OtakuBoards

Too Fat To Work: England

Raiha

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]A family whose combined weight is roughly half a ton is complaining that the 22,000 pounds they receive from the government in welfare is too little to support them.

That comes out to like 44,000 dollars in the US btw, which is about enough to live on provided you don't eat cereal for breakfast, bacon buddies for lunch, microwaved pies, crisps, and chips for dinner, and weigh around 18 stone. They argue that the price of healthy food is too high for them to afford and thus they are fat. And thus they can't work and need welfare money.

Their daughter, who is roughly 290 pounds complains that she's a student and thus has no time to work out. Which is strange because she somehow has time to waddle to class and fill her face at lunch and dinner time. I'm a full time student with a full time job and I still have figured out how to meet with a personal trainer and go for walks while listening to lectures.

Do you think this is bollocks? Keeping in mind this isn't the US economy, this is England's economy.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]Is there an article you can link to for this? Just curious :)

I think this whole ordeal is kind of ridiculous, to be honest. That should be enough money for three people, providing they aren't wasteful.

And I believe also, they should put some time & money into hiring trainers or dietitians. Those numbers are disgusting.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[URL="http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Fitness/story?id=7122717&page=1"]http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Fitness/story?id=7122717&page=1[/URL] Here's the story

As for these people, looks like all they do is whine and that is all they will ever be good at. I think the government should kick their lazy bums out of the welfare program and watch them fail. The government does not need to pay them to be lazy.

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Well then there's the issue of a wife with epilepsy not being able to afford her medication which is hilarious because my friend is on welfare AND has epilepsy and somehow manages to forego food he doesn't need to pay for his meds that he DOES need so he doesn't seizure and blank out while going bankai driving.

Some things just aren't worth it, and I've got to say, that daughter should probably get off of her lard filled behind before she can't walk anymore.[/FONT][/COLOR]

She needs to cut the twinkies, cut the cuitie pie snacks, waddle/jiggle her way to sholl' and if all else fails, PURGE, PURGE, PURGE!!!

I thought I was fat! 15, 6ft, 207 lbs, and a BMI of 27.7, which is technically over weight.

[quote name='Raiha'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Well then there's the issue of a wife with epilepsy not being able to afford her medication which is hilarious because my friend is on welfare AND has epilepsy and somehow manages to forego food he doesn't need to pay for his meds that he DOES need so he doesn't seizure and blank out while going bankai driving.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=4]YEah I do have to laugh at that as well. My ex mother-in-law is on welfare and has epilepsy and not only can she afford her medication, she can also afford to buy cartons of cigarettes and cat food for her six cats. Of course she only weighs about 92lbs (can't quite convert that into kilograms or stones) and says she can't work due to the epilepsy and the rods in her back (which is bull since one of my cousins has a rod in her back and works her behind off) perhaps she's just too damn skinny to work. :animesigh

I think it's sad that someone has to say that they can't afford to live on what is roughly 44K$ a year in USD. Okay I don't know much about the economy in England, but I assume that could make a dent in it if one person would get a job. I hardly make half of that and yet the government in New York says that I make too much to qualify for public assistance. They'd rather you try to sit on your butt and collect welfare instead of work and get some help. Bloody moronic government.:animeswea

Okay so I'm no saint, I'm overweight and don't always eat right, but I also excersize either at the gym, with my daughter or while at work. So some of it is just pure laziness.

Maybe that girl and her family should buy up 2 seats a peice on an English airways jet and cart themselves over to this side of the pond and join Biggest Loser Families. Seems they're a prime candidate for that show.[/color][/font][/size]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]You mean a thousand pounds of family can't live on twenty-two thousand pounds of money?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Lol.[/FONT][/quote]

Single best statement I've heard all week.....absolutely fantastic.

I can't speak for England, but this song and dance has been so played out in the States its ridonkulous. Well though I'm not totally sure how it works, I assume the program is like the states and unless on disability the daughter wouldn't receive welfare. So maybe she should just give in to the lives her glutton parents have set for her.

Okay, I've read it like three times and I didn't see anything saying the parent couldn't afford her medicine for epilepsy. The only thing I saw was that she had been in the hospital because of it. Just as I also found one that said the father was going to have some surgery to help but can't because of a heart condition.

