OtakuBoards

Christmas Trees!

Boo

[font=Lucida Fax]So. I just got home to find a lit Christmas tree in my living room. And it looks the same like each year: pretty darn awesome. We hardly use any shiny or glimery stuff, but instead a lot of wood things.

But now I popped in here and was just thinking: what do the OtakuBoards Christmas trees look like? And is there something people do every year? Do you have an own little thingy that [i]you[/i] have to hang in the tree each year? Et ceteras. Pictures are more than welcome to brighten up this thread. :^D

I'm a bit in a hurry but felt like posting this. Will post pictures of my awesome tree up later!

By the way, has anybody heard any Christmas songs on the radio yet? I haven't heard a single recognisable one so far. Where's George? :([/font]

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=navy]At my house we've been using the same (fake) tree since I was a kid. It's pretty nice, but a pain in the rear to put up. I'm not sure how familiar everyone is with life-size fake trees, but once it's standing, you have to unfold just about every individual branch. Most years my mother makes a big deal out of decorating it, especially with our really old 'baby' ornaments. Maybe my family is just weird, but their are particular ornaments that have a lot of meaning to her.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=navy]In any case, my favorite tree-related family tradition is definitely the hiding of the pickle. My grandparents have a pickle-shaped ornament that blends in rather well with the tree, and each year the challenge is on to find it before everyone else. We are pretty weird.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Muad'Dib'][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=navy]I'm not sure how familiar everyone is with life-size fake trees, but once it's standing, you have to unfold just about every individual branch. [/COLOR][/FONT][/quote]
[font=lucida fax]Known problem. :V We had that for about four years. Mainly because I was probably allergic to the Christmas tree, but I think I convinced my mum that I wasn't allergic enough to give up having a real tree.[/font]
[quote name='Muad'Dib'][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=navy]Most years my mother makes a big deal out of decorating it, especially with our really old 'baby' ornaments. Maybe my family is just weird, but their are particular ornaments that have a lot of meaning to her.[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]
[font=lucida fax]We had some really old school ornaments that [i]had[/i] to be in the tree, but most of them died by now. However, my little polar bear with colourful hat and scarf remains. Though its fur is completely hard now and it's missing an eye. ;_;[/font]
[quote name='Muad'Dib'][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=navy]In any case, my favorite tree-related family tradition is definitely the hiding of the pickle.[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE][font=lucida fax]That's funny. We have a baby Jesus for that. :V[/font]

[quote name='Muad'Dib'][FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=navy]In any case, my favorite tree-related family tradition is definitely the hiding of the pickle. My grandparents have a pickle-shaped ornament that blends in rather well with the tree, and each year the challenge is on to find it before everyone else. We are pretty weird.[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

I win that every year.:)

As for my family, we always have a real tree that we shove a ton of ornaments on. Crappy ones in the back, precious ones in the front. But it's taking my family forever to get one this year. Too lazy, it seems. And I can't do anything about it. Saving Christmas is only for the movies.

[quote name='Boo'][FONT=lucida fax]Known problem. :V We had that for about four years. [B]Mainly because I was probably allergic to the Christmas tree[/B], but I think I convinced my mum that I wasn't allergic enough to give up having a real tree.[/FONT][/quote]

[SIZE=1]Why am I completely unsurprised by the fact you're allergic to Christmas trees Boo ?[/SIZE] :p

[quote name='chibi-master']But it's taking my family forever to get one this year. Too lazy, it seems. And I can't do anything about it. Saving Christmas is only for the movies.[/quote]

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=darkslateblue]Same situation here. Not enough time and not enough will to actually get the thing out of the garage. Seems every year we get a little less willing to bother.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Ours is one of those mini trees that's actually supposed to be more of a Halloween tree than a Christmas tree...

Black with orange lights and the base is skulls with green lighting eyes.

Big change from what I'm used to seeing at my parents house. They use the fake tree mainly so there isnt something to throw out apart from wrapping paper, and also cuz of the pets. Theirs is white though, and always all bright and cheerful lol! First time my mom saw my tree she said it was horrible and I shouldn't use it for Christmas so of course I set it up in my room and decorated it in defyance. Oddly she liked it better after I did. :p

My family just got our tree today actually, hahah. A nicely sized noble fir, if not a little shorter than we prefer it. There's no decorations on it yet 'cause we're gonna wait until my sister comes back next week to do that. We [i]are[/i], however, going to put the lights on it within the next couple days. Gosh, now it finally feels like Christmas.

