OtakuBoards

Twitter Down!

JCBaggee

[color=darkred][size=1]So, Twitter is down and has been for a while, as they defend against a denial of service attack.

I haven't posted on OB in a while, but came to post this because I've got one burning question: holy crap, what exactly did we do before Twitter? The Internet feels kinda empty right now :\

--Christopher[/color][/size]

[QUOTE=JCBaggee][color=darkred][size=1]So, Twitter is down and has been for a while, as they defend against a denial of service attack.

I haven't posted on OB in a while, but came to post this because I've got one burning question: holy crap, what exactly did we do before Twitter? The Internet feels kinda empty right now :\

--Christopher[/color][/size][/QUOTE]I would have never noticed since I don't use the service. I just do what I always do, school, work, games, browse other sites, etc.

[font=franklin gothic medium]Unfortunately I pretty much agree with what others are saying here... Twitter is down? Uh... meh? :P

I've never used Twitter or been remotely interested in the concept, so I'm not missing it at all.

These days I don't even really use the 'net all that much outside reading news sites and such.

I'd actually say that my most visited site these days is probably Wikipedia. :catgirl:[/font]

[font=trebuchet ms] I feel like the Twitter revolution is more hype than real participation. Yeah there is a significant amount of people who use it, but IRL I don't see many of them. I feel like most people get one and then never even go back to the site, because in terms of "staying connected" there's already Facebook and MySpace.

If anything Twitter is better for forging new connections rather than renewing old ones. I mean you can follow celebrities and businesses/organizations (which is what I use it for) but in general I don't see the catch.

I'm also annoyed with all the stories I hear about "I got a job through Twitter/Facebook/whatever", because as cool as online social networking is, it will never replace IRL connections. The only reason people get jobs through online networking is because they knew the person already.

tl;dr I'm annoyed that people treat Twitter like some amazing internet phenomenon when really this is as big as it's going to get.[/font]

[quote name='I, Colossus']Could you be [i]more[/i] condescending?? Serious business here, folks.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Oh, I apologize. I didn't realize how world-stopping it is that people can't tell others when they're doing such enthralling activities such as walking from one room to the next, or, better yet, taking a dump.

I'll think next time before besmirching the beloved Tweets. :(

... and if people actually think [I]I'm[/I] condescending, they've clearly not met some of the others here. :catgirl: I'm fairly mild compared to them.

But, yeah. One website is down for awhile, without prior notice. Whoop dee doo doo da. Happens everyday, this one just happens to have a bunch of people on it. Ten bucks says /b/ is behind it, too.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Sangome'][SIZE="1"]Oh, I apologize. I didn't realize how world-stopping it is that people can't tell others when they're doing such enthralling activities such as walking from one room to the next, or, better yet, taking a dump.

I'll think next time before besmirching the beloved Tweets. :(

[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

My reaction to your post had nothing to do with my feelings about twitter. Just the fact that you, and pretty much everyone else, were being exceptionaly rude as a response to a simple thread. Seemed unnecessary for everyone to respond if it was nothing but snide remarks. Just like your nauseatingly sarcastic reply to my post. :animestun

But I digress, I forgot this was the internet and such is to be expected. Excuse me while I enter every thread and add nothing to the subject, except a clever pun relating to my dislike for the subject/OP. You're right! Sarcasm is fun stuff.

[FONT=Arial]I tick people off because I don't carry my cell phone with me all the time and can actually sustain my existence without constant contact with the people I'm not currently around. The heck do I need Twitter for? D'ruther just yell out the window for what it would accomplish.

What did we do without it? Uhh . . . probably didn't go around thinking we were somebody important enough to merit ten-second play-by-plays of our lives to the general internet. And then there's productivity.

Although to be honest I don't even see the point in DDOSing it. Why bother?

(but how do I really feel?)[/FONT]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][QUOTE=I, Colossus]My reaction to your post had nothing to do with my feelings about twitter. Just the fact that you, and pretty much everyone else, were being exceptionaly rude as a response to a simple thread. Seemed unnecessary for everyone to respond if it was nothing but snide remarks. Just like your nauseatingly sarcastic reply to my post. :animestun

But I digress, I forgot this was the internet and such is to be expected. Excuse me while I enter every thread and add nothing to the subject, except a clever pun relating to my dislike for the subject/OP. You're right! Sarcasm is fun stuff.[/QUOTE][CENTER][IMG]http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/4969/internetseriousbusinessu.jpg[/IMG]
[/CENTER]
All joking aside, that's what I think when a net site is down. I just go and find something else to do. I don't use twitter myself and I don't follow anyone who does. Sure it's no fun for people who use it, but at the same time, it's not like there isn't other means of keeping in contact with people.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]Guys, I thought my image was clear, you're all starting to take this a bit too seriously. No one has been rude, indifferent perhaps, but that's about it, so I removed the posts since they were derailing the thread. Also, Korey, Ace... No back seat modding please, the two of you should know better. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='SunfallE'][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"] indifferent perhaps [/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=crimson]I feel very neutral regarding this and have no strong feelings one way or the other regarding Twitter or this thread.

Thank you for your time.[/color]

[FONT="Arial"]I call rule 20.

That aside, I hadn't even noticed it was down until someone told me. But if you wish to ignore rule 20, then here's some more news on it.

[URL="http://www.pcworld.com/article/169803/twitter_ddos_attack.html"][U]Twitter DDoS Attack Reminds Us to Reinforce Safe Web Habits[/U][/URL][/FONT]