Jump to content
OtakuBoards

How do we Outsmart our Machine Overlords?


Recommended Posts

Posted
[font=franklin gothic medium]We have only recently (as in, within the last few months) updated the registration security for OB, but these bots are obviously something new.

I'll have a chat with Petie and Desbreko about this to see if we have any other options to block them out.

It may be, if worst comes to worst, that we have to incorporate a more complex registration system - hopefully not though.[/font]
Posted
[color=deeppink]This is unwarranted discrimination. Bots have been some of our best members.

I myself was a bot for the first 3 weeks I was here. A surgery corrected the problem, but if we had always discriminated against bots there would be a lot less pink in OB's history.

And honestly, who would want that?[/color]
Posted
[COLOR=Blue]From personal experience, I've found the [url=http://recaptcha.net/]reCAPTCHA[/url] system to work really well. I noticed a drastic decrease in the number of spam registrations once I switched over to it from the default CAPTCHA system. Some will still slip through but they are few and far between.

Unfortunately, it seems as though this version of vBulletin does not support reCAPTCHA but it's something we can look at adding once we upgrade.
[/COLOR]
Posted
[color=#4B0082]OB currently doesn't use any form of CAPTCHA images for verification, but instead it asks a question and a correct answer has to be entered into the form. Both the questions and corresponding answers are completely customizable, and after the first couple spam posts recently I went through and changed all of them. Obviously it doesn't seem to have helped...

I kind of doubt any form of CAPTCHA would be more secure than this, though. Whereas bots can use OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software on CAPTCHA images, they'd have to be able to actually read and understand the questions in order to enter the correct answers since each forum that uses this type of verification has its own set of questions. I don't know a lot about bots, but it seems like that would be a whole lot more complicated than simply OCRing images and spitting out the result.

I'll look around on vBulletin.org for more anti-spam hacks.[/color]
Posted
[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]I don't know a lot about bots[/color][/QUOTE][size=1]That sounds like something a bot would say... :shifty:

-Shy[/size]
Posted
[quote name='Shy'][size=1]That sounds like something a bot would say... :shifty:

-Shy[/size][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]No, that sounds like something a bot would say!
[/SIZE]
Posted
[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]No, that sounds like something a bot would say!
[/SIZE][/QUOTE][SIZE="1"]No, that sounds like something a bot would say!
[/SIZE][SIZE="1"]No, that sounds like something a bot would say!
[/SIZE][SIZE="1"]No, that sounds like something a bot would say!
[/SIZE][SIZE="1"]No, that sounds like something a bot would say!
[/SIZE][SIZE="1"]No, that sounds like something a bot would say!
[/SIZE][SIZE="1"]No, that sounds like something a bot would say!
[/SIZE][SIZE="1"]No, that sounds like something a bot would say!
[/SIZE][SIZE="1"]No, that sounds like something a bot would say!
[/SIZE][SIZE="1"]No, that sounds like something a bot would say!
[/SIZE][SIZE="1"]No, that sounds like something a bot would say!
[/SIZE][SIZE="1"]No, that sounds like something a bot would say!
[/SIZE][SIZE="1"]No, that sounds like something a bot would say!
[/SIZE][SIZE="1"]No, that sounds like something a bot would say!
[/SIZE][SIZE="1"]No, that sounds like something a bot would say!
[/SIZE][SIZE="1"]No, that sounds like something a bot would say!
[/SIZE][SIZE="1"]No, that sounds like something a bot would say!
[/SIZE] [SIZE="1"]Ne soat likthmeo, tsounds hingt woul a bod say!
[/SIZE] [SIZE="1"]at sas y! oomsNng a boo, ths like thit woeunduld
[/SIZE][301 system failure]
Posted
[quote name='Boo'][SIZE="1"]No, that sounds like something a bot would say!
[/SIZE][SIZE="1"]No, that sounds like something a bot would say!
[/SIZE][SIZE="1"]No, that sounds like something a bot would say!
[/SIZE][SIZE="1"]No, that sounds like something a bot would say!
[/SIZE][SIZE="1"]No, that sounds like something a bot would say!
[/SIZE][SIZE="1"]No, that sounds like something a bot would say!
[/SIZE][SIZE="1"]No, that sounds like something a bot would say!
[/SIZE][SIZE="1"]No, that sounds like something a bot would say!
[/SIZE][SIZE="1"]No, that sounds like something a bot would say!
[/SIZE][SIZE="1"]No, that sounds like something a bot would say!
[/SIZE][SIZE="1"]No, that sounds like something a bot would say!
[/SIZE][SIZE="1"]No, that sounds like something a bot would say!
[/SIZE][SIZE="1"]No, that sounds like something a bot would say!
[/SIZE][SIZE="1"]No, that sounds like something a bot would say!
[/SIZE][SIZE="1"]No, that sounds like something a bot would say!
[/SIZE][SIZE="1"]No, that sounds like something a bot would say!
[/SIZE] [SIZE="1"]Ne soat likthmeo, tsounds hingt woul a bod say!
[/SIZE] [SIZE="1"]at sas y! oomsNng a boo, ths like thit woeunduld
[/SIZE][301 system failure][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]*Shotgun sound*

You're terminated. ;)[/SIZE]
Posted
[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]Over at theOtaku, the trendy thing to do is blame Shinmaru. So perhaps if we blame him here too it will solve the problem!

>_>
<_<[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][I]*IT'S SHINMARU'S FAULT!*[/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]
Posted
[quote name='Aaryanna'][FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="1"][I]*IT'S SHINMARU'S FAULT!*[/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE][size=1]Oh we've been doing that for years here. I think I even nominated 'Bashing Shinmaru' one year for the Nifty 50 because of how widespread it had become.

-Shy[/size]
Posted
[quote name='Shy'][size=1]Oh we've been doing that for years here. I think I even nominated 'Bashing Shinmaru' one year for the Nifty 50 because of how widespread it had become.

-Shy[/size][/QUOTE]

What? This is his fault, too? :O Shinmaru really does spread the blame...
Posted
[QUOTE]Shinmaru is not at fault! Shinmaru is not at fault!
Shinmaru is not at fault! Shinmaru is not at fault!
Shinmaru is not at fault! Shinmaru is not at fault!
kj kasjk asj kl boot crack fazzah!
[Script error at line 201][/QUOTE]

Anyway, seriously, hope things on the bot crack down go well. Spam is a big pain, and the more they are undetected, the more they grow.
>>
<<

*coast is clear...*
Posted
[FONT=Arial Narrow][I]Why won't somebody think of the children? [/I]

And I was going to mention something similar to Shy's post, but he did it better and with much more adept conveyance of superiority. :p[/FONT]
  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...