1]I smell Teh Silly Circus.[/size][/QUOTE] [color=#9933CC]I love you. =)[/color]

[quote name='MistressRoxie'][color=#9933CC]Just wondering - did you guys ever actually have the chat? Either way, I'd love to do one again if all of you are still up for it. I'm never on OB anymore, but a chat would be a great way to get to know y'all. I have a few ideas in mind for planning and such if you'd like to have one.[/color][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff]Not that I know of. It would be ncie if we had one soon. But not this weekend. I'm going to be out of town and can't get to a computer.

Maybe we could have some kind of Holiday Theme chat.

Also, I still think it's best to add your AIM/ YIM handle to your post just in case people are too lazy to check your profile. (CrazyKaliGirl81 )[/color]