OtakuBoards

Who Dat!

Allamorph

[quote name='Raiha'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]I confess an absolute ignorance of the significance of all of this, much less the topic title.

It must be one of those man football things.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Navy"][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="1"]Kill the non-believer![/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Raiha'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]I confess an absolute ignorance of the significance of all of this, much less the topic title.

After forty-three years, the New Orleans Saints finally made it to the Super Bowl. After weeks of ****-talking from multiple media outlets and analysts, the Saints beat the Colts 31-17, including outscoring them 31-7 after being down 10-0 in the first quarter, which tied the largest point deficit comeback in Super Bowl history. A tide of naysayers ate their words as MY HOMETOWN TEAM proved what I've been saying all year. I said from the day they got Gregg Williams and saw a live practice at the facility here in Metairie that they would be going to the Super Bowl.

So, yes, it's one of those football things.

We lit my street on fire. Spelled out "WHO DAT?!" in gas and, along with the rest of the two hundred some-odd surrounding blocks made far more noise than we should have on a Sunday night.

With a few exceptions, I never loved my city and my state more than now. What the Saints did was more than win a sports game. They carried our pride and determination onto a worldwide stage and showed that they were playing for someone more than themselves.

And we love them for it.

[quote name='Sara']I keep hearing people say this, and I don't know what it means, and [i]no one will explain it to me.[/i][/QUOTE]

The Who Dat is a decades-old chant to cheer on the Saints and generally raise Hell about.

"Who Dat?! Who Dat?! Who Dat Say Dey Gonna Beat Dem Saints?!"

Often times shouted at deafening levels.

The pronunciation comes from our dialect down here, mostly in Chalmette, Meraux, Arabi, and St. Bernard.

[quote name='Sara']I keep hearing people say this, and I don't know what it means, and [i]no one will explain it to me.[/i][/QUOTE]

Say it with a Cajun accent and you'll understand. You may have also heard of us spelling the word "go" G-E-A-U-X, and it's usually used when referring to the two teams we're most famous for.

*is a resident of Baton Rouge*

[quote name='taperson'][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Blue"][B][FONT="Arial Black"]COLTS 4EVA BBY[/FONT][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

I'll say the same thing I said about Brett Favre about Peyton Manning; wonderful man, embodies the greatness of football, future Hall of Famer...but tonight? F 'em.

Have fun licking your wounds. We were due ours. :P

[color=darkred][size=1]Don't feel bad. I'm one of those certified men, and I have only the slightest inkling as to what happened. I was too busy playing games on the computer to pay much attention to the game, anyways.

--Christopher; never got that into football, really[/color][/size]

[size=1][color=darkred]You're not alone there Gavin. While I am a fan of football, I can never sit down to watch a full game for nothing. But I do get my updates by watching the espn channel though.

Anyway, I didn't watch the game (honestly, I'm more of a NBA fan over NFL), and I was rooting for both teams actually since I like Peyton Manning, but I do think New Orleans definately deserved it more. (Besides, they got the best colors in the NFL :)) They been through a lot and last I recall they haven't won much of anything. (While the Hornets are doing pretty decent, I don't think they're as nearly as good as last season)

But yeah, congrats Saints.

[quote name='chibi-master]But [b]hoo-rah[/b'] for the winning team, I guess. [/quote]

Everytime I see that word it seems like marine corp talk. (I think the sayin I'm thinking of, though, is "ooh-rah")[/size][/color]

[font=trebuchet ms] After sharing a production room with the sports editors for several months, this year I actually understood the details of the Superbowl. It seemed like a win for New Orleans would be awesome, so I'm glad they won. Also I freaking love the fleur-de-lis.

I never really got into football, which I am sorta sad over because it seems fun. I still have tennis, though :)[/font]

[quote name='chibi-master']That is in fact the saying you're thinking of, but it's an Army thing, not Marine.:animesmil[/QUOTE]

[size=1]The Marines say it, too. Trust me; my boyfriend's related to one. -__- I hear it often enough to know.[/size]

[quote name='Gavin][size=1']One of these days I must really sit down and watch a full game of American football, all the stopping makes it damn near impossible to get into after years of rugby.[/size][/quote]
[FONT=Calibri]I say, old chap!
[CENTER][IMG]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z158/Allamorph/Misc/conandoyle.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]
(Although really we should call it handegg.)
[CENTER][IMG]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_APjgPmP_12w/SZEkmZuG1CI/AAAAAAAAEc0/mZzSuIDvRR0/Handegg_thumb4.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

[quote name='Lunox][font=trebuchet ms']I never really got into football, which I am sorta sad over because it seems fun. I still have tennis, though :)[/font][/quote]
It's a load more fun when it's not constantly being interrupted by commercials and booth reviews. Mainly the booth reviews, which take up the better part of twenty minutes just to say "yeah, we got it right" every other play.

Probably would have rooted for the Colts except I can't stand how they half-*** the entire first half of the regular season and then go OH RIGHT PLAYOFFS and start playing at their actual ability level. Great team, arguably the best in the league, but I just can't stand the mindset they seem to have.

[B]Edit:[/B] Incidentally, most of us can tell if you never got into football without you actually saying you never got into football. It's also perfectly fine if you never got into football. Those of us who do will go "okay, cool" and let it go. But when you tell us through mannerisms that you never got into football and then you tell us you never got into football explicitly, we kinda think you're being a turd.

(^_^)[/FONT]