OtakuBoards

Recession F-bombs

Rachmaninoff

I'm sure you all already knew we're a nation of potty mouths. =P But if this article is to be believed, it's on the rise. [URL="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29681795/"][U]Recession F-bombs: Why swearing feels great[/U][/URL] I won't try and pretend that I don't swear from time to time.

However I was raised in an environment where it was, and still is, heavily discouraged. So I tend to not swear very often. I may not swear much myself, but unless It's like they explain in the article here:[quote][FONT="Arial"]“Obviously there’s a wrong time and wrong place for swearing,” says psychotherapist Irwin. “You don’t want to swear in court or around children or on TV. You don’t want to swear at a business meeting or when you’re asking for a raise or when the police pull you over for a ticket. And you never want to be verbally abusive.”

Outside of that, though, Irwin says she’s a big fan of swearing as a way to defuse anger — unless cussing is all a person does.

“If you can’t get through one paragraph without swearing, then you need to get a dictionary and starting expanding your vocabulary,” she says. “It might also be a red flag that you have some anger issues that you need to get a grip on.” [/FONT] [/quote]Then I usually don't care if someone else does. Obviously it depends on the situation. If I'm seeing an R rated movie, then to not expect it is just stupid really. Just as one would expect to not hear it in say a church setting. =P

So... What about the rest of you? Do you find yourself using swear words more now, especially with how the economy is having so many issues? Or has it stayed the same? I don't think I swear any more than I used to. But I haven't been counting either.

[COLOR=SeaGreen][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I'm actually swearing less lately than I used to, though that is in part due to a conscious effort on my own part. I used to be one of those f-bomb every other sentence people, and I realized just how bad I was getting. My cursing while driving has gotten noticeably worse, but I just moved to Phoenix, and there's a lot of construction for road expansions, and the drivers around here have no idea whatsoever how to merge. It's ridiculous.

Of course, it's easier for me to vent a little physically right now, so that may help. Being unemployed with beautiful weather means I can get outside and vent some more (although the unemployment issue is stressful by itself). Well, that and the arsenal of Nerf guns that exists in this house...
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

I used to be bad about this, particularly after I got back from basic training. I just took the initiative and forced myself to quit, I'm still guilty of all the other swears several times a day.

I think that if you cus you're human. But if you do it in every sentence as the article says then I agree you need to reavaluate yourself and your vocabulary.

[SIZE="1"]I don't swear much atall, very few people have heard me. I don't have a problem with swearing, although there is a time and place for it.

However, it seems like its the "in" thing to throw the F word around as causually as any other basic elementry word. [I]That[/I] I can't stand. I don't think its gotten worse because of the economy, its just the way its been for awhile. I agree that these people need to revaluate their vocabulary, lol.[/SIZE]

[quote]“If you can’t get through one paragraph without swearing, then you need to get a dictionary and starting expanding your vocabulary."[/quote]

[font= franklin gothic medium]Couldn't have said it better myself.

I tend not to swear so much, because I feel it demeans me as a person. If I'm angry, I might let a few slip here and there, but even so, I have better ways to diffuse stress than using curse words.

In response to the article, I don't think that the nation's problems really are to attribute to the rising of cursing, simply because people who use curse words tend to use them in ANY sort of stressful situation. Stubbed their toes, got cut off on the freeway, dropped the cake they had just made...etc.

****.[/font]

As OB probably knows, I swear constantly both off and online. I'd say that people who 'don't like' or 'discourage' swear words piss me off more than almost any other kind of people. The depression hasn't really impacted my speech habits because if I cussed any more, there wouldn't be any regular words left, lol.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote][FONT="Arial"]?If you can?t get through one paragraph without swearing, then you need to get a dictionary and starting expanding your vocabulary.?[/FONT] [/quote]That really sums it up for me as well. Just as the bit about there being a time and place for it does too. It's not that hard to not swear after all.

I tend to not swear a lot since I was raised where it was discouraged and then had jobs where it was also discouraged. So though I do swear some, it's not a lot. I'd definitely say the trend of swearing more is true, but I don't know if I'd blame the current economic crisis. I think it just gave some people a new thing to swear at.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]I swear a lot, I just (mostly) do it in appropriate situations[/SIZE]. [SIZE=1]I never drop the F-bomb in front of my parents, but I use it a lot more often when talking to my friends.

I think our prudishness about swearing is diminishing, though. Most people understand that they are just words, and they can't harm anyone unless used in context. It is only when put into a phrase like "I ****ed your sister" that the F-word becomes genuinely offensive - when shouted out as someone drops something on their foot, or panics in the car, it is simply an exclamation, and can't do any harm to anyone else.

However, I do entirely agree with the point that has been made about people who can't get through a paragraph without using some kind of curse word. I know a few people like that, and they drive me up the ****ing wall.

Well, two out of three ain't bad.[/SIZE]

Ah, I do swear quite a bit, actually. Yes, they certainly are good vents for anger, frustration, or even just spicing something up. Like in Eddie Izzard's thing about Star Wars where Darth Vader says "This is a f***ing star! I run it!". Would that be as amusing if he said "This is a star! I run it!"? It's missing something, isn't it? Some things just NEED a swear word or two. Or three. Or etc.

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]Personally, I never get offended by anything.

Ever.

By anything.

Seriously. I'm so laid back and my sense of humor is so severely twisted that I find absolutely nothing to be offensive, no matter how shocking or crass it may be.

As for "The Recession" causing people to swear more. Well, that's just ****ing retarded.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT="Arial"][quote name='SunfallE][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]I don't know if I'd blame the current economic crisis. I think it just gave some people a new thing to swear at.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]I agree, people who swear, didn't suddenly start over the economic stress. They just added it to their list of things they swear over.

I actually don't swear much if at all. I did when I was a teen but when I started working, I noticed that for some people, hearing the paramedic helping them swear from time to time, just got them agitated, which isn't a good thing. So I worked on dropping the habit and I haven't been one to swear much since then.

Can't say it bothers me though, well unless it's someone who, like the article says, needs to expand their vocabulary. When someone swears that much, it just makes them sound like a moron. lol[/FONT]

• 2 weeks later...
[FONT="Tahoma"][quote name='2009DigitalBoy']I'd say that people who 'don't like' or 'discourage' swear words piss me off more than almost any other kind of people. [/quote]No wonder we fought when we first met. XD I'm the exact opposite and one of those people that annoy you. :p It's how I was raised and how I see things on a personal and religious level.

Anyway, I would have to say that my habits have not changed. I don't swear. It's pretty rare for me to use anything other than damn or hell. I even have a hard time using something for fictional characters in writing. o_O The habit of not swearing is just something I'm too used too. [/FONT]

Swearing is one of those things that people use for various reasons. It's strange that people seem to attach themselves to certain words and not others. (Imagine hearing someone shout "OH CROCKPOT!", or "What a pile of goujons.")

Myself, I swear, but never the F word, or C word. I don't think I've said either once in my whole life. I don't mind others saying them. (I'd be pretty screwed anyway even if I did, considering my partners pottymouth. ;) )

To me swearing is just a series of sounds made by your vocal chords. It's no different that someone saying 'dog', or 'angel fruit cake'. So... Swear it up if you want, I'm not phased by it.

[COLOR="Indigo"][FONT="Arial"]The recession hasn't changed my swearing habits at all. I don't swear very often and it certainly hasn't increased. I do agree with the article when it's talking about there being too much of it. Anytime I come across someone who can't get through any sentence without tossing in cusswords, all I think is... what an uneducated moron.[/FONT][/COLOR]