I'll be posting a photo once we get it all decorated in our old baby, homemade, yearly store-bought, etc. ornaments. :3

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]I'm allergic to trees but not pine trees so I don't panic.

Instead I decorate with origami cranes and little oblong ball shapes also made from paper. And I use my childhood ornaments and white instead of colored chrismtas tree lights. My boyfriend's a celtic druid, so he just appreciates the green tree and sort of glosses over the Christmas party of the winter season.

The thankless dope.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]We used to always get a real tree when I was a kid, but now that we're all older my parents have switched to a fake one. It is nice looking, but just isn't the same as what we used to have. But I don't live at home anymore so I guess what kind they get doesn't really matter.

There isn't a lot of room at my apartment so other than some minor decor, we don't have any Christmas decorations up.[/FONT]

[FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Indigo"]Unfortunately, I'm allergic to a lot of greenery, including pine trees. At the same time, something about flocking a tree makes the point moot. So I can tolerate a flocked tree but not a regular green one. Right now Nathan and I have a little flocked one, but we're thinking of picking up a fake green one, eventually.

I do have special ornaments that I've collected over the years, but I honestly don't know what box they're in at the moment so it's mainly decorated with what he has. [/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Indi'][FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Indigo"]Unfortunately, I'm allergic to a lot of greenery, including pine trees. At the same time, something about flocking a tree makes the point moot. So I can tolerate a flocked tree but not a regular green one. [/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE][font=trebuchet ms]I don't understand what you mean by "flocking." The definitions I know don't seem to have anything to do with trees.[/font]

[FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Sara][font=trebuchet ms']I don't understand what you mean by "flocking." The definitions I know don't seem to have anything to do with trees.[/font][/quote]Wiki to the rescue: [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_tree#Flocking"][U]Flocking[/U][/URL] Also, just so you can see it for yourself, they look like this:

[IMG]http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/5905/flocking.jpg[/IMG]

For whatever reason, if that stuff is on it, then my allergies don't get clobbered.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Yea when I was younger we always went out and got a fresh one but us getting older and more lazy we bought a fake one with lights already on....and every family has those traditional ornaments that they have had since the dawning of time passed down through the family.

[quote name='Sara'][font=trebuchet ms]I don't understand what you mean by "flocking." The definitions I know don't seem to have anything to do with trees.[/font][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="times new roman"]Indi explained, but I refer to flocking as 'the white stuff.' The problem is that while trees shed needles sometimes, flocking comes off on your clothes and whatnot if it's not very carefully done.

Which means twice the cleanup. Same with tinsel really, only tinsel doesn't turn into a fine white powder the consistency of powdered sugar. So I go natural most of the time to save myself more vacuuming.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Indi'][FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Indigo"]Wiki to the rescue: [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_tree#Flocking"][U]Flocking[/U][/URL] Also, just so you can see it for yourself, they look like this:

[IMG]http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/5905/flocking.jpg[/IMG]

For whatever reason, if that stuff is on it, then my allergies don't get clobbered.[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]
[font=trebuchet ms]Okay, so that was about what I came up with. I just... didn't realise that anyone did it. Huh. [/font]

I used to get a real tree every year until 2 years ago we bought a fake tree to put up. It has lights built into it and i put up silver beads around it with old ornaments ive had and used all my life. And thn i have a moving santa holding a candle underneath and the angel up top =) Now for the presents..lol

[COLOR="Purple"][SIZE="1"]I helped decorate my sister's tree and it was soooooo much fun. I somehow managed to get glitter off ornaments and into my hair, and the tinsel too. > >;;

I'd be extremely sad if I were allergic to trees. I love the smell and all around happy atmosphere Christmas trees have. Plus, lying underneath one at night looking up at the lights is calming in a way.
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[quote name='Sara'][font=helvetica]People should post pictures of their trees.[/font][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Purple"][SIZE="1"]Yes indeed! Apparently, we have our tree, but it hasn't been put up yet. I haven't even seen it... Must be in the back yard chillin' out. I shall take a picture of it when we finally do get around to setting it up and decorating it.[/SIZE][/COLOR]