I'm sure it doesn't help that they're lifestyle is one of not getting around, but at least the parents do sound like the have legitimate health issues. So losing weight isn't a guarantee that they'd suddenly be able to work.

I do agree with the sentiment that the daughter could do something about the weight, but I imagine it's not that easy. She's used to her current lifestyle. Also, I kind of agree about the money issue. That should be more than enough to live on.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Raiha'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]A family whose combined weight is roughly half a ton is complaining that the 22,000 pounds they receive from the government in welfare is too little to support them.

That comes out to like 44,000 dollars in the US btw, which is about enough to live on provided you don't eat cereal for breakfast, bacon buddies for lunch, microwaved pies, crisps, and chips for dinner, and weigh around 18 stone. They argue that the price of healthy food is too high for them to afford and thus they are fat. And thus they can't work and need welfare money.

Their daughter, who is roughly 290 pounds complains that she's a student and thus has no time to work out. Which is strange because she somehow has time to waddle to class and fill her face at lunch and dinner time. I'm a full time student with a full time job and I still have figured out how to meet with a personal trainer and go for walks while listening to lectures.

Do you think this is bollocks? Keeping in mind this isn't the US economy, this is England's economy.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[url=http://art-bin.com/art/omodest.html]A modest proposal.[/url]

Huh. Fitting and applicable. Go me.

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]You mean a thousand pounds of family can't live on twenty-two thousand pounds of money?

Lol.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]I laughed, felt bad, then laughed again.

The way media goes I'm sure Max Clifford will get his hands on this lot and attempt to turn them into the new national saints in the fight against obesity. In a way it's worse when trash magazines like Closer can capture headlines with these kind of pointless stories when there's so much more important things going on in the world.[/SIZE]

[FONT="Tahoma"]I'd really like to know more about this before I comment or determine anything. o_O There are just so many unanswered questions that the article doesn't even begin to address. Plus, you know the media is going to spin it in the worst possible light so it gets the most attention. Still, being that overweight... it's a shame really. [/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]Fixed.

Honesty is the best policy, [COLOR=DarKRed]Gavin[/COLOR] (^_^)[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]<_<

>_>

Alright Al, get out from wherever you're hiding in my room with your hands on your head.[/SIZE]

[quote name='chibi-master']He probably has cameras in there doing the dirty work for him. Can't risk getting caught.:p[/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Actually it's more like extremely high levels of intuition and empathy filtered through logic.

Ask [COLOR=DarkRed]Indi[/COLOR]. She knows.[/FONT]

[COLOR="Indigo"][FONT="Arial"]Other than to wonder about legitimate health issues... I'd say it's kind of sad that they can't live on that much or claim it's not enough. [QUOTE=Allamorph][FONT=Arial]Actually it's more like extremely high levels of intuition and empathy filtered through logic.

Ask [COLOR=DarkRed]Indi[/COLOR]. She knows.[/FONT][/QUOTE][FONT="Verdana"]¬_¬[/FONT] Don't make me [I]maim[/I] you.
[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]Actually it's more like extremely high levels of intuition and empathy filtered through logic.

Ask [COLOR=DarkRed]Indi[/COLOR]. She knows.[/FONT][/QUOTE]
[SIZE="1"]
Al we all know you don't have empathy...[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin][SIZE="1"]Al we all know you don't have [B]sympathy[/B']...[/SIZE][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Fix'd again.

Whether or not I know what you're feeling (and sometimes I wonder if I'm part Betazoid :p) has no bearing on whether or not I choose to be merciful about it.[/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]Whether or not I know what you're feeling (and sometimes I wonder if I'm part Betazoid :p) has no bearing on whether or not I choose to be merciful about it.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Funny, I always pictured you as the Vulcan type Al. Hence the use of empathy rather than sympathy. I already knew Basement Cat did not feel sympathy for anything. :p[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin][SIZE="1"']Funny, I always pictured you as the Vulcan type Al.[/SIZE][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]If I'm half Betazoid, the other half is Romulan. :animesmil

Also, I think the general flow of the conversation lately in this thread shows exactly how much we're concerned over the plight of poor English potbellies. (Man, am I politically correct, or what?)[/FONT]