OtakuBoards

Sleep Is For The Weak!

Rachmaninoff

Not really, but with finals coming up next week, I was thinking how nice it is that I'm not so busy that I need to forgo sleep in favor of getting ready for tests.

What about the rest of you though? How long can you go without sleep? What is your record? I've had a few times where I went almost three days without getting any sleep. It's something I'd rather not repeat. o_O

In my case it was related to school, for the rest of you, what was the reason you ended up staying awake? Was it for a party or some other reason?

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]I am a freak of nature. No matter the cost, I will always be in bed and get 7 hours of sleep at least or I will not function in any real sense and I will be an angry venom spewing monstrous demonic force of soul sucking horror.

In short, 8 to 9 hours of sleep is normal and REQUIRED for me. I've gone 48 hours without sleep before, but that wasn't even school related. People ask me why I always have a B average when I don't appear to rip my hair out of my head every final or study really hard. Well the secret is that I actually am awake enough to pay attention during my classes themselves, so I learn more than the moron who doesn't sleep, but shows up to class, and sleeps halfway through and doesn't learn crap. It's a sinister world.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"]Longest I've ever gone without sleep is somewhere near 48 hours when I flew from Ireland to Tasmania a few years ago, got up the morning I took the flight didn't sleep a wink at any point along the 30 or so hours I was flying and then stayed up another 7 hours when I actually got to Hobart so I would hopefully adjust to the local time, which thankfully worked.

Normally I like to have a minimum of eight hours sleep which happens most of the time with college, with work at the moment I'm operating somewhere around the 5 1/2 to 6 hour mark and after nearly a month the results are becoming more and more obvious.[/SIZE]

My record is somewhere near 48 of no sleep. It might have been a little more. I don't sleep to well and get a maximum of 3 to 4 hours per night. Strange part is my sleep habitats don't interfere with my college work load or grades. I tend to stay in the A-B range. If I do get more then 3 to 4 hours, I tend to not do very well the whole day. I just stay tired.

[size=1]Long time. From the aid of drugs (I didn't say illegal, but... =p) or just by myself. I do have a very odd sleeping pattern. If I do sleep, I sleep for a long time and wake up through the night mostly. Generally I'm a lazy person so I won't even do much when I'm awake, but I can stay up for a very long time. Not that I'm proud of it, I go to sleep when I'm bored, not tired.[/size]

Psh. The only sleep I get is during the day. Even during the school year, at times.

The longest I've gone? Probably about 3 days or a little less. That is the work of driving to Arkansas from New York. I've recently been thinking about trying to go for 5 days without sleep. But that would hinder me in karate... So, not for a while.

Hey, I'm hoping this is on topic, seeing as this thread it about sleep...but who has trouble sleeping away from home? I hear a lot about people who do. But if I want to sleep, I drop like a rock wherever I am.

[quote name='chibi-master'] who has trouble sleeping away from home? I hear a lot about people who do. But if I want to sleep, I drop like a rock wherever I am.[/quote]So long as I have a decently comfortable bed to sleep on, it doesn't matter if I'm at home or not. I just carry a set of ear plugs with me when I travel. I've found that simply shutting out unfamiliar noise is all it takes for me to fall asleep.

[size=1]I have no problem sleeping away from home, comfy bed or not. A few places I've crashed:

Bath (happens a lot at parties)
Dog basket
Table
Corner
Skip

I haven't slept a full night outside though, ha.[/size]

[quote name='chibi-master']

Hey, I'm hoping this is on topic, seeing as this thread it about sleep...but who has trouble sleeping away from home? [/quote]

I don't have any problems falling asleep away from home. I actually sleep more when I'm away from home. At home I just can't sleep very long.

[font=trebuchet ms] Most I've gone is 24 hours and NEVER AGAIN. It was to study for a final at 11:15 AM and by 8 AM I was in the dining hall (literally) slapping myself while watching funny Youtube videos while slovenly eating buttered grits to keep myself awake.

I'm a sleepaholic and even my friends know that the reason I'm not texting back you back after 5 texts about going to the movies tonight is because I'm sleeping.

And coffee/tea/two Monsters in a row/soda does not help me stay awake. Honestly I have been searching for something that will help me stay up for school, but nothing has worked on me so far. [/font]

[font=Arial]Longest I've gone 60 hours without sleep during finals week and tanked my last exam. Would highly advise against it. I wrote two papers and studied for three finals in that time, so I guess something had to give.

