OtakuBoards

Official OtakuBoards XL Bugs Topic

James

[quote name='Desbreko' date='04 June 2010 - 09:52 PM' timestamp='1275713522' post='694632']
[color="#4b0082"]Another member just had the same problem and had to borrow her sister's account to PM me and ask for help. I've validated both accounts through the admin cp, but I haven't been able to figure out what's wrong with the e-mail validation yet.[/color][/quote]

[font="Tahoma"]Yays! I can post now. Thank you Des! :lol:

Just so you know, I got this error "[/font]www.otakuboards.com Driver Error" when I tried to log in. It said to try refreshing so I did and it finally went away. ^^

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=#4B0082]Sorry Shy, not even switching to new software managed to get rid of Shinmaru. He's too deep in the system to remove at this point.

Anyway, I just disabled e-mail validation for new registration so that people can actually join without me having to validate every new account. Once we get the forum e-mail working, I'll re-enable it.[/color]

[quote name='Shy' date='05 June 2010 - 04:54 PM' timestamp='1275782068' post='694679']
Shinmaru bugs me in this new version. Is there a patch for that?

-Shy
[/quote]

I'm already out of your plane; I have to be off your site, too? :(

[quote name='Desbreko' date='05 June 2010 - 05:23 PM' timestamp='1275783784' post='694686']
[color=#4B0082]Sorry Shy, not even switching to new software managed to get rid of Shinmaru. He's too deep in the system to remove at this point.[/color]
[/quote]
[font="Comic Sans MS"]He's part of theO's core programming code now. Even attempting to purge him might damage the entire network irreparably.

EDIT: Speaking of the network, perhaps the top bar should link back to theOtaku? It's partly a selfish request, since I used to use OB as a front door, but we should probably still be associated with the site we're supposed to be the forums of, right?[/font] Edited by gallowsCalibrator

[quote name='gallowsCalibrator' date='06 June 2010 - 01:37 AM' timestamp='1275802657' post='694703']
[font="Comic Sans MS"]EDIT: Speaking of the network, perhaps the top bar should link back to theOtaku? It's partly a selfish request, since I used to use OB as a front door, but we should probably still be associated with the site we're supposed to be the forums of, right?[/font]
[/quote]
[color="#0000ff"]It's a work in progress. The plan is to eventually have a nice tab that links to various parts of the network. In the mean time though, there's a link to theOtaku in the footer.[/color]

[quote name='Petie' date='05 June 2010 - 11:00 PM' timestamp='1275804059' post='694704']
[color="#0000ff"]It's a work in progress. The plan is to eventually have a nice tab that links to various parts of the network. In the mean time though, there's a link to theOtaku in the footer.[/color]
[/quote]
[font="Comic Sans MS"]Well, so long as I know it's coming, I'm fine with the wait.

Also oh hello there. Totally didn't notice that.[/font]

[quote name='Petie'][color="#0000ff"]In the mean time though, there's a link to theOtaku in the footer.[/color][/quote]
[FONT=Calibri]If I recall, there was one in the previous version as well. "No one looks down there" was what I said last time, I believe.

Not that I'm being impatient. Just pointing it out. (^_^)[/FONT]

[font="Palatino Linotype"]What we hope to have is another tab at the top for network links. The page should end up looking like the help page, where you'll have the title of the site and then a blurb underneath. So it'll end up being much more prominent than anything we had on the old versions.[/font]

[font="Tahoma"]If I'm using Wet Paint when I post it just hangs and seems to do nothing. But if I refresh then my post is there. :unsure: But when I use basic it doesn't do that and my post shows right up. Don't know if that's a bug or not. I like the orange but I never know if my post went through or not unless I refresh. So for now I've switched to basic. ^^[/font]

[quote name='Selene Shri' date='06 June 2010 - 08:06 PM' timestamp='1275879989' post='694770']
[font="Tahoma"]If I'm using Wet Paint when I post it just hangs and seems to do nothing. But if I refresh then my post is there. :unsure: But when I use basic it doesn't do that and my post shows right up. Don't know if that's a bug or not. I like the orange but I never know if my post went through or not unless I refresh. So for now I've switched to basic. ^^[/font]
[/quote]

I'm having the same issue. At first I thought it was my internet having a slow day but its been happening more often.

Edit: I'm using the Wet Paint skin. Edited by Cat

Okay, thank goodness I'm not the only one having that problem. lol Yeah, with a majority of my posts, it just stays there as if it's trying to send the message through, but when I check the thread itself the post is already there. As a note, I'm using the Basic skin.

