OtakuBoards

Reputation System: Yes or No?

James

Do you want a reputation system on OB?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a reputation system on OB?

• Yes - allow all members to add rep points.
    • Yes - allow only Moderators to add rep points.
    • No reputation system at all, thanks!

[quote name='Ace'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]One other thought I had was to have it vary depending on which skin you're using. For example, Caramelldansen could use "tsuntsun" and "deredere" or something. Dunno if that's possible, though, so whatever have you.[/FONT][/quote]
[COLOR=Blue]I'm going to say that this, while it would be fun, would likely be impossible. I guess in theory, it could be done but it would require massive edits to the code that I'm not currently positive how to make. If and when we do go through with this, it will have to be a unified system across all themes.[/COLOR]

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm all for it as long as there is A) a public option, B) you remove all the "fetus rights" wording in section C342 addendum Q, and C) you give $100,000,000 in early tax credits to Nebraska.

Honestly though, I cannot see how any good can come of this. I mean, if you are a good member with interesting posts other members probably already respect you. If not, other members probably either ignore you or write things like FAIL after your posts.

Edit: The Good/Evil meter idea is pretty nifty though. I wouldn't mind that.

[FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]I see it as a decoration more than anything, much like being able to see one's post counts. Doesn't change anything and doesn't really hurt it either. I've never used this type of system before so at this point, I figure why not? Though I definitely think it should be open to everyone, like others have said.[/COLOR][/FONT]

if everyone is okay with being judged.... then sure... though i am pretty sure it will turn into a popularity contest eventually, but since I dont care at all... I say go right ahead... people seem to want it and I am all for peer pressure.

[font=franklin gothic medium]Well, this poll has been open for a while now. It's looking pretty overwhelming in terms of people supporting this.

We will be going for John's idea, it's now just a matter of implementing it. There are a couple of things we have to do behind the scenes to make it work.

John's idea should prevent the whole popularity contest issue, because it'll just be a lighthearted good/evil meter rather than a good quality/bad quality issue.[/font]

[size=1][color=navy]Speaking of the whole good and evil thing, I was curious if you ever considered doing that RP thing or has it ever been done here? I've seen it on a lot of Final Fantasy message boards where people choose their class, and they battle each other and whatnot. I'm pretty certain stuff like that is pretty high in the bandwith department so I'm not suggesting it. I'm just curious about whether the conversation came up or not.[/size][/color]

[quote name='Xyandar']Are people going to know who rated them good or evil?? or will it be kept anonymous[/quote]
[COLOR=Blue]I guess that can be the next question. Should it be set so you can see who said what about you or should the comments be kept anonymous?[/COLOR]

[quote name='Petie'][COLOR=Blue]I guess that can be the next question. Should it be set so you can see who said what about you or should the comments be kept anonymous?[/COLOR][/QUOTE][font=helvetica]Oh. Hm.

I'd say leave it anonymous.[/font]

why? if you are willing to pass judgment then you should hae no problem putting your name behind it... well... not your real name... but you know what i mean... if we prevent people from hiding there identity, it could potentially stop prevent a few people from abusing the system.

[quote name='CaNz']why? if you are willing to pass judgment then you should hae no problem putting your name behind it... well... not your real name... but you know what i mean... if we prevent people from hiding there identity, it could potentially stop prevent a few people from abusing the system.[/quote]
[COLOR=Blue]I'm not worried as much about abuse with this version of the system. Plus, it will not be optional. It's a site-wide setting that determines whether or not you can see who left rep for you.

Plus, if a situation did arise, the user who left the comment is still stored with it so in the event someone was abusing it, they wouldn't be entirely anonymous.

That's just a counter-point for your abuse scenario though. If you simply want to be able to see the usernames, that's another matter entirely and is the point of the current discussion.[/COLOR]

it wouldn?t even bother me if people did abuse it, I just don?t see why you have to make it anonymous if this is gonna be all lighthearted fun. I would like to see who did it just so that i can laugh about it... but yes, i think if your not anonymous you are less likely to use it to send derogatory messages.

[FONT=Calibri]I was under the impression that a reputation system would be merely good or bad, without the messages. I don't particularly see accompanying messages as useful in either direction, so in that regard being able to see the names of the raters wouldn't really mean much.

If there are messages, though, I feel that the writer should have their name attached to it [I]and[/I] be visible to the community in general, in order to keep some personal responsibility involved. I.e., if you're going to bash someone, you'd best be comfortable with [I]anyone[/I] seeing what you wrote. Flaming over PMs is one thing. Using a rating function to personally attack someone is something else.

So, in summary: if messages, attach names and complete transparency; if no messages, no names.[/FONT]

[COLOR=Blue]I'm not sure it's possible to disable the ability to leave messages as as whole.

As for keeping the name visible, while this is easy, only the person leaving the rep and the person receiving it can see it. Reputation comments are not publicly visible regardless of whether or not they are left anonymously.
[/COLOR]

Here's how I've always seen karma systems work: you see a post, you react to it, you hit the karma up/down button next to their name. The page auto-refreshes, their karma has gone up or down. I've never heard of this business about leaving a message, but if that's the only type of karma plugin we could get, then it could work.

[quote name='Petie'][COLOR=Blue]only the person leaving the rep and the person receiving it can see it. Reputation comments are not publicly visible regardless of whether or not they are left anonymously.
[/COLOR][/quote] I can see why it was done like this in a regular karma system, as those are more judgmental and maybe people ought to know privately why they've been praised or condemned publicly. But I don't think this feature has any real function in the lighthearted good/evil system we're talking about implementing. Maybe if the comments were public it'd be fun to read through and see the silly things people said, but if it's just one person privately telling another person why they deemed them good or evil, it could be... [I]weird[/I]. Not to mention, having to type a message every time you just want to rate someone as good or evil could deter participation in the system.

[quote name='John']I can see why it was done like this in a regular karma system, as those are more judgmental and maybe people ought to know privately why they've been praised or condemned publicly. But I don't think this feature has any real function in the lighthearted good/evil system we're talking about implementing. Maybe if the comments were public it'd be fun to read through and see the silly things people said, but if it's just one person privately telling another person why they deemed them good or evil, it could be... [I]weird[/I]. Not to mention, having to type a message every time you just want to rate someone as good or evil could deter participation in the system.[/quote]
[COLOR=Blue]I only made changes to the existing reputation system and unfortunately, that is how it is coded. There is no way to make reputation comments public. However, you can choose not to comment at all and simply use the plus or minus choices which are currently labeled "I approve" and "I disapprove" respectively. I'll see if I can find a way to change that though.[/COLOR]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Yep. And, Colossus, I said "if this is a concern?" I personally don't care if people leave messages or not, but it would be great to design a system that most people are happy with.

Anyway, at least in the current setup leaving a message is optional. I personally can't imagine leaving messages, because that would get old very fast, especially if you want to tag a lot of posts. It'd be easier to just tag posts as good/evil and leave it at that.[/font]

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]The way I see it is so long as someone can see who left a message, if one is left, then we don't have to worry about abuse since it won't truly be anonymous. However if we're going with the evil/good deal, I'm not sure messages are even needed. It's going to be obvious that it's just for fun with that kind of possible result. [/FONT]

[quote name='chibi-master']Wait, [I]messages[/I]? If you wanted to do that, isn't there something called a 'reply button' that allows one to do that? I thought this was a poll on a RATING SYSTEM ONLY.:confused:[/quote]
[COLOR=Blue]vBulletin's reputation system, which is what this discussion is revolving around at its root, allows you to leave a comment with your reputation choice. Currently, I don't know how to disable the comment half of things. However, the comments are optional and it will still allow you to click submit without filling one in.

[B]Edit:[/B]
Scratch that. I figured out how to remove the form as well as change the text that displays. So, what do you think? Do we want to leave the ability to post comments there or take it out completely?
[/COLOR]

[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][SIZE="1"]I'm with Chibi. I don't really see a point in leaving a comment with a reputation thing, especially if this is just gonna be for fun.

If you [i]really[/i] have something to say, why hello there, reply button.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Blue]Okay, so here's what I've gathered from this thread so far:

[B]Rep Ability[/B]: All options open to all
[B]Rep Format[/B]: Good vs. Evil
[B]Anonymous Rep[/B]: TBA (See note below)
[B]Rep Comments[/B]: No

Are we all in agreement with the above? If so, the only thing we really need to discuss at this point is whether or not you should remain anonymous when you rep someone. Remember that there is no way to make it completely public so the only affect this setting would have would be to allow the person receiving the rep to see who gave it to them.
[/COLOR]