I started hallucinating a bit, seeing phantom images, in addition to irregularly fluctuating body temperature and unquenchable thirst. How did I do it? Adderall.[/font]

[I]"We will never sleep cos' sleep is for the weak, and we will never rest til' we're all ****ing dead!"[/I][INDENT][B]-Diamonds aren't Forever by Bring me The Horizon[/B][/INDENT][FONT=Palatino Linotype]Sorry, I couldn't control myself with that one.[/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]But I hate sleep, yet I love it. I spend most of mydays during the summer, staying up until 3-5 AM. I rarely go to bed before midnight unless I'm extremely tired, or if I have school. The longest I've stayed up was for almost 2 days. I was at a sleep over with a bunch of friends.[/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]I stayed up for hours and then we went to a supposed 'haunted place' in the woods called Ecky road (pronounced Eekie which is ironic for it possibly being haunted. Well, when we got back I came to find out I was overtired, but I never went to sleep. So me and my friend went to the restaurant to get french fries, then it rained like all hell when we walked back! But it was worth it becaue I never spend time with him and we've known each other since 2nd grade.[/FONT]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]But yeah, sleep is dumb... yet, sometimes I need and love it. But if you're like me don't stay up for too long because you might end up saying some odd things in front of your friends >_>[/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]I got 50 hours under my belt, stayed at my friends for two days, then went and worked, so around 50, then I crashed and woke up at my friends the next day around 7 at night. fell asleep at the job and I was taken back to his place. Damn near lost the job![/COLOR]

Went just about 120 hours without sleep several months back because I learned I was gonna be a father.
It was such a fun time thanks to my whacked sences. I slurred when speaking, stumbled when walking, was super paranoid, and ate like a starving chipmunk or something.
On top of all that I was totally trippin' balls and would hallucinate like every few seconds especially when someone tried to talk to me. It looked as if they were floating towards me which just added to my paranoia.

[I]"I never sleep, 'cause sleep is the cousin of death."[/I]

In my graphics department at school, it's a given that you're going to do an all-nighter at least on the night before the final, and probably for a few other projects too. Fortunately, that means actually [I]doing[/I] stuff in a room full of people, so there's a lot of energy to keep you awake. Class is first thing in the morning, so most people are able to ride that wave at least through their own presentations before they start shutting down.

Jobless as I am, I've been staying up later and later. Night before last, I was still up at six, so I thought "screw it", and just didn't go to bed, since that would end up with me waking up at like, three or four in the afternoon, thus perpetuating the cycle. Yesterday turned out to be a busy day, so I was able to stay awake until I just crashed around nine and woke up at twelve today. I'd say my plan worked out well enough.

I've stayed up for... 36 hours maybe? I dunno the actual amount, but I once stayed up all night to read manga. Yeah. And I had school and some small presentations to do the next day. I never want to repeat that experience, it felt awful.

[quote name='"chibi-master"']Hey, I'm hoping this is on topic, seeing as this thread it about sleep...but who has trouble sleeping away from home? I hear a lot about people who do. But if I want to sleep, I drop like a rock wherever I am.[/quote]
If I'm sleeping in an actual bed, I tend to be fine. But if it's on the ground and I can [i]feel[/i] the frickin' ground/floor, then no I sleep horribly. Plus I've noticed I have strange dreams when I sleep on the ground/floor... stranger than usual, anyway.

[FONT="Tahoma"]The only time I manage to stay up more than 24 hours is when I'm sick and can't sleep or by some weird chance, I stay awake for school or goofing off with friends.

Otherwise, I'm too used to going to bed every night and getting eight hours of sleep. ^^ I'm also able to sleep just about anywhere, once I start getting tired, I can't seem to help it. I'll fall asleep on the sofa in the middle of a movie. o_O[/FONT]

• 2 weeks later...
My record has to be 4 days. When i went on "vacation" last year, we were out for like 4 days and i learned something. I CANNOT sleep in hotel rooms. or at least not on the beds. It may have been because i was sharing a room with my mom and I was just uncomfortable without the privacy of my own room, but whatever the reason, i stayed up all 4 nights and was basically dragged around all day. Not a fun experience. I learned from that trip that Mountian Dew is your ally.

If sleep is for the weak, then I wish to be more weak. Lately, due to medications, I have a great deal of difficulty sleeping. I wouldn't mind so much if it didn't leave me with little energy during the day. Anyway, I definitely prefer getting eight hours a night. As for the number of days I've gone without, I think the most I've ever done that has been around three.

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']So is it difficult for you to sleep during the day? Usually if I'm tired, it doesn't seem to matter if it's night or day.[/QUOTE]

I always stay up super late doing stuff like anime and computer. If I have nothing going on the next morning, I sleep in then. Or I sleep in as much as I can. I stick to this type of sleep schedule till I either passout early one night or take naps during the day.