[color=#4B0082]I think that problem might also be related to OB being unable to send e-mail. If someone is watching a thread and has it set to e-mail them whenever someone replies, it could be hanging while trying and failing to send the e-mail. I've also gotten the same thing when sending PMs.[/color]

[font="Palatino Linotype"]Man, we have consistently had problems with OB sending out email. It's very frustrating. Is this more of a server-side issue or something based on our IPB setup? [/font]

[quote name='James' date='07 June 2010 - 09:52 PM' timestamp='1275961946' post='694840']
[font="Palatino Linotype"]Man, we have consistently had problems with OB sending out email. It's very frustrating. Is this more of a server-side issue or something based on our IPB setup? [/font]
[/quote]
[color="#0000ff"]I feel like this is a server-side issue as I checked IPB's email settings and everything seems okay. Granted, I'm not entirely sure what would be causing this on the server side either.[/color]

[quote name='Petie' date='08 June 2010 - 02:42 PM' timestamp='1275968536' post='694848']
[color="#0000ff"]I feel like this is a server-side issue as I checked IPB's email settings and everything seems okay. Granted, I'm not entirely sure what would be causing this on the server side either.[/color]
[/quote]

[font="Palatino Linotype"]I've just posted something from Adam in the Secret Special Place. I hope it helps.[/font]

I am not sure if this is an issue or not that was brought up. However It feels like the only cookie that the new software is having the username/password filled out. Is there a way to keep myself logged in without signing me out every time I open a new window? It's really frustrating. Please look into it when you have the time, thanks.

EDIT: I get the lagging thing too with posting. The, "I post but it takes forever to load but if I open it in a new page, my post is there," thing. Using wet paint too. Edited by Japan

[quote name='James' date='07 June 2010 - 11:59 PM' timestamp='1275969567' post='694850']
[font="Palatino Linotype"]I've just posted something from Adam in the Secret Special Place. I hope it helps.[/font]
[/quote]
[color="#0000ff"]I updated the email settings to reflect his suggestions. Hopefully that does it.[/color]

[quote name='Japan' date='08 June 2010 - 12:27 AM' timestamp='1275971274' post='694851']
I am not sure if this is an issue or not that was brought up. However It feels like the only cookie that the new software is having the username/password filled out. Is there a way to keep myself logged in without signing me out every time I open a new window? It's really frustrating. Please look into it when you have the time, thanks.

EDIT: I get the lagging thing too with posting. The, "I post but it takes forever to load but if I open it in a new page, my post is there," thing. Using wet paint too.
[/quote]
[color="#0000ff"]This problem seems inconsistent as I have never had a problem with it. My suggestion for now would be to log out, click the "Delete My Cookies" link at the bottom of this page, close the browser, re-open it, and log back in, making sure remember me is checked. This will force the cookies to be re-issued and hopefully resolve your problem.[/color]

[font="Palatino Linotype"]Perhaps we can test this and if the system seems to be working we can turn email activation back on. It'll be interesting to see if we still get so many hanging issues when people try to post.[/font]

[quote name='Petie' date='07 June 2010 - 10:06 PM' timestamp='1275973587' post='694852']
[color="#0000ff"]I updated the email settings to reflect his suggestions. Hopefully that does it.[/color]

[color="#0000ff"]This problem seems inconsistent as I have never had a problem with it. My suggestion for now would be to log out, click the "Delete My Cookies" link at the bottom of this page, close the browser, re-open it, and log back in, making sure remember me is checked. This will force the cookies to be re-issued and hopefully resolve your problem.[/color]
[/quote]

So far so good! I'll let you know by tomorrow for sure if the cookies keep.

[quote name='James' date='08 June 2010 - 01:50 AM' timestamp='1275976236' post='694854']
[font="Palatino Linotype"]Perhaps we can test this and if the system seems to be working we can turn email activation back on. It'll be interesting to see if we still get so many hanging issues when people try to post.[/font]
[/quote]
[color="#0000ff"]Well I checked the logs and my initial reply to this thread after making the changes triggered a successful email to a subscriber of the thread so that's encouraging.[/color]

[size="2"][font="Arial"]So, not that I'm completely freaking out or anything, but......why can't I access my old posts? I know they're still there because if I just search 'Asphyxia' they come up, but if I click through my profile it says I have twelve. [i]Twelve[/i]. And now there's a new layout and people [Lady Shy?!?!] have changed their names and I should know them and I [i]don't[/i] and I'm kind of feeling a little like the floor has dropped out from underneath me. Kinda like a newbie, actually.

Also....can I have my star back, pls? I feel so naked without it.
[/font][/size]

[font="Palatino Linotype"]We made a couple of announcements about the change in advance and we've now been on the new version for almost two weeks. A couple of weeks can be a long time when a big change happens, though!

In terms of your old posts, you can still access them, but it looks like the new software will only start tracking post history based on any posts you start making on this new version.

Unfortunately when we move to a completely new software platform we can't keep everything the way it was (because it's just not technically possible - it's like going from Windows XP straight to Windows 7). However, your entire history of posts is still here as are all your personal messages and that type of stuff. In other words, all the vital information that we'd really hate to lose.

If you're looking for a bit more information on why we made this change, I recommend checking out OB World - there are a couple of posts there about this new version.

And I know I've already said this, but it's worth just saying again that we're still working on a number of major areas of this site so that we can "complete" the transition. There's actually a ton of stuff still to do. You will see more elements being rolled out within the coming weeks. :)
